Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
I'm relatively new to knitting as well and my purl was always a bit loose until I made the Fibonacci scarf. Purling 30,000+ stitches made me a lot more confident and happy with it.

https://i.imgur.com/xvADSTL.jpg
(I'm still an idiot at bbcode after all these years)

Long straight scarves sort of burned me out in repetitiveness but now I'm happy making hats in the round.

DRINK ME fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Oct 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006

OldNorthBridge posted:

I finished my first Geek-A-Long square!  Seeing that I'm an old and have vivid memories of playing Oregon Trail in my elementary school library in 1980 (I was in 1st grade) on an Apple II, I went with this:

The letters at the bottom are kind of jacked up, but I corrected that in latter letters.  All in all, I'm really happy with how it came out and have already started another one.  My 11 year old daughter loves it and now I'm starting to feel like she is angling for me to make a blanket out of these for her.

Thanks for posting this, I was curious enough to google Geek-A-Long and I finally get double knitting thanks to the latte and llamas video.

I made the nice little bookmark from the tutorial video and then I made it again with nice edges and a nicer cast off thanks to Sockmatician videos.

And a GAL square (with the boringest wool choice because that’s what I had):

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
Still practicing my double knitting as we move into summer in the Southern Hemisphere. Poor scarf is going to hang in the closet for a solid 7 months now

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006

Genpei Turtle posted:

I finally finished my wife's cardigan, just in time for the holidays! :toot:

It was an instructive project in multiple ways--I never knew that womens' clothing had the buttons on the left until doing this pattern.

Only problem is I think I messed it up a bit blocking it. It turned out a little smaller than I had wanted so I stretched it out a bit--see how it looks a little "wavy" at the hems where I pinned it? Is there any way I can fix that, or am I just going to have to block it all over again?

drat that’s pretty, what’s the yarn?

Allegedly men’s clothing has buttons on the right so you could remove your jacket with your left hand when you get into a sword fight defending your honour or some such.

Does anyone have any good pointers or patterns for knitting first cardigan or pullover? Coming up on a long holiday and wanting to take on a larger project but it’s tough to tell just how difficult any given pattern is.

Here’s a lacey scarf I completed last week, lesson learned: this patterns stretches like crazy.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006

left_unattended posted:

Tin Can Knits patterns are great, always well laid out and they usually have links to tutorials for any tricky bits. Their most basic pullover is Flax, which is free on Rav, and a really good one if you're new to sweaters.
Thanks, that is really well explained and I feel somewhat confident approaching it.

Will definitely keep an eye out for the name in future.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
I’ve been knocking out a lot of hats lately and I’m now very comfortable with stranded colourwork. I wanted to do a slightly different design and either I can’t work out how to google it or I’m just dumb:

I want a hat that only has a pattern on the front 1/4 of the hat instead of the repeating patterns in the round that I’ve been working - do I carry the pattern colour yarn around the entire circumference, catch the float every x stitches and waste a lot of yarn? Or do I break the pattern yarn after each row and end up with 60 extra ends to weave in? Or is there some other way I haven’t considered?

Thanks!

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
Thanks, both options look like they will work for me. I’ll try the intarsia in the round and see how it goes.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
Those sweaters are beautiful and I’m going to add the cardigan to the bottom of my “I want to knit this” list.

My lockdown knitting has gone from super-ambitious to non-existent to slowly, due to a hand injury that prevented me from doing anything until this week. I’ve started working another mermaid lap blanket due to my niece outgrowing her first one.

Aerofallosov posted:

Jumping out to say those ARE awesome!

I keep thinking I'll make a sweater one day, but it looks intimidating. And I keep thinking I might make another blanket.
My first sweater was Flax by Tincanknits, in a child’s size. I think as a recommendation from this thread. Free pattern and a good tutorial on their site that goes into more detail. After that, and then Flax Light, sweaters are a lot less intimidating.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
Joined Show me your knits! group. That Ravelry site makeover is something else, a bit ugly but still functional.

The biggest problem I have is forgetting to take photos of FO because I get all excited to give it to someone. That said I get about 70% of my projects posted on there because it’s the single location I use for almost all my knitting needs.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
I went a bit overboard during lockdown - but I’ve got a hell of a stash going on right now. At my slow rate of knitting I think I’m set for at least a year, if not two - as long as I don’t spy something different I want to knit and buy specific yarn for it, which is pretty likely to happen.

I did an order from Love Knitting which ships to Australia from the UK, with COVID reducing flights and delaying international mail, and no tracking on the parcel, it took nearly 3 months. In the meantime I got fed up and ordered a bunch of yarn from an Australian place, more expensive but the shipping only took like 2 weeks to get delivered from 15km away. And finally there was a lady on a Gumtree unloading a lot of yarn for cheap and she somehow managed to convince me to buy the lot because she threw in the cheap plastic storage containers.

Speaking of spying something different I want to knit: I watched the movie Becky the other night and while it was a so-so movie with a nearly unidentifiable Kevin James, I’m planning on doing a version of the hat soon. I like it so much I’ll have all the nieces and nephews in them next winter.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006

effika posted:

For blocking wires I found some welding rods that were apparently terrible to weld with but had a nice case. They work great for blocking knitting!

I did the same too, cheap stainless steel welding rods. I had to file a little bit of roughness off the ends but they work ok for the price.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
Does anyone have any suggestions for what this yarn is?

I picked it up for :10bux: for twelve balls in a big bag with no info on it. I thought it looked like lace (2ply or 4ply) but it’s six strands: three black, three silver but not twisted, just grouped. I did a little test knit with it and it seems roughly equivalent to 8ply so I definitely have plenty of uses for it but I’m just curious if this is someone knows what it is. My best guess is it’s some kind of novelty yarn but maybe it’s just something I’m unaware of.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006

Sirius Jayne posted:

Besides pretty? You can get an idea what the fiber is by doing the burn test. Unless you're a pyro. Then don't do the burn test. I'm putting this disclaimer in here now because nobody should ever do a yarn burn test indoors and especially not if you have cats or small children around. or pyro friends. :berninator:

Cotton burns rapidly, yellow flames, continues burning. Smells like paper, and the residue is brown-tinged and produces feathery ash. Don't stand too close or you'll catch the Feathery Ash!
Linen burns slower than cotton, smells like rope and the ash maintains shape.Shapely Ash.
Ramie burns slowly, smells like rope. The ash maintains shape. Shapely Ash.
Rayon burns slowly, smells like paper or cotton fabric, very little residue. Suffers from a bad case of Fluffy Ash.
Silk burns slowly, self-extinguishing (if high content), smells like hair. The residue is a crushable black bead.
Wool burns slowly, self-extinguishing (if high content), smells like hair. The residue is a small, friable, black bead.
Nylon, polyester, acrylic, and synthetics tend to melt and fuse, and they smell like chemicals. because: synthetics. They leave a hard bead or mass. In fact, i like to think of it as Hard Ash.

:kingsley:

Thank you :love:

It’s acrylic/synthetic, quick burn and melt up to a bead... Hard Ash.

Should also be noted to cut it long enough to give you time to drop it, in case it is a synthetic that’s burns to your fingers super quick. Don’t be stingy with your pyro yarn.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
Nice work and definitely pretty yarn. Is that the Tincanknits Flax? It has a similar design with the garter panel on the sleeve.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
Cool. I did Flax and Flax Light in toddler sizes as my first sweaters. I really like tincanknits because it’s a free patterns and also a detailed write up, which gives me some confidence in approaching new things. I’ve just started my first adult size sweater and doing one of their paid patterns called “Almanac”.

While I’m posting: I also did their Worlds Simplest Mittens in August, as I wanted fingerless mittens for the cold mornings but with phone use.
The brown were too small, the blue were about right (with a few mistakes) and the red I removed the garter panel because I thought it would look nice without it and they are the ones I have been wearing.

Then I made some Norwegian style mittens from a free pattern on Ravelry and converted the pattern to a matching hat. I can’t see ever wearing them altogether but enjoyed the knitting.
(top down: hat, left, right)

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
That looks like a very cosy cardy.

How did you find the larger Caron Cakes? I bought a small one with included hat pattern when I was still new to knitting, it had quite a few joins and knots through it and I sort of wrote off Caron brand after that.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
I tried blocking one pair of fingerless mittens with a few blocking wires (welding rods) but didn’t really do much, the others I knit I just left to dry flat and they were fine.

I made another octopus and I feel like I’m finally confident in embroidering the eyes. I do one of these every now and then for a break, now back to this endless sweater, knitting round after round of grey.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006

Mad Hamish posted:

Hello, I would just like to brag that on the weekend I completed my third pair of socks and the first pair I felt is actually fit to wear. It took me about two weeks per sock but I'm incredibly happy with them!

They look so cozy and I love the yarn. Wondering if I can knit one massive sock and climb in there. I have knit mermaid lap blankets for my nieces, so it might work…

I still haven’t tried a normal sock but bookmarking that link for the day I finally do.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
These are super cute. I have so many dog patterns saved in my ‘one day’ list.

I love doing mittens. Do you have a link or name for the second one - the blue cross ones?
—-

Anyone have experience beading their knitting? Any hints, tips or recommendations?

I’ve done a few shawls, which all have optional beading and really want to give it a shot. I’ve got some nice malabrigo lace, a 1mm crotchet hook and a pattern picked out (Dancing Butterflies). So now I just need to find 824 beads (probably 1000 to account for dropping). I had a look at the big chain craft and hobby places (Spotlight and Lincraft in AU) and their beads tend more towards the larger sizes, for jewellery. I did find a shop on the other side of the city that just sells beads and seems to have what I need - 8/0 seed beads - so I think that’s where I’ll get them from.

I’ve read a little bit on the topic - about either loading up your yarn with beads or using the little crochet hook to bead the stitch. About different bead types, sizes, # per gram, etc. so I think I’m about ready although I can’t get to that shop until the weekend. So I just thought I’d ask the question while I plan, give myself a break from highlighting the charts - I find it a lot easier and quicker to work charts once they’re coloured, as opposed to just symbols but it’s a lot of shading tiny squares :effort:
I don’t do the knit and purl stitches, just the fancy ones.

DRINK ME fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jan 4, 2022

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006

Anne Whateley posted:

If you can swing it, I would get a fleegle beader and a Beadalon Spin-n-Bead Junior, which I still suspect is magic. Beading as you go is usually a better, much easier plan unless you want a specific effect from prestringing. The only downside is that the yarn has to fit through doubled. Bring your yarn with you to check it will fit through 8/0, which can be iffy. Make sure you choose a yarn that won't break from the added friction and weight of beads (on rav, search for beaded projects in that yarn)

also just prepare for the number of beads you're about to buy. There are so many colors and shapes and effects, and they're so cheap and small to store
Thanks, I found and ordered a feagle beader but no luck with a spin-n-bead, just a bunch of generic ones from China that will arrive in months. The videos of them is pretty cool, will definitely keep an eye out for one.

Midnight Sun posted:

Those are the Snøkrystall (Snowflake) mittens, from Sandnes Garn. The pattern is only available in Norwegian, I think, but if you're used to knitting mittens the chart should be easy to follow.
Should be fine if I can grab a chart and I’ll just substitute the outline from another Norwegian mitten pattern. Thank you.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006

Nothing against generic, I just want it a bit sooner than most stuff arrives from China and can’t find any stock in Australia. I’ll likely end up buying one but just not going to arrive in time for this project.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
Beautiful sweaters both of you.

I’m in the middle of a huge sweater for my mother but it is at the stage of “never ending and I don’t want to keep working on it because it’s just taking forever”. So I keep making hats and wash clothes and pencil cases because I love projects that are done in a weekend.

My brother sent me this book for hats as a thanks recently. Completely unnecessary but the design of the book is neat, the pages are cut into three: brim, body, crown. All designed to be knit in 8 ply/DK so you can mix and match designs. There’s a couple of good ideas in there but I haven’t tried any yet.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
^^ when I started I did this because all the knitwear I owned was very tightly knit (and came from a machine) so I’d try to keep it very tight on every stitch. The first time I hit a triple decrease in a pattern I struggled so much because my knitting was too tight.

You might just need to loosen up, knit your stitch and move to the next one, don’t give your yarn a little tug to cinch it tight - it’s not a knot.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
After seeing videos of knitters just ripping through row after row while knitting continental I tried to force myself to learn, mostly because I wanted to be that quick when doing ribbing because I make a lot of hats - lots of 1x1 and 2x2 ribbing, yarn forward, yarn back all the time.

It mostly went okay but slow while learning, however it just didn’t feel right to me and after a bit I just slid back to English style. At this stage I think I’m just too comfortable and can’t force myself to relearn.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
Stupid poo poo I have been putting up with and never even thought about fixing: Circulars with plastic cables can sometimes coil back on themselves and be a pain in the arse to work with.

I only have a 3mm circular in 60cm cable and I’m knitting 26 stitches on it. So I was sitting cross-legged on the couch with the middle of the cable held by my big toe to keep it out of the way and thought there must be a better way. Sure enough the first result:

You can stick them in a container or sink with some boiling water for like a minute and they will uncoil themselves, pull them out and quick dry and back to knitting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMb3FzqUjJI

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
I’m old so I just use the awful iOS app, it handles the upload, link, and tags. The only thing I occasionally need to remember is to flatten live images before I try to share

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
They’re very nice socks and yarn. I like the second pair with the lace panel.

I keep wanting to try socks but there’s always something else I want to knit first - I tried to force myself to knit continental so I would be faster and complete more projects, but I just couldn’t stick with it.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
Cast on a multiple of 10 stitches with a single colour, *knit 5 pink, knit 5 purple* to end of row. Flip and same again.

I don’t think it’s double knit because the twists seem to leave the colours in the same position - I mean you can do that but it kind of takes the fun out of double knitting where you can reverse he pattern colour or do a different pattern on the other side. I would have to be some kind of stoned to get to 17 feet of that though, like morphine drip stoned.

And an excuse to repost the One Ring scarf which is just over 6 foot of non-mirrored double-knit (text legible from both sides instead of being reversed on one side). I’ve been thinking about doing another one but with better colours, maybe a fancy border.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
Thought I’d search to see if she ever published anything but all I found was your posts chasing this outfit - I even had a look at Trove and just got the same outfit. If she didn’t write down patterns then you’re probably stuck with trying to find similar.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
I’ve only ever used cotton yarn to make dishcloths and washcloths so it’s kind of fitting.

This years summer knitting project (Australia so we’ve just entered summer) is using a huge amount of bulky yarn I picked up cheap to make a big warm poncho/blanket type thing for when I’m camping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
Looks beautiful. Grafting takes 120% of my concentration to get right and even then I might screw it up… I like tincanknits type stuff where it’s top-down and ‘put these stitches in hold for the sleeves.’