Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.
For a front-loader, I'd say knit a swatch (swatch!) and measure before and after. I didn't see any harm (using Rowan Big Wool) but it was a purse and not anything I needed a specific 'fit' on. Just put it in for the shortest possible cycle.

Conversely you could always try it in a tub / sink.

edited to add- nope, since the draining didn't involve any further agitation it didn't seem to do anything else. But I also didn't need to add a pair of jeans in to give my purse anything to agitate with because of the longer cycle, I found.

Molly Bloom fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Mar 17, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.
And I can tell you that Alan Dart writes wonderful and clear patterns. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.

like Bagpuss:

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.
Owls!

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

hurray!

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

Aery posted:

If you're on Ravelry, it's here http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/owls-2

If you're not, it's here http://needled.wordpress.com/designs/

Sorry for not linking up. Owls is a seriously fast knit. Chunky wool, 6.5mm needles a shaped waist and less than a week to finish- and I am a slow knitter.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.
Oh, god....aeolian is so on my list now. Shipwreck shawl might be on there, too.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

Micomicona posted:

I swore to myself I'd never knit another shawl after my last one took me two years to finish, but dang both of those are tempting...

I know exactly what you mean. I've got several shawls in various stages of 'wreck', two in Kidsilk haze. I recently just said 'gently caress it' to the border on the Snowdrop shawl (Yarn Harlot) just to get the loving thing done.

I also want to do a wedding ring shawl in gossamer weight.

edit: oh jesus gently caress, I went to block it and heard 'twang'. Now there's a huge goddamn hole in it. I'm just throwing it the gently caress out. I cannot do this again.

Molly Bloom fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 13, 2009

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.
Following the shawl incident, I have prepared everything for my first steek tomorrow.

I may die.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

Bad Mitten posted:

I haven't tried steeking yet. I have half knit a scarf that will eventually need to be steeked but I put it away because the Harrisville felt like brillo. You must post a trip report on steeking. For science and knitting.

I don't have step by step pictures as I was too freaking rattled. But Eunny Jang has pictorial directions on each of the steeking methods. I sewed and crochet reinforced, as my wool was really smooth (baby cardi)- brillo wool is likely easier.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.
Sorry for the blurry, but here's a crap picture of my steeked project

and again from my poo poo camera, here's where the flaps get sewn down on the inside. The front and sleeves are steeked, the bottom of the body and sleeves are hemmed.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.
Don't sweat the wooly slab thing. It's true that everyone does it. It's how you sew up that wooly slab that counts.

Plus people that can't even make the wooly slab are really impressed.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.
^ooooh, pretty wool...who/what is it?

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

Seneschal posted:

Also, does anyone know how to make a thumb-hole on some fingerless gloves? I'm having a problem figuring it out without a pattern.

how are you wanting to knit them? Flat or in the round? Flat is fairly obvious, as you'd just eave a gap in your seaming and have a thumb hole out the side.

In the round you have a couple options, including a more finished thumb hole like Eunny Jang's Endpaper mitts- you increase the size of your arm--tube to fit the lower palm of your hand, then put some stitches on a holder for later. You finish up your arm-tube then come back and work a thumb tube. Conversely, you could work a few rows flat in your arm tube to create a gap at your joining stitch, then rejoin once you ahve enough room for your thumb.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.
When I lived in Aberdeen, I bought at John Lewis...so now I've got a stockpile from their sales.

I live in a town without a JL now, so I don't buy too much..but I get my odds and ends from an old lady with a stoma and electric voicebox who I am in love with.

Molly Bloom fucked around with this message at 13:13 on May 25, 2009

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.
Just cast off on aeolian. After my last experience blocking, I am simply terrified.

I'll also have to wait until boy is out of town next weekend to block, because he doesn't get why a lump of sodden wool can't wait until later / why it has to stay out until dry.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

Wandering Knitter posted:

Knitty and I seem to have vastly different ideas on what would make a good Christmas present and what wouldn't. I don't even know where those split-mittens would come in handy.

On the other hand I love that little crab :3:

They're so you can knit the crab and then pretend you're the Lobster Boy.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

Aardvarklet posted:

Reminds me a little too much of that genetic disorder...ectrodactyly?

:nms: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ectrodactyly :nms:

Yeah, I can't see myself making those as a Christmas gift. Unless I knew someone with the disorder! Then I'd be crying tears of joy at that pattern.

Exactly- That's what Lobster Boy had, but I couldn't get waffleimages to work earlier. Here in lovely Scotland, they're apparently 'Partens' (crabs) or 'cleppies'

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.
Still no Aeolian blocking, but I thought I'd attempt blocking a lesser shawl first (after Snowdrop shawl self-destructed) and one that I started a few years ago.

So here's Elann's Forget-Me-Not Shawl in Kidsilk Haze, which is awful to knit in the Summer.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

Malleus Maleficarum posted:

That's almost certainly the problem; I wanted to start NOW DAMMIT and therefore grabbed some cheapass Susan Bates ones from JoAnn. :smith:

That cat is adorable! I think furry toys are about the only legitimate use that Fun Fur will ever have.

You can straighten the cheap needles some-I only own one pair of Addis, and the rest are Pony cheap circs. I boil water in my kettle, stick the needles in a bowl and then pour the water in. When it's cooled off enough to reach in, grap your circs and pull cord taut. It takes care of the worst of the kinking and has never hurt my needles.

Cheers for comments on the shawl. Will be blocking Aeolian next- what the heck, here it is. The people that lived here before made evrything in this place poo brown, I am sorry.

Molly Bloom fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jun 23, 2009

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.
Just joined myself. I'm Modgonne over there- and bad about taking pictures.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

Ozma posted:

@ Joann's? Sales, sure. Product, no. I won't buy much from them anymore these days if I can avoid it (I am a psychotic quilter who legitimately holds a grudge against them for a kefluffle last year involving a TOO EDGY QUILTING MAGAZINE- how sad is that?), but their yarn selection hasn't done much for me. Beverley's has been better lately. Even the Ace Hardware store that I go past on my way to work has a better yarn selection than Joann's on most days.

Currently at Michaels for the holidays, and ordering from knitpicks while I'm in the US. Michaels accepts everyone else's coupons (AC Moore, Joannes, etc), and the fisherman's wool (which felts!) has a lot of yardage and is a very nice price when half off.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

Genpei Turtle posted:

While we're on the topic of sweaters we'd love to knit, I present the following, which is what I vow to do some day:

Click here for the full 1000x600 image.

It's the Henry VIII classic sweater. You have to buy both the yarn and the pattern together if you want to do it though. I've only just started stranded knitting and have only been able to do continental at all for about a month, so I'm setting my sights high on this one, I think. Some day, hopefully sooner than later. (ha!)

Ha! I just bought Starmore's Celtic Collection. It's gonna be ace.

I am also contemplating the Habu steel yarn to knit and under/over shirt for a possible buy- the Rodarte for Target skeleton dress.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

Robin Sparkles posted:

I'm soo scared of snapping them! I can't really afford to buy more if they break so I'd be stuck using the little bits left behind, haha.

I'm not that tight of a knitter, but I just snapped a brand new pair of HiyaHiya circs. Bastard.

But I did complete a second aeolian shawlette and an aran-style scarf in three weeks. Now there are baby sweaters, Little Birds, Ivy League vest and a tea cozy on the horizon.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

If you still have some of the yarn you could do a little swatch and felt that to see how it would look.

What I would do personally is get some really soft yarn and pick up stitches around the inside of the band and knit a little liner just for the wrist part - they'll stay on better AND be warmer.

Nice colorwork btw!

The cashmerino has a little microfibre in it, if I remember correctly- so it would be worthwhile to try a swatch to see how that would react in felting.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

Z Is Overrated posted:

Which means that someone's gonna have to do the obvious thing and make mittens with them.

these mittens: http://knitty.com/ISSUEsummer09/PATTtridactyl.php

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.
I've been cutting knitting again, and all I can say is that our friends had better stop pumping out the babbies for a while, or I will die of stress.

Will try to find my camera someday, but it was done with Eunny Jang's steek tutorials.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

Genpei Turtle posted:

Is steeking that bad? I'll be steeking for the first time on my current project which will have steeked arm- and neck-holes. Quite frankly I don't want to even think about it. I still have about 40k stitches left to go before the scissors need to come out though so I have plenty of time to work up the nerve. :)

Not really, I exaggerate. It's dicier, however, if you're using acrylic yarn, as I did for these- they needed to be washable and you would not believe how many Scottish people seem to be allergic to wool.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

hollaback grandma posted:

Has anyone made Aeolian, or had experience with triangular shawls? I intended to start mine today but the chart is blowing my mind, and I definitely need some guidance before I cast on (provisionally, no less :bang:). Like, exchange AIM names guidance. Holy balls.

I've made Aeolian, though not with the beads...so..um..what's the problem?

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.
On the other hand, I love the frou-frou- I'm doing a Niebling doily.

Also, am I crazy to be thinking about doing a Starmore (namely, Katherine Howard)?

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

Crazy? Yes.

Crazy awesome!

And a little bit regular crazy, maybe. :) What colors are you thinking of?

I really liked the black and gold one on Ravelry, which would tone down the difficulty quite a bit (might be able to do it stranded rather than as instarsia) and make it easier to wear. I may do a 'draft' version in a blend or acrylic first, just to see if I like it. There's nothing worse than spending a huge amount of money on something that's just not right....

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

The general rule for lace is that every yarnover has a corresponding decrease. That's it. It doesn't even have to be on the same row or right next to the yarnover, although it often is.

It is, however, a general rule. If you're working a triangular or round piece, you'll be increasing at regular intervals. If you want to design or have a first try, I'd try a square/rectangle first. Knowing how to read your knitting helps, especially if a YO escapes.

My first lace was a six foot long feather and fan stitch scarf. With every single stitch twisted (knit through the back loop) because I didn't know any better. Yearg.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.
Do any of you have really, really thick relatives?

As in someone who waits until you are row 120 of a 220 row design, in slippy loving cotton, doing a double yarn over, who demands attention immediately? And then you watch in horror as one hundred rows of double yarn overs drops and unravel...while they whine that you don't love them because they can't get your undivided attention as you try to rescue the project? The project that you had to pull out of the vaccum cleaner once already, because they decided to vaccum the couch without moving your things (or moved them without asking you while you were up getting them a sandwich)?

I have one thirty-year-old, PhD, husband. Who does the above. And then says I've gone mental when I get *angry* about the fact he has destroyed what I was doing and that I obviously don't love him because I wanted him to shut the gently caress up for two minutes while I figured out if I could save it.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.
Well, the Niebling doily is in the bin now, so I guess I'm moving on. And I've learned how to read the Japanese charts, so I'll know how for the next one.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

elbow posted:

Am I the only one who doesn't get crazy upset about knitting being moved or stitches getting dropped? :confused:

I usually don't, but this project was a lot mroe fragile and unrescueable. He's old enough to not go sulk when I don't jump up to give him a hug mid-stitch.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.
I once put a little crochet hook through my finger joint. Well, 3/4 of the way there- it would almost have been easier to push it the rest of the way through and cut off the hook before removing it. The hook caught on things, lots of things, as I tried to work it free. It was horrible.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.
Goddam, son.

That is beautiful work.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.
Crochet hooks are ace for doing nupps with a large number of wraps on fine needles.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.
I feel really ill.

I got a copy of Tudor Roses. Not proud of how. And I started Katherine Howard.

Only one problem- there are two of page 102 and no page 103.

And there is, apparently, no library in the entire UK that has it. The nearest is in Denmark and they don't lend it internationally.

I am royally screwed.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

FelicityGS posted:

If you can wait the possibly 2 weeks it may take for me to get it, I'll see if I can interlibrary loan it and scan page 103 for you. I can put the request in today; if our ILL lady can't find it, she'll let me know much sooner than 2 weeks from now, and I can let you know.

You are quite possibly the best person in the whole wide world at this moment in time.

If you could, that would be briiiiiilliant.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

FelicityGS posted:

Update: The book is here! I will try and have the pattern scanned tomorrow or Friday. Let me know an email or some such to contact you and send it along by. (I don't have PMs)

You rock! I am modgonne at aol.com.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

FelicityGS posted:

Molly Bloom the scans have been sent. Let me know you got the email when you get a chance, and glad I could help!

I've got it and you are fab! Now the boy's Star Wars jumper's on hold again, to his disappointment.