Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Literally just started knitting earlier this afternoon. I went to the craft store and picked up a couple of the "teach yourself to knit" kits. I didn't want to just buy yarn and needles and have them be completely wrong for a pattern.

So I'm currently knitting a scarf that involves a lot of basic stitches. It's kind of ugly/pretty in places as I had to try the different stitches the first couple of times, but I feel stupidly excited as I see the scarf forming row by row. Is that common?

And how did all of your first projects and first experiments turn out? I feel like scarves will end up being pretty easy and so I'll want to branch out and try other garments, but am worried that they'll come out so bad that I'll be sad and never knit again.

And of course any tips for beginners would be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Ew, yeah. As excited as I was that the knit stitch was so easy and that I could do it without thinking, after ten inches of it for this practice scarf, I was beginning to get tired of it. So I'm glad that this practice scarf pattern also taught me about stockinette and ribbing.

Last night I managed to get a fifteenth loop on my needle when I was only supposed to have 14 and it turned out the problem was about 6 inches below where I was. Ah well, my (not so) handy learning booklet said that it was inevitable to have to rip out stitches.

And thanks for the video suggestions. That booklet that I have is not very clear and the pictures sometimes (to me anyway) contradict the words. I think I'm doing it right. It looks like the pictures anyway.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Jyrraeth posted:

There's actually some stuff I like in this knitty, but I'm still at the lumpy scarf level of skill. Really liking Rime.

Me too. I want to do something interesting after I finish a couple of Christmas scarves as gifts and I really like the look of Less Is More (probably just because of the colors). But I don't want to make something I really want and have it turn out lopsided.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

I made two scarves for Christmas. They were both my first projects. I made this one for my sister:

She's 14 and those are her high school colors. I learned a lot while making it and when I say a lot, I mean a lot of really simple things that probably should have been obvious to me or explained in some sort of book.

This one was for my husband who requested it as soon as I was done with the other one. He picked out his own yarn and I followed a pattern that I found on Ravelry.

Now I want to move on to something a little more difficult but I'm not quite sure what yet. I want to explore patterns both with color and with knitting styles, but a lot of things I see look intimidating. Maybe I'll try knitting in the round next.

Anyone have any suggestions for harder than scarves but not demoralizingly difficult projects?

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

So I have decided that it's time for me to get a set of knitting needles so that I don't have to go and buy a pair for every single new project I decide to make. I was looking at possibilities online but decided to go with the instant gratification option and just buy whatever my craft store had. Surprise, my craft store didn't have any sets of knitting needs, just individual sets.

So since my desire is being delayed I figured I'd get expert opinions. What do you all prefer to use? Aluminum, wood, something else? I have a couple sets of aluminum Boye needles and a pair of plastic ones. I don't particularly prefer one over the other. Should I get a kit of straight needles and a kit of circulars, just get a kit of interchangeable circulars? Buy everything separately? What works for all of you?

I'm willing to entertain any possibilities in needles because I'm willing to try any knitting project that looks cool. Thanks for the help.

a friendly penguin fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 4, 2013

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Thanks, everyone, for the needle suggestions. I went with the Nickel plated Interchangeables from KnitPicks. They are magnificent. They knit like butter. I started a basic cardigan with them and I've already run out of space on my cables. Had to order connectors and now I'm eagerly awaiting those. I also ordered some longer cables for future projects that will probably need way more space.

Meanwhile I'm knitting a hat for some practice in the round with a fair isle element.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

rear end Crackers! posted:

So I'm trying to make these gloves for a friend, and I've hit a snag. It isn't very clear on where to start the thumb. I can follow a pattern when it's written out row by row. As it is, I'm lost. Can anyone clear it up for me? Thanks!

From what I can tell, you don't start the thumb until everything else is done. It appears to me (I'm just a beginner at knitting just so take it with a grain of salt) that the whole thing is knit with straight needles rather than in the round and you just sew everything up at the end. So if you skip to the end of the pattern, it looks as if you actually knit together all of the fingers individually, make the thumbs separately and when you're sewing up the side seam, you leave a space to sew on the thumbs about 2.5 inches from the ribbing.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Everyone is making such pretty things in such pretty yarns! It makes me want to do like six things at once.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Finished a couple of projects this weekend.

A pretty basic cardigan that is knit all in one piece. You don't have to sew any pieces together including the sleeves. I linked to it earlier, but I'll do it again.

I made this one loosely based on a pattern from a book and since I wasn't really following the pattern I wasn't thinking much about sizing. It doesn't fit me or my husband, but I think it turned out okay. Knitting the color pattern made me realize that not all yarns are created equal.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

I'm working on a bag and I'm having an issue. I understand all of the instructions, but somehow the math doesn't seem to be working.

The patterns starts with 175 stitches. Later, I bind off 20 of those stitches leaving me with 155. I am then supposed to increase. "(K4, KFB) to end".

I am taking this to mean that on the fifth stitch I knit the front and the back for an increase of one. When I'm done with this row I am supposed to have 198 stitches. But when I do the math, it only comes out to 186.

What am I doing wrong here? Of 155 there are 31 groups of 5 and on that fifth one I will increase a stitch. So I will increase 31 stitches, yes? Making 186. But I need to increase 43 stitches overall. I feel dumb. Help!

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Ah, thanks. I had looked at the comments from the comments tab but not the comments that past project people had said. I will know to look there in the future.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

ackapoo posted:

I'm starting my first garment (well, soon I hope) and I'm so nervous. I thought my pattern booklet would have arrived from Jimmy Beans Wool by now, but the tracking number is still stuck at "your package just left Reno on 3/9." Here's to hoping it comes soon.

I've never knit a sweater/top/tee/ whatever and I have no idea what to expect. Do any of you have any pointers? I don't want to mess this up :/

Mistakes will be made. Just know that going into it. So far all of my big projects have had something happen. Whether it's a slipped stitch that you don't notice for 20 rows, a color pattern that you managed to switch two colors on or ending up with fewer (or more) stitches than you thought you'd been knitting the whole time.

Mistakes have actually made me a better knitter because I'm learning to deal with them in new ways with new techniques rather than roboticly following the pattern and only learning what the pattern has to teach.

I've also ended up having to go back several rows when the mistake is just too much. So I would say try to be zen about it. It's okay if you mess up. It'll make a great post if nothing else. And be sure to post pictures when you're finished!

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Some of my coworkers were just talking about this festival yesterday. I didn't know that it existed (being new to the Maryland area). It's free to get in and free to park, so they said it's free entertainment. And sometimes it's just nice to walk around and look at the gorgeous wool and handmade things. But they agreed that some of it can be quite expensive.

They have sheepdog trials and other entertaining things. They said that Saturday it is packed and Sunday is still busy but a little less madness when trying to maneuver around. They didn't mention the workshops. One was talking about it from the perspective of just milling about looking at everything and the other from actually having taken sheep to show.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

I just finished this bag. It is far from perfect. I'm planning to give it as a Christmas gift. I hope they don't feel like it's shoddy work. Learning process.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Serenity Dove posted:

Though saying that, i've finally started Vortex Shawl. (Not too difficult a pattern so it makes good TV/Lp watching knitting). I'm using this yarn, Fyberspates Scrumptious Lace in the colour Slate. I wound that bad boy by hand, it took four hours. I have a ball of 2-ply lace yarn the size of my fist. I kind of feel like this one is going to take a long time...

I'm working on that same pattern! It just looks so cool no matter what. It'll be a great Christmas gift.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Veris posted:

I finished knitting the shawl I'm making for my cousin's wedding and my friend modeled for it. Will block later.

Linked for huge.

How long did this take you? I am finding out that knitting with daintier yarn makes progress seem a lot slower. My current project, it seems to me, is taking way longer than it should. And I'm only using fingering weight.

How do you lace people do it?

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

I learned to knit from books and videos so when I was first introduced to continental knitting I skipped it because I just wanted to get the basics down. But as I progressed and decided that knitting was something I liked and wanted to continue doing, I found that colorwork was much easier when you could knit continental as well as English. So doing a basic project that didn't involve much else I decided to just learn it.

And I loved it! So it's my normal way of knitting/purling (I don't get the issues people have with purling) now. So much so that I've neglected English style and I'm pretty clumsy at it. I tried learning to throw early on, but I haven't gotten the hang of it.

What I'm saying, I guess is that everyone should at least try continental. And also, does anyone have any good video/tutorial recommendations for learning to throw in English? I do need to get better.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

two forty posted:

I just realized that I've been knitting my first project in the round on circulars backwards, ie making it inside out. I've used DPNs before, don't know why I didn't catch myself earlier. Luckily it'll turn out fine, but I feel really stupid and it's way to late to turn back now.

Drinking and knitting: not even once.

I did that this weekend on a project. It was a simple project that no one is going to wear or see really so it didn't matter. But it isn't the first time I've done it. I find that I do it when I have to use magic loop. Because I'm so preoccupied with aligning stitches and making sure everything doesn't get twisted that I'm not paying attention to if the needs are in the back of the work on in the front.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

zamiel posted:

Hands down (or feet up?) the best sock pattern for a complete noob is Silver's Sock Class. There are three weight options and she walks you through each step clearly. Here's the Ravelry page, too. edit: it's also one of those recipes where you knit til it fits your measurements.

And of course the page is down right now, gently caress. Hopefully it's not for long.

Also of note there are cuff down, so if you'd rather do toe up, I've never done those so I wouldn't know.

Thank you!

I was looking for something exactly like this to do some Christmas socks. It's like the thread read my mind.

Also, a LYS finally opened up near me (I'd been using Jo Ann's for all my yarn needs) and I think I might go broke very soon. They have such luxurious yarns and open knitting nights. It's two buildings down from where I work. My will power is failing even though my stash is quite big enough. Or at least I thought it was. Just shelves and shelves of hand spun wool (some of it they do on site). http://knothouseyarns.com/

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Currently I prefer magic loop on circulars, but that's what I learned on. I haven't done much with DPNs, but I just get frustrated with them. I think there are various factors with that. I probably need the friction of wooden needles rather than metal ones I currently have. I love my metal circulars, but with two ends for stitches to fall off of, it's too many ends for me to be aware of while I'm trying to make everything work. I need a ton more practice though. My opinion may change when I have the time and I am determined to learn to use them proficiently. So everyone's tips are appreciated.

I'm currently working on a headband with frog eyes for a Halloween costume. I tried DPNs to make the eyes first but gave up. Some day though.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

suddenly cats posted:

Just finished my first fair isle project! I'm pretty drat proud of myself.

It's in the machine on the hand-wash setting right now so I can block it later, but here's a picture of it right when I was starting decreases:

Lovely! DPNs or circulars?

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

^^Wow, but it looks really good. I don't think I'd even know where to start. You are on a whole different level.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

So I finally understand the beauty of blocking. I blocked my first piece today and I have to say that it makes everything so much better. The pattern is this behemoth: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/vortex-shawl It's even bigger than in the picture. I had to fold over some and block it after because there is not enough room for all of the swirling.

Now I can finally start on the small, easy Christmas gifts.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

wodan22 posted:

Awesome. Now I at least know where to look. Any idea what those are actually called? Basically, so I can go to Lowes or Hone Depot tomorrow and be able to ask if they have them.

Yes, home depot. My husband wanted mats for lifting weights so I made him get the foam ones. Two birds, one stone.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Does anyone have any suggestions for tactile-y interesting patterns? I have a great aunt who is almost blind and lives in a home so she doesn't need any more stuff. But she always gives me something for Christmas so I feel obligated.

I was thinking something that she could use or just have that might be nice to feel since she can't see it. Or any other suggestions. I've given her gloves and a blanket before. Was thinking ear warmers maybe this year but I don't know.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

I tried to commit sweater homicide the other day. When I weaved in an end on my sleeve, I apparently picked up a stitch from the back. When I went to block it I found the seemingly extra thread and so I cut it without investigating.

Yeah, this created an ever widening hole in the back of my sweater. I was able to secure the ends and save the integrity of the sweater, but man did I feel stupid.

Anyone else do something similar so I can commiserate?

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

FelicityGS posted:

So the hiya hiya interchangeable steel needles (small) my mother said she'd get me for Christmas/birthday (as mine are right next to each other)?

My mother finally ordered them.

(This means I can finally finish my mother's birthday shawl I've been holding hostage)

Speaking of Hiya Hiya needles, I'm coveting the steel interchangeables. How much of a difference is there between the regular tips and the sharp tips? Anyone know? I don't do much intricate work. At least not right now, but it's always nice to have the option.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

That really is magnificent work. How long did they each take you?

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Went to the Maryland Sheep and Wool festival today. It wasn't outrageously busy. There were so many yarns there. I wanted all of them. The good part is that I didn't buy all of them and become poor. The bad part is that I really, really want to learn how to spin now.

Oh, and because this is the Internet:

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Killer_Frost posted:

Are any of you switch knitters? I knit English style, but have been told that continental is faster. Have any tips for relearning the other way?

I learned English but decided early on that to make stranded knitting easier I wanted to be able to knit Continental as well. Continental ended up being way faster for me. So I would say that it's definitely worth learning. And I watched a video or two and saw how they were holding the yarn. That was about it. Then it's all practice.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Lata jie posted:

What's stranded knitting?

fair isle patterns.

You answered yourself. :)

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

Ah, here is a video of how I purl, though I don't have my index finger sticking up like the lady in the video. It's awesome for doing ribbing. Maybe I'll try to take a video of that.

http://youtu.be/INSdE2UD9GY

Holy moly, I just watched that video and now I think I've been wrapping the yarn backwards when purling. I've never noticed anything weird, it looks fine and when I go back for the next round/row I don't have any issues. So does it matter?

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

That is a backwards purl (I. E. She wraps the yarn the opposite way it is wrapped in a "normal" purl stitch), so if you're doing it the way in the video, and still knitting through the front loop on the reverse knit stitches, then you are making twisted knit stitches.

If you go around the opposite way, that is the usual way, and you knit through the front loop on the reverse to make a normal stitch, or through the back to make a twisted knit stitch.

Thank you for explaining. I understand now. And good to know. I mean, I did just learn through books and videos, so it was very possible that I was doing crazy things without knowing.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Kyth posted:

First knitting project I've actually finished (other than plain scarves and one sock): a cowl for my seven month old. (First time posting a picture to SA from the phone app. Hope I'm doing it right....)

So stinkin' cute.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Does anyone else stop knitting during the summer time? I've been keeping up with the thread, but I just have not picked up my project for months. I'm back at it now though.

And speaking of, I need some help. This is kind of knitting/crochet crossover, but I'm hoping someone will have some advice here. I'm working this pattern http://www.yarnover.net/patterns/doilies/kunststrik/lysedug.html and at the end it says to knit the last round and then start crocheting.

How does one do that? Do I have to take it off the cables first or do it as I go? Is there a good video of how to do this somewhere? My searching isn't working so well.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

amykinz posted:

Thanks to both for your advice and help. I'll definitely post the results.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Thanks again to the posters who helped me with the knit -> crochet pattern requirements. It was super easy. Here's the finished product:

The pattern again: http://www.yarnover.net/patterns/doilies/kunststrik/lysedug.html

Now, a question... This is the second lace project I've done where the final product didn't come out perfectly round where it would lay flat. On the first one I assumed I had screwed up. It wasn't a difficult lace and the number of stitches didn't much matter. But with this one I know I didn't make any mistakes because it would have been obvious pretty freaking fast. So what am I doing wrong?

I'm thinking that this time it might be the crochet loop edgings that make it wider and heavier on the outside. Especially since I pinned it at the points of one of the final designs and it appears pretty even from there. Anyone have any wisdom?

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Safari Disco Lion posted:

That looks like a picot edging? I think they just tend to do that, but if it bugs you then you can try reblocking it and using an iron set low to try and smooth it out a bit more.

Also that is freaking gorgeous, dayumn. What yarn is it?

The yarn is Patons Lace - Bonfire.
I did picot edging for my last lace project so that probably didn't help.

As for this project, after looking through a bazillion comments from the other people on ravelry who have done that edging, what I'm apparently supposed to do is stretch the poo poo out of the edge loops until they stick straight out instead of the loops making extra bulk. Mystery solved.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

jomiel posted:

The rainbow yarn is Araucania Huasco and the black is Knit Picks Stroll Glimmer. The image is clickable and goes to my Ravelry project page, but I forgot to mention that!

I made more gnomes:

Those gnomes are adorable. Do you give them to people as gifts? Also, how long does it take you to make one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Last minute Christmas gift hats:

What are you all knitting for gifts?