Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya

Midnight Sun posted:

The messenger bag is finished. Any tips about cleaning up the black fuzz on the white parts?

Would a cat hair roller work?

That looks awesome. How did you make the black borders?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

jomiel posted:

Would a cat hair roller work?

That looks awesome. How did you make the black borders?
I'll try a cat hair roller when it's dry. :)
I've knitted the mushroom in intarsia, and the 1up-text in stranding method (got extremely fed up with the intarsia, so I just thought gently caress it.)

machinegirl
Apr 16, 2002

*sigh*
My socks are a thing a beauty and wonder. Finished them Sunday. Why did I not start knitting sock earlier?? I want to wear handknit socks 24/7!

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Cool socks!

I wanted to knit socks, but figured out that DPNs are my nemesis(...es?). drat you, DPNs! :mad:

Strelnikov
Jul 25, 2004
I want to compose and decompose.

Midnight Sun posted:

The messenger bag is finished. Any tips about cleaning up the black fuzz on the white parts?

Niiifty. :D If a lint roller doesn't work, try shaving it with a razor.

Machinegirl -- awesome socks!

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

machinegirl posted:

My socks are a thing a beauty and wonder. Finished them Sunday. Why did I not start knitting sock earlier?? I want to wear handknit socks 24/7!

Oooh, pretty. Sweet clear shoes, too. (I looked on Ravelry for other pictures too!)

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
DPNs have been okay but I'm stuck on the Kitchener stitch and I just messed my toes up :(

^^^ Those socks look great! What yarn and pattern was it?

jomiel fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 5, 2008

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Strelnikov posted:

Niiifty. :D If a lint roller doesn't work, try shaving it with a razor.
Lint roller did nothing, I'm shaving it later. :)

machinegirl
Apr 16, 2002

*sigh*
Thanks everyone! :D

jomiel posted:

^^^ Those socks look great! What yarn and pattern was it?

The yarn is Cascade Fixation. Yay for cotton. I don't really need wool socks in Phoenix, AZ. :( The pattern is Broadripple from knitty. Pretty easy for my first sock that's not Fuzzy Feet sock!

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Knitted and felted a bag for a colleague. I embroidered the flowers on after felting. I think it looks really cute! :D

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
They don't quite match and I totally messed the toes up, but still, first pair of socks and they feel wonderful! :3:

Now I just have to step carefully to avoid slipping all the time...and of course, a second pair.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Super cute socks, jomiel! I'm impressed! :D

Nrapture
Feb 8, 2007
I love that handbag, Midnight Sun! Did you put in a zipper, flap or leave the top open?

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Nrapture posted:

I love that handbag, Midnight Sun! Did you put in a zipper, flap or leave the top open?
Thanks!

The bag is open, but of course you could modify it just as you like. The pattern is here: http://hurpeknagg.blogspot.com/2008/03/no-seam-bag.html

(I made it, raaar!)

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
I have a few more pictures I'll need to edit this with, but here are some pictures of the hat I made for my friend Aaron.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pvtsprout/2189552585/sizes/o/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pvtsprout/2190340538/sizes/o/

fap
Jul 1, 2003

roll you up into my life.
I finished my Noro Striped Scarf finally! There's some pictures on my Ravelry page here.
Which leads me to ask - is it possible to knit stripes in something cabled? I want to make a pair of fingerless mitts to match.

I just bought some Lorna's Laces on sale. I need to go on a yarn diet. We won't even talk about the Cascade I bought the other day :(

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya

fap posted:

I finished my Noro Striped Scarf finally! There's some pictures on my Ravelry page here.
Which leads me to ask - is it possible to knit stripes in something cabled? I want to make a pair of fingerless mitts to match.

I just bought some Lorna's Laces on sale. I need to go on a yarn diet. We won't even talk about the Cascade I bought the other day :(

I think cabled gloves should work because noro yarn changes colors so gradually. Plus if it's small cables it'd look really cute.

I just bought some Lorna's Laces sock yarn on sale too! I'm with you on the yarn diet :(

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

fap posted:

That looks fantastic! I'm working on the exact same type of scarf right now (except that I'm doing 2x2 rib) and I hope it turns out to look that nice. I'm using more boring color options though, since it's supposed to be for my husband.

cnmns
Mar 29, 2007
With my pair of headphones and some music, I can ignore the whole world.
Does anyone have any good recommendations for a knitting book? I want to learn how to do more because at the only moment I can do anything that is a scarf and they get a little boring after a while.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

cnmns posted:

Does anyone have any good recommendations for a knitting book? I want to learn how to do more because at the only moment I can do anything that is a scarf and they get a little boring after a while.
I haven't learned from a book, so I really can't recommend you anything, but I've really learned a lot from looking at the videos at Knitting Help and trying different patterns at Ravelry.

I think the Stitch 'n' Bitch books are good, though.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

The first Stitch 'n Bitch book is good, you can check out pictures of the patterns online. I'm not too crazy about the later books. There are still some nice designs in them, but too many are over-the-top, too young-looking for me, or just kind of weird.

If you want to stick with basic stuff, I like the Yarn Girls' books. If you'd have use for baby items, I love Knitting for Baby, by Melanie Falick and Kristin Nicholas. It's got technique info as well as cute projects organized by skill level, and making a baby-sized hat or sweater is satisfyingly fast. You could also just get a really good technique book and find some free patterns online to try. The Knitter's Book of Finishing Techniques by Nancie Wiseman is my favorite of those portable knitting references, if you get really into knitting as a hobby you'll probably want that big, beautiful Vogue Knitting book eventually.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
I have the Vogue Knitting book, and it is useful for its expanded info--more type of how to knit, including left handers; several types of casting on, joining seams; pages of stitches. I also have the Stitch and Bitch book and I find its mnemonics easy to understand and use, like purl stitches look like nooses while knit stitches look like scarves. I haven't made anything from its projects and actually found them a bit daunting. Instead, I picked up Ann Budd's Getting Started Knitting Socks, and did a pair of sock as my first project after 2 scarfs--and now I'm on my second pair of socks!

cnmns
Mar 29, 2007
With my pair of headphones and some music, I can ignore the whole world.
Thanks guys! Jomiel I do have one question though, which Vogue Knitting book did you get?

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
The Vogue Knitting: The Ultimate Knitting Book, though I think I've read a review somewhere that you can buy the Vogue Knitting Quick Reference guide instead for a smaller version of much of the most important stuff.

Knitter's Review gives some recommendations for books, as well. (The author of knittersreview.com also does yarn, and though I've found it helpful, I like ravelry's handy wiki-system references between yarns and people's projects a lot.

Edit: I have a sock question:

In Ann Budd's Getting Started Knitting Socks book, in the heel portion of each stitch directions, there is a line like "k10(11,12,12,14) then turn around and p20(22, 24, 26,28)" and then supposed to use these stitches to do the heel flap. But the expanded explanations with diagrams in the front section of the book doesn't have this. Is this additional half-row on the left supposed to compensation or the additional half-row that comes in the short rows for the heel? If I do this, would my heel look a bit lopsided? And does it matter if I do this additional row or not?

jomiel fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Mar 14, 2008

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

jomiel posted:

Edit: I have a sock question:

In Ann Budd's Getting Started Knitting Socks book, in the heel portion of each stitch directions, there is a line like "k10(11,12,12,14) then turn around and p20(22, 24, 26,28)" and then supposed to use these stitches to do the heel flap. But the expanded explanations with diagrams in the front section of the book doesn't have this. Is this additional half-row on the left supposed to compensation or the additional half-row that comes in the short rows for the heel? If I do this, would my heel look a bit lopsided? And does it matter if I do this additional row or not?

I've never seen that in sock instructions before. Weird.

I've also neve noticed a lopsidedness in my socks, so you're probably safe leaving it out.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Yay dishcloth!

Made from this pattern.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Cool, what yarn is that? I love making dishcloths because they're fast and you can always use a new one.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

deety posted:

Cool, what yarn is that? I love making dishcloths because they're fast and you can always use a new one.
It's called Helårsgarn, it's a cotton and acrylic mix.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Does anyone here have experience with felting in front-loading washing machines?
I'm supposed to check on the felting every 5 minutes, but I can't open the door before the water has drained, and every felting guide I've read so far says that you shouldn't keep the project in the machine while it's draining.

Can I leave the project in while it drains anyway, or will that really damage it? I don't see how it would, to be honest, since draining doesn't involve any spinning.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.
For a front-loader, I'd say knit a swatch (swatch!) and measure before and after. I didn't see any harm (using Rowan Big Wool) but it was a purse and not anything I needed a specific 'fit' on. Just put it in for the shortest possible cycle.

Conversely you could always try it in a tub / sink.

edited to add- nope, since the draining didn't involve any further agitation it didn't seem to do anything else. But I also didn't need to add a pair of jeans in to give my purse anything to agitate with because of the longer cycle, I found.

Molly Bloom fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Mar 17, 2008

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

I do all my felting in a front loading washer. I put a pair of jeans and some organic soap in with the object I'm going to felt, and run a cycle on 90 C. It always turns out very good.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Thanks guys, that's very helpful. I just knit a swatch and will be felting that tomorrow. It's fairly thick and rough wool, so I'm sure it'll be fine.

I'm making a handbag, so the fit isn't too important at all. Unfortunately it's a bit too big for me to felt it by hand :(

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
The idea is that you don't leave it in too long and over-felt it. Like you said, not so important with a purse.

For what it's worth, my front-loading washer can be stopped in the middle of the cycle by turning the dial to "stop". It doesn't drain that way, so you have to be careful reaching into the hot water and so on, but it's helpful in a felting emergency.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Remember, boys and girls: Always label your left over yarn! Or else, you'll encounter felting disasters like this:

Superwash + felting = DO NOT WANT!

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007

Midnight Sun posted:

Remember, boys and girls: Always label your left over yarn! Or else, you'll encounter felting disasters like this:

Well, I guess on the plus side you've got a cool little elf-boot foldover effect going on there...

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Midnight Sun posted:

I guess I have my work cut out for me tomorrow...

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya

Micomicona posted:

Well, I guess on the plus side you've got a cool little elf-boot foldover effect going on there...

Yeah I thought that fold was pretty cute :3:

I finished my second pair of socks this weekend (Manos del Uruguay wool+silk blend). Going to give it to my mom.

And now to make a pair for my brother. Going to make it out of this Jitterbug yarn:

The yarn is 4 ply and my previous two socks have been made out of 1 ply yarn, so I'm adjusting to its different stretchiness. After I bought it in my LYS, I read some reviews on ravelry and wish I had bought Smooshy sock yarn instead :(

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Micomicona posted:

Yeah, it's not completely screwed up. Other than the small area on the front of the left slipper, they are at least symmetrical. I can always try to look smug and say "I meant to do that... ;)

Edit: Jomiel, cool socks! And the blue yarn looks gorgeous!

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Felted wine box bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Oh wow, that's awesome. I love the handles and the flap!
Do you have a pattern for this?

I felted a swatch yesterday and it turned out fine. I'm about 75% done knitting the bag, so hopefully I can felt it this weekend :)