Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuesday Morning
Apr 20, 2004

Staring directly into the collective Goatse.cx of the Internet’s soul.
So I have kind of a silly question, but after seeing how awesome this stuff in here is, I figure you guys would know best.

How much more versatile is knitting than crocheting? Is it that crocheting is more loose and lacey rather than tight and functional?

(Also, Google Embryo made me baby booties and a baby hat and a regular hat for me and a kitty that I should snap a picture of and post in here to add to her collection.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one

Tuesday Morning posted:

So I have kind of a silly question, but after seeing how awesome this stuff in here is, I figure you guys would know best.

How much more versatile is knitting than crocheting? Is it that crocheting is more loose and lacey rather than tight and functional?

(Also, Google Embryo made me baby booties and a baby hat and a regular hat for me and a kitty that I should snap a picture of and post in here to add to her collection.)

I'm a novice crocheter but it seems to me that anything like that would be more representative of your tension while crocheting or knitting. I've seen beautiful things made by crochet that were still functional and I've knitted plenty of lace that wouldn't keep you warm on a 70 degree day.

Also, yeah, take some drat pictures already since I forgot to!

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.
I just started knitting, and I guess right now I'm just making a 15 stitch strip, like a scarf! What else would any of you suggest making just to learn and practice? Do you have any general tips for me? I looked around on a lot of the links that have been posted, but it'd still be nice to get some input from you pro knitters.

guaranteed
Nov 24, 2004

Do not take apart gun by yourself, it will cause the trouble and dangerous.
I haven't advanced all that far into the knitting world, but back when I first picked it up in high school, I had a book that had you just make garter stitch squares with one strand of white and one of various colors held together. You could either use them as pot holders or sew them together for a nice thick afghan. I wonder where that went...

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

DaisyDanger posted:

I just started knitting, and I guess right now I'm just making a 15 stitch strip, like a scarf! What else would any of you suggest making just to learn and practice? Do you have any general tips for me? I looked around on a lot of the links that have been posted, but it'd still be nice to get some input from you pro knitters.

Look for washcloth patterns. They range from super easy knit & purl patterns all the way up to lace. I like them because they're pretty quick to knit and the cotton yarn is like a dollar a Wal-Mart and comes in pretty colors. Definitely a good way to try a new technique the first time without a lot of commitment.

machinegirl
Apr 16, 2002

*sigh*

Aery posted:

Do you know the # or name of that colorway? It looks IDENTICAL to some that Kat from SWTC sent me and I love it so much. She put about 4 in there that I haven't been able to find anywhere before or again and it's killing me!

I don't have the tag any more. :( I got it in Decemberish of last year. If it's the same, it will mention Un-EWE-usal on the label somewhere. Unless they weren't labeled. I'm in love with it too, and wish I could find more. I'm due for a trip to my LYS before Friday. I'll take it in and ask, if you'd like!

Aery
Nov 15, 2005

Where is my motherfucking HAT

machinegirl posted:

I don't have the tag any more. :( I got it in Decemberish of last year. If it's the same, it will mention Un-EWE-usal on the label somewhere. Unless they weren't labeled. I'm in love with it too, and wish I could find more. I'm due for a trip to my LYS before Friday. I'll take it in and ask, if you'd like!

Please do, mine were all labelled with numbers. I got a lot of test runs in that batch, and they all just had numbers that didn't correspond to anything I could find :( so it's possible that it might be the same!

boobookitty
Jul 25, 2004

DaisyDanger posted:

Well, I'm not a pro by any means, but what I suggest is to try something new with each project. I've never actually done a washcloth, and I've only done one scarf (which was the first project I started, but probably the third or fourth I completed), but they would be a good way to practice stitch patterns. I just kind of dove right into making things without thinking, "is this beyond my skill level?"

Trying new things each project can be a great way to get the techniques down. Stick with garter stitch for the first project, then try purling the next. Then you've got down both major stitches. Pay attention to how your stitches look; make sure they aren't being twisted. If there are problems like dropped stitches, use the early projects as a learning opportunity for fixing them (I'd recommend staying away from the fun fur for that reason--you can't see a thing with it, and even if you can and you have a dropped stitch, it'll probably become so knotted trying to get the stitch it isn't worth it). From there you can move onto decreases and increases or knitting in the round. Try something on circular needles or DPNs (which are absolutely nothing to be frightened of). If you just want to practice for a while on washcloths and scarves that's fine too. I should probably do more of that myself :).

Knitting Help is probably my favorite online resource for finding out how to make certain stitches. It tells you how to do things whether you're an English or continental knitter, and I think they might teach some stuff in combination style, too.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Thanks for all your tips! I'm going to make this little swatch for a bit until I get bored, then make a potholder or washcloth. I do have a question though.

On this piece, I started with 15 stitches cast-on, and now I have like 19 stitches after about 10 rows. What did I do?

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
^
You probably accidentally knitted into both loops of your first stitch when you started a row a few times. That can happen if your yarn isn't in the front of your work after you turn because it pulls the stitch back, making it look like there's two stitches. It's a pretty common mistake: just watch for where your working yarn is when you turn and keep counting your stitches to make sure it doesn't change.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~
Are any of you knitters left handed? I've tried a few times to pick up knitting, but everytime I try, I have a hard time because the yarn comes from the right, and needs to be manipulated with the right hand. Is there such a thing as left handed knitting, or backwards knitting or something?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Reformed Tomboy posted:

Are any of you knitters left handed? I've tried a few times to pick up knitting, but everytime I try, I have a hard time because the yarn comes from the right, and needs to be manipulated with the right hand. Is there such a thing as left handed knitting, or backwards knitting or something?

It sounds like you've learned to knit English style. Give continental (German) a try. The yarn comes from the left and is manipulated with the left. There are some great videos on Knitting Help!

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

effika posted:

It sounds like you've learned to knit English style. Give continental (German) a try. The yarn comes from the left and is manipulated with the left. There are some great videos on Knitting Help!

Will do, thanks!

boobookitty
Jul 25, 2004
Also, if you did real left-handed knitting (working left to right)the problem would be that patterns aren't written like that. They are always worked right to left. There is a way to knit left to right--I'm doing that right now for a hat that I'm working on, actually, since it involves a logo in the middle of a black hat--but it just really wouldn't work well with how patterns are written. You would have to reverse everything, and it would just be a pain in the butt.

I knit continentally. It's the way I taught myself how to knit, and I feel way more comfortable doing that than English style. It seems to go a lot faster. However, when knitting backwards, I have to use an adapted English style.

MallcoreMotion
Jul 30, 2006
Neat, I never would've expected a knitting thread.

Do any of you guys own the Domiknitrix book? I've heard horror stories about the patterns but I've heard a lot of good things too.

kumquatsforall
Apr 12, 2007
There's no basement in the Alamo!
I just started knitting, and my friend really wanted this hat off of Shanalogic, but didn't want to pay the $35 for it, so I got to work.

As modeled by Tako the Octopus. It no longer looks like a boob thanks to the ruffle, hooray.
I just got a book about knitting stuffed animals, and I'm very excited about that.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math

MallcoreMotion posted:

Neat, I never would've expected a knitting thread.

Do any of you guys own the Domiknitrix book? I've heard horror stories about the patterns but I've heard a lot of good things too.

I own it, but I haven't actually attempted any of the patterns yet (Ordered yarn for Snood though, and Sweetheart and the Red Riding Hood sweater are on my wish list). There are some pretty nice instructions in the beginning though, with nice photo illustrations. Also I appreciate the author's effort to provide pieces that require as little finishing as possible.

Also in regards to left handed knitting: I'm a lefty and I learned English style right handed. I really don't think I was at any disadvantage learning to knit; it's just hard to figure out for most people for a while until everything clicks.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

My sister-in-law is going to have another baby in either April or May and I wanted to make a stuffed animal as a gift for the future boy or girl. I used to crochet but gave it up a long time ago, and have been interested in knitting though never tried. How hard is it to make a stuffed toy with knitting, and would it be more durable than one made by crocheting? I am a quick learner, but honestly, how advanced is a project like that going to be for someone with no experience?

ClearPopcornBags
May 23, 2006

...must...eat...brains...
Aw man, I never realized there were different ways to knit for us poor left-handers. I learned from my mother and my nana, who is British. She just kinda laughs at me when she she's how I've figured out how to do it left handed. I'll definitely be trying that German style.

edit: Hahaha, I should have just video taped myself trying to do the Continental. This going to be harder than I thought. Also, off to the store tomorrow to buy yarn that is not all bumpy. to make this easier.

Also, before I go crazy asking, how do you guys feel about sharing patterns for some of the stuff you've posted pictures of? I would love to know how you knitted the cell phone case OP, as well as a few others that people have posted, like the Ipod case. I've been knitting for about 5 years now on and off, but I haven't made more than regular scarves, and I'm just trying to grasp the concept of patterns, but I'm not really up on the knitting lingo. Is there like a knitting dictionary? :)

ClearPopcornBags fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jan 9, 2008

boobookitty
Jul 25, 2004

Windy posted:

How hard is it to make a stuffed toy with knitting, and would it be more durable than one made by crocheting? I am a quick learner, but honestly, how advanced is a project like that going to be for someone with no experience?

It depends on the stuffed toy. For example, this toy, the Knitty Kitty is extremely simple with only a little bit of increasing/decreasing However, the hedgehog I posted isn't one I would tackle as a beginner knitter.

Regarding which is more durable--with crochet, you almost always have a denser piece, and it seems to have more physical strength--you can have toys that have legs and they will be able to stand without any trouble. If a knit toy is felted, such as the hedgehog, it is very durable. I would think that a knit toy would be more likely to snag than a crochet one, at least, given the fact that the mermaid my grandmother made me lasted 20 years now almost with no stitch abuse, and the knit bear I made snagged right before I had to ship it off (I did fix it, of course).

I should say, though, that a knit piece can be knit more dense by using a smaller gauge, making it less likely to snag. But if you wanted to do something like a standing giraffe, crochet would be the way to go. I would think a bear to snuggle with could be fine either way.

boobookitty fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jan 9, 2008

machinegirl
Apr 16, 2002

*sigh*

kumquatsforall posted:

I just started knitting, and my friend really wanted this hat off of Shanalogic, but didn't want to pay the $35 for it, so I got to work.

As modeled by Tako the Octopus. It no longer looks like a boob thanks to the ruffle, hooray.
I just got a book about knitting stuffed animals, and I'm very excited about that.

That. Is. Sickeningly. CUTE. So much that I must make myself one soon. Also where did you get Tako the Octopus? I have a Tako the Ocotpus-sized hole in my life that needs filling!

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

ClearPopcornBags posted:

Also, before I go crazy asking, how do you guys feel about sharing patterns for some of the stuff you've posted pictures of? I would love to know how you knitted the cell phone case OP, as well as a few others that people have posted, like the Ipod case. I've been knitting for about 5 years now on and off, but I haven't made more than regular scarves, and I'm just trying to grasp the concept of patterns, but I'm not really up on the knitting lingo. Is there like a knitting dictionary? :)
Here are a couple of online guides to pattern abbreviations. A lot of books, especially beginner ones, have help with learning to read a pattern also. People seemed to like the first Stitch 'N Bitch book, and for instructional stuff I'm really fond of Nancie Wiseman's Knitter's Book of Finishing Techniques. It's got good photos and instructions for cast-ons, cast-offs, increases, and decreases. If you get into trying a lot of different techniques, that huge Vogue Knitting book is pretty badass.

Posting patterns for anything designed by others is a copyright violation (even if it's a free one), but I'd love to see any patterns people here have written. If you have questions about specific projects, I'm sure some of us could point out how you can find either those patterns or similar ones.

I don't have specific instructions for the cell phone case. I was making it up as I went along, and a written pattern would really only be useful to those with the same size cell. But I can still explain how I made it.

I picked yarn from my stash that was soft but would hold up well. Then I knit a small swatch, using needles smaller than I would ordinarily choose for that yarn. I wanted a dense fabric to help protect my phone a little. I ended up unraveling my first swatch and trying one with even smaller needles until I got the result I wanted.

Then came the math. I figured out how many stitches per inch my swatch had, and then measured around my cell phone. I took the inches around my phone, multiplied the stitches per inch, and that gave me a guideline for how many stitches to cast on. I decided to cast on a few less stitches than that guideline to help make the case tight.

I used double pointed needles, and knit the case in the round. Since I was knitting the yarn pretty tightly this was kind of a pain in the rear end, thankfully cell phone cases are small. I knit two row stripes, and just eyeballed the length against my cell phone as I was knitting. After it was as long as I wanted, I moved the stitches around so they were only on two needles and did a three-needle bind off (you can see that in the last video on this page). You could just as easily bind off normally and then seam up the bottom. Then I made an I-cord (video here) and attached it in a loop. Getting my phone in the case the first time was a bit of a squeeze, but knitting stretches pretty well so it turned out perfectly.

If you're nervous about the sizing, try using a wool yarn (one that's not marked "superwash"). Then if your case is too large, you can hand wash it in hot water with a bit of gentle soap until it shrinks some. While it's still wet you'll be able to stretch it into shape.

Hope that helps!

deety fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jan 9, 2008

yuk_mistress
May 11, 2007

Google Embryo posted:

This is my winter scarf. Basic feather and fan stitch.

This is lovely. How did you get the border on that. I'm almost done with a scarf (my first project yippie) and I'm using 3 different skeins, basically using different yarn every 2 rows, and the edge where the yarn runs up the side is sloppy, I was thinking of crocheting an edge but then I have a "right side" and a "wrong side". I think I'm ok with that, I just want a clean finished piece.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

I picked up knitting as a hobby a couple of months ago, and these are some of the things I've knitted so far.

A scarf for my boyfriend:

I've knitted several pairs of these felted slippers, they're really easy and fun to knit, and great no-brain knitting when working night shifts:

Felted tote bag:

Midnight Sun fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jan 9, 2008

Strelnikov
Jul 25, 2004
I want to compose and decompose.
For those of you who like felting, what yarns do you like best for it? I have a couple felted projects in mind... I want to make a messenger bag, which would need a pretty sturdy stiff fabric, and I also want to make a shibori felted trapeze dress, which I'd imagine would need something a little more lightweight. I've done felting before with Manos del Uruguay and Brown Sheep Worsted, and the fabric I got with the Manos is pretty much what I had in mind for the dress. But it's kind of expensive and I'd have to buy so much :( I really want to use Brown Sheep for the bag, but I've yet to find a yarn shop near me that carries it.

What yarns have you used, and how did the fabric turn out?

Aery
Nov 15, 2005

Strelnikov posted:

For those of you who like felting, what yarns do you like best for it? I have a couple felted projects in mind... I want to make a messenger bag, which would need a pretty sturdy stiff fabric, and I also want to make a shibori felted trapeze dress, which I'd imagine would need something a little more lightweight. I've done felting before with Manos del Uruguay and Brown Sheep Worsted, and the fabric I got with the Manos is pretty much what I had in mind for the dress. But it's kind of expensive and I'd have to buy so much :( I really want to use Brown Sheep for the bag, but I've yet to find a yarn shop near me that carries it.

What yarns have you used, and how did the fabric turn out?

I felt with kureyon A LOT and have gotten anything from a lightweight fuzzy end result to a nice sturdy fabric that will probably last forever (cat toys) depending on how long I felt it.

I have also felted Karaoke which gives a much softer fabric as the end result no matter how long I felt it, but went denser much more quickly than the kureyon did.

Actually, I have felted with about 50 different types of yarn now that I think about the various patchwork projects I have made :D

I would suggest seeing what 100% animal and and soy blends are available near you, knit up swatches and then felt them all to varying degrees. Note how many cycles they went through (in a zippered pillow case for faster felting, without to slow it down) and figure out the end result you like the best.

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001

Aery posted:

I would suggest seeing what 100% animal and and soy blends are available near you, knit up swatches and then felt them all to varying degrees. Note how many cycles they went through (in a zippered pillow case for faster felting, without to slow it down) and figure out the end result you like the best.

Adding to Aery's excellent advice, you can also try knitting with doubled strands of yarn to see if you can get a thicker, stiffer felted fabric, one strand for a thinner and more supple fabric. Also, Manos is a single ply yarn and that probably contributed to the end result. Try looking for more economic options in a single ply wool. A quick search on Yarndex ( http://yarndex.com/ ) brings up a Cascade option, Pastaza, a heavy worsted single wool/llama blend ( http://yarndex.com/yarn.cfm?yarn_id=127 ) which looks like it sells for around $8.50 for 132 yards.

I've felted a lot with Cascade 220, Elann.com's Peruvian Highland wool and Knitpicks Wool of the Andes. All are excellent for felting, though I think that Cascade produced the smoothest, most even felt of the three.

Also, there are a number of good online retailers with good reputations, so don't be afraid to buy yarn online. It's not nearly as satisfying as being able to walk into your local shop, fondle stuff, and walk out after having spent way too much money though. ;)

fap
Jul 1, 2003

roll you up into my life.

ClearPopcornBags posted:

Also, before I go crazy asking, how do you guys feel about sharing patterns for some of the stuff you've posted pictures of? I would love to know how you knitted the cell phone case OP, as well as a few others that people have posted, like the Ipod case.

Here's the pattern for the ipod case, courtesy of angel_derailed on punk_knitters LiveJournal. Be warned though, there's a small cable on the back of it, which isn't too hard if you give it a try. As for the pocket, I just made a strip in K1P1 ribbing and sewed it on from the back. I also put a simple eyelet button hole on the flap.

By the way, anyone who crochets - would any of you happen to know how to make one of those katamari hats? I can find a knit pattern for it, but I like the style of the crocheted hats better.

I'll take a picture of my first homespun yarn when it dries and the twist sets a little more. It's not very good, but hey, it's my first try! I think I'm going to felt it, to hide the imperfections.

Does anyone here use knitpicks stuff? I just ordered a bunch of yarn and the Harmony Options needles. I can't wait till I get them and never have to buy another needle again, woo!

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001

fap posted:

I'll take a picture of my first homespun yarn when it dries and the twist sets a little more. It's not very good, but hey, it's my first try! I think I'm going to felt it, to hide the imperfections.

Does anyone here use knitpicks stuff? I just ordered a bunch of yarn and the Harmony Options needles. I can't wait till I get them and never have to buy another needle again, woo!

Whoo, more handspinners! The 2020 yards of lace shetland that I finally finished plying over the weekend is now drying. The whole thing was an experiment in taking raw fleece to the final product. I was swearing I would never ever ever do it again when I was covered in grease and sheep mud/poo poo up to my elbows and my apartment smelled like a barn, but watching the fleece turn into fluffy white balls of fiber and then eventually into beautiful creamy lace makes it almost a repeatable experience!

Are you a spindler, or have a wheel, or both? Personally, I couldn't get the hang of a spindle for the life of me, and went right to a Lendrum wheel.

I've used a good deal of stuff from Knitpicks, I love their metal Options set, and I'm considering buying another set of tips, since I always have too many things on the needles at once. Keep an eye on your order status though, since I read on Ravelry that the Harmonys have been on back-order and they don't always email you to let you know that.

boobookitty
Jul 25, 2004
I ordered the rest of the Harmony Options needles to flesh out my own set on 12/29, and they just shipped yesterday (01/08), although they said on the site that they would start shipping orders again on 1/02, I think. Regardless, it took them well over a week to even ship the order, which is a first for me. Almost every time I'd get an email within the day saying they would ship. So I think they were just filling on a first come, first serve basis versus the needles being backordered, but they didn't say anything about the status of the order beyond the fact that it was pending until I got the shipping email. I decided to put in an order before their shipment rates increased, and then I spent way over that limit anyway. I guess lots of other people had the same idea and/or were spending up their Christmas money.

I really do love their Options line. I hate aluminum needles, but the nickel-plated Options are so nice--at least when a cat doesn't treat them like a chew toy. My size 5 tips were victims of that recently. The Harmony Wood ones I'm trying to get more used to, because the coating, while smooth, kinda feels sticky to me too. Their wood DPNs have been perfect for the picot edging I need, which has to be worked on size 2 needles. The nickel ones were a little too slippery, but the wood ones did the trick. There's this one stitch--s1 k2 pass stitches 2 and 3 over slipped stitch--that was just too hard to do with those slippery nickel ones.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

I found a little dishcloth pattern to make and the only stitches required are knits and purls, which are perfect because that's really all I know for now. The problem is that when I switch between the two, I sometimes find a weird little X after I've already knit a row. I know that's not very descriptive, but maybe one of you knows what I'm talking about? It's like I crossed the yarn when I wasn't supposed to or something. If I keep knitting like that, I end up with a giant blob around the original X. I pulled the project off the needles out of frustration when I had knit about 5 rows with this gently caress up, or I'd take a picture.

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001

DaisyDanger posted:

I found a little dishcloth pattern to make and the only stitches required are knits and purls, which are perfect because that's really all I know for now. The problem is that when I switch between the two, I sometimes find a weird little X after I've already knit a row. I know that's not very descriptive, but maybe one of you knows what I'm talking about? It's like I crossed the yarn when I wasn't supposed to or something. If I keep knitting like that, I end up with a giant blob around the original X. I pulled the project off the needles out of frustration when I had knit about 5 rows with this gently caress up, or I'd take a picture.

When you're switching from a knit stitch to a purl stitch, you need to move the yarn your knitting with in between the knit stitch you just finished and the unknitted stitches on your left needle the to the "front" of the work before you do the purl stitch. Then to go from a purl stitch to a knit stitch, you need to move the yarn back between the stitch you just purled and the unknitted stitches on the left need to the "back" of the work before you do the knit stitch.

Does that make sense? What you're actually doing right now is called a "yarn over" and it's what you'll eventually use to make holes in your knitting on purpose, they're a main component of lace knitting.

Here's a video I just found: http://www.expertvillage.com/videos/scarf-knitting-purl.htm Around 1 minute into the video, she shows exactly what I'm talking about.

Kalista fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 9, 2008

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one

yuk_mistress posted:

This is lovely. How did you get the border on that. I'm almost done with a scarf (my first project yippie) and I'm using 3 different skeins, basically using different yarn every 2 rows, and the edge where the yarn runs up the side is sloppy, I was thinking of crocheting an edge but then I have a "right side" and a "wrong side". I think I'm ok with that, I just want a clean finished piece.

I just did single crochet around the edge. Thanks by the way! :3:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I handspin too, but I'm all out of practice. I used to do it all of the time in college since the student store sold a large ziploc bag filled with roving for ten dollars.

Anyway, does anyone here know any good online patterns for a felted messanger bag? My Aunt Nancy gave me a whole bunch of wool for Christmas and I could use a new bag. A few years ago I tried winging making a messanger bag and it sort of shrunk into a purse.

Antis0ciald0rk
Nov 30, 2002
wtf is this?
Yay! I've longed for there to be a thread about knitting for so long.

I've been knitting for 13 years but for about the last 2 years I've been going crazy with it. Any time I learn about a new stitch or technique I have to knit something that uses it. I have so many knit projects laying around that I'm eventually going to have to start up an etsy shop to sell them all off (and use the money to feed my yarn addiction).

These are just the items I have easy access to. I have several 13-Gallon storage containers full of things that I've knitted/crocheted/sewn and they're buried in the back of a closet right now.

Wide Rib Hat with Rolled Brim
Cascade Pastaza (50/50 Llama/Wool) Color #1107.

Top down baby bonnet. I didn't have any reason to make it, I just thought the figure-8 cast on that the pattern used was interesting and I had to try it.
The yarn is Lion Brand Micro Spun in Lilac. Despite being both acrylic and a craft store yarn, the finished product has a really awesome feel to it.

Cable Hat from the SnB book, Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride Worsted, Chianti

Cable Hat pattern from SnB with an unfinished matching scarf. There are matching mittens but I can't find them.
The yarn is Malabrigo Merino in Cinnabar.

Lace scarf, the yarn is egyptian cotton but I can't find the label and forgot the brand. It was from France, started with an L and it's not listed in YarnDex.

Another My so-called Scarf. This is in Arauciania Aysen (Wool/Alpaca/Silk) Color #805, I think this is one of the nicest yarns I've ever worked with. If your LYS carries it, check it out!

Crime Scene Scarf. You might recognize this from Craft 04. I haven't blocked it or sewn it up yet. The words repeat twice, making it extra long. The yellow is a decent craft store acrylic that I can't remember. The black is the dreaded Red Heart Super Saver. It was my first serious attempt at intarsia so I didn't feel like splurging on yarn. It turned out well enough that I really wish I would have used a nicer yarn for the letters.

Cable bag. Obviously unfinished. I need to order some hardware for it but I've been too lazy. It's in Lamb's Pride Worsted, Pistachio.

It's not knitting, but I figured I'd post it since the OP showed off the Craft 01 knit robot. This is the (partially finished) Crobot from the same issue.

Kalista, that DNA scarf rocks! I can already tell this thread is going to add a lot of things to my list of future projects.

starshaped
Oct 13, 2004
Antis0ciald0rk, I love your stuff! Cables rock.

Midnight Sun, that checkered felted bag kicks rear end! I love the colors you used.

I started that garterlac dishcloth yesterday after reading this thread, and so far, so good! I've gotten farther than I ever have before.

Glad to see more spinners! I started off on a spindle back in 2004 but didn't really get the hang of it until sometime in 2006. I bought a wheel, an Ashford Traditional, in 2007 sometime and I've spun mainly fingering weight yarn with it.

My wheel. I bought it from a woman in town who restores wheels, so I got this one for a good price. I love this thing.

400ish yards of 100% superwash wool I gave to my mom for Christmas. A friend of mine dyed it.

Another 400ish yards of some unidentified roving I got from a friend after I bought my wheel. It's pretty scratchy but I love the colors.

kumquatsforall
Apr 12, 2007
There's no basement in the Alamo!

machinegirl posted:

That. Is. Sickeningly. CUTE. So much that I must make myself one soon. Also where did you get Tako the Octopus? I have a Tako the Ocotpus-sized hole in my life that needs filling!

Thanks! I didn't use a pattern. If you know how to make a regular hat, you can make this cupcake boob. It's actually the second hat I've ever made, so it has to be easy. The ruffle is a separate piece, which I grafted on after completing the hat.

As for Tako, I bought him in Japan, where I'm living now. I'm working as an English teacher here and I recently discovered an awesome craft store in my town, so knitting is my new hobby. I got a book for Christmas called The World of Knitted Toys, and everyone I knew put in orders for platypi (platypusses?) and clownfish and such, so I've got my work cut out for me. The book is by Kath Dalmeny and has a ton of designs, so I'd recommend it for anyone looking for a book of stuffed animal patterns. I'm going to look around for some books here once I get paid again.

Sorry for the slight derail. Back to projects!

yuk_mistress
May 11, 2007

Wait what! People SPIN! Hot drat.. Looks less like I picked up a hobby and more like I picked up a lifestyle! It seems like I've stopped daydreaming about my SO and now daydream about knitting... and I've only been at it a couple of weeks. One of my closest friends just told me she's 5 weeks pregnant. This means I have to make TWO blankies (she already has a 7 yr old son... Don't wanna make something for the baby without making something for him. maybe an afghan with roller skates.. (both mom and dad are in roller derby.) I don't think I'll buy a gift ever again!
I'll post pics of the projects I'm currently working on, can't wait to share!

Aery
Nov 15, 2005

Another spinner here :D

I got a Babes wheel for my birthday last year and never looked back. I currently have a stockpile of .... 25 pounds of fiber waiting to be spun up. Dear lord I need to stop buying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

root a toot
Aug 7, 2006

mondo burger was manufactured and distributed to intentionally destroy the black community

starshaped posted:

Another 400ish yards of some unidentified roving I got from a friend after I bought my wheel. It's pretty scratchy but I love the colors.

That is goddamn beautiful. Maaad props.