Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yuk_mistress
May 11, 2007

EEEK!! I'll have to take pics of my stuff when done!
I asked santa for a knitting starter kit, and he came through for me!
I'm currently in the middle of 2 scarves, first projects ever! I started one about a week ago, then found the coolest fat yarn so I got some fat bamboo needles and started knitting. Can we ask questions here too? I'd love some newbie advice please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yuk_mistress
May 11, 2007

Google Embryo posted:

This is my winter scarf. Basic feather and fan stitch.

This is lovely. How did you get the border on that. I'm almost done with a scarf (my first project yippie) and I'm using 3 different skeins, basically using different yarn every 2 rows, and the edge where the yarn runs up the side is sloppy, I was thinking of crocheting an edge but then I have a "right side" and a "wrong side". I think I'm ok with that, I just want a clean finished piece.

yuk_mistress
May 11, 2007

Wait what! People SPIN! Hot drat.. Looks less like I picked up a hobby and more like I picked up a lifestyle! It seems like I've stopped daydreaming about my SO and now daydream about knitting... and I've only been at it a couple of weeks. One of my closest friends just told me she's 5 weeks pregnant. This means I have to make TWO blankies (she already has a 7 yr old son... Don't wanna make something for the baby without making something for him. maybe an afghan with roller skates.. (both mom and dad are in roller derby.) I don't think I'll buy a gift ever again!
I'll post pics of the projects I'm currently working on, can't wait to share!

yuk_mistress
May 11, 2007

Does anybody know how to scale down a project?
I want to knit a baby blanket for a friend, but I don't know if I'm capable of the pattern, I want to do a test swatch but don't know how much to cast on. Is it as easy as counting the stitches in the pattern to figure it out?

yuk_mistress
May 11, 2007

Got my ravelry invite as well In as yukmistress. I've already picked a project!! I'm making a needle case, super easy and right up my alley. I bought this awesome looking but horrible feeling yarn, It had a pic of Vanna White on the cover, I shoulda known better. I'm just excited that I get to use it for something I don't have to wear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yuk_mistress
May 11, 2007

Pickle Pie posted:

I had to keep track of how many rows I did of what which is hard on my brain at times.

Let me be your savior! pick up one of these

I got mine at Michaels for about $7.00 or you can just order it here:
http://www.yarnmarket.com/yarn/Tools-Kacha_Kacha_Row_Counter_336-545.html
They are right it does make a satisfying clicking sound. The only downside is that it only counts to 99. On the plus side, it's easy to remember which side of 100 you are on. If not you can get one of those hardcore clicker counters

LESS THAN THREE DOLLARS AT AMAZON!!
http://www.amazon.com/Counter-Hand-Held-Finger-Clicker-Counters/dp/B001KWW4O2