Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

starshaped posted:

400ish yards of 100% superwash wool I gave to my mom for Christmas. A friend of mine dyed it.

Please tell me you (and your friend?) have an etsy shop, or are thinking about one soon. :) This is gorgeous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

starshaped posted:

Midnight Sun, that checkered felted bag kicks rear end! I love the colors you used.
Thanks! It was basically the first thing I knit when I started knitting and felting this fall, and it just proves how anyone can knit! When I can do it, everybody can. :D

I made up this bag as I went along, so it was really exciting to see how it came out when I felted it. I'm really satisfied with the result.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Antis0ciald0rk posted:

Another My so-called Scarf. This is in Arauciania Aysen (Wool/Alpaca/Silk) Color #805, I think this is one of the nicest yarns I've ever worked with. If your LYS carries it, check it out!
What kind of knitting technique is this? It looks really awesome! :aaa:

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Midnight Sun posted:

I'm curious about that too. I only recently started knitting and I'm pretty bad at it, so I'm doing simple projects, but I want to step it up a bit. I started knitting a tube scarf last night with circular needles, going well so far!

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001

Midnight Sun posted:

I forget what the stitch pattern is called, I think it's a herringbone of some sort, but the scarf pattern is here: http://www.sheepinthecity.prettyposies.com/archives/000079.html and a video explaining the stitch is here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qenzg_-uAl0 . I've made two scarves with the pattern and it is a really cool look. It ends up taking more yarn than a normal scarf would, and it's best to use larger needles (by two sizes or so) than the yarn calls for because it's a very dense stitch.

(Hope you don't mind me answering, Antis0ciald0rk. Your scarf is fantastic and you're I will definitely keep my eye out for that yarn, it's gorgeous!)

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Kalista posted:

I forget what the stitch pattern is called, I think it's a herringbone of some sort, but the scarf pattern is here: http://www.sheepinthecity.prettyposies.com/archives/000079.html and a video explaining the stitch is here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qenzg_-uAl0 . I've made two scarves with the pattern and it is a really cool look. It ends up taking more yarn than a normal scarf would, and it's best to use larger needles (by two sizes or so) than the yarn calls for because it's a very dense stitch.

(Hope you don't mind me answering, Antis0ciald0rk. Your scarf is fantastic and you're I will definitely keep my eye out for that yarn, it's gorgeous!)

Thanks so much! It doesn't look too difficult, it'll just be a little tricky to get used to.

I also found this video, which shows it more up close, so that could be useful too for anyone trying to learn this stitch.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I just picked it up in the last 15 minutes so this post is solely related on that experience, but my main problem has been remembering to do the extra knit/purl at the end of each stitch (probably due to being used to doing regular PSSOs/P2togs). That and I also somehow managed to get the yarn wrapped around the entire work and through the middle, which I think was just bad yarn management.

Aery
Nov 15, 2005

Where is my motherfucking HAT

Roflex posted:

I just picked it up in the last 15 minutes so this post is solely related on that experience, but my main problem has been remembering to do the extra knit/purl at the end of each stitch (probably due to being used to doing regular PSSOs/P2togs). That and I also somehow managed to get the yarn wrapped around the entire work and through the middle, which I think was just bad yarn management.

Once you get it down, it is crazy simple. I just finished one that ended up being 7.5 feet long (it was for a very tall guy). I used Malabrigo on it though which curled on the edges :( that was the first time I have had that scarf curl EVER, so I am guessing that a single ply yarn was the wrong choice. Luckily it steam blocked out beautifully.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Thanks, Kalista. I really want to try knitting a my so-called scarf, but I think I need to watch that youtube video a couple of times first. :)

ClearPopcornBags
May 23, 2006

...must...eat...brains...

deety posted:

Posting patterns for anything designed by others is a copyright violation (even if it's a free one), but I'd love to see any patterns people here have written. If you have questions about specific projects, I'm sure some of us could point out how you can find either those patterns or similar ones.

Hope that helps!

Thanks I'll give it a try, on my way to the store today!

paxjordana
Sep 17, 2006

Oh, this is the joy of the rose: that it blows, and goes.
Oh god, this thread is so exciting! I started knitting last fall, and started spinning last week, but I am a failure when it comes to crochet.

If I can get my hands on a camera sometime soon, I'll try to put up some pictures.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

effika posted:

Please tell me you (and your friend?) have an etsy shop, or are thinking about one soon. :) This is gorgeous.

Absolutely! The purple yarn is gorgeous! I'm looking for some unique yarn to crochet a lacy, formal-looking shawl (I'm a crocheter making GBS threads up the knitting thread!), but I haven't been able to find what I want yet. Esty is pretty amazing though, so if I don't find something locally, I'll be doing that for sure.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

starshaped posted:

Glad to see more spinners! I started off on a spindle back in 2004 but didn't really get the hang of it until sometime in 2006. I bought a wheel, an Ashford Traditional, in 2007 sometime and I've spun mainly fingering weight yarn with it.

My wheel. I bought it from a woman in town who restores wheels, so I got this one for a good price. I love this thing.

400ish yards of 100% superwash wool I gave to my mom for Christmas. A friend of mine dyed it.

Another 400ish yards of some unidentified roving I got from a friend after I bought my wheel. It's pretty scratchy but I love the colors.

Those are some of the most beautiful handspun I've seen in a long time. I'll take pictures in a couple days, I just had oral surgery earlier this morning and probably couldn't hold a camera. My handspun isn't so good, it's pretty thick and thin, and some parts of it didn't spin at all. I think I'm over spinning in some parts and underspinning in others. I'm determined to make a good batch though!

Kalista posted:

Whoo, more handspinners! The 2020 yards of lace shetland that I finally finished plying over the weekend is now drying. The whole thing was an experiment in taking raw fleece to the final product. I was swearing I would never ever ever do it again when I was covered in grease and sheep mud/poo poo up to my elbows and my apartment smelled like a barn, but watching the fleece turn into fluffy white balls of fiber and then eventually into beautiful creamy lace makes it almost a repeatable experience!

Are you a spindler, or have a wheel, or both? Personally, I couldn't get the hang of a spindle for the life of me, and went right to a Lendrum wheel.

I've used a good deal of stuff from Knitpicks, I love their metal Options set, and I'm considering buying another set of tips, since I always have too many things on the needles at once. Keep an eye on your order status though, since I read on Ravelry that the Harmonys have been on back-order and they don't always email you to let you know that.

I've got a bottom whorl drop spindle from Annie May. It's pretty well balanced and it came with some really nice batts to practice on. I've also got a rougher Corridale (?) wool and some Tussah Silk to spin up. I'd buy a wheel if I could afford it :( I'm thinking the results would be more consistent. I wanted to spin from wool thast I washed and picked, but my husband said he didn't want the mess and the smell in the house. I'd love to try carding though, it looks fun!

As far as knitpicks goes, I'm not too happy with the speed of my first order, but I understand that they're moving to a new warehouse. I was reading on ravelry today where some chick threw a hissy fit over it. Too much work, it'll all work out in the end. Plus they shipped my order on the 8th :dance: I also picked some noro up off ebay, now I just need the other color for the Noro Striped Scarf I want to selfishly make for myself :p
Another vote for Antis0ciald0rk. You make very cute stuff :)

starshaped
Oct 13, 2004
I actually don't have an etsy store mainly because I tend to be a little on the slow side when it comes to spinning. I haven't spun in a few months because of general holiday busy-ness, but I'm hoping to sit down again and spin some more stuff. Maybe I'll try selling stuff down the road. I'd love to get into dying my own roving and/or yarn, but time, yeah, I don't have a lot of it. Thanks for all the compliments! :D

My friend's etsy shop is here, though: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5023853 She's been spinning a ton longer than me and dyes her own stuff too, and she's pretty good. I tend to buy most of my roving from her.

My very first spindle was one I bought from Annie May as well; I had a difficult time spinning on a bottom whorl for some reason, maybe because I hadn't ever seen anyone spindle spin before and had no idea what I was doing. I bought a top whorl a year or so later and had much better results with it.

fap
Jul 1, 2003

roll you up into my life.
I just got my knitpicks options in today, and I love them! They're beautiful and smooth and pretty! I haven't tried them out yet, but I'm casting on a Raisin Beret to try them out. The only thing that bothers me about the Harmony set is there are no sizes printed on the needle. Oh well, I'll just have to get out my needle gauge.

starshaped, I love your friend's rovings and yarn, so I'll be buying some from her in the future.
I took some pictures of my rovings that I have now and the first handspun I did. ]
Here's the Corridale
And the Tussah Silk:

And my first handspun, which I don't really like too much, but hey it was my first time!

It's overspun in some places, and underspun in others. I'm still trying to get the hang of it.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

fap posted:

And my first handspun, which I don't really like too much, but hey it was my first time!

It's overspun in some places, and underspun in others. I'm still trying to get the hang of it.

But the colors are so pretty! I think pretty colors are one of the reasons I got into knitting. And you could always make scribble lace without having to change needle sizes. :)

Spinners with cats, what do you do? I can hardly knit without being "protected" from the yarn monster.

The Ginger Ninja
Apr 29, 2005

Better red than dead.

boobookitty posted:

I did scrounge up a few images that I suppose I should put on Ravelry, too.

This is a hedgehog made from the Huggable Hedgehogs pattern a couple of years ago for a friend's baby.

I made the pumpkin from Knitty, but I made a much better looking one afterwards.

This rabbit was inspired by the Patrica Waller crocheted art pieces, which are far larger than stuffed toy size. A friend of a friend really wanted one, and I whipped this up...

..which in turn inspired Deady Bear, which was exclusively made for Son of Stitch 'n Bitch. I couldn't use the bunny because that was already too close to a previous piece, so Deady Bear was created. This is my personal photo; the professional ones look much better, of course.

I do make other things than toys, honestly!

That hedgehog kills me. It is the cutest thing I have ever seen on these forums. Well done.

MallcoreMotion
Jul 30, 2006
I need help. I'm trying to make a scarf for a swap on craftster, and I've tried 3 patterns but none of them have looked okay. Now, the idea is to be able to add either pockets or a hood on it, maybe both. What I need is a pattern that is simple but still looks really nice. I checked out that my-so-called scarf pattern and it went totally over my head.

Anyway, I tried irish hiking scarf, a single cable scarf and striped garter. They've all come out weird looking and unappealing. I've never had the problem before, but I'm getting frustrated.

I'm considering an illusion scarf since I need to incorporate skulls somehow, but I'm not sure yet.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Ok, now I'm furious at whoever posted about Knitpicks, because they don't ship internationally, and i need one of these! Does anyone know where I can buy one of these and get it shipped to Norway? :(

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

I'm not really crazy about that style of counter. The wheels don't always stick on each number very well, if that makes any sense. When using counters like that, I keep bumping the wheel to a different number when I don't mean to or finding that I somehow left it between numbers. Maybe I'm just inept with them.

Do you specifically want one that you can hang on your needle? If not, I recommend the "Katcha" counters made by Clover. There's a big red one and a small green one, and (like all the Clover knitting accessories) they are really drat cute. You just click a button at the end of each row, and the counters can be locked so they won't add clicks while bumping around in your bag.

Sorry, it looks like that site won't do international shipping either. If you don't have any luck finding a site that will send you what you're looking for, PM me the exact style counter you want and your address and I'll send one along.

Black Huntress
Oct 8, 2001

MallcoreMotion posted:

I need help. I'm trying to make a scarf for a swap on craftster, and I've tried 3 patterns but none of them have looked okay. Now, the idea is to be able to add either pockets or a hood on it, maybe both. What I need is a pattern that is simple but still looks really nice. I checked out that my-so-called scarf pattern and it went totally over my head.

Anyway, I tried irish hiking scarf, a single cable scarf and striped garter. They've all come out weird looking and unappealing. I've never had the problem before, but I'm getting frustrated.

I'm considering an illusion scarf since I need to incorporate skulls somehow, but I'm not sure yet.

Hmm... this with this cable swapped in, perhaps, though you might not consider it simple. I just finished the harf with no mods, and while I like the finished object very much, actually knitting it was mind-numbing; a better cable would have been more interesting.

Pocketed scarves are pretty straightforward--knit it a bit longer than you normally would, fold up the ends, and kitchener stitch them together. If your pattern stitch doesn't have a lot of negative ease, you should finish with a couple of rows of ribbing to keep the pockets from pooching out.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

I have a pretty dumb question. I'm used to knitting from balls of yarn, but now I ordered my first really nice yarn, and it comes like this:

How do I knit from this? As in, how do I pull the yarn?

I'm ridiculously excited about knitting with this :D

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Deety: Thanks! At least I need a marker in combination with the counter for knitting in the round. The OP had a pic of some beautiful markers, did you make them yourself, or can they be bought somewhere?

elbow: Make someone hold it out for you and roll it into a ball before knitting, like this:

or use one of these:

Edit: Found the counter in a Norwegian webshop, but thanks again Deety. I'm still curious about the markers in the OP, though. :)

Midnight Sun fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jan 12, 2008

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

I made those markers, they're actually pretty easy if you want to try some.

Just find some split rings, head pins, and some beads you like. Arrange the beads on a head pin, you'll need at least one bead at the end that's really small. Then use a little pair of needle-nose pliers to bend the end of the head pin into a small loop. Clip off any extra wire, you can sort of tuck the wire's end down into the hole through the last bead if you like. Then slide the loop onto the split ring. It took me a few tries to figure out how to bend the wire to a good size that let the marker slide easily around the ring, but it wasn't too hard.

deety fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jan 12, 2008

effika
Jun 19, 2005

elbow posted:

How do I knit from this? As in, how do I pull the yarn?

If you do not have a yarn swift or a patient friend as Midnight Sun does, you can also use one of those spinny lampshades (sometimes you have to loosen the nut on the top).

If you want to wind a center pull skein, it's dead simple. It's best explained in pictures, so I'll point you here.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

deety posted:

I made those markers, they're actually pretty easy if you want to try some.

Just find some split rings, head pins, and some beads you like. Arrange the beads on a head pin, you'll need at least one bead at the end that's really small. Then use a little pair of needle-nose pliers to bend the end of the head pin into a small loop. Clip off any extra wire, you can sort of tuck the wire's end down into the hole through the last bead if you like. Then slide the loop onto the split ring. It took me a few tries to figure out how to bend the wire to a good size that let the marker slide easily around the ring, but it wasn't too hard.
Thanks. Found some similar markers in the Norwegian web shop, too. My credit card hurts. ;)

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Midnight Sun posted:

elbow: Make someone hold it out for you and roll it into a ball before knitting, like this:

or use one of these:

effika posted:

If you do not have a yarn swift or a patient friend as Midnight Sun does, you can also use one of those spinny lampshades (sometimes you have to loosen the nut on the top).

If you want to wind a center pull skein, it's dead simple. It's best explained in pictures, so I'll point you here.

Thanks to the both of you. Anyone have any advice on how to convince my boyfriend to sit still for such a long time? :D

root a toot
Aug 7, 2006

mondo burger was manufactured and distributed to intentionally destroy the black community

elbow posted:

Thanks to the both of you. Anyone have any advice on how to convince my boyfriend to sit still for such a long time? :D

You can also use your feet :)

boobookitty
Jul 25, 2004

The Ginger Ninja posted:

That hedgehog kills me. It is the cutest thing I have ever seen on these forums. Well done.

:3:

root a toot posted:

You can also use your feet :)

Or a kitchen chair. A good wooden (or in our case, metal) chair works pretty well for that. I wrap it around the back of the chair since it's got two posts on the top that work well, but I guess you could flip it over and use the legs, too. Or some people use two chairs, and yet others use part of the chair and one hand. Whatever works.

I got my daughter's lace dress done finally, save for the ribbon needed for the dress, booties, and bonnet. It's blocking on my bed right now. I'm so happy to get that done--I've been working on and off since March of last year. I'll be posting pictures when it's all complete, and probably after I get her 1-year photo shoot done with it on.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

elbow posted:

Promise to knit him something cool. :D

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Midnight Sun posted:

Promise to knit him something cool. :D

DON'T DO THIS O_O

No, really, I have the same curse as a lot of knitters. No matter how well things seem to be going, as soon as I try to knit a boyfriend something, it falls apart and we break up. So far sewing seems safe (I made the boy some curtains for Christmas), but I'm too scared to try crochet.

Maybe it's me :emo:

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

PoK, my bf is very happy with the scarf I knitted him, so I really hope it's just you.

Here's my latest finished project. A felted kitty bed. (The cat wants nothing to do with the abomination, of course.)

Midnight Sun fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jan 15, 2008

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math

Pile of Kittens posted:

No, really, I have the same curse as a lot of knitters. No matter how well things seem to be going, as soon as I try to knit a boyfriend something, it falls apart and we break up. So far sewing seems safe (I made the boy some curtains for Christmas), but I'm too scared to try crochet.

That's actually only supposed to hold true for sweaters...

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.
Wow, you guys, I've seen some really talented pieces in here. I hope you think about an etsy or eBay store, because I betcha there's people who would pay $200 for a mindlessly-knitted scarf in a purdy color. Not me, of course, but other people ;)

Sensibletron
Apr 10, 2005

Midnight Sun posted:

cat cave

I like it! If kitty's not so crazy about it, perhaps you could stitch in a fabric panel down below and put in something that makes a crinkly noise? I have known quite a few cats in my time who are sensationalized by a crinkle cave.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Sensibletron posted:

I like it! If kitty's not so crazy about it, perhaps you could stitch in a fabric panel down below and put in something that makes a crinkly noise? I have known quite a few cats in my time who are sensationalized by a crinkle cave.
That's a good tip. The biggest problem is that only half the cat fits inside of it, though. ;)

(I knitted it for a kitten we had, but unfortunately we had to give her away before I was finished knitting the bed.)

Sensibletron
Apr 10, 2005

Midnight Sun posted:

That's a good tip. The biggest problem is that only half the cat fits inside of it, though. ;)

(I knitted it for a kitten we had, but unfortunately we had to give her away before I was finished knitting the bed.)

Probably next time you should just knit something in the shape of a cardboard box. Maybe with one hole in the side for the cat to peek out of and swat at passers-by.

If you ever want to try again for your ungrateful feline, I recommend the Kitty Pi. It stretches to fit even the blobbiest of cats and is a good way to use up unwanted fun fur if you've got some of that lying around.

http://wendyknits.net/knit/kittybed.htm

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Thanks, Sensibletron! The Kitty Pi looks more like something Gizmo would like to curl up in. :)

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Sensibletron posted:

unwanted fun fur

WHAT!?!?! There's no such thing!!

Oh Fun Fur, how I love you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MallcoreMotion
Jul 30, 2006

Black Huntress posted:

Hmm... this with this cable swapped in, perhaps, though you might not consider it simple. I just finished the harf with no mods, and while I like the finished object very much, actually knitting it was mind-numbing; a better cable would have been more interesting.

Pocketed scarves are pretty straightforward--knit it a bit longer than you normally would, fold up the ends, and kitchener stitch them together. If your pattern stitch doesn't have a lot of negative ease, you should finish with a couple of rows of ribbing to keep the pockets from pooching out.

Thanks a lot for those. I lost the link to that first one. What I was going to do originally was just knit a normal scarf and then do two squares with a skull intarsia'd? in. But... I think I'll do your idea.