Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
I have a few more pictures I'll need to edit this with, but here are some pictures of the hat I made for my friend Aaron.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pvtsprout/2189552585/sizes/o/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pvtsprout/2190340538/sizes/o/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
Just finished this yesterday.

It's "Miralda's Triangular Shawl" from Knitted Lace of Estonia. It normally knits up into a typical triangle shawl shape, but you cast on from the bottom edge of both sides, (normally the bind off edge on a regular triangle shawl, and as you knit the pattern, it closes up the "V" to form a triangle. I re-wrote it to knit in the round from the outside edge to the middle. Into a square. My niece is going to have the best baby blanket ever!

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Ma_NiC posted:

One of these days I'll move beyond scarves and accomplish something like that.
Thank you!

But,
really, it's not that bad. This is all yarn overs, and K2tog and SSK, and such. the pattern changes often enough that it didn't get me bored. Scarves drive me nuts, the same thing FOREVER. I can't finish 'em.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
Last year, for my birthday (in November), my mom got me some Skacel Merino Lace yarn. For Christmas, she got me some more Merino Lace, and a couple of skeins of some really nice alpaca (Araucania Atacama) with "for mom's scarf" written on the labels. So, she got a scarf for her birthday in the end of January. I asked what she wanted this year, and she looked all sheepish and said, "a sweater". She's getting the Stacy Pullover from Big Girl Knits, she just lost a ton of weight, and I wanted to make her something to show it off. I've finished the body, I just have the sleeves to finish before Christmas.

(picture is before I finished the other shoulder)

Yarn is (sigh) Vanna's choice. nice enough for an acrylic, mom gets warm too easy, but it's already starting to pill. I wanted something she would ACTUALLY WEAR, not avoid for fear of felting it.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Firequirks posted:

So what's going on in these two pictures from earlier in the thread? Is threading another piece of yarn through the edge a good solution to block out a straight edge? Is this a good way for me to minimize the amount of metal pins?

My last effort solution will be to buy a pack of plastic paperclips from the dollar store and bend them funny ways to act as plastic pins. :shobon:

I ran a length of some pinkish mercinized (whatever that is,,, shiny cotton, not fuzzy cotton) cotton yarn WAY loving LONGER than the outer perimeter of my blanket, and then pined out the corners of the loop. I stabbed about 6 pins in a star on my bed, and wound one corner of the string loop in that a few times... like tying up a boat, and then pulled the string tight and pinned down the next corner, farther out than I thought I would. Then, i pulled out the opposite side of my square in the same manner, where I thought it should be in the blocking. Then I pulled out the two 'side' sides, to make a square.

That probably made no sense.. so read this too:
http://www.yarnharlot.ca/blog/archives/2005/08/23/walk_around_the_block.html

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Fionnoulla posted:

.....and a pattern for slippers from my mother. I could be wrong, but I'm betting the slipper pattern is so that I can use it to make her some (I'm so not wrong).

Last year I got 2 great knitting books, 2 skeins of Skacel Merino lace in great colors, 2 different sized Addi Lace needles. AND two skeins of really nice alpaca with "FOR A SCARF FOR MOM" written on the labels. Luckily, I had it done in time for her birthday at the end of January. I feel it was a decent "trade".

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
Can you get a picture of the whole thing? that might help us know what is going on. This is like knitting CSI... :-)

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
I spin. I have a butterflygirl spindle (from etsy), another really nice spindle, and one I made myself. Once I get a few more important chores out of the way, I'll be building my spinning wheel!

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Look Under The Rock posted:

I want to make something nice, preferably something I could actually wear. That might be asking too much because I'm incredibly hard to fit.

Busty girl sweater patterns, anyone? I don't want to knit something that'll end up looking like a sack.

Bombshell is great for big tatas, and looks pretty easy to knit up as well. It's also short sleeved, so it won't take too long!

The Stacy Pullover is pretty easy as well, and looks great if you have big boobs, but a smaller waist.

Both of these are in the book "Big Girl Knits", which also gives you great advice on fitting, and how to make other patterns fit your body.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Micomicona posted:

I personally hate craftster for pretty much those same reasons; someone could post a piece of poo wrapped in red heart yarn and people would say stuff like "how creative!" "what a nice poo!" "thanks for sharing!"

I actually had a post deleted from craftster quite a while ago. I had posed the story of my ex's sister, who had cheated on her husband, gotten pregnant, and was now living with us, while posting naked pics to 'hot longhair' sites and trying to sleep with any has been '80's rocker she could. She had dug through my yarn stash without asking, pulled out some yarn, and basically demanded a baby blanket. (I had planned to make the baby a blanket anyways, but I hadn't gotten the yarn yet, and it was supposed to be a surprise, not a request.) I finished the post asking something like, "so, what's a simple, fast baby blanked to make for someone's bastard offspring?"... and got a bunch of mommybloggers whining about "every baby is precious, how can you call a baby a bastard?" and got reported. The mod response was "well, you might need to work on your family dynamics, and that's something we can't help you with."

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
Wish me luck people, I will probably die of stress by what I have tasked myself with. By May 29th, I NEED to have:

A Crown Prince Shawl

(Only in purple, with beads, for my wedding shawl)

Frost Flowers and Leaves

(in worsted weight cotton on size 11's for our wedding canopy)

AND, if I have the time, 2 shrugs for my bridesmaids, short sleeves. I'm about a quarter done on the crown prince shawl (not counting borders), and I've swatched for the Frost Flowers Canopy.

Have I gone insane?

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Look Under The Rock posted:

Does anyone know of any programs that send handknits overseas to needy people?

Afghans For Afghans (Afghanistan)
Dulaan Project (Mongolia)
Big List Here
Another Big List

Not all of these are overseas charities, some are local (USA).

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
My fiance knows to wait until I'm done with a row, and not to touch or move anything I'm working on. I only had to point out once that my needles were the same size as his pupils.

EDIT: but he also knows what goes into knitting now. He'll walk by and ask, "oh, you're purling now?".

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Genpei Turtle posted:

Well, at least I know I'm not the only one!

My ex-girlfriend would like to attempt to "help out" on my knitting projects when I wasn't watching. Problem is, she didn't really know how to knit.

I taught my sister to knit (a debbie bliss baby sweater :3: ) when Sister was on bedrest for six weeks before having my niece. Her former friend/roommate (jerk) picked up and knit on the baby sweater when Sister wasn't in the room.. MORE THAN ONCE On the only thing Sister has ever knit, for her unborn and potentially threatened child. (Sister was a very high risk pregnancy, and she lost the baby before this one)

Like Sister left it near the couch, and she'd come back to five or six rows of twisted stitches because Jerk evidently knit combined without knowing it. Once asked not to touch the drat knitting, Jerk got defensive and countered that because I was working on parts of the sweater, (fixing mistakes made by a new knitter, when requested)she was more than obligated to knit on it as well, it was her RIGHT. My sister ended up having to hide the knitting when she was asleep, because Jerk would still try to work on it, and I'd have to come over and fix it.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
21 days till the wedding, and I've finished the main body of the Crown Prince Shawl!

(better pictures to follow, I promise)

I am not knitting the canopy now, we've moved the wedding location, but I am working on a veil. Yeah.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
Beaded Crown Prince Shawl updated with more pictures!

Click here for Ravelry!

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
Finally got off my lazy rear end and posted pictures of my wedding shawl and veil to my ravelry. (it's only a month and a half since the wedding....)

I finished both in time for the wedding, the veil was done the MORNING BEFORE the wedding. I ended up not making the canopy, because we moved the wedding inside.

Pictures of both are on ravelry. I don't know if I'll ever finish the edgings for the shawl, because casting on like six billion stitches is a serious pain in the rear end.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

madlilnerd posted:

Amykinz, I can't get enough of your lacework, so gossamer and pretty like an artist spiderlady made it...

Holy cow, that's the best compliment I've ever gotten about my knitting, now I feel all dainty and poo poo.

thanks!

(as soon as I get one, I'll post a pic of the veil being worn)

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

IT HAS BEGUN

(seriously, my husband had to restrain me from trying to spin in the front seat of our classic beetle on the way home)

(squeeee :neckbeard:)

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
the wheel is an Ashford Traveller, and I totally lucked on and found a lady selling it on craigslist for $50! I don't think she remembered what she paid for it...

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Gently Used Coat posted:

I'm pretty excited about it, but I don't spin well enough to know the difference between good and not as good roving.

Speaking of, there's a bunch of spinners or people interested in spinning here, right? Maybe someone could start a thread on it?

I went ahead and did it...

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Spiteful posted:

I also suppose i'll need to go down a needle size or something to make sure my knitting has SUPER TENSION so the stuffing doesn't show through?

You'd want a good, tightly spun yarn too. Once the kid starts teething, they'll chew on ANYTHING (my niece likes tape measures and remote controls) and the tighter the knitting and the yarn, the less likely they're going to chew the fuzz outta the yarn.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
Does anyone know of a decent quality, not-expensive, fingering/sport weight yarn?

I'm planning for making my mom's yearly sweater, and I want to use some sort of subtle handpainted or tweedy yarn, but everything I look at is either hellaciously expensive, or in ugly colors (and hellaciously expensive). Shipping to the US, I'd like either wool, or a wool blend. I need somewhere around 2000 yards, too. :(

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Phishi posted:

Have you checked out KnitPicks?

Oooh! Thanks!

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
I've started Leaving for my mom, hopefully done by January 21, her birthday. A whole cardigan in less than two months, on SIZE 4'S. While doing a major house remodeling project. Why do I do this to myself? :downs:

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

zamiel posted:

Or maybe you have an affordable, easy care, perhaps cotton based, bulky yarn that's baby friendly that you'd recommend?

I've used Bendigo Woolen Mills classic 3-ply yarn. It's superwash, and they have different thicknesses, up to 8 and possibly 12 ply. They also have cotton yarns. Price is great, shipping is a little bad, but if you order yarn for a couple projects it's still cheaper than a lot of other places.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
Finally finished all of my stupid knits for the holidays. I started a baby sweater to be finished in september, just finished it today.

Ali's Sweater by pvtsprout, on Flickr
(luckily I made it too big on purpose so it would still fit her)

Finished my Mom's annual birthday sweater in february (her birthday is in January)

CIMG0084 by pvtsprout, on Flickr

And did a mohair lace scarf for my sister, even though it threw my mom's sweater off by a couple of weeks.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Sitrus posted:

Does anyone have any idea on how to make the nupps easier to do?

When you're doing endless "K1, YO", MAKE THEM LOOSE. Crazy loose. Loose enough to put both needles through with wiggle room. I usually make a big rear end knit stitch, then hold it with my thumb while I do the YO, then I put the left needle through all the stitches in the nupp once the 'set up' is done, and even them all out, so they are the same length. You'll think it looks sloppy until you purl those fifty million stitches together in one go.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Already Bored posted:

I know this isn't directly related to knitting, but I was hoping someone would have a superior knowledge of fabrics than I.

was it kinda itchy and scratchy and smell like straw or rope?

if so, burlap or sackcloth

if not, look at embroidery cloth?

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
I'm brainstorming an idea, and I'm gonna run it by you guys before I start asking friends. I'm 6 months pregnant now, and soon I will be unable to work at my job, and will have to be home. We can make do with my husband's income during that time, but any money I can bring in would help. I want to start teaching knitting lessons. There are NO yarn stores in a 45 minute drive of me in any direction, and the only stores offering classes are JoAnn's and Michael's.

I'm thinking either single person classes or small groups, a single cost (probably like $40-$50) for a pattern, yarn, and probably 2 months of weekly classes. The "student" would pick a project when the 'class' started like a hat, bag, or baby sweater or something else small, and the first class would cover knitting basics. Then gauge swatch and so on, until at the end of two months you get a finished object! I'd offer mistake repairs and extra help, stuff like that.

My background: I've been knitting for 22 years now, and I've posted some of my finished objects in this thread.

Would any of you take up this offer if faced with it in real life? Recommend it to friends/family?

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

rear end Crackers! posted:

I just ordered this for myself but I've never knit anything that wasn't a solid color. Part of me wants to tackle it immediately after it arrives, and part of me says I should try easier projects first. (I honestly have no idea how hard this will be, I've got the basics down though so what could go wrong? :v:)

That is super pretty, but they keep calling it fair isle and it's making me all twitchy. If you have the basics of intarsia down, just go for it and take your time!

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
intarsia is super easy in the way that if you boil it down, lace is just yarn-overs and K2tog's. You're just knitting, and every once in a while you switch colors. Just remember to twist the two yarns when you switch to another color, and watch your tension. Keep an eye on your chart, and highlight as you go, so you don't have to do the "gently caress me, I had to switch fifteen stitches ago" route. ALWAYS BLOCK. It will look like lumpy wrinkled crap before you block it out.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
I've never done colorwork in acrylic, so I don't know how that would work out, but I'm sure it's been done! I'd try to 'block' it out a bit just to even the stitches though.

When I've done intarsia before, I cut pieces off the ball for each color I was using at the time, about 2-3 feet long, and just let them hang out the back. Any time I tried bobbins or using the yarn off the balls or whatever I ended up with a tangled rear end mess, as you're constantly twisting different yarns together. With the long strands, I could just "comb" my fingers through to untangle every once in a while.

As I got to the ends, I'd "knit" them into the back like twisted floats with the new piece of yarn. Each time I'd finish using a color, I'd knit the ends in. (if you don't understand what I mean, I'd take the last few inches of a piece of yarn and between each stitch for five or six stitches I'd twist the end with the working yarn at the back of the piece, effectively weaving it in for me) I didn't have to weave in anything once it was done. It was glorious.

(my last bit of intarsia work, for reference http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Amykinz/aarons-arrrgyle-hat)

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

rear end Crackers! posted:

That sounds amazing, I think I'll just do that. What did you end up doing for the beginning of a strand? Same thing?

Exactly. Once I got about 4-5 inches left on a strand, (or five stitches from where a new color would start), I'd take the new strand and start weaving that in so it would be ready when I needed it. If this was the end of the other piece, I'd start weaving it in on the first stitch of actually using the new strand as the 'knitting' yarn. If the new color section is only a stitch or two wide, I'd just float the weaving-in strand up to the next row on the way back so it could get woven in for more than a couple stitches.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
Finished a thing for the upcoming baby
(This is easier than reloading pictures to show up here, but if you can't see it, let me know and I'll load them here)

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
The one I posted was really easy, but "easy" depends on if you think picking up stitches is hard, or sewing seams is hard, or whatever. There are several baby sweaters with practically no seaming, or a yolk-style cardigan like I did, where you just have to sew the sleeves, I'd suggest something like that. Elizabeth Zimmerman's February Baby Sweater is a good one that has some lace to it. The Ribbed Baby Jacket is super cute, but you have to sew seams and pick up stitches for the collar.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Wandering Knitter posted:

So after attempting what must have been every bunny patter on etsy I've decided to make my pregnant friend this bunny blanket for her baby girl.

I showed my Mom the pattern and she asked if I was getting the baby a real gift as well.

:smithicide:

That is adorable, my 2 year old niece STILL has one of those that someone BOUGHT for her baby shower and she drags it everywhere, and I'd squeal like an idiot if someone made me one for my baby. In short, and no offense to you, gently caress your mother.

In other news, I should probably work on finishing MY baby's blanket, because babies aren't born until their blankets are done right? At this rate, I'll be pregnant till July... (Due in December)

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
I thought I was trucking right along on my baby blanket, and I forgot half the yarn overs and K2TOG's in the last row. Soooo, now I'm knitting up to the offending area (every 5 drat stitches), dropping just those stitches down two rows, making the yarn overs and decreases, and then knitting them back up. It is pissing me off, and I'm not going to have drat errors in my baby's blanket... but I haven't touched the stupid thing all day and she is DUE in three weeks.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Sodium Chloride posted:

:sigh: Shoulder doesn't match up and I should've seen the problem coming. I think it's an error with the pattern although no one who's done this pattern has complained about it.

The solution is fairly easy but requires frogging :suicide:

Not to imply anything, but are you sure you have the "right sides" facing out on both of those pieces?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

HeatherChandler posted:

Addicted to lace:

Wooooo-eee that's pretty! What pattern is that?