Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
Yeah like maybe it's just a skill issue but I wouldn't be able to knit 17 feet of intarsia stripes while high on pain meds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

You knit vertical stripes by knitting the piece side-to-side. Or you do that double sided knitting thing but it's a bit strenuous.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
The mystery is how they cast on 17 feet horizontally

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

very carefully

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

You know how cable needle sets often have connectors to make your cables longer, it was just every cable in the pack daisy chained.

lady flash
Dec 26, 2007
keeper of the speed force
I have a 50" interchangeable cable, 2 if those would probably be enough, but can you imagine casting on enough stitches for 17 feet :eyepop:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
It's hard to tell from that picture but it looks more like crochet to me. I could easily see someone being high as balls making a chain that long and not even realizing it. The edge of the big pink stripe looks tighter than the rest, which is a thing that tends to happen when working into a chain.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
Cast on a multiple of 10 stitches with a single colour, *knit 5 pink, knit 5 purple* to end of row. Flip and same again.

I don’t think it’s double knit because the twists seem to leave the colours in the same position - I mean you can do that but it kind of takes the fun out of double knitting where you can reverse he pattern colour or do a different pattern on the other side. I would have to be some kind of stoned to get to 17 feet of that though, like morphine drip stoned.

And an excuse to repost the One Ring scarf which is just over 6 foot of non-mirrored double-knit (text legible from both sides instead of being reversed on one side). I’ve been thinking about doing another one but with better colours, maybe a fancy border.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Oh hey everyone, it's been a minute since I've caught up on this thread because I've been distracted with, well... *gestures at the madness of the world over the last several years*

So anyway I work at a LYS that has an in-house dye studio, and primarily take point on dye studio operations

DRINK ME posted:

Stupid poo poo I have been putting up with and never even thought about fixing: Circulars with plastic cables can sometimes coil back on themselves and be a pain in the arse to work with.

I only have a 3mm circular in 60cm cable and I’m knitting 26 stitches on it. So I was sitting cross-legged on the couch with the middle of the cable held by my big toe to keep it out of the way and thought there must be a better way. Sure enough the first result:

You can stick them in a container or sink with some boiling water for like a minute and they will uncoil themselves, pull them out and quick dry and back to knitting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMb3FzqUjJI

This is great advise, though I caution not to get the needles themselves wet if possible (usually I'm talking about wood needles though) and just running the cable under a hot faucet. Alternatively Chaiogoo lace circular needles are fantastic, they drop to neutral out of the package bc the cable is a coated metal cable

lady flash posted:

It'll be just fine, that's often what is recommended for potential bugs. You'll want to freeze it, let it come to room temp and do it again. I recently received wool of unknown origin and did that before adding it to my stash just to be safe.

Also great advise! The reason you want to freeze it twice is bc this is typically the approach if you're concerned about moths eating your wool yarn. The adult moths don't eat the yarn (typically they don't have mouths). They lay eggs in it and then their larvae eat it once they hatch. You need to freeze it twice bc when you freeze the first time they will hibernate so you need to trick them into beginning the hatching process and then do it again. Keeping things in a cedar chest or with cedar blocks is also a good idea bc that's also a deterrant

MIDWIFE CRISIS posted:

Love the color in the first pair especially :3:

How did you dye it? I've never tried dyeing.

Dyeing is some science but imo mostly an artistic endeavor. It can at times be challenging bc there are only so many different ways to apply color to a thing and you want to be innovative. I hate sitting on new colors to unleash at a future date bc invariably someone will post something very similar on social media

Anyway get undyed yarn, presoak in water, place it in a pan/pot with water. You will apply an acid at some point (citric acid/vinegar) and use acid dyes for wool, and then you "paint" the yarn. Tonals/solids you can dump and cook or stick in a warming cabinet, however variegated and/or speckled will typically be hand painted over cooktop. If you want the yarn to be more tonal/solid then add the acid later so the dye has more time to saturate and evenly bind, however if you want the dye to strike faster for a variegated then add the acid first before the yarn and dye. For fast strike you want both heat (180-190F) and acid

If you want some interesting tutorials on dyeing then look up Nicole Frost on youtube. Also ALWAYS wear a respirator when mixing acid dyes

Anyway yeah lmk if you want to see any examples of things that I've been working on or if you want more specifics about how to paint and/or speckle yarn

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Oh, good timing... I have some white cotton yarn and a shitload of henna. Can one be applied to the other and made color-fast?

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Oh, good timing... I have some white cotton yarn and a shitload of henna. Can one be applied to the other and made color-fast?

I primarily have experience with acid dyes on animal fiber (sw and nsw wool, mohair, alpaca), acid dyes don't adhere well to plant-based yarn such as cotton and linen and so you need to go a different direction with that.

Here's some tips for dyeing with henna. It looks like it will work on cotton but won't be quite as vibrant as it would be when used on an animal based protein. One thing that might also help is pre-soaking the cotton for 30 min to 1 hour in a bucket of water with 1 tsp of synthrapol added to it.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

It's September, so friends: what are we knitting for people for Christmas this year

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I'm far too feeble a knitter to post my own work, but I can please post the loveliness that is super simple Norwegian felted slippers.
You need feltable wool, and the basic ability to to plain knit
It's just that simple. You knit a series of colored squares, knit a small set of attached squares, sew them all together, using feltable wool, and felt them into slippers.

It's bloody magic is what it is, and it only needs you to be able to do the most basic plain stitch.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Testing out photo thing - I had legit stopped even trying as I couldn't get imgur to work for me at all for more than a year.

Not been doing much knitting this year as I've been trying to spin down my fiber stash - this will of course lead to a similar issue with yarn stash next year but that's a problem for future me.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

Testing out photo thing - I had legit stopped even trying as I couldn't get imgur to work for me at all for more than a year.

Not been doing much knitting this year as I've been trying to spin down my fiber stash - this will of course lead to a similar issue with yarn stash next year but that's a problem for future me.

Did you spin that? The colors are great

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Yes! Thank you. :) it's a custom dye job I had someone make up specifically for this shawl - I think I started spinning it in 2017 lol.

PeterPanda
Jan 3, 2022

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

Yes! Thank you. :) it's a custom dye job I had someone make up specifically for this shawl - I think I started spinning it in 2017 lol.

OMG IS THAT LACE WEIGHT? You're so brave!!!

Meningism
Dec 31, 2008
Hi knitgoons, apologies if this isn't the place to make this request - I see the thread started as one thing but now seems to be the only Knitting thread on these forums. I can delete if there's a better place for it.

I’m looking for some help with finding a/some patterns, as I know nothing about the craft.

My partner is the knitter, and learned some of her skills, when she was very young, from her grandma – who selected, spun and knit all natural wool, and won a huge amount of prizes and recognition for her knits. I want something I can give my partner as a gift so she can try her hand at something her grandmother made, especially since she doesn’t have much else to remember her by. I've managed to track down pictures a few pieces in The Australian National Wool Museum:

https://victoriancollections.net.au/items/540660779821f50e3cca00e2

I was hoping to get some links to some patterns that could best represent the pieces in that link – jumper, skirt, scarf, hat, pocket (?), etc Maybe even some links to yarn you think might best match what was used? Was planning to print the patterns out nicely and present it that way.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Meningism posted:

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Beyond browsing ravelry, i wouldn't even know where to begin finding those. Sorry.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Have you tried asking the museum?

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
Thought I’d search to see if she ever published anything but all I found was your posts chasing this outfit - I even had a look at Trove and just got the same outfit. If she didn’t write down patterns then you’re probably stuck with trying to find similar.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Legit though if you ask the museum you can probably find one person who's job it is to look after that outfit, and they might have a lot of other stuff in storage. My mum asked one museum about a some pictures they had of her ancestors and they were like. "Yeah we buy every single thing we find about them online and can afford, we have a private collection we can show you around if you come up some time! We just don't have enough room to publicly display it all!"

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

it seems like if you want to knit summer clothing you have to do it in cotton, but all the cotton yarn i've ever used feels like dishcloth.
is there a different cotton yarn? or do i need to treat it somehow?
or is everyone just knitting dishcloth tshirts??

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

I've not managed to make summer clothing yet, so I am also interested in this!

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
Seems to depend on how it's been treated. I think what you're looking for is mercerised cotton, it's usually shinier and less rough. I wouldn't call it soft exactly, but it's much nicer against the skin.

Edit: or look for bamboo, linen, rayon etc. And blends of them.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

left_unattended posted:

Seems to depend on how it's been treated. I think what you're looking for is mercerised cotton, it's usually shinier and less rough. I wouldn't call it soft exactly, but it's much nicer against the skin.

Edit: or look for bamboo, linen, rayon etc. And blends of them.

Seconding all this.

There's also weaving thread, which tends to be very light lace weight to fingering weight. I hate cotton and other plant fibers for knitting bc they have no elasticity while I'm working it, and no memory in the garment, but IDK if any of the blends solve some of those problems.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
I’ve only ever used cotton yarn to make dishcloths and washcloths so it’s kind of fitting.

This years summer knitting project (Australia so we’ve just entered summer) is using a huge amount of bulky yarn I picked up cheap to make a big warm poncho/blanket type thing for when I’m camping.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

I knit a summer jumper in Wool and the Gang's cotton yarn and it's very soft and comfortable to wear.

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

Radiant Cotton is a nice one. Lots of color choices, usually. I like to get it at my LYS because they will cake it free, and I like supporting local businesses--but it's cheaper online.

I have also used Dishie, Coastal Cotton, and Lily Sugar & Cream. All worsted weight. Dishie and Coastal are pretty similar and while they are dishcloth-friendly (Dishie? yeah) the things I have made (not clothes, except for a hat) have not particularly felt like dishcloths. Lily Sugar & Cream is fatter, I found it harder to work with, and definitely puts me in mind of those grade-school woven potholder things. Compared to these, Radiant Cotton is lighter (it's DK or light worsted) and has a bit of sheen to it.

The online places that have it also have other cotton choices but I've not used them so can't compare.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

My goal last year was to make one blanket square a month and have it all sewn together by the end of the year. I didn't quite make it to that, as I finished the last square last night. It turns out that when you kind of hate one pattern that's halfway done you can find a lot of things to do instead, and September's square got out off till December. Life also happened (surprisingly, being one of the organizers for the province's largest one-day pagan festival is a LOT of work), but whatever, it's fine. I'm going to try and sew it together tonight and then figure out how to upload pictures now that they've hosed with how that works. It's going to be so ugly, I can't wait.

THAT SAID. I know last year I was thinking of knitting a sweater. It sounds like an awful lot of work but having just finished the last of 12 largish blanket squares, I think I can manage it. I've been thinking of trying some kind of top-down raglan pattern, because that would minimize weaving-in and allow me to try it on while it's in progress. Does anyone have a good free pattern for this kind of thing that will be intelligible to someone who can manage lace and cables and socks? I've looked around online but a major problem is that I'm having trouble finding patterns in men's style/sizing that aren't from 1962. I did find a website where you can plug in measurements and it spits out a pattern but I don't know how to tell if it's decent or not.

Part of me really wants to do something with cables but after the last year of working various weird stitch patterns I think maybe something in mindless stockingette that isn't a sock (I made five pairs last year, holy poo poo) would be a welcome change of pace.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Tin can knits "flax" is my goto Raglan pattern, and it's designed to be easy for a beginner, but you'll need to look at their measurements and compare to your own

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Seconding tin can knits. obviously the worsted-weight one will be quicker than the lighter fingering-weight pattern.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Hmmmmm I really dislike that garter stitch panel along the sleeves but I expect that could be omitted entirely.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Mad Hamish posted:

Hmmmmm I really dislike that garter stitch panel along the sleeves but I expect that could be omitted entirely.

Yeah, just keep doing stockinette there. The gauge probably won't be too different, but if you find it is, just adjust on the fly.

Ern Malley
Nov 11, 2005

:d: :d: :d:
If you don't mind knitting a test swatch and doing some basic math calculations based on the stitch and row gauge measurements, I strongly recommend the Improv tutorial series. https://ktslowcloset.com/2016/08/14/improv-basic-pattern-for-a-top-down-seamless-sweater/

It's Karen Templer's method for a top-down seamless sweater that you can completely customize however you want. Things like the neck style, torso length, sleeve width - whatever you want, her guides show you exactly how to make that happen, and all you need is an accurate swatch so you know your gauge.

I used this guide to knit my first sweater after I had six months of knitting experience, and it was a great time.

The only caveat is that this method is done entirely in stockinette, not cables like you want. But you could probably work a cable in there, like maybe a little cabling down the side of each sleeve. Or just do a first sweater in all stockinette (maybe jazz it up with something like stripes so it's not mega boring to you), and then, with that experience under your belt, do a second sweater that you've figured out how to make with lots of cables. Also check the blog comments on each of the tutorial sections, there might be some people who asked how to insert cables and got good advice from the author/other knitters.

Edit!
Aha, I knew I was forgetting something - yes, there's an additional blog post on how to do the sweater in a stitch pattern of your choice (like cables!): https://ktslowcloset.com/2016/08/17/how-to-incorporate-a-stitch-pattern-in-a-top-down-sweater/

Ern Malley fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 1, 2024

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Oh, yeah, I'm thinking of a first attempt just plain stockingette, to see if I can handle it and not gently caress it up, and then go nuts with cables or something. After the last year I want a project I can just zip through quickly, so stockingette knit in the round is a very appealing prospect! Like making a sock, but on needles that aren't toothpick-sized.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Mad Hamish posted:

Oh, yeah, I'm thinking of a first attempt just plain stockingette, to see if I can handle it and not gently caress it up, and then go nuts with cables or something. After the last year I want a project I can just zip through quickly, so stockingette knit in the round is a very appealing prospect! Like making a sock, but on needles that aren't toothpick-sized.

This was the first sweater I ever did. https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/brick-2

It's raglan and extremely basic with sizes up to 3X and without any explicit shaping for any particular figure. And the projects have several examples that were made for men. Because it's so basic, it's absolutely customizable if you want to take the same pattern and add colorwork or cables later on. Just as an option.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

GF helped me do some measurements and now I'm figuring out yarns. I like the colours of this Lion Brand Fisherman's Wool and it's kind of cool that it isn't dyed, but I feel like it's only partially scoured and reviews seem very 50/50 on whether or not it's actually soft. Anyone here tried it?

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I have a ball of dark brown Fishermans Wool I have not used - in my opinion it is extremely rough and I couldn't use it against my skin

I made some hats from Blue Sky Woolstok and that seems like it has OK softness bang for the buck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I've done crochet with it, not knitting, but it works up softer than it feels in a skein, imo, especially after I wash it. I don't think I'd wear it against my bare skin as a hat or something, but in a sweater over a long sleeve shirt layer, I wouldn't think it matters as much.