Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asstro Van
Apr 15, 2007

Always check your blind spots before backing that thang up.
I'm a huge newbie with no idea what I'm doing, but I made a hat and scarf!

The scarf is really warm and turned out decently enough, but the hat is a bit small and odd. It was my first time trying a hat and I ended up kind of making it up at I went along. I'm really inept at this point, no idea what yarn I used since it was a labelless thrift store grab, and clueless as to what I should do differently next time. But it was fun and it's finished so :woop:
The knitting help site is great, I'm definitely going to be looking at that to try and figure things out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asstro Van
Apr 15, 2007

Another circular needle fan here! I love being able to space out and just knit around on my newest scarf, without alternating rows knit/purl. So far it's going pretty well, it's my first time changing colors so the stripes are just random whenever I feel like switching. Here's what I've done so far.

I feel a bit guilty though since I'm supposed to be working on one for a friend. I agreed to knit for her if she got the yarn, so she gave me over 700yards of rough bargain yarn. It's so much more fun to play with soft pretty stuff. :(

Asstro Van
Apr 15, 2007

I know there haven't been any replies for over a week, but I'm too drat proud of this guy not to post.

Asstro Van fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Mar 6, 2012

Asstro Van
Apr 15, 2007

Thanks everyone! It really wasn't that hard to do, so it would be great to see a little army form in the thread. :3:

Zaftig posted:

Oh, cute! Where'd you find that pattern? I only have the crocheted version:

I found the pattern on ravelry, if you click the link under the picture you can go from there to the pattern page. If you aren't on ravelry, just try sticking EXTERMIKNIT into google.

Asstro Van
Apr 15, 2007

Aardvarklet posted:

I'm making a black/gray version of him right now! I actually asked about it a page or so back. I'm stuck on the head, though. I'm trying to alternate colors to make the stripes, but I keep ending up with all one color on the outside and the other color on the inside. Any tips?

(FYI: I haven't done much in the way of colorwork yet.)

How are you doing your colorwork? I'm not sure how you're doing it that you'd get one on the outside and one inside. For the rings around the head I just did a normal color join to switch back and forth. Knittinghelp.com is super helpful with pretty much everything, just scroll down to "joining a new color yarn" and watch the duplicate stitch join video.
If you meant the vertical stripes a bit lower, knittinghelp.com saves the day again. Scroll down to "how to knit with two colors at a time" and watch the stranding method video.
I'm not terribly experienced so if someone else has a suggestion, feel free to chime in.

Asstro Van
Apr 15, 2007

Aardvarklet posted:

Ah, yeah, I think it's the stranding stuff that I'm doing wrong. I wasn't sure what to call it to search for tips. Thanks! I will post my Dalek when he's finished.

Did you have any issues with the stuffing showing on yours? My knit seems a touch loose--I'm using size 6 needles with Paton's Classic Wool--but there's no way I'm going to frog it and redo all those bobbles.

I wonder what felting would do to it.

The stuffing shows a bit, mostly down in the purled columns. It's not all that noticable though, so I just let it be. I used size 8 with Lion Brand Homespun, he's really soft and huggable if you ignore all of the evil.

Asstro Van
Apr 15, 2007

I'm bored and don't know what to knit next, so I'm coming to you guys. A friend gave me 185yrds of Lion Brand Homespun in a sort of blue green, and I have no idea what to do with it. Any ideas?

I just finished up a hat for myself, it turned out pretty well. The pattern was super easy, except I had to keep track of how many rows I did of what which is hard on my brain at times.

Asstro Van fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Mar 6, 2012

Asstro Van
Apr 15, 2007

So a million years ago I made this lil beauty, I probably posted it at the time.

Well this is him today.

I just regained custody of him after a rather distressing series of events and I would like to see if I can make him somewhat whole again. Obviously he won't be back to 100%, but I would appreciate any tips on repair. Actual chunks were cut out, not just slits made. I am going to pick up some matching yarn and knit some patches then see about grafting him back together a bit. No real clue what I'm doing, but honestly it's pretty cathartic in any case. Symbolic AF.

Asstro Van
Apr 15, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

I don't think you should make separate patches unless your whole goal is to make it look patched. It's a pain, but I think it'd be better to pick up stitches around the edges and reknit in place. Are you going to empty the stuffing out to work on it? I think it'll need new stuffing anyway if it was dog-chewed.

It wasn't dog-chewed, pieces were cut out. Working it unstuffed is a better idea, I should be able to reuse the stuffing though. Any resources/tips on picking up stitches in this case without unraveling much farther?

Asstro Van
Apr 15, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

It's a pain because people call it different things, from knit darning to Swiss darning to patching in place
(Although if this weren't such a meaningful thing for you, I would just recommend making a new one . . .)

Thank you!!! That is incredibly helpful!

I really appreciate the link. It means way more than just fixing a damaged toy, I am not going to drama dump on the internet but being able to repair this guy really means the world to me right now. :unsmith:

Asstro Van
Apr 15, 2007

Pile of Kittens posted:

Ugh, I'm sorry drama came to visit and hosed with your stuff. That really blows. I'm looking forward to seeing the adorably patched dalek buddy!

REGENERATE

Thanks again Anne Whateley! I'm super jazzed about how it's turning out so far!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asstro Van
Apr 15, 2007

Aw yiss

From dis

To~~

It's not perfect, but I don't give a poo poo. It's awesome and it's mine and drama can suck a dick. Thanks for all of the help!!