Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
You could do a lace scarf. My Mom's birthday is in March too so I've made her a few of those over the years.

Then I found out she hates scarves. :smith:

e: My Mom (and many other Moms) do love cute things, though. So every year I have my Mom pick out a pattern and the yarn and I make it for her.

This year it's this: http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=40230204

I personally find this worrying.

Wandering Knitter fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 8, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fionnoulla
Jan 30, 2006

Drop the chalupa!

Shnooks posted:

Suggestions for a knitting or crochet gift for a March birthday?

My mom's birthday is March 26 and I decided I'll knit her something this year. It's just getting warm so scarves and hats are out of the question. My mom is turning 56 or 57 so I don't think a beret is her style anymore...

I was down to socks or shawls because it gets chilly in her office at work, but I'm afraid the shawl might make her feel too old :pwn:
You could do a shawlette that she can wear in the front, like a neckerchief. I finished a Traveling Woman a couple weeks ago and it's really too small for me to wear as a shawl, but MAN I love wearing it in front. I increased the stockinette section a bit (enough for 15 repeats of lace instead of 13) and it's still the perfect size for me. I wear it wrapped around my neck and then I don't need a jacket.

Or try a rectangular wrap-like shawl, like a clapotis or something similar. They seem younger to me.

Jeez, a couple of months ago I made myself a pair of Norwegian house slippers because my old sheepskin slippers were falling apart and the pattern for the slippers was the easiest thing I could find. My mom loved them, so I had to make her a pair. Then last week my husband started whining that I apparently don't love him enough because he doesn't have a pair. So I made him some. His friend was over when I took them out of the washer from felting and he was fascinated by them and tried them on, soaking wet. Then he asked me how much I wanted to make him a pair. I randomly said 20 bucks and he handed me the money. Then yesterday another of my husband's friends came over and handed me a twenty and asked for some too. I'm going to spend the rest of my life making garter stitch slippers for people. San Diego will be filled with people running around in felted elf shoes. I am halfway through an enlarged Booga bag and I was going to start on a bottom-up Birch shawl for myself, but I guess that's on hold for a week or two.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Shnooks posted:

Suggestions for a knitting or crochet gift for a March birthday?

My mom's birthday is March 26 and I decided I'll knit her something this year. It's just getting warm so scarves and hats are out of the question. My mom is turning 56 or 57 so I don't think a beret is her style anymore...

My mom's birthday is at the beginning of March and she'll be turning the :airquote:same age:airquote:. But, since I'm a beginning knitter and winter is basically over where I live, I decided to make something useful. I'm trying to finish a set of 10 simple washcloths from five tiny skeins of cotton yarn. 1.5 done so far! They knit up super fast :)

Pattern: http://knitwithkt.blogspot.com/2007/12/waffle-stitch-washcloth.html

WiP:
The blue one is showing the front; the green one shows the backside.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Fionnoulla posted:

You could do a shawlette that she can wear in the front, like a neckerchief. I finished a Traveling Woman a couple weeks ago and it's really too small for me to wear as a shawl, but MAN I love wearing it in front. I increased the stockinette section a bit (enough for 15 repeats of lace instead of 13) and it's still the perfect size for me. I wear it wrapped around my neck and then I don't need a jacket.

Or try a rectangular wrap-like shawl, like a clapotis or something similar. They seem younger to me.

Jeez, a couple of months ago I made myself a pair of Norwegian house slippers because my old sheepskin slippers were falling apart and the pattern for the slippers was the easiest thing I could find. My mom loved them, so I had to make her a pair. Then last week my husband started whining that I apparently don't love him enough because he doesn't have a pair. So I made him some. His friend was over when I took them out of the washer from felting and he was fascinated by them and tried them on, soaking wet. Then he asked me how much I wanted to make him a pair. I randomly said 20 bucks and he handed me the money. Then yesterday another of my husband's friends came over and handed me a twenty and asked for some too. I'm going to spend the rest of my life making garter stitch slippers for people. San Diego will be filled with people running around in felted elf shoes. I am halfway through an enlarged Booga bag and I was going to start on a bottom-up Birch shawl for myself, but I guess that's on hold for a week or two.

I was thinking that, but I'm not sure if I've ever seen my mom wear scarves? She always gives me her scarves after a few months of not wearing them. I guess if everything fails though a lace scarf it is.

I definitely thought about slippers though. My mom would wear them, but I wasn't sure if she'd want something to show off to everyone, haha :)

Pembroke Fuse posted:

My mom's birthday is at the beginning of March and she'll be turning the :airquote:same age:airquote:. But, since I'm a beginning knitter and winter is basically over where I live, I decided to make something useful. I'm trying to finish a set of 10 simple washcloths from five tiny skeins of cotton yarn. 1.5 done so far! They knit up super fast :)

Pattern: http://knitwithkt.blogspot.com/2007/12/waffle-stitch-washcloth.html

WiP:
The blue one is showing the front; the green one shows the backside.

This is a good idea, too! I didn't even think of this. My mom is a neat freak and if anything she'll use them for cleaning the dog's face :pwn: She loves our dog and only uses the softest towels...

Maybe I'll stick with slippers and wash cloths. Thanks everyone :)

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Shnooks posted:

I was thinking that, but I'm not sure if I've ever seen my mom wear scarves? She always gives me her scarves after a few months of not wearing them. I guess if everything fails though a lace scarf it is.

I definitely thought about slippers though. My mom would wear them, but I wasn't sure if she'd want something to show off to everyone, haha :)

This is a good idea, too! I didn't even think of this. My mom is a neat freak and if anything she'll use them for cleaning the dog's face :pwn: She loves our dog and only uses the softest towels...

Maybe I'll stick with slippers and wash cloths. Thanks everyone :)

French Press slippers. I made some for someone for Christmas and they were a massive hit. She was shocked - shocked! - that they were handmade.

hollaback grandma
Feb 25, 2007

You never call.

Blackish Sheep posted:

I didn't know whether I ought to make a separate thread for this or just post it here so I'm doing both.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Here be my mate Salty Pete. He lost his eye to a whale (actually I could only find one button that size)

And because I love you all, here's how you can make your very own cephalopod friend.

Very Big Squid pattern

At over 3 feet, this is the largest free pattern for a knitted squid on the internet today!
Be sure to tell me if there's any problems with it, and do post finished squids. Pete wants some friends!

E: I'm teaching myself to knit (started a couple months ago) so criticism is extremely helpful!

**updated for metric needle sizes**

Count me in as another goon who's gonna knit this! My boyfriend saw it and gave me bambi eyes.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

French Press slippers. I made some for someone for Christmas and they were a massive hit. She was shocked - shocked! - that they were handmade.
Agh, beaten! But here is the pattern! http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=36456663

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Spiteful posted:

Morris and Sons is on Collins St and has a really nice range of classes and products.

Wondoflex is in Malvern and has a really cool clearance center which is open on Fri/Sat with some horribly cheap yarns.

It's great to know someone else is local :)

Thanks! :) I thought the only yarn to be found was cheap acrylic at Lincraft, so it's good to know about Morris and Sons :)
I'm not anywhere near Malvern but my boyfriend and I have been planning a trip out there to shop at a Dutch shop, so I'll swing by there as well!

Klams Jam
Sep 8, 2007

Fionnoulla posted:

I really want to make my self a pair of these! And my mum... and my flatmate...

What brands are good for felting the the UK? Preferably something not too expensive! It shall be my first felting experience - is it really as simple as 'chuck 'em in the machine'?

Fionnoulla
Jan 30, 2006

Drop the chalupa!

Klams Jam posted:

I really want to make my self a pair of these! And my mum... and my flatmate...

What brands are good for felting the the UK? Preferably something not too expensive! It shall be my first felting experience - is it really as simple as 'chuck 'em in the machine'?

Yes, it totally is that easy - providing you have a top-loading washer, everyone I know that tries to felt in a front loader ends up with a sopping wet mess and no felt. I used Patons Classic Wool for my slippers because it's cheap and readily available in a large variety of colors. Not sure what else is available in the UK, but I know you have Patons. I throw everything into a zippered pillowcase to prevent it from picking up preexisting washer lint, then throw it in on a hot wash and check it fairly often. Different yarns will felt at different rates, so don't get complacent or you'll end up making slippers for a toddler instead of yourself.

Protip: When choosing a zippered pillowcase to use, check to make sure it isn't one that's already housed a feather pillow. OOPS! I spent an hour teasing feathers out of felt on my first pair of slippers. Then I went out an bought a brand new zippered pillowcase for felting purposes.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

I have only used front loading machines and have always had good results. I usually throw in a pair of old jeans with the stuff I'm going to felt, and about 10 ml of Pine-Sol (yes, actually).

If it's not felted enough the first time, just run it through another cycle, and up the temperature if possible.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Fionnoulla posted:

Yes, it totally is that easy - providing you have a top-loading washer, everyone I know that tries to felt in a front loader ends up with a sopping wet mess and no felt.

Very few people in the UK have top loaders :(

I was super excited the first time I did my washing in America and could open the lid and see it going round and round.

Oh and here's that hat I knit last week... or the week before. Whenever. The one I used to conquer my fear of DPNs and to make use of Stitch N Bitch nation and the yarn I got in the yarn trade.

The next project I think is going to be a dying project. You see, I bought this jumper from a charity shop for £1.79:

It's 80% Lambswool and 20% acrylic, and was a size 14 with a huge ribbed collar on it, so there's more than enough yarn there to reknit as a nicer jumper. So far I've unravelled it all and I think the plan is to have some fun dying it. This could be a complete disaster, as the last time I went near any dye I was 8 and making a tie-dye pillowcase.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

God I hate top loaders for my laundry, haven't tried felting with them but I can imagine that the process itself would be more convenient than with a front loader. That said, I've had excellent results felting with my front loader, so don't worry about that.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Midnight Sun posted:

Agh, beaten! But here is the pattern! http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=36456663

Aaaa, someone came into work looking for buttons for a couple of pairs of these! They were so cute!

Except it says its sold out on etsy :(?

Edit: Nevermind Ravelry saves the day!

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs
Anyone from the Pittsburgh area going to the Knit and Crochet Festival this weekend? As long as I feel up to it and the weather cooperates, I'm thinking about heading down Saturday just to browse around.

Since this is my first foray into buying yarn w/o a project in mind, does anyone have advice? I have a bad feeling I'd be oh so in love with something and then later think "What can I even DO with this?" or "Dear God, this is knitting up nothing like I expected from those colors!" I've never done anything too big, so I figured that and only taking cash were good starting points. That and I might take my new camera so I can taunt you all with pictures of yarn I saw :D

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

zamiel posted:

Anyone from the Pittsburgh area going to the Knit and Crochet Festival this weekend? As long as I feel up to it and the weather cooperates, I'm thinking about heading down Saturday just to browse around.

There's a Pittsburgh Festival? :aaaaa:

Oh God I don't know if I can go or even how to get there :smith:

Wait, the Pittsburgh Festival is in Mars, PA? :psyduck:

Wandering Knitter fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Feb 9, 2010

Firequirks
Apr 15, 2007

Scooty Puff Jr. posted:

Aw, sweet, another Vancouverite!

I guess that makes three of us. :) So far I've been making a serious effort to not buy yarn without a project in mind. And if it's a big project, I'm trying to buy cheap internet yarn. But for a pair of socks I'm making, I purchased Koigu from Black Sheep Yarns in Port Moody and I like it there. \/:)\/

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs

Wandering Knitter posted:

There's a Pittsburgh Festival? :aaaaa:

Oh God I don't know if I can go or even how to get there :smith:

Wait, the Pittsburgh Festival is in Mars, PA? :psyduck:

Yeah I know, that's kind of funny. I only found out about it last month and wasn't sure if I'd have a car by now or be able to get my hands on one for the day. It's a good haul from around Hermitage but I really need to get out for a day.

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Who's ready for safe fun?

Firequirks posted:

I guess that makes three of us. :) So far I've been making a serious effort to not buy yarn without a project in mind. And if it's a big project, I'm trying to buy cheap internet yarn. But for a pair of socks I'm making, I purchased Koigu from Black Sheep Yarns in Port Moody and I like it there. \/:)\/

Ooh, I've been thinking about taking the train out there sometime to check it out!

CureMinorWounds
Apr 29, 2007
Faster Casting Time!
I am having a major problem with my knitting. I'm trying to make a baby sock, cause I can't seem to manage making adult socks, I figured starting smaller would be better.

Anyways, in my pattern it says:
After dividing heel stitches, Slip 1, Purl 9, wrap next stitch and turn.
(wrap next stitch by slipping next st from left needle onto right, take yarn to opposite side of work between needles and then slipping same st back onto left needle. When working back across, work stitch with any wrapped loops and turn.)

I cannot seem to get this, I started working on my heel and my needles were in the wrong hands, so I turned it inside out and started working that way. Am I supposed to leave them going the wrong way? If so I can't knit like that. And what does it mean take yarn from opposite side? What I ended up with was a decent looking heel on one side and the other side completely unattached and a hole large enough that I can fit my finger through it, and its supposed to be baby sized! Help?

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

CureMinorWounds posted:

I am having a major problem with my knitting. I'm trying to make a baby sock, cause I can't seem to manage making adult socks, I figured starting smaller would be better.

(wrap next stitch by slipping next st from left needle onto right, take yarn to opposite side of work between needles and then slipping same st back onto left needle. When working back across, work stitch with any wrapped loops and turn.)

I cannot seem to get this, I started working on my heel and my needles were in the wrong hands, so I turned it inside out and started working that way. Am I supposed to leave them going the wrong way? If so I can't knit like that. And what does it mean take yarn from opposite side? What I ended up with was a decent looking heel on one side and the other side completely unattached and a hole large enough that I can fit my finger through it, and its supposed to be baby sized! Help?

The heel is knit flat, back and forth, unlike the rest of the sock which was in the round. So when you start the heel, you turn the work as if you were knitting flat - you'll be looking at and working on the inside. Then you slip one, purl 9, and then to "wrap" the next stitch you're going to bring the yarn to the back as if you were going to knit the next stitch, but instead of knitting it you slip it. Then bring the yarn forward again, like you were going to purl, and slip the stitch back to the right hand needle. What you've done is wrapped the working yarn around the stitch like it's wearing a little scarf. This helps prevent a hole.

THEN, you're going to turn your work, so you're on the outside again, and the needles should be in the right hands to go back the other way (knitting this time, since you're on the right side again).

What you're doing is called "short rows" because you're not knitting ALL the stitches before turning the work. So the rows are short, get it?

CureMinorWounds
Apr 29, 2007
Faster Casting Time!

The heel is knit flat, back and forth, unlike the rest of the sock which was in the round. So when you start the heel, you turn the work as if you were knitting flat - you'll be looking at and working on the inside. Then you slip one, purl 9, and then to "wrap" the next stitch you're going to bring the yarn to the back as if you were going to knit the next stitch, but instead of knitting it you slip it. Then bring the yarn forward again, like you were going to purl, and slip the stitch back to the right hand needle. What you've done is wrapped the working yarn around the stitch like it's wearing a little scarf. This helps prevent a hole.

THEN, you're going to turn your work, so you're on the outside again, and the needles should be in the right hands to go back the other way (knitting this time, since you're on the right side again).

What you're doing is called "short rows" because you're not knitting ALL the stitches before turning the work. So the rows are short, get it?

Yes? What a pain! I'm starting another one, I pulled the previous one off and its sitting there, staring at me sadly. I can't figure out how I managed to get one side perfect and one side all kinds of messed up though. Maybe I'll understand when I'm older.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

CureMinorWounds posted:

Yes? What a pain! I'm starting another one, I pulled the previous one off and its sitting there, staring at me sadly. I can't figure out how I managed to get one side perfect and one side all kinds of messed up though. Maybe I'll understand when I'm older.

Knitting is a mystery sometimes!

Hell, the pair of socks I'm working on somehow moved the end of round to the middle of the round. I don't even loving know. There has to be an extra half round somewhere in there, but I could not find it. I figure it happened when I put them down to play MarioKart for a few minutes but I pulled out more than that much and still couldn't get things to line up. So I just went with it.

CureMinorWounds
Apr 29, 2007
Faster Casting Time!
Ok, so I got it this time, but I've managed to knit it the wrong side out! The purls are on the outside instead of the inside! Its butt ugly too. I'm gonna finish it off and see if I can figure it out again. At least they are baby socks and take up a tiny amount of yarn and time!

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

CureMinorWounds posted:

Ok, so I got it this time, but I've managed to knit it the wrong side out! The purls are on the outside instead of the inside! Its butt ugly too. I'm gonna finish it off and see if I can figure it out again. At least they are baby socks and take up a tiny amount of yarn and time!

Ha! Yeah, baby socks are a good idea.

You should have seen me turning my first heel. I was in public, wrestling with an ugly rear end sock, and yelling "What the poo poo is this!?!?"

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007

Ha! Yeah, baby socks are a good idea.

You should have seen me turning my first heel. I was in public, wrestling with an ugly rear end sock, and yelling "What the poo poo is this!?!?"

ha ha! Turning your first heel in public is never a good idea--I did mine while watching a movie with a friend, he turned to me to say something and I just snapped "WOULD YOU JUST STOP loving TALKING TO ME RIGHT NOW"

heels = zero to crazy bitch in like two rows

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Quick! I feel retarded! Someone help!

I'm making the French Press Slippers for my mom I decided, but it says to use 3 strands of yarn for the shoe. I have two skeins of yarn already rolled into cakes...

What's the easiest way to make it into 3 strands without unraveling everything...

Gently Used Coat
Jul 4, 2005

Shnooks posted:

What's the easiest way to make it into 3 strands without unraveling everything...

Use both ends of one of the cakes?

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
That's what I did! It didn't even get tangled.

Is anyone thinking about doing the Knitting Olympics? I decided to do it at the last minute and I'm making these: http://www.garnstudio.com/lang/en/visoppskrift.php?d_nr=110&d_id=42&lang=us

But of course just doing that wouldn't stress me out enough so I'm converting them to toe up.

Serenity Dove
Jan 29, 2008

If I had a Pikachu, it'd probably eat my stuff.

CureMinorWounds posted:

Argh wrap and turns seem to be the bane of my life at the moment. I've managed to work out how to do a wrap and turn but when it comes to picking up the wrap I'm clueless. I can never recognise what is a wrap stitch and what isn't. I usually end up increasing by mistake because I'm picking up the wrong thing. I've tried using thin bobby pins as stitch markers which worked really well, they were thin enough not to stretch my stiches but were florescent so there was no mistaking or missing a wrap stitch. However despite the relative success of my first slipper the heel where I've picked up the wraps looks pretty loose and holey. Does anyone have any tips for perfecting picking up or recognising wraps? I've tried looking online at some tutorials but I think I'm just being stupid or something. Then again if it is a case of suck it up and keep practicing I'm willing to do that to. ;)

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Z Is Overrated posted:

Use both ends of one of the cakes?

Didn't think of that :downs:

Thanks

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
I FINALLY finished my sister's scarf!

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Sex Hobbit posted:

I FINALLY finished my sister's scarf!

What stitch is that?

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Looks kind of like a seed stitch but it's hard to tell in that photo.

Fionnoulla
Jan 30, 2006

Drop the chalupa!
Sooo.. I've broken the middle finger on my right hand and now have my middle and ring fingers taped together. Guess this means my new project for watching the Olympics will be teaching myself Continental style. I keep saying I'm going to get around to it but then I have excuse after excuse. Now I can't get lazy and decide it's too awkward and switch to English just to finish ("I'll learn Continental NEXT time, I just want to finish this NOW" is my most favorite excuse).

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Fionnoulla posted:

Sooo.. I've broken the middle finger on my right hand and now have my middle and ring fingers taped together. Guess this means my new project for watching the Olympics will be teaching myself Continental style. I keep saying I'm going to get around to it but then I have excuse after excuse. Now I can't get lazy and decide it's too awkward and switch to English just to finish ("I'll learn Continental NEXT time, I just want to finish this NOW" is my most favorite excuse).

Ouch! Sorry to hear that. :(

I've always wanted to learn Continental and I use the same excuse. That, or 'it'll look funny if I change in the middle of a project soooo..."

I can't get the darn yarn to stay on my finger.

Fionnoulla
Jan 30, 2006

Drop the chalupa!

Ouch! Sorry to hear that. :(

I've always wanted to learn Continental and I use the same excuse. That, or 'it'll look funny if I change in the middle of a project soooo..."

I can't get the darn yarn to stay on my finger.

Yeah, me too. It makes me extra angry because everyone I know who knits Continental tells me it'll be SOOOO much easier for me because I'm lefthanded and have all that extra dexterity with my left, and yet I can't get the yarn to stay on my finger or I have to reposition all the yarn in my left hand every stitch because it just won't slide through my hand for any kind of tension at all. I need to just stick with it. I think I'll do dishcloths for my grandmother - I won't be in a huge rush to finish something that takes all of 3 hours to complete regularly anyway...I mean, the end is already in sight by the time you cast on, right?

This is all because I'm so goddamned clumsy I managed to break my finger picking up my toddler's toys from the living room floor - who DOES that? Oh wait, we're talking about me, the woman who broke her foot falling off a three inch curb while trying to take out the garbage. Seriously, I don't have brittle bone disease or anything, I'm just THAT clumsy.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Fionnoulla posted:

Yeah, me too. It makes me extra angry because everyone I know who knits Continental tells me it'll be SOOOO much easier for me because I'm lefthanded and have all that extra dexterity with my left, and yet I can't get the yarn to stay on my finger or I have to reposition all the yarn in my left hand every stitch because it just won't slide through my hand for any kind of tension at all. I need to just stick with it. I think I'll do dishcloths for my grandmother - I won't be in a huge rush to finish something that takes all of 3 hours to complete regularly anyway...I mean, the end is already in sight by the time you cast on, right?

This is all because I'm so goddamned clumsy I managed to break my finger picking up my toddler's toys from the living room floor - who DOES that? Oh wait, we're talking about me, the woman who broke her foot falling off a three inch curb while trying to take out the garbage. Seriously, I don't have brittle bone disease or anything, I'm just THAT clumsy.

I'm amazingly clumsy but oddly, have never broken a bone. I just walk directly into walls and counters all the time, hit myself in the head with the car door while trying to close it, fall down the stairs...

If I wasn't a fatty I'd probably have broken half the bones in my body.

In retrospect it was probably a bad idea to attempt learning continental with size zero needles and sock yarn.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

madlilnerd posted:

What stitch is that?

Cast on an even number of stitches
Rows 1-3: k2 *p1 k1*
Rows 4-6: k1 *p1 k1*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/cross-stitch-scarf-2

I'm making this scarf from 101 Designer One Skein patterns.

I cannot, for the life of me, figure out what I'm doing WRONG.

Slide needle between 1st and 2nd stitch. Go down through 2nd stitch. Wrap yarn around. Pull through loop but do not slide off. Go up through 1st stitch. Wrap yarn around. Pull out and remove both stitches. I had another friend who knits try it and she got the same kind of result.

The purl rows are the ones that look right.

Anyone made this or have thoughts? Blah.

Only registered members can see post attachments!