Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Eat.Sleep.Knit - just bought from them and it went well.

Webs is still around and I almost bought from them last week (they were out of the colorway I wanted).

JimmyBeans Wool also is around; bought from them last in 2021.

WIP chat:

I'm trying out the new Malabrigo Ultimate Sock in a pair of socks- but I can only knit about 20 minutes a day. And I'm doing these on 1.75mm/US00 needles. I might have these finished by Thanksgiving!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I finished that pair of neon yellow/orange socks and holy crap they are unspeakably garish when seen in the sunlight, I love it.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Mad Hamish posted:

I finished that pair of neon yellow/orange socks and holy crap they are unspeakably garish when seen in the sunlight, I love it.

Those look so cheery!

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

I love those socks

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Mad Hamish posted:

Garish socks are the best. I knitted a pair from my most ridiculously loud colours, and I'm very fond of them. Bright yellow, pink and light blue... a fantastic combo!

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
Just figuring out the basics of knitting, but finished up a hat I've been wearing everywhere :D I think next is figuring out magic loop and making some socks.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Nur_Neerg posted:

Just figuring out the basics of knitting, but finished up a hat I've been wearing everywhere :D I think next is figuring out magic loop and making some socks.

Nice looking hat!

Socks are the best. I do suggest learning 2-at-a-time on magic loop-- it isn't any harder to learn, and you won't suffer from Second Sock Syndrome.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

effika posted:

Nice looking hat!

Socks are the best. I do suggest learning 2-at-a-time on magic loop-- it isn't any harder to learn, and you won't suffer from Second Sock Syndrome.

Any recommendation for a resource to learn 2-at-a-time? Progress on first sock is starting either way :)

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

ooh that's some nice yarn

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

ooh that's some nice yarn

It's Malabrigo Ultimate Sock in the color Camaleon :) Super lucky/unlucky to have a good yarn shop in walking distance.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Sup, Malabrigo Ultimate Sock buddy! :hfive:

This pair is in Whale's Road.

I've always been a fan of Silver's Sock Classes for learning 2 at a time on one needle. But I also learned that technique before Ravelry even existed so there's probably better ones out there now.

2 socks on one circular needle tutorial

That's a toe-up one, but the same techniques apply for casting on and knitting cuff down. Essentially, cast on half the stitches for one sock, cast on half for the next with your next ball of yarn, swap the needles, cast on the second half of the second sock, then finish the first.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
Stupid poo poo I have been putting up with and never even thought about fixing: Circulars with plastic cables can sometimes coil back on themselves and be a pain in the arse to work with.

I only have a 3mm circular in 60cm cable and I’m knitting 26 stitches on it. So I was sitting cross-legged on the couch with the middle of the cable held by my big toe to keep it out of the way and thought there must be a better way. Sure enough the first result:

You can stick them in a container or sink with some boiling water for like a minute and they will uncoil themselves, pull them out and quick dry and back to knitting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMb3FzqUjJI

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

DRINK ME posted:

You can stick them in a container or sink with some boiling water for like a minute and they will uncoil themselves, pull them out and quick dry and back to knitting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMb3FzqUjJI

holy poo poo

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

So because I'm a sucker for punishment I guess, and because I am currently between opportunities and don't want to be the sort of guy who spends his entire day watching TV instead of doing something useful, I have decided that this is the year I go through my yarn bin and use up a bunch of leftovers making a blanket. I got a book of 60 knitted blanket square patterns and am ignoring the suggested yarns because I like living dangerously. My plan is to make one square a month and then sew them all together at the end of the year to have a finished blanket. So far I've got poo poo taken care of until March, because I am a keener.

January:

February:

March:

The square for March only took me 3 days because it was done in the round, and was interesting because I've never done medallion knitting before. Best of all, I managed to use up almost an entire ball of yarn and got two squares out of it. The colour changes were great and this blanket is going to be absolutely ugly as poo poo whenever it gets finished, which delights me. The book I have doesn't say how to sew the squares together but I'm clever and will figure that out, I'm sure.

Somehow I seem to have got over my aversion to knitting lace, since I have now made four (4) lace things this year (dice bag for friend, headband for my lovely girlfriend out of her homespun, two blanket squares) so I think that's a definite positive.

Actually, here's the headband, when it was still on the needles:

A friend of mine is convinced that I will have finally tried to make a sweater before I find a new job and I'm starting to worry that he's right.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Mad Hamish posted:

So because I'm a sucker for punishment I guess, and because I am currently between opportunities and don't want to be the sort of guy who spends his entire day watching TV instead of doing something useful, I have decided that this is the year I go through my yarn bin and use up a bunch of leftovers making a blanket. I got a book of 60 knitted blanket square patterns and am ignoring the suggested yarns because I like living dangerously. My plan is to make one square a month and then sew them all together at the end of the year to have a finished blanket. So far I've got poo poo taken care of until March, because I am a keener.

January:

February:

March:

The square for March only took me 3 days because it was done in the round, and was interesting because I've never done medallion knitting before. Best of all, I managed to use up almost an entire ball of yarn and got two squares out of it. The colour changes were great and this blanket is going to be absolutely ugly as poo poo whenever it gets finished, which delights me. The book I have doesn't say how to sew the squares together but I'm clever and will figure that out, I'm sure.

Somehow I seem to have got over my aversion to knitting lace, since I have now made four (4) lace things this year (dice bag for friend, headband for my lovely girlfriend out of her homespun, two blanket squares) so I think that's a definite positive.

Actually, here's the headband, when it was still on the needles:

A friend of mine is convinced that I will have finally tried to make a sweater before I find a new job and I'm starting to worry that he's right.

I miss being able to knit for hours! Enjoy it.

To join the squares, you can mattress stitch, crochet them together (there's more yarn gone!), sew them together with a baseball kind of whip stitch, etc. I think crochet with a contrast yarn would fun for a blanket like this.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

February's socks are done! This is yarn from Stitch Noir, the colourway is Sea Witch. These are an incredibly soft and nice-feeling SW merino yarn and I am very excited to wear them tomorrow.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

Woo, defeated sock #1 :D

Sock #2 in progress, here's hoping I can defeat second sock syndrome too.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I spent the last few months of the year making a bunch of the TinCanKnits maize glove for Christmas presents.

(That's a men's size and adjusted from the base pattern because they requested a longer cuff and that it come up higher on the knuckles)

I also realize I have no pics of any of the pairs fully finished. I also never got around to making a pair for myself!

In actual knitting for me, just finished (tails and seaming aside) the inclinations cowl from DreaReneeKnits.

Jazzed about finishing it, was a little surprised by how some of the colors came together on account of the color changes/marling with the yarn, but not a bad surprise.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I am liking the pooling in that sock and in that cowl!

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Gods help me, I'm back on my bullshit.

March's socks, started today: Purple Haze from Fergus Fibre Company with toes / heels / cuffs to be in leftover neon yellow yarn from January's pair. The horrible thing about getting a mini for weird toes / heels / cuffs is that you basically get free leftovers to keep doing that for all your subsequent pairs.

There's a fibre festival here in Hamilton on the 12th and while I'm sure my girlfriend will get some very lovely roving I am going to find the absolutely ugliest sock yarn I can, aw yiss.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
I love these socks and the fingerless glove. Your work is awesome!

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

I finished the socks for March last night. I think I'll probably have enough time to get a blanket square done by the end of the month as well.

We went to a fiber market lat weekend and I managed to be fairly restrained and only got two hanks of sock yarn, but also a swatch ruler and sock ruler, both of which are things I've sort of wanted for a while.

The grey one is medium-sized striping with greens and mints and yellows, and a matching grey mini for heels and toes, very tasteful. I especially appreciated how the dyer had samples knitted up so you could see how it would look when done, and also had the yarn pre-split into two hanks to facilitate winding! The other one was the absolute loudest and ugliest yarn I could find and I think it'll be eye-searing once it's knit up, which is exactly what I wanted, clown barf in the worst kind of way.

I think I'm going to do the grey one first since most of the socks I've made recently have been pretty garish and also I want to do something with actual stripes for a change.

Mad Hamish fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 19, 2023

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Mad Hamish posted:

I finished the socks for March last night. I think I'll probably have enough time to get a blanket square done by the end of the month as well.

We went to a fiber market lat weekend and I managed to be fairly restrained and only got two hanks of sock yarn, but also a swatch ruler and sock ruler, both of which are things I've sort of wanted for a while.

The grey one is medium-sized striping with greens and mints and yellows, and a matching grey mini for heels and toes, very tasteful. I especially appreciated how the dyer had samples knitted up so you could see Joe it would look when done, and also had the yarn pre-split into two hanks to facilitate winding! The other one was the absolute loudest and ugliest yarn I could find and I think it'll be eye-searing once it's knit up, which is exactly what I wanted, clown barf in the worst kind of way.

I think I'm going to do the grey one first since most of the socks I've made recently have been pretty garish and also I want to do something with actual stripes for a change.

These are great socks and future sock choices!

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

A second sock! Now just need to weave in ends and block :)

Next up, a pair of TAAT.

E: Blocking superwash socks? Should I? Should I just wash them?

Nur_Neerg fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Mar 29, 2023

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
Can you freeze wool? I found a wool mitten that has obviously been eaten by some type of bug, maybe carpet beetles.

I am freaking out a little, I have so much wool yarn stashed in the apartment. Will it be damaged if I bag it all up and throw it in the freezer for a couple of days?

lady flash
Dec 26, 2007
keeper of the speed force
It'll be just fine, that's often what is recommended for potential bugs. You'll want to freeze it, let it come to room temp and do it again. I recently received wool of unknown origin and did that before adding it to my stash just to be safe.

PeterPanda
Jan 3, 2022
Another bulky shawl off the needles. The yarn is premier puzzle in Acrostic. Pattern is Lala’s simple shawl on ravelry.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Lovely shawl. All these socks are making me want to try some - I never have!

I went to a fiber fest this weekend and picked up some Blue Sky Woolstok worsted. As a yarn snob, this stuff is great for how inexpensive it is! Nice and soft and will make some kick rear end hats.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

MIDWIFE CRISIS posted:

Can you freeze wool? I found a wool mitten that has obviously been eaten by some type of bug, maybe carpet beetles.

I am freaking out a little, I have so much wool yarn stashed in the apartment. Will it be damaged if I bag it all up and throw it in the freezer for a couple of days?

Most of my socks and stuff live in the freezer through the summer and only come out in winter.

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

Weird question, but how are people sharing pictures on the forums these days…? Would love to jump in and share some knits, but I also don’t want to be that rear end in a top hat ruining the thread with pictures that are way too small or way too large

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
I’m old so I just use the awful iOS app, it handles the upload, link, and tags. The only thing I occasionally need to remember is to flatten live images before I try to share

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

Hey, in that case, I’ve got what I need to share pics already—thanks!

Just finished these socks this afternoon made with yarn I dyed :3: :

Here’s the pair I made before them:

Taking pictures of completed socks is weirdly difficult

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
They’re very nice socks and yarn. I like the second pair with the lace panel.

I keep wanting to try socks but there’s always something else I want to knit first - I tried to force myself to knit continental so I would be faster and complete more projects, but I just couldn’t stick with it.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Ohhhhh those socks look great!

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Love the color in the first pair especially :3:

How did you dye it? I've never tried dyeing.

DRINK ME posted:

I tried to force myself to knit continental so I would be faster and complete more projects, but I just couldn’t stick with it.

I can tell you that WIP hell is the same if you knit continental!

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

DRINK ME posted:

They’re very nice socks and yarn. I like the second pair with the lace panel.

I keep wanting to try socks but there’s always something else I want to knit first - I tried to force myself to knit continental so I would be faster and complete more projects, but I just couldn’t stick with it.

Mad Hamish posted:

Ohhhhh those socks look great!

Hey thanks!! :3:

...also, I knit continental, and, well... I've got bad news

MIDWIFE CRISIS posted:

Love the color in the first pair especially :3:

How did you dye it? I've never tried dyeing.

Thanks!! Just to clarify: are you wanting to know the technique I used to get that "pattern" of colors? The equipment? The dye? Happy to talk about any or all parts of the process, but I'm also wanting to make sure I'm answering in a way that's helpful! :)

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Niemat posted:

Thanks!! Just to clarify: are you wanting to know the technique I used to get that "pattern" of colors? The equipment? The dye? Happy to talk about any or all parts of the process, but I'm also wanting to make sure I'm answering in a way that's helpful! :)

Especially the pattern, how do you make different color stripes like that?

david duchovny
Dec 25, 2009
Hi I’ve just started to knit (went from crochet to Tunisian crochet and now I’m here)!

I’m sure it’s been brought up over the years but the last few pages there have been a bunch of posts about RSIs/pain etc; wondering if y’all had tried Portuguese knitting? I ended up teaching myself how to knit like this because it is lazy and doesn’t hurt my wimpy hands at all.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

This photo bothers me. It looks like the scarf was cast on from the long side based on how it is striped. But there isn't a cable/wire in the world long enough to cast on 17 FEET of stitches :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

How does one knit vertical stripes bc I'm so bad at intarsia that I end up with completely separate knit pieces just next to each other