Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boobookitty
Jul 25, 2004

elbow posted:

Stitch 'n Bitch is quite clear, but when I started learning how to knit, I found it hard to learn from a book because I didn't 'get' the way the stitches work to form something. My mom showed me how to do a simple rib, but after that I learned almost everything from videos (knittinghelp.com and youtube).

I've heard some people have had problems understanding the way to do a yarnover from the way it's shown in Stitch 'n Bitch. I never had any problem with it, but apparently it's a well-known problem. I guess it can come across like you are supposed to knit that yarn over immediately after forming it? I'm not sure. I do know on the knitting LiveJournal group if someone is having a problem with a yarnover, they ask, "Were you learning from Stitch 'n Bitch?"

Anyway, I knit continentally, and Stitch 'n Bitch was the first resource that I found that really showed me how to do it right. I was actually knitting fine, but the purling I wasn't understanding up until then. This was before knittinghelp or YouTube were around, so there wasn't much for videos online at that point. And I really don't find TV shows like Knitty Gritty that useful, personally.

I was one of those knitters who started off using by using fun fur, too :blush:. Probably the absolute worst kind of yarn I can think of to begin knitting with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

root a toot
Aug 7, 2006

mondo burger was manufactured and distributed to intentionally destroy the black community

boobookitty posted:

I've heard some people have had problems understanding the way to do a yarnover from the way it's shown in Stitch 'n Bitch. I never had any problem with it, but apparently it's a well-known problem. I guess it can come across like you are supposed to knit that yarn over immediately after forming it? I'm not sure. I do know on the knitting LiveJournal group if someone is having a problem with a yarnover, they ask, "Were you learning from Stitch 'n Bitch?"

Ha! This was me, a week ago. I was kind of dumbfounded at the difference between the book and knittinghelp.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

boobookitty posted:

I was one of those knitters who started off using by using fun fur, too :blush:. Probably the absolute worst kind of yarn I can think of to begin knitting with.

It's a pain to knit with but when used sparingly or used for really specific projects I think it looks cute. :(

guaranteed
Nov 24, 2004

Do not take apart gun by yourself, it will cause the trouble and dangerous.
I think the difficulty was what she was referring to.

boobookitty
Jul 25, 2004

root a toot posted:

Ha! This was me, a week ago. I was kind of dumbfounded at the difference between the book and knittinghelp.

Oh, it's been way more than you :). It comes up a lot, actually. I've been on the knitting group since 2005, I think, and it's come up multiple times since I joined. I honestly haven't looked at the yarnover diagram in Stitch 'n Bitch in a long time, so I have no clue how poorly it comes across.

Ozma posted:

It's a pain to knit with but when used sparingly or used for really specific projects I think it looks cute. :(

I don't deny that it can be useful--I still will use it for toys like the hedgehog I showed in this thread, and I also made a squirrel with it, too. But fun fur is the type of stuff that can drive new knitters away with how difficult it is to see what you are doing. I made a sweater for my toddler out of the stuff a few years ago, and I had no clue where I dropped stitches at all with it. And if you try to frog any rows, you're likely to make a knotted mess. I also twisted my stitches when purling at first, and you can't really see that well with fun fur, either. I still have my first fun fur knitted...thing...around the house, because my babies seem to love the texture.

guaranteed posted:

I think the difficulty was what she was referring to.

Yup :). If I taught a knitting class, I would not teach with that stuff.

Hobo Camp
Aug 8, 2006

No problo, Rob Lowe.

boobookitty posted:

It all depends on what you think works best for you.

I think I'd prefer to learn from someone, but only because I'm so anal and I need to make sure I'm doing everything 100% right and I can't really ask a book how I'm doing. But I'll pick that one up, just in case!

Thanks! I guess I'll look around for a school or class. There has to be a bunch of them in LA.

Viewers Like Me
Nov 4, 2004

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
drat. I didn't know there's knitting circle here in Goondom! This is great. I'll have to post one of the scarfs I've made. I'm not really that good but I try. I have a few books including Stich'n Bitch, but youtube is a bit more helpful. I've always learned better from watching then reading, that's why I have a bit of trouble with patterns.
I don't know if this site was posted or not but it's pretty helpful.
http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory.php

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007

Leon Belmont posted:

I don't know if this site was posted or not but it's pretty helpful.
http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory.php

My God, I love that site. An excellent (the best?) online resource for free patterns. The site is a compilation of just about every site, and so has a very diverse pattern selection--everything from little funfur nordic barbie sweaters to a knitted companion cube.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
This may be a long shot but I'm working on Knitty's Unbiased and it looks like there's not going to be enough yarn to make the fourth triangle. Does anyone have any leftover sari silk yarn, maybe 50 grams or so lying around? I'd be happy to do a trade. Mine is mostly a dark red but any color is fine, I just don't want to shell out another $20 and not use much of it.

Also I think I want to line the bag, but the last time I tried lining a bag with fabric it was a disaster. I had the idea of knitting the same pieces with a smoother yarn at a tighter gauge and sewing it to the sari silk before assembly, would this work or should I just try the fabric out again and hope I don't ruin the whole thing?

machinegirl
Apr 16, 2002

*sigh*

Drei posted:

This may be a long shot but I'm working on Knitty's Unbiased and it looks like there's not going to be enough yarn to make the fourth triangle. Does anyone have any leftover sari silk yarn, maybe 50 grams or so lying around? I'd be happy to do a trade. Mine is mostly a dark red but any color is fine, I just don't want to shell out another $20 and not use much of it.

Also I think I want to line the bag, but the last time I tried lining a bag with fabric it was a disaster. I had the idea of knitting the same pieces with a smoother yarn at a tighter gauge and sewing it to the sari silk before assembly, would this work or should I just try the fabric out again and hope I don't ruin the whole thing?

I lined mine with some quilter's batik. You can see my crappy pictures here. It took a while with a sewing machine, and it's not the most perfect of jobs, but it works fine, and keeps the bag from getting stretched out. The handle? Not so much.

I believe eBay has sari silk yarn for pretty cheap. I may have some laying around, but I don't have time to check out my stash right now.

MallcoreMotion
Jul 30, 2006
What do you guys think would be the best way to knit a medium-ish baby blanket with the letter A in the middle? I know it'd be iintarsia, I'm just wondering if there's any way to make it so you don't get those goofy lines on the back when you add a color.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

MallcoreMotion posted:

What do you guys think would be the best way to knit a medium-ish baby blanket with the letter A in the middle? I know it'd be iintarsia, I'm just wondering if there's any way to make it so you don't get those goofy lines on the back when you add a color.
What about Double Knitting (you can find the video if you scroll down a bit).

MallcoreMotion
Jul 30, 2006
Would it be easy to do on circulars?

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.
These aren't mine but they are a friends gf made it for him and I always get a kick out of them. He also has a yeti. The helm I'm wearing and the minion on top are supposed to be like those in overlord.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

MallcoreMotion posted:

I have no idea, I've never tried this technique. Maybe someone who has can tell you?

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

MallcoreMotion posted:

If you're talking about the double knitting technique from the video: absolutely. If you look at her needles, she's actually using circulars.
I recently bought a bunch of bamboo circulars for dirt cheap, and I'm using those as regular needles. All you do is turn the work as you would with regular needles, you don't use the cable for anything, just pretend that the needles aren't connected.

edit: If you mean knitting in the round and then sewing the top and bottom to make it flat, I'm sure that's not too hard either, just follow the pattern and when you've reached the end of a row in that pattern, continue in the circle and do the same row but in opposite colors.

elbow fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Feb 18, 2008

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
I've successfully completed my first scarf! (pictures to follow later)

Now that I'm interested in other projects, I have lots of trouble estimating how much yarn I'll need to buy if I'm not following instructions from a pattern. An example: I came across a great sale online for Blue Sky Alpaca yarn that's 2 stitches to the inch and 45 yards per skein. For my previous scarf, I used 2 balls of Patons wool 223 yards at a gauge about 4" to 20 stitches on size 10.5 needles (I didn't really measure it yet :( ). Then, how would I approximate this new change in using chunky yarn, and possible new needles?

I know I should always buy some extra yarn in case, gauge differs by people, and stitch types would affect the amount of yarn used, but are there some general rules for yarn's stitch to inch plus needle gauge to approximate the square area I'll be able to get out of a skein? (like: a ball of worsted-weight 223 yards at 4" to 20 stitches on 7 needles would get me about a 12" x 36" rectangle swatch, etc.)

Or is there really no good rule of thumb to follow, and I should just knit more and look at more patterns to figure out how to eyeball the number of skeins I'll need for a project?

jomiel fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 19, 2008

MallcoreMotion
Jul 30, 2006

elbow posted:

If you're talking about the double knitting technique from the video: absolutely. If you look at her needles, she's actually using circulars.
I recently bought a bunch of bamboo circulars for dirt cheap, and I'm using those as regular needles. All you do is turn the work as you would with regular needles, you don't use the cable for anything, just pretend that the needles aren't connected.

edit: If you mean knitting in the round and then sewing the top and bottom to make it flat, I'm sure that's not too hard either, just follow the pattern and when you've reached the end of a row in that pattern, continue in the circle and do the same row but in opposite colors.

Thanks a bunch. I've watched that video like a million times and I can't believe I didn't notice the circulars. Anyway, I'm using circulars for a baby blanket because my stitches don't quite fit on my straight needles.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

A big benefit of using circulars for something wide is that your project ends up mostly resting in your lap, so your wrists and forearms aren't supporting the whole weight of it.

I really love circular needles.

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007

deety posted:

A big benefit of using circulars for something wide is that your project ends up mostly resting in your lap, so your wrists and forearms aren't supporting the whole weight of it.

I really love circular needles.

Yeah--I'm knitting a shawl on a pair of circulars, and man alive--as it gets bigger I get more thankful that I am using circulars.

Asstro Van
Apr 15, 2007

Always check your blind spots before backing that thang up.
Another circular needle fan here! I love being able to space out and just knit around on my newest scarf, without alternating rows knit/purl. So far it's going pretty well, it's my first time changing colors so the stripes are just random whenever I feel like switching. Here's what I've done so far.

I feel a bit guilty though since I'm supposed to be working on one for a friend. I agreed to knit for her if she got the yarn, so she gave me over 700yards of rough bargain yarn. It's so much more fun to play with soft pretty stuff. :(

Strelnikov
Jul 25, 2004
I want to compose and decompose.

MallcoreMotion posted:

Intarsia cannot be done in the round, because when you finish one row the working end of your contrast color yarn is on the opposite side you started on. You'd need to either cut the yarn and weave in a billion ends afterward, or switch colors in the middle of the row with a Russian Join.

If you're talking about knitting in the flat and turning after every row, though, you can do that on a circular needle the same way you do it on regular ones. I'd definitely use a circular for a blanket knit in the flat, because having all that weight hanging to one side off of regular needles = instant back, shoulder, neck, and arm pain. On a circ, everything just sits nicely in your lap, and you don't have to worry about it falling off the needles.

boobookitty
Jul 25, 2004
Actually, regarding intarsia in the round, this is the resource I've been using to learn how to do it: http://explaiknit.typepad.com/let_me_explaiknit/2006/08/rock_around_the.html.

I'm using the method where you close the gap in short rows. It's very time consuming to knit backwards, though, and I in fact got a bit frustrated with it, so the hat I was working on has been put off to the side.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

I don't know if many of you get the KnitPicks catalog but I just HAD to bitch:

Is it physically impossible for them to put more than one or two appealing sweater/jacket designs in one catalog? I think almost every single one in this one was unflattering. Open it up to the first page and you've got a sweater that looks good on top and completely befuddling on the bottom. I think it mentioned something about "shape flattering knit patterns" but the one they demonstrated made it look like the woman had two saddlebags in front. WTF?

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

My modified Harry Potter scarf is finally finished. Didn't turn out too bad. :)

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
^^ that looks great!

I'm looking at these bamboo needles on Amazon: circular & DP. These seem like a good deal--and I wouldn't need to buy a straight needle set because I can just flip my work on the circulars around, right? Is there ever an instance when I'd want to use single point needles?

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

jomiel posted:

^^ that looks great!

I'm looking at these bamboo needles on Amazon: circular & DP. These seem like a good deal--and I wouldn't need to buy a straight needle set because I can just flip my work on the circulars around, right? Is there ever an instance when I'd want to use single point needles?

That is a good deal, but you might be able to find them even cheaper on eBay. It's worth having a look.

I can't tell you whether you'd need to use single point needles ever, but I haven't had to. I guess it would keep your work neater since the needles are the same size all over, whereas the tube on circular needles is often smaller than the bamboo.

Midnight Sun, I really like that scarf! Usually not a big fan of pink, but I like the combination :)

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

jomiel & elbow: Thanks! :)

Stijl Council
Jun 16, 2003

Hip to be Squares

Ozma posted:

I don't know if many of you get the KnitPicks catalog but I just HAD to bitch:

Is it physically impossible for them to put more than one or two appealing sweater/jacket designs in one catalog? I think almost every single one in this one was unflattering. Open it up to the first page and you've got a sweater that looks good on top and completely befuddling on the bottom. I think it mentioned something about "shape flattering knit patterns" but the one they demonstrated made it look like the woman had two saddlebags in front. WTF?

I think a lot of it is their yarn substitutions, or maybe their models. Off the top of my head, they've recently had their version of sweaters from Stefanie Japel's book (Fitted Knits) and Veronik Avery's book (Knitting Classic Style) that look horrendous in the catalog. But in both books, they look like terrific designs --- I desperately covet both of the ones they've featured --- and it's not like the models in the books are emaciated or seem oddly proportioned.

I do like KnitPicks' needles, though. They're one of the few places you can get metal DPNs in sets of five that don't cost an arm and a leg.

Bad Mitten
Aug 26, 2004
Intuition as guided by experience

jomiel posted:

^^ that looks great!

I'm looking at these bamboo needles on Amazon: circular & DP. These seem like a good deal--

I have the set of 7" DPNs. So far, they have been working great. The smaller ones are a little too bendy for my taste, though I generally prefer aluminum needles. I have also found the points to be just a touch rough in places. Can't beat the price though.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Stijl Council posted:

I do like KnitPicks' needles, though. They're one of the few places you can get metal DPNs in sets of five that don't cost an arm and a leg.

Yeah, I buy from them but if that's the stuff they pimp from books... yipes! I had WANTED that lingerie knits book before I saw sample patterns in the catalog. :(

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
2nd scarf:

Beginning of my first sock:

It's going to be thick though, at about 5 stitches to the inch :(

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007

jomiel posted:

Beginning of my first sock:

It's going to be thick though, at about 5 stitches to the inch :(

No shame in thickly-gauged socks! they make your feet exceptionally warm :3:

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

jomiel: Cute scarf! And I love the colors on the sock yarn, what kind of yarn is it and where can I get it?

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Stijl Council posted:

I think a lot of it is their yarn substitutions, or maybe their models.
I agree with this. Picking a yarn that's too different from the designer's choice can really ugly up a project. I think that Knitpicks tries too hard to make it look as if you can use something they make for nearly any pattern. It sometimes seems like the models are wearing a style or color that's not flattering, or even the wrong size. But they also pick some sweaters that are just unfortunate to start with.

Sure everyone's got different taste, but the winter catalog has this diagonal-ribbed green thing that I can't imagine wanting to wear. The center sections look almost like they'd belong to a cute little tank top, but then there are vertical-rib panels on each side that make the model look wider than she is. Her hair is covering both sides of the neckline, which makes me wonder if they're stupid looking. And I guess they thought it was cute to have the bottom mirror the v-shape of the neck, but I will never wear a sweater that looks like one big arrow pointing to my crotch.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

jomiel posted:

^^ that looks great!

My mom has the DP set. She really enjoys them, although every now and then has to take a nail file/buffer block to the tips.

Circular needles are all I buy anymore. I have a lot of random straights from when I was starting out, but when I need an extra set of needles I just pick up circulars instead.

Stijl Council
Jun 16, 2003

Hip to be Squares

jomiel posted:

^^ that looks great!

17" is kinda short for circulars IMO. But the price is really good. Just be aware that if you want to knit a sweater in the round, or work back and forth on a blanket or something similarly gigantic, you'll probably need to get some with larger cables.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya

Midnight Sun posted:

jomiel: Cute scarf! And I love the colors on the sock yarn, what kind of yarn is it and where can I get it?

I bought the yarn at my LYS, and the yarn is Crystal Palace Yarns Fjord in rose petal. The yarn thickness is very slightly irregular, and there's not much twisting into plys compared to my previous balls of Patons so sometimes I end up spearing the strand, but working with the yarn is pretty awesome because somehow the feeling of wool is really strong. I was surprised to find a deadknot in the middle of the ball--but I got to practice wet-splicing and that was cool.

Thanks, everyone! :D I am working on the heel turn right now and I love socks so far. I learned so much already from this sock and it's not even half done. I definitely learned a lot of techniques of frogging and how switches relate to one another, haha.

edit: oh my god picking up stitches for the gusset sucks.

jomiel fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Mar 2, 2008

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

jomiel posted:

...the feeling of wool is really strong.

This is why I love Malabrigo. I could be knitting a giant stockinette square and not care because I love the wool-feel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

The messenger bag is finished. Any tips about cleaning up the black fuzz on the white parts?