Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FamousThomas
Jul 16, 2006

Hey, Fry. Wake up, it's me, BIGFACE!
how do you deal with those copper wires in audio cables with the little (i think) Nylon thread inside them?

I'm trying to rewire some REALLY hold earphones to a rather new headphone jack and i just cant seem to get a connection.

I can post pictures if it'll help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FamousThomas
Jul 16, 2006

Wouldn't that just melt the sheathing all over the wire?

Tearing the wire is defiantly what's happening here and probably why i cant get a connection.

FamousThomas
Jul 16, 2006

I'm pretty new to electronics so possibly a dumb question:

If I hooked the +/- leads to a motor to a lightbulb and spun the motor, would it work like a turbine.

If not, where would I find such a turbine?

FamousThomas
Jul 16, 2006

Ah, I never thought to use bike lights, that's perfect!

Thanks, pals.

FamousThomas
Jul 16, 2006

I have some projects where I need to stick metal to metal. A soldering iron doesn't work because everything need to be hot enough for that to happen. Is there something between a soldering iron and a welding torch I can use for small projects?

FamousThomas
Jul 16, 2006

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Brazing or silver soldering, usually with propane, MAPP, or air-acetylene.

Also, almost everyone will recommend JB Weld for most metal-to-metal sticking duties.

Thanks, if this JB Weld is as good as everyone claims it will probably be the best option. (I live in an apartment and welding is probably frowned upon)

Thanks!

FamousThomas
Jul 16, 2006

You guys were so darn helpful before I'll ask another question!

I'd like to do some drilling into metal but my little hand held drill doesn't seem to cut it. Do I need a special drill bit or is there a technique or some kind of god I need to make a blood sacrifice to?

When I try it just sort of spins and doesn't go anywhere.

FamousThomas
Jul 16, 2006

Thanks guys, I'll keep an eye out for this super drill bit next time I'm out.

FamousThomas
Jul 16, 2006

So I'm trying my first circuit on a breadboard and it needs 6v of power.

Can I plug in two 3v (2 AA Battery containers) into the + and - rails or do I have to go all the way downtown to get a 4AA battery container?

FamousThomas
Jul 16, 2006

So it's probably best to get get a 4 seater then?

FamousThomas
Jul 16, 2006

slap me silly posted:

Like this, and you get a 3V point as well:

Ah!

Thanks. I'm much more of a visual learner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FamousThomas
Jul 16, 2006

I use a lot of epoxies and heavy adhesives and I'm starting to get worried about what I'm breathing. What type of face mask / respirator should I get to keep me from going all Mad Hatter?