Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.
I just started knitting, and I guess right now I'm just making a 15 stitch strip, like a scarf! What else would any of you suggest making just to learn and practice? Do you have any general tips for me? I looked around on a lot of the links that have been posted, but it'd still be nice to get some input from you pro knitters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Thanks for all your tips! I'm going to make this little swatch for a bit until I get bored, then make a potholder or washcloth. I do have a question though.

On this piece, I started with 15 stitches cast-on, and now I have like 19 stitches after about 10 rows. What did I do?

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

I found a little dishcloth pattern to make and the only stitches required are knits and purls, which are perfect because that's really all I know for now. The problem is that when I switch between the two, I sometimes find a weird little X after I've already knit a row. I know that's not very descriptive, but maybe one of you knows what I'm talking about? It's like I crossed the yarn when I wasn't supposed to or something. If I keep knitting like that, I end up with a giant blob around the original X. I pulled the project off the needles out of frustration when I had knit about 5 rows with this gently caress up, or I'd take a picture.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

I was feeling adventurous last night and bought some circular needles and the set of 4 needles with the pointed ends. This pattern I have calls for only 18 co and they recommend circular needles, so how on earth am I supposed to do this with circular needles? I don't even get the "science" behind it.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

elbow posted:

Use magic loop knitting: http://www.knittinghelp.com/apps/flash/video_player/play/14/1

If you haven't made anything with circular needles before, it's really easy, but you might want to watch the videos on this page just to see how it's done: http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/advanced-techniques.

Great custom title by the way :)

drat! I've been going to that website but I didn't see that video. Thank you twice, for the link and compliment! :)