Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I'll trot out my quarterly warning that if you're buying from Walmart (and sometimes Amazon gets this too) you are buying a different product than other retailers stock, even when the brand, product, and lot names/numbers match. I haven't bought from Hobby Lobby in years, but Michaels and Joanne (at least prior to pandemic) had fairly consistent stock in my experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Mad Hamish posted:

Hello, I would just like to brag that on the weekend I completed my third pair of socks and the first pair I felt is actually fit to wear. It took me about two weeks per sock but I'm incredibly happy with them!

Those are pretty cool! Curious what yarn and pattern you used.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

effika posted:

Nice socks! Now that you know the joy of hand knit socks, I bet you'll be making tons! I make a point to do a pair a year, minimum.

To everyone wanting to attempt their first socks, I found these tutorials really helpful. I have the 2 toe up socks on 1 circular needle version memorized!

I was like "who's this Kristin Belle person" until I got to the page.

I feel like Silver's Sock Classes are a rite of passage at this point.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

left_unattended posted:

Seems to depend on how it's been treated. I think what you're looking for is mercerised cotton, it's usually shinier and less rough. I wouldn't call it soft exactly, but it's much nicer against the skin.

Edit: or look for bamboo, linen, rayon etc. And blends of them.

Seconding all this.

There's also weaving thread, which tends to be very light lace weight to fingering weight. I hate cotton and other plant fibers for knitting bc they have no elasticity while I'm working it, and no memory in the garment, but IDK if any of the blends solve some of those problems.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

IME it depends a lot on where you buy it. I've consistently gotten softer lots at Joanne, iirc, but nowhere else.

It definitely will felt, though, it's not superwash. It's worked up softer for me than it feels in the skein too, but I also don't wear it direct on skin. It's a little too itchy for a hat for me.