Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Just finished this hat :) It's a big basic slouchy beret. I'm thinking of putting a giant button on it. Sorry about the crappy camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Micomicona posted:

oo! nice. What pattern/what yarn did you use? That yellow is fabulous, and it's got a really cool sheen to it!

The pattern is Le Slouche(pdf) by Knit and Tonic. It's a super easy pattern that can be changed around and altered for any type of stitch or yarn.

I used Lions Brand Jiffy for it, which is surprisingly soft :3:. It's a much more deeper goldenrod color but it's pretty funky. I'm going to find a big round wooden button for it.

The only thing I'd suggest is stitching some elastic around the bottom of it when you're done so the hat doesn't slide off. It could just be my tiny head though.

Mightnight Sun posted:

Got a Ravelry invite today, and I'm in as Midnattsol.

I'm on Ravelry too as Shnooks! Anyone else on Ravelry?

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Ozma posted:

I'm making it! I'm on the hunt for a hat that doesn't look awful on me. I made that cabled rasta hat from stitch and bitch nation and it looks OK on me but it also makes me look like I'm trying hard to be cool. :(

It's super easy! I really wanted to do a mesh stitch but my yarn was too thick

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Stupid question coming up!

I am knitting these and the ribbing around the wrist is loose. My hands are also super duper tiny.

Do you think it'd be strange if I weaved elastic into there?

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Genpei Turtle posted:

Woo, just finished my first felted project, for a relative's kid who wants a cat, but whose parents are allergic.

I did it with a strand of a wool and a strand of fun fur together. The idea is that the wool felts and the fun fur doesn't, forming a "solid" fabric with the fur coming out. I was worried for a bit since there seemed to be so many gaping holes before felting (it was done with size 11 and 13 needles) but was pleasantly surprised when the felting process just filled all of them up. The thing ended up pretty darn big; it's about 18 inches long from the front of the head to the tip of the tail--almost life-size.

The ears and eyes are a little uneven and fixing mistakes was hellish with that fun fur concealing where one stitch began and one stitch ended, but I'm pretty happy with the way it came out. I'm thinking of maybe finding some fishing line to make whiskers out of before giving it away.

Oh my god, do you have a pattern for this? I WANT TO MAKE A CAT ARMY

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Like everyone else said, cabling looks much harder than it really is. The most difficult thing is reading the patterns (I always gently caress that up).

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
What the hell makes Addi Turbo needles special?

I just got a job at a local yarn store where we have Addi Turbo needles behind the counter. Besides obviously coming in really specific sizes, when I asked the girl why they were behind the counter and what was the big deal she just told me, "I dunno, they knit faster."

I've been knitting for a while now and haven't heard of them...Admittedly, my grandmother left us a pot full of metal needles and I was just given a ton more, so I've really never had to buy any needles.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

The fisrt time I used them I wasa pretty dang impressed. Mostly it was the very smooth join at the needle and cable - and the fact that I didn't have to fight the cable the whole time. I think they were more impressive because I had only been using the Susan Bates needles you can buy at AC Moore. Now I probably prefer the Knitpicks, they have similar quality but are cheaper.

Anyway a good join makes things faster because you don't have to tug on the fabric to get it up to the needle.

Ohhh, that explains a lot...

drat, now I'll have to try some :( I don't work with circulars much but when I do I definitely have that tugging problem.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
If you can get it, try the "Hot Head" pattern from Stitch N' Bitch. I think it uses size 10 needles but you can probably work around it. It's what my mom and I used when we were first starting out, and it's knit flat!

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Ugh, I just finished Knitty's Colonnade and it came out too small. It doesn't look horrible but it sure as hell doesn't keep you warm... :mad:

Edit: Maybe you guys can help. I bought myself a sweater that's knitted, and it's got one button and button hole. I wanted to add another button hole to make it close a bit more. Any suggestions? It's polyester if it makes a difference.

Shnooks fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Nov 24, 2009

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

madlilnerd posted:

Cut it to button size, quarterize with a soldering iron?

Or you could cut the button slot and then use zig-zag stitch on a sewing machine and go round it to seal the edge. It all depends on how chunky the yarn is- stitching might not work on large yarn.

Other than that, you could wear a brooch.

I was thinking of the melting thing...

I like the Brooch idea, though. The yarn is pretty chunky.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I do some needlefelting and wet felting, though I probably know more about wet felting.

And yes, you will stab yourself a lot starting out :<

Wandering Knitter posted:

If it helps I finally found out after doing this for years that Clover sells heavy weight and light weight needles. And here I just thought I kept randomly getting "bad" needles.

So, what's the actual difference between heavy weight and light weight? I saw them and just bought the light weight because I wasn't doing any intense needle felting, but I wasn't sure why I would need a heavier weight.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I'm attempting Christmas gifts this season - A hat and a scarf. You guys are making me nervous :(

Though I can knit up a hat in a day.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
While I was knitting up a hat several times (aughh had to start over...) I was wondering:

How many of you switch hands to knit? I just knit back and forth and never change the position of the needle, so I never see the wrong side. I always have to change my p to k on patterns because of it...

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I'm making an earflap hat with Berocco Vintage Wool and its kind of thin. Has anyone here felted the inside of a hat or something to make it warmer? I've done welt felting and figured I could felt something to stick on the inside.

Thrummed hat? I think I'm going to try that haha.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Genpei Turtle posted:

How would you go about just felting the inside of a hat and not the outside? I'm intrigued, because it might just solve a problem I'm currently dealing with.

I ment making a separate felted piece and either sewing or needle felting it on. Sorry, wasn't clear.

Right now I'm trying the thrumming thing. Lets hope it isnt a failure.

Edit: Yeah I gave up.

Shnooks fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Dec 13, 2009

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

ElScorcho posted:

So I started knitting again after making one baby blanket eight years ago, and I made scarves for my friends for Christmas. I think they turned out really cool, and I can't wait to hand them out!

This scarf is the Cat Paw Scarf that I found on Ravelry.

And here's the Lace Ribbon Scarf that I found on Ravelry as well.

I'm also working on a couple of other scarves, but they're not finished at the moment.

The cat paw scarf is my project after christmas gifts! It's hard to see the pattern at that angle though...

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Dude, I wound my yarn on a winder for the first time last week and my yarn looks awful. It's all hosed up and tangled :(((

Suggestions on how to not do it again?

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

Did you use a swift to hold the yarn up while doing it?

I'm obviously a huge novice but I think even tention and speed is important. Beyond that and getting the first yard or two on right and I think you're golden.

Now watch me prove myself wrong...

Yep, I used a swift. I'm having the most trouble with my Malabrigo yarn. I'm pulling from the center and its just big old globs that are sticking together. It's a pain because every row I have to untie it all.

It's like when I lifted it off of the roller it hosed up.

Wandering Knitter posted:

Yarn could have gotten tangled up in the gears, and sometimes non-wools just don't wind up right.

Everything I wound was mostly wool (Berroco Vintage, Malabrigo Worsted, and Malabrigo Lace Weight). The Lace weight came out the best so I have no clue.

It's really awful and it's so fast but it's ruining all of my yarn :(

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Anne Whateley posted:

It sounds like maybe you're winding too fast. If you crank the poo poo out of it, then yeah, it'll wind up messed up. Have you ever seen one being used, at a LYS or even in a youtube video?

You do have to lift it off pretty carefully, and you also have to be careful where you pull from. I wound a pure silk yarn, and all over the internet there are warnings you can't do a center-pull ball, or you'll wind up with yarn vomit all over the place -- it sounds like that's what's happening with your Malabrigo.

Yeah, that does sound like what's happening :(

Sadly, I WORK at my LYS, which is where I learned how to do it. I used to just do it by hand.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Anne Whateley posted:

Okay, this woman seems pretty retarded, but this is about the speed I would use (e: minus the awkward stopping; you want to keep it fluid). You can mute the video.

For more general tips (but don't watch for speed, these women are blitzing along), this and this both seem sensible.

Oh, those helped A LOT. I don't know why I didn't think of tension. That probably explains why my yarn is all hosed up.

Well, I wont make the mistake again! Thank you :)

Edit: Oh man I love the swift in the last video...

Shnooks fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Dec 27, 2009

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I need some advice!

I knit a pair of mittens about a year ago with debbie bliss baby cashmerino. My hands are pretty small and they came out kind of big and slip around. I was going to just make a smaller lining out of fleece inside of it, but someone at work suggested felting them lightly.

I don't mind felting a bit, but they are colorwork mittens and i'm afraid it would mottle the image.

these are the mittens, for reference.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Awesomonster posted:

I don't have any advice about felting since I know nothing about it, I just wanted to say that goddamn I love these mittens.

Thank you :) The pattern is on Ravelry and was a gift from my boyfriend. It's kind of expensive but I love it!

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/cat-mittens

Edit: Ok, so looking at them again, what seems to happen is they fall off while I'm wearing them. I put elastic around the wrist part and it hasn't helped much. It's just one piece of string elastic, maybe more should be added?

Shnooks fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jan 1, 2010

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I'd love to do a yarn swap, or a GET RID OF MY YARN PLEASE GOD swap, but I have mostly crappy yarn :(

The only thing nice I have is this odd ball or two of washable wool.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Z Is Overrated posted:

I can't quite see if you did, but did you bring the working yarn to the front of your work before trying to purl?

And, if you're like me when I first started, bring it between the needles, not underneath :v: Boy, that confused me later.

Edit: Now that I cleaned out my yarn tub for the yarn swap I have so much space left...

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I just briefly read something about those Namaste bags today in the new vogue knitting. They showed a really nice bag from them I believe.

I never knew there were NOT tacky bags for holding your knitting...Everything we sell at my job (I work at a yarn and button store) is...well, it's not like those bags.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
My yarn is in those flat plastic bins that roll under the bed. As for my needles..

My boyfriend's grandmother gave me this HUGE thing of needles when we moved in together. It's this tubular bag with a handle and a latch to close the top. It's plastic probably but it's covered with some type of fabric. I have no clue what it was originally used for, or if it was meant for knitting needles, but it works. My circular needles are put away with my yarn because they just get tangled with the straight needles.

Usually I throw my projects in a plastic bag or my trader joe's bag. I know it's not super classy, but it works.

One day when I finally want to start quilting, I'll make myself a bag and needle holder. I can't justify buying a needle holder if I can make one - unless it's one of those nice ones that are like mini binders :3:

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Look Under The Rock posted:

Hey, my family goes down to Haiti all the time, so I wanted to throw this out there -- if anyone feels like knitting little squishy stuffed animals to send for kids who have lost everything, PM me and I'll send you information on what to do.

There's a group on Facebook that you can join too -- QuakeBusters (lame, I know) but I thought we could have an awesome SA "Knitting for Haiti" group within a group. I'm trying to help spearhead some more grassroots fundraising and help for Haiti. Join the group and post in the Knitting thread if you're interested!

I posted in the facebook thread because I'd definitely be interested in this. I feel kind of weird that QuakeBusters is organized by a ministry, though...

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I'm the same as most people here it seems - If its a fairly complicated project I don't mind knitting 24/7. I put on a movie or watch some reruns of a TV show and go at it till I'm tired.

Things like scarves are boring as hell for me. Something that could probably take me a week to knit takes me over a month .I just made my roommate a scarf that was Row 1: k1, Row 2: k1,p2 and it took me over a month to finish.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Halp!

At work, on the counter we have a basket full of Malabrigo Baby Lace. So I bought some.

Ravelry doesn't even have baby lace listed. What the hell is the difference between baby lace and regular lace?

I want to make this scarf but I don't want the thread to be so small that it looks like a ton of holes on my size 4 needles.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Scooty Puff Jr. posted:

Fear not, gentle knitter! I bring aid!:

The Malabrigo lace listed on Ravelry is the Malabrigo baby lace, and it is a fingering weight. The "baby" does not refer to the weight, but rather of the age of the Merino sheep from which the wool comes. It comes from baby sheep.
(Which I suppose is much softer?)

Hope this helps.

Yes! This helps! That's what I thought, but then I started knitting and I was like what the hell this is so tiny.

Can you tell I've never knit anything lace before?

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Heres a quick picture of the Marram hat I knit for my boyfriend for Christmas. He loves it! It's a bit long, which is why the brim is turned up.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Fionnoulla posted:

Wow, I love that colorway. What is it please?

Not as if I need more yarn that becomes impossibles to distinguish from the tips of my Harmonies. I believe ALL the yarn I use to make anything other than dishcloths matches my Harmony tips exactly. I like to look at it as a personal challenge when knitting in dim lighting.

It's actually three different colors! This is the pattern for the hat on ravelry, which suggests using 2 but I used 3 instead.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/marram-hat

I don't know the colors exactly - it was 3 skeins of berroco vintage that I didn't use up all the way even.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Dancingthroughlife posted:

:( It would cost me approx. 220 dollar to get enough yardage for the blanket I want to make.

Ok, while we get a LOT of people coming into my job and buying $200 worth of yarn for blankets and beautiful things, most of the people just buy Encore worsted for $5.99.

What's the yarn you were interested in? I know acrylic blows but sometimes some alternatives don't suck so bad :(

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Hansigurumi has a book, too, by the way :)

I bought it at work one day on a whim. I haven't made anything in it yet though.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Suggestions for a knitting or crochet gift for a March birthday?

My mom's birthday is March 26 and I decided I'll knit her something this year. It's just getting warm so scarves and hats are out of the question. My mom is turning 56 or 57 so I don't think a beret is her style anymore...

I was down to socks or shawls because it gets chilly in her office at work, but I'm afraid the shawl might make her feel too old :pwn:

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Fionnoulla posted:

You could do a shawlette that she can wear in the front, like a neckerchief. I finished a Traveling Woman a couple weeks ago and it's really too small for me to wear as a shawl, but MAN I love wearing it in front. I increased the stockinette section a bit (enough for 15 repeats of lace instead of 13) and it's still the perfect size for me. I wear it wrapped around my neck and then I don't need a jacket.

Or try a rectangular wrap-like shawl, like a clapotis or something similar. They seem younger to me.

Jeez, a couple of months ago I made myself a pair of Norwegian house slippers because my old sheepskin slippers were falling apart and the pattern for the slippers was the easiest thing I could find. My mom loved them, so I had to make her a pair. Then last week my husband started whining that I apparently don't love him enough because he doesn't have a pair. So I made him some. His friend was over when I took them out of the washer from felting and he was fascinated by them and tried them on, soaking wet. Then he asked me how much I wanted to make him a pair. I randomly said 20 bucks and he handed me the money. Then yesterday another of my husband's friends came over and handed me a twenty and asked for some too. I'm going to spend the rest of my life making garter stitch slippers for people. San Diego will be filled with people running around in felted elf shoes. I am halfway through an enlarged Booga bag and I was going to start on a bottom-up Birch shawl for myself, but I guess that's on hold for a week or two.

I was thinking that, but I'm not sure if I've ever seen my mom wear scarves? She always gives me her scarves after a few months of not wearing them. I guess if everything fails though a lace scarf it is.

I definitely thought about slippers though. My mom would wear them, but I wasn't sure if she'd want something to show off to everyone, haha :)

Pembroke Fuse posted:

My mom's birthday is at the beginning of March and she'll be turning the :airquote:same age:airquote:. But, since I'm a beginning knitter and winter is basically over where I live, I decided to make something useful. I'm trying to finish a set of 10 simple washcloths from five tiny skeins of cotton yarn. 1.5 done so far! They knit up super fast :)

Pattern: http://knitwithkt.blogspot.com/2007/12/waffle-stitch-washcloth.html

WiP:
The blue one is showing the front; the green one shows the backside.

This is a good idea, too! I didn't even think of this. My mom is a neat freak and if anything she'll use them for cleaning the dog's face :pwn: She loves our dog and only uses the softest towels...

Maybe I'll stick with slippers and wash cloths. Thanks everyone :)

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Midnight Sun posted:

Agh, beaten! But here is the pattern! http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=36456663

Aaaa, someone came into work looking for buttons for a couple of pairs of these! They were so cute!

Except it says its sold out on etsy :(?

Edit: Nevermind Ravelry saves the day!

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Quick! I feel retarded! Someone help!

I'm making the French Press Slippers for my mom I decided, but it says to use 3 strands of yarn for the shoe. I have two skeins of yarn already rolled into cakes...

What's the easiest way to make it into 3 strands without unraveling everything...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Z Is Overrated posted:

Use both ends of one of the cakes?

Didn't think of that :downs:

Thanks