Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

elbow posted:

Oh wow, that's awesome. I love the handles and the flap!
Do you have a pattern for this?
Yeah, but it's not my pattern, so you have to contact the designer to buy it. It's 35 NOK (about 7 USD). If you're interested in buying it, I can translate it for you. Her mail is ren-sae at online dot no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Thanks. I'll probably wait a while (finish my other projects!) and then see if I want to shell out 7 dollars or find a free pattern that looks like it.

It's so cute though!

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

It is, isn't it!
I almost can't wait to go on a girl's night out with my little wino bag. :D

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
Hahaha. Now I want to try to make a felted bag too. I was thinking about Knitty's french market bag as a lunch bag--but I haven't felted anything before. If I make substitutions with some Patons or other wool, would matching up the gauge of the swatch be enough? And as for felting, do I just reach into the washer water and fish up the bag to see how far it's progress? Or how would I do it?

Also I'd like to try out lace, but it's not really my style to wear shawls or wraps. What other applications can I do lace besides making pillows and table coverings?

jomiel fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Mar 20, 2008

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Midnight Sun posted:

Felted wine box bag.

Um. Is box wine not completely terrible where you are? Because that's a lot of effort to wrap up bad wine.

I do buy the stuff for mulling though. Enough spices and sugar and it's just wine-chai!

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

jomiel posted:

Hahaha. Now I want to try to make a felted bag too. I was thinking about Knitty's french market bag as a lunch bag--but I haven't felted anything before. If I make substitutions with some Patons or other wool, would matching up the gauge of the swatch be enough? And as for felting, do I just reach into the washer water and fish up the bag to see how far it's progress? Or how would I do it?

Also I'd like to try out lace, but it's not really my style to wear shawls or wraps. What other applications can I do lace besides making pillows and table coverings?

Obviously I'm no expert, but I'd make a swatch beforehand and felt that, just to make sure that it shrinks at about the same rate as the yarn in the pattern.

It's probably also smart to read this guide, just so you know how to do everything.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Pile of Kittens posted:

Um. Is box wine not completely terrible where you are? Because that's a lot of effort to wrap up bad wine.

I do buy the stuff for mulling though. Enough spices and sugar and it's just wine-chai!
No, we have lots of good box wine in Norway. Almost every bottled wine also comes in a boxed version, so it's not just a bag for wrapping up lousy poo poo. ;)

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya

elbow posted:

Obviously I'm no expert, but I'd make a swatch beforehand and felt that, just to make sure that it shrinks at about the same rate as the yarn in the pattern.

It's probably also smart to read this guide, just so you know how to do everything.

Thanks for the link! :D

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Jomiel, I think the Sophie Bag is really cute. The pattern looks really simple, too.

two handprints
Mar 12, 2003

I have to commend everyone's sock accomplishments. I can not stand to knit with such tiny needles. Well, no... that's not true; I can stand to but I'd prefer not to, and therefore have never even ATTEMPTED a pair of socks. I would absolutely hate it, I've convinced myself, and would be afraid to ever wear them for fear of wearing a hole in one of them or something. Even though it probably wouldn't happen. :)

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

I can't believe I finally finished something! I've been working on this drat scarf forever. It sat around for well over a year. I loved playing with the colors and picking what yarn to use next, but I just got sick of working on it for some reason. I'm mostly happy with how it came out. I think the cast-on row is a little too tight even though I used a needle two sizes up, because I always cast on freakishly tight. But the twist that produces is only a little noticable.

I almost decided against giving it as a gift for that reason. But after prancing around the house in it for an hour or so, I realized that I'd still wear it. And I can be really drat picky about finishing, so I guess it's still a decent present.

More pics at Ravelry.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
Thanks for bag pattern, Midnight Sun. That does look really cute :) Maybe I can needle felt a :3: face on it...

And Deety, that scarf looks great!

My blue socks are taking forever at 7 stitches an inch and I'm making it for my brother so it's longer and bigger than my previous socks :(

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Deety, congrats on finally finishing your scarf. The colors are really nice together.

Jomiel, a felted bag with a :3: face sounds soooo cute! I want one! :D

Emo.fm
Jan 2, 2007
On the topic of crochet (which I can do pretty well, as opposed to knitting), does anyone know where I can find amigurumi (spelling?) patterns for free? I've seen a ton for sale on Etsy, but, uh, y'know... cheapster here. I'm especially looking for patterns of elephants and penguins.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
Here are some amigurumi links from Ravelry:
penguin & elephan and other animals: http://www.lionbrand.com/content-crochetPatternIndex.html?d=Children
snail: http://www.fortheloveofyarn.com/Issues/Spring06/patterns/spring06_snail.shtml
acron!: http://www.planetjune.com/blog/free-crochet-patterns/amigurumi-acorn/

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
From a while back:

machinegirl posted:

I lined mine with some quilter's batik. You can see my crappy pictures here. It took a while with a sewing machine, and it's not the most perfect of jobs, but it works fine, and keeps the bag from getting stretched out. The handle? Not so much.

Do you have any advice for how to go about lining the bag? I'm almost done and I still can't find a very good tutorial. I'm a bit nervous about it because last time I tried lining a bag I totally ruined it.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Midnight Sun posted:

No, we have lots of good box wine in Norway. Almost every bottled wine also comes in a boxed version, so it's not just a bag for wrapping up lousy poo poo. ;)

As usual, you guys are WAY ahead of the curve. Everyone argues that it's the boxing process that makes it bad, but I know better!

Bad Mitten
Aug 26, 2004
Intuition as guided by experience

Drei posted:

From a while back:

Do you have any advice for how to go about lining the bag? I'm almost done and I still can't find a very good tutorial. I'm a bit nervous about it because last time I tried lining a bag I totally ruined it.

I used this tutorial link: http://www.futuregirl.com/craft_blog/2008/01/tutorial-sew-lining-for-crocheted-bag.html

Mine came out pretty good for my first time. I could have sewn it to the bag better, but hand sewing has always been a pain for me.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me
Yay, a knitting thread!!

I really, really like doing scarves, I think that's my favorite thing, because I can just sit in front of the TV and do the same motion over and over without counting or worrying about screwing up a pattern. Sorry about the picture quality, my real camera broke and now I just use my cell phone.

Two skeins of Bernat Disco on size 17 needles

Detail of my favorite scarf ever. Garter stitch, maybe 5 or 6 stitches on size 17 needles. It knitted up in a couple hours and was fluffy and gorgeous. I wish I knew what kind of yarn this was, but I stole it from my mom and she'd already rolled it, so I didn't have a label.

Wearing the long skinny one

I made this for my sister with Lamb's Pride Bulky on circular needles for a horizontal stripe and I really like how it turned out. It was really fast to work too, I finished it in a couple hours.

My favorite pattern for a warm winter scarf. 48 stitches, size 10.5 needles, 2x2 rib. I used some yarn called "I Love This Yarn!" from Hobby Lobby and it turned out thick and warm and heavy and absolutely amazing.

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001
So let's just say that I know this girl who has been knitting for about 5 years now, but mostly lace or stuff in the round. And then she starts to knit a sweater for herself that's raglan from the top down and is knitted back and forth before joining in the round, and she notices that her stockingette is kinda wonky looking, almost as if the stitches every other row are just ... wrong, maybe twisted somehow. Then she remembers how it takes a little extra effort on her knit rows because it's almost like she's trying to knit into a stitch that isn't seated right on the needles, and then narrows the issue down to her purl rows. She decides to look up purling on the web, and is embarrassed to realize that she's been wrapping the yarn on purl stitches clockwise instead of counterclockwise - FOR THE PAST 5 YEARS...

My god. Do you have any idea how hard it is to break that "muscle memory" instinct?? I swear, I've picked out at LEAST 5 purl rows in the last ten because I was reading while I knitted, or otherwise not paying attention and letting the hands go on auto-pilot.

Not to mention feeling like a complete idiot that I've been purling wrong FOR THE PAST FIVE YEARS. On the other hand, I think I just solved the mystery of why my row gauge has always been consistently off...

*sigh*

:sweatdrop:

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Aww, that sucks. But I guess it's good that you finally figured out what was wrong.

How did the stockinette turn out when you were purling wrong? I'm kinda amazed that you've never realized it before, five years is a lot of knitting. V:)V

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001

Midnight Sun posted:

Aww, that sucks. But I guess it's good that you finally figured out what was wrong.

How did the stockinette turn out when you were purling wrong? I'm kinda amazed that you've never realized it before, five years is a lot of knitting. V:)V

I usually knit in the round whenever I can convert a pattern to do so - so I knit a lot of socks, hats, kids sweaters, etc, where I rarely purl anything. If I'm knitting something back and forth it's probably lace in which case a twisted purl stitch might or might not look funny and gauge isn't an issue. In all honesty, I'm not certain that I've been purling wrong for the whole time I've been knitting, because I can't remember thinking that my stockingette stitches looked funky way back when, but I do know I've been doing it for awhile because I've often thought that there must be something strange with how I knit on the rare occasion that I've tried a flat swatch and the knit stitches seemed particularly sticky to put my needle into.

I noticed it this time because I was paying particular attention to my swatch since the yarn for this project cost a freaking fortune. It's a 4 ply silk dk-weight and it's not a tight ply. Wrapping the yarn the wrong way on the purl stitches was twisting the "bottom" of the purl stitch as looked at on the knit side of the work and in turn it was biasing the fabric slightly to the right.

Maybe I got all mixed up two years ago when I taught myself to knit backwards to be able to do entrelac without having to flip my project so often, and I've just been wrong ever since? Who knows!

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
I figured out I was wrapping my purl stitches the wrong direction too! Last summer I was working on the Gidget bikini from Naughty Needles, where one cup is all knit garter, and the other was all purl garter, and the second cup was coming out waaaaaay too small even when I increased needle sizes. By the time I was using a needle about 4 sizes larger I decided to doublecheck if I was purling right, and I wasn't!

And then I decided that if purl stitches were actually wrapped counterclockwise, knit stitches must be wrapped clockwise. :downs: But I'm better now.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Kalista! I learned 2 years ago that I was twisting MY stitches too.

I've been knitting since I was little. I've been twisting them my WHOLE LIFE. I could never figure out why it seemed so "hard" for me unless I was going in the round.

Lost Mustard
Mar 20, 2004

ABORT!
I've been knitting for a couple of years, but I haven't really tried anything really challenging yet.

A hat and scarf that I never wore because I was never exposed to the cold long enough to need them.

Another scarf.

A purse I made following a pattern out of Knitting for Dummies. I hadn't quite mastered stockinette stitch yet, so when it told me to make the strap using stockinette, I didn't. So, the purse and the strap stretched when I put anything heavier than chapstick in the purse. :( I should remake that purse. I really like the colors.

A collage of kitties I made using this pattern: http://geobabe.livejournal.com/195349.html

A kitty hat I made for my nephew. :3:

And finally, a Gimme Cat of Final Fantasy IX fame (infamy?). I'm pretty proud to say that I made this pattern up as I went along. However, I'm not so proud to say that I didn't write the pattern down, so I can't share it.

One of these days, I'm going to expand my knitting abilities. :colbert:

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001

Drei posted:

And then I decided that if purl stitches were actually wrapped counterclockwise, knit stitches must be wrapped clockwise. :downs: But I'm better now.

Ozma posted:

Kalista! I learned 2 years ago that I was twisting MY stitches too.

I've been knitting since I was little. I've been twisting them my WHOLE LIFE. I could never figure out why it seemed so "hard" for me unless I was going in the round.

I feel a lot less stupid now since I realize I'm not the only one with this brain-freeze, thanks! :hfive:

Also, Lost Mustard, your FFIX cat is very cool!!

Kalista fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Mar 30, 2008

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Lost Mustard: Your cats are so cool! :D

You people who twist your stitches, why not try knitting continental style? I'm not even sure I know what your problem is, and in continental style there's no need for strange yarn wrapping...

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Lost Mustard posted:

A collage of kitties I made using this pattern: http://geobabe.livejournal.com/195349.html

I made a little knitted version of my kitty with that pattern.

My cat will carry it around with her sometimes, which she does with her toys a lot (we can't tell if she thinks she's carrying a baby or a fresh kill!). It's adorable. :)

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Yay, another felted bag! And my first attempt on needle felting. Felted the heart on after felting the bag in the washer.

Nrapture
Feb 8, 2007
Midnight Sun, all of your bags are amazing! I really adore the wine box one.

I've been continuing my attempts at knitting.

Baby Blanket

Bobbled dish cloth

Here’s to crappy yarn that had a very obvious color variation for two stitches. It doesn’t look like I bled on it at all.

First attempt at hat

Notice the ridges? I knitted the entire thing through the back loop. *sigh*

Second attempt at hat

This is what the hat is supposed to look like. This knitted up soooo much faster.

More pictures of each are on Ravelry: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Nrapture

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Thanks, Nrapture! :)

And I think the hat with the ridges look really cool, the ridges makes it special. :3:

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Yet another bag (bear with me here):

Now I needle felted it before felting the bag. And I poked the hell out of two of my fingers. :(

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya

Midnight Sun posted:

Yet another bag (bear with me here):

Now I needle felted it before felting the bag. And I poked the hell out of two of my fingers. :(
So cute!

Do you line the bag or is it thick enough to be on its own? I haven't been knitting these last few weeks so I didn't get to make mine yet, but I am not confident of my sewing abilities and want a bag that would be able to carry around heavy things. What kind of yarn do you use?

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

jomiel: I don't line my bags, I don't know how to sew and I don't have a sewing machine. They are quite sturdy and i lug my checkered bag around all the time, and it holds up nicely.

As for yarn, I live in Norway, so I guess it would be hard for you to get the exact same yarn as I use. For all the bags except the baby blue/white bag and the wine box bag I've used Gjestal Østlandsgarn. For the wine box bag I've used Sandnes Fritidsgarn, it's a bit bulkier and I had to felt the bag twice to get it to the right size and lose stitch definition. For the blue bag, I've used Trysil Sportsgarn, it's similar to Østlandsgarn, but I found out that it felts a lot more and I don't think I'll be using it again. You can check out the links to find something similar, I guess you could use Cascade 220 instead of Østlandsgarn.

fap
Jul 1, 2003

roll you up into my life.

Midnight Sun posted:

Yay, another felted bag! And my first attempt on needle felting. Felted the heart on after felting the bag in the washer.

I love it! I tried my hand at needle felting at a local fiber arts festival, but they were doing boring projects to me. (felted easter eggs, anyone?) I like stuff that looks good that I can actually use. And that bag is the cutest felted bag I've ever seen.

I bought some Cascade 220 at a great price at WEBS (also known as yarn.com) 9 hanks at $4.89 a piece! They also have Cascade Superwash on sale. I'm going to do my first sweater project, a Central Park Hoodie.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Thank you, fap! :)

Good luck on the Central Park Hoodie, it's a wonderful pattern. I want to knit one myself, I just have to get over my aversion for anything not felted first. ;)

Viewers Like Me
Nov 4, 2004

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
Here's my knits! I finally finish some knits and took a few photos.
This is my ever growing collection of yarns and needles.

Viewers Like Me
Nov 4, 2004

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
My roll brim hat. Linking images is hard sorry about the replies.

Viewers Like Me fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Apr 14, 2008

Viewers Like Me
Nov 4, 2004

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Viewers Like Me posted:

My roll brim hat. I used Malabigo yarn it's pretty good but expensive.http://www.malabrigoyarn.com/yarn.html

And this drat scarf/boa thing which I used this Patons fun fur stuff that was so hard to knit with. I'm never using that stuff again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Viewers Like Me, I want your stash!