Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Argh. I have four projects on the needles right now, but no motivation to finish any of them. I totally burned myself out knitting gifts for Christmas.. and didn't take very good pictures of any of them so I can't show them off very well. I do have a Ravelry account, though, ever since I saw a friend using it the other day. I use the same nick there that I do.. everywhere.

Here's some random poo poo I knit over the holidays:

Finished projects by Mizufusion, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Earlier tonight, I bought a bag of random knit and crochet supplies at a thrift store down the street. For 70 cents, I got a pair of US3 aluminum needles, a cable needle (yay, I really needed one!) a couple random plastic double pointed needles (looks like US10 and US3, one each), a couple crochet hooks, and some old yarn holder.. thingies. The 10 needle is cool, 'cause I only had one single point 10, and I didn't have any crochet hooks, so that's cool. I seriously do not need anymore US3 needles, though. This makes 3 pairs.

Is there some sort of goony craft supply/tool exchange going on? Would anyone be interested in starting one if there isn't? I have some other mismatched needles I'd be willing to part with, and a couple balls/skeins of yarn.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Sweet! Most of what I have to offer are single needles, but hey, maybe someone needs just one. Right now I have:

US8; 14" single plastic needle. Stamped "Berkalin" (White with black cap)
US6; 14" single plastic needle. Stamped "Chester" (White with red cap)
US4; 14" single plastic needle. Stamped "Boye" (Green with metal cap)
US3; 10" single plastic needle. Stamped "Chester" (White with metal cap)
US3; 10" single plastic needle. Stamped "Boye" (Green with metal cap) Not pictured because I can't find it right now, but dammit, I will eventually!
US3; 10" pair metal needles. Stamped "Boye", Some rust on the caps, but otherwise look alright (Green with metal cap)
US2; 14" single plastic needle. Unmarked, unsure of the size, but it's smaller than a US3. (Tan solid)

I also have a few Boye and Susan Bates yarn holders/bobbins. I haven't the faintest idea what to use them for. Maybe another goon can enlighten me and makes some use of them!

I'll edit this post if I come across anything else, and I'll add pictures later. My camera battery chose to die after taking one shot.

EDIT: Pictures!

As you can see, none of these are in spectacular shape, but hey, they work. I'm not really looking for anything in exchange, unless someone has some 10s or 11s they'll part with. Other than that, if there's something you want, it's yours! Provided you can pay for shipping, 'cause I'm pretty much broke.

Click here for the full 1800x1354 image.

Click here for the full 2048x1541 image.

Yarn bobbin things:

Click here for the full 1600x1204 image.

The ones on the left are Susan bates. One of the red ones is slightly chipped. The other ones are Boye and are slightly warped but otherwise fine.

Bees on Wheat fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 28, 2011

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Windy posted:

Argh! If your US6 was metal I'd trade you something for it. It's the last single I have that needs a match.

Aw, sorry. I'll keep my eyes out for any 6s next time I hit up that store; they seem to get them frequently. They used to have a whole can of needles for $1 each, but they were all mismatched and I couldn't justify buying them all at that price. Though.. if I had thought about it, I probably could have bought them and made a killing reselling that poo poo on Etsy.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

Right now I'm knitting a snail though:

I put beads in. :3:

Oh god, want.

The thrift store gods have been good to me lately. Found a pepto-pink US15 single needle, tiny crochet hook (8?) for 25c each, and a whole box of tapestry wool for $1. I'm not sure what to do with it yet, but I was thinking of maybe doing an awful Dr. Who-style scarf..

The dollar store down the street also has aluminum crochet hooks in a million sizes and colors. Maybe I'll pick up crochet just as an excuse to buy some..

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Isis Q. Dylan posted:

I apologize if this has been posted before in this thread and I missed it, but what was eveyone's first project on circular needles? I'm about 2 months in and I've got most stitches down. I've only made things on straight needles so far and I want to try something simple on circular needles that isnt a pixie hat or a scarf.

I just started a floppy, fluffy cloche-kinda hat. It has a big wavy brim and it's the most obnoxious eyelash yarn ever.. It's mostly so I can get the hang of circulars and DPNs, except I don't own any DPNs and have to borrow some from a friend..

I also totally improvised the pattern so I hope it doesn't turn out totally crappy.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
So the hat I was improvising turned out totally crappy. I was knitting it for a friend's daughter and miscalculated the number of stitches in each round.. So I took some pictures of it on my stuffed frog before frogging it.

Mr. Croakums is not pleased about this photo. (Flickr hosting because Waffle is being totally broken right now..)

Right now I'm trying something completely different and making a beret following this recipe. I am eternally grateful for everyone that mentioned magic loop, because that method made this project possible. I only own one circular, and all my dpns are mismatched, so knitting small items in the round was pretty impossible until now.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
My blog is also very generalized. I want to make it into a craft/cooking blog, but I don't document my processes very well, and when it's time to write I just sort of drool on the page. I post very infrequently, ramble on about nothing terribly particular, and sometimes blaspheme intensely. All at http://www.mizufusion.com !

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

FelicityGS posted:

Peepifixition! So you can find those really bad taste chocolate crosses where you are too? I've bought them once or twice just to prove to people they exist.

Yes. I'm in California, if that matters to anyone.. and Peepus is still in the fridge, freezing his tail off for your sins. We did eat a couple Roman soldiers today, and most of the cupcakes have disappeared. They were really good cupcakes.

ih8ualot posted:

I still have to knit in all of the loose ends, but my blanket is (almost) done!

The design is a perfect square dissection. My cat loves it and is quickly ruining it with her hair.

Want. This. I think I know what I'm going to do with all my scrap yarn now.. or maybe a golden rectangle. Pardon me while I squeal like a geek. :neckbeard:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I have some really hideously ugly orange yarn in my possession, sorta chunky. It used to be a scarf but I just frogged it, because my rear end in a top hat former roommate didn't want it anymore. I knit it for him last Christmas, and he wore it twice before he kicked me out and gave it back. I want to knit something spiteful out of it, but don't have a lot of ideas other than a big intarsia gently caress YOU with some awful contrasting color. So far this is my favorite idea, but I've never done intarsia before and all my needles are either a bit too big or too small to get the guage I want.

Any ideas?

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
My intarsia gently caress YOU scarf is looking alright so far (and by that I mean TERRIBLE).

However, it's being put on hold so I can knit Jayne Cobb hats for myself and MY BOYFRIEND. I'm using a modified version of this pattern (Ravelry link), because my friend Sam printed it out and handed it to me as soon as I mentioned wanting to make the hat. Unfortunately, the boy has a giant melon head and the first hat I tried making didn't fit because I miscalculated.. but that's okay because it fits me just fine. :3: (By the way, if your gauge is close to 4 sti instead of 3, you need to cast on about 70 stitches for a small/medium hat :toot: )

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Picture time! Here's the (intentionally) awful intarsia I'm working on. It's made of cheap acrylic, and two different chunky yarns. The blue portion isn't even the same shade of blue all over.

Mr. Croakums modelling my unfinished Jayne hat, with a second one on the needles. Pardon his vacant expression; he's a little hungover because my friends took him to a goth club last night and gave him whiskey sours. (I wish I was kidding. They really did take the frog to a club while I was out with MY BOYFRIEND. I came home and there was a picture of the frog sitting in the DJ booth, wearing my hat, with a drink next to him.)

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Genpei Turtle posted:

You're...not knitting a swear word into that scarf, are you? It's just my vulgar mind playing tricks on me, right?

Yes, I am. And now that I've finished the cunning hats for me and the boyfriend, I might finish this!

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Lately, I have had an insane desire to knit socks. I've never made socks, and I usually hate working with small needles, but I feel like I need to make some. My friend Sam loves to knit socks, and all the pattern sites I browse have sock patterns. There's just a couple things stopping me.. and it's mostly that I'm broke. I managed to score a set of metal size 3 DPNs for free (just waiting for them to get here!) but I still need yarn. Sigh.

In the meantime, I have many, many projects I need to finish, and I just cast on this to use up some really ugly, awful-textured yarn I had sitting around. My yarn is a lot thinner, so my gauge is about half of what they call for, but I'm sure it will still look awesome and creepy. Just smaller.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I made a thing and it is terrible. This seems to be a theme with me.

I showed it to some friends and several of them want one, so I guess it's not all bad! :shobon: Pattern is from The AntiCraft, if any of you sick fucks were wondering.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

FelicityGS posted:

It looks like a baby xenomorph, and I have a friend who would want one. That or a shrimp. (I think shrimp are kind of freaky looking pre shelling)

Yeah, the yarn I had on hand was some terrible old acrylic, and it ended up not looking much like the pictures. I actually had to do a bit of sewing to get it like that, because it originally looked like a crescent thing with weird tails. I might try again with some bulkier yarn, and try selling them to friends or on Etsy.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I want all of your ugly novelty yarns so bad. I have lots of ugly wool and sock yarn I could be sending to Wandering Knitter right now oh god oh god. Must take and post pictures tomorrow.

I've been using up my collection of ugly yarn and remnants from other projects to make hats. Ugly, ugly hats. They're for sale if, for some reason, you really like these terrible things.

All of them with one of my Jayne Cobb hats, lookin' ugly together:

I also seem to be a Jayne Cobb baby hat knitting fiend, or something. Started listing them on Etsy as "made to order" last week, and I've already sold three. Kind of makes me wish I'd done this sooner.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Wandering Knitter posted:

On that note, does anyone have a Jayne Cobb pattern that uses worsted weight yarn instead of bulky? I can only find ones for bulky.

take my yarn mizufusion

I just sort of improvised a pattern, because I was using US9 needles and the pattern I had called for 10 or 11. Pretty easy to do if you know your gauge and can figure out how many stitches to cast on. After that you just knit a few rows of ribbing, then 3-4" in stockinette, switch to yellow, knit a few more inches, then work your decreases. I attached my earflaps by picking up the purl bumps inside the hat and knitting from them.

I will take your yarn soon wandering knitter

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

That being the said I like these fingerless gloves. Though all of those small buttons seem to be begging to get snagged on something. :ohdear:

Oh hell. I saw the pictures and fell in love with those mitts. I even have a bunch of partial skeins of sock wool I've been hoarding. Then I looked at the pattern and said "gently caress that". It looks way too complicated and tedious for my tiny-needle hating brain. The smallest needles I have are size 3, anyway. :(

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

I was half tempted to buy it myself (when they had some in stock) but I've been burned so many times on "It can be used to make scarves AND NOTHING ELSE" yarn. See the yarn swap thread in SA-Mart for more details. :smithicide:

Which seems to be going nowhere. But I still want your yarn. I don't have anything terribly interesting to offer, but I can pay you for shipping. Either IM me or send a convo on Etsy if you want to work something out.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Sure, but some of the stuffing might shift and settle. It's usually better to surface wash stuffed toys, or if you can, wash it before stuffing it.

And now I'm all excited to get Wandering Knitter's yarn and a wizard statue! :woop:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
This has been a great week for knitting supplies. Today I got a big box of fuzzy yarn from Wandering Knitter, and yesterday I got a bunch of knitting needles from a Listia auction! I seem to have a million size 3 needles now, though. I already had 3 pairs and dpns, now I have 2.5 more pairs and some mismatched dpns. If anyone needs US3 needles, I have them. You can have some too, for the cost of shipping! I also have many other (mostly single) needles that I don't need.

Now, if only I could stop knitting these damned Jayne Cobb hats for the internet and work on something I actually want to..

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I think I am coming to terms with the pile of pompom yarn I acquired. It's still obnoxious because you have to carefully knit between each pom, and it's physically impossible to bind off loosely, but I can work with it. Except that it looks awful in garter stitch, is nigh impossible to purl because the stitches jump off the needles, and the backside of a stockinette look absolutely awful. I'm now looking for things to do with it that can be knit in the round. So far I've made a pillow case that is simultaneously comfortable and discomforting.. :smith:

(Frog shown to display the appropriate emotional response one has to this pillow.)

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

CureMinorWounds posted:

Edit: Starting to understand after staring for a while, but I noticed on the stitch key for the chart, the first cable says to sl 3 sts, then to k2, p1 and k2 from cable needle. Wouldn't that leave one stitch on the cable needle? What am I missing.

Nah, this one makes sense after working on this DNA scarf for a bit (that one has a lot of weird asymmetrical cable stitches). You're just working with an odd number of stitches here. Three of them are held on the cable needle, the next two are knitted. Then the stitches on the cable needle are worked--the first one purled, the second two knit. Picture it like two cables, each two stitches wide, with a purl in the middle. :3:

You can try translating the chart, but it might not make it any easier. A friend of mine has terrible difficulty working with charts, so she translated one for a lace pattern. She had to frog her project and edit the chart several times due to typos and whatnot. :ohdear:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I have a bunch of orange yarn, but it's terrible 70s acrylic.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Pookah posted:

I'm sure this has been answered a thousand times before, but dammit, it's a long thread :mad:

What's the best place you guys have found for buying yarn online for a reasonable price?

I want to make the norwegian felted slippers for christmas prezzies but am finding it difficult to get 100% wool yarn that is not superwash (and the wool I have come across is upwards of 7 euro a ball :(

I'm looking for some decently priced wool, too. I'm making my boyfriend a hat and want to try nalbinding, but the technique requires you to pull the entire working yarn through each stitch, so you need to use shorter yarns that can be spliced together. Single-ply wool seems to be a good choice, but I don't have any in the right colors.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Agh! Choice paralysis! Thank you for all your suggestions.. I'm probably going to head to Michael's or Joann sometime this week and start there since I'm impatient and want my yarn NOW. One brand I was thinking of is Lamb's Pride by Brown Sheep. I have a couple small balls of it that a friend destashed on me, and I really like the feel of it. I'm working on some swatches right now to see if it's going to be too bulky or not.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Captain Stinkybutt posted:

Just keep in mind that Lamb's Pride can shed a lot and some people find it really itchy. Mostly that it sheds a lot because of the mohair, though. Also the chick who taught me how to knit would endlessly bitch about how itchy it was and how she could never wear it as a garment and it was only good for felting. Of course this is all opinion but I could see how some people may think that!

However, I will personally attest to it felting incredibly well.

Hm, good to know. I did have to stop for a bit because it was irritating the pad of my thumb a little. It has about the right thickness though, and I was able to pick up the Oslo stitch pretty quickly.. except as I worked it, my tension got tighter and the sample I'm making got wonky. I have enough remnants left to make a hat, but after a few rows it got too tight. I think I accidentally decreased a couple stitches too, because sometimes it's hard to tell what to pick up. If it wasn't invented first, I'd say nalbinding is the bastard child of knit and crochet.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

How in the ever loving gently caress do I knit with pom pom yarn because my poo poo is going retarded every time I try to increase. And I can't not do a kfb because frankly there are no bars to pick up. ARRRRGH

stupid baby blanket

Oh god, I hate that about pompom yarn. I got a ton from Wandering Knitter and so far have only managed to make rectangles with it.

I did see a cute pattern in a knitting magazine that uses it with other yarns, though. If you're interested I can send you the pattern, or it's available to purchase on Rav: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/bobble-blanket

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Oh man, that looks squishy and amazing. I used some of my pompom yarn to make a little throw pillow and it's awesome as gently caress.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Ok I completed the Squishiest Blanket but who here can tell me a good way to weave in the yarn (because frankly you can't really weave it)? The only recommendation I have so far is to stitch the yarn to itself with a needle and thread, which I'm prepared to do but I'm wondering if there's any other way. Thanks!

When I made my pillow I was able to weave the ends in, making sure the pompoms sit between stitches, just like when you're knitting with it. I don't know if I can explain better than that.. v:shobon:v

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Seems a lot easier when you have a side to hide it on. Since it's in rows on both sides I'm afraid that'd stick out like crazy. :(

I used two skeins for my pillow, and yes, the ends stick out a bit on the inside, but other than that it's not noticeable. In your pattern it looks like there's a tassel on the corners; is there enough yarn left for something like that? If you make a tassel with the yarn tails you won't have to worry about weaving them in because they're decorative! :downs:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

madlilnerd posted:

One must always obey the knitting superstitions:

-it's bad luck to end your session leaving the first row of your next session as a purl row.

poo poo, this must be why my shawl got so hosed up, when I was so close to being done.. every other knit row is in pattern, and the yarn is a bit fuzzy, so I always stop on a knit row. That way, when I pick it up, it's really easy to tell what the next knit row should be. If I'm purling normal knit stitches, my next knit row will be lacy.

I only had about four rows left and somehow lost a stitch.. and after 20 minutes of trying to figure out where, I found it at the end of a row. About 5 rows down. It fell off the end of the needle, I guess, and trying to fix it without frogging those rows was awful. I ended up ripping them out, and somehow picked up an extra stitch while getting everything back on the needles. Haven't touched it since.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Operating Rod posted:

She mentioned something about a tool (?) that helps take a skein of yarn and makes it easier to work with, and having helped her ball yarn by hand I can see where that would kick rear end. What are those and where can I get one?

My friend Sam has this one and really likes it: http://www.knitpicks.com/accessories/Knitting_Yarn_Ball_Winder__D80583.html

As soon as it and the swift arrived she started turning her entire stash into yarn balls. :3: That's the only one I've ever used though, so I'm not sure if there are better devices out there.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

FelicityGS posted:

While this is no help, I thought you were talking about these crazy german doily/lace things for a moment.

Then I realized you meant the thing with the one needle that takes forever. Doesn't one of the other goons here do that, or has done it?

Yeah, I picked it up a couple months ago.. haven't done anything interesting with it, though. There's a group of nalbinders on Ravelry that can help you get started here: http://www.ravelry.com/groups/nalbinders-on-ravelry

I just found this site thanks to the Ravelry group, and it looks pretty good! Has some simple instructions for mitts and socks and things. https://sites.google.com/site/neulakinnas/home

The site linked in the post above me is pretty good too. :)

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Give it away. As someone who has been there before the best thing to do with novelty yarn is to hand it off to the first fellow knitter you meet and run the other way.

It never ends, too. :( First it's fun fur. Then it's pom-pom yarn. Now I'm finding myself eyeing that web-like yarn that can only be made into a scarf. I think I need a yarn intervention.

I can give homes to wayward novelty yarn..

All of Wandering Knitter's pompom yarn is in my stash now, and I used some of it to make the softest pillow. :3: A couple days ago, one of my friends unloaded her fun fur yarn on me and I've been making hideous scarves with it ever since. Another friend gives me all of her sock yarn remnants, and I'm working on some mismatched/stripey socks with it.

I guess I make a lot of terrible things.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
That pillow and quilt look super amazing. I wish I had the time and patience for something like that, or enough sock yarn. Maybe I can start something similar with the stash of tapestry wool I bought last year from the thrift store..

In the meantime, I am nalbinding a terribly ugly blanket, because I was super jealous of the ugly blanket my friend was crocheting. I don't know how to crochet anything other that simple chains, and the idea of knitting strips or squares and sewing all of them up made me cringe. (In retrospect, I guess I could have made squares and picked up stitches along the edges to connect new squares, but let's pretend I thought of that and just didn't like it.) Nalbinding uses short lengths of yarn anyway, so this is a good stash-buster project.

Right now it's mostly shades of orange, yellow, green, purple, pink, and gray. It's all acrylic, and it's going to be the worst blanket ever. :3:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Now I'm really annoyed I can't find any in my area! And such pretty colors, too. :(

I think I've seen that at my local Michaels stores. If you want I can take a look and see about sending you some. :)

Scooty Puff Jr. posted:

According to the pattern it's 102 for a 2 by 2 foot quilt, and 384 for a 3 x 4 foot quilt.

..That's a lot of goddamn squares. I was just thinking of making a scarf based on the pattern, but it would take me a few lifetimes to finish it.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I tried unraveling some sweaters I got in a big garage sale bag of clothes once, and it was awful. It looked like a relatively simple garment with a decent thread weight, but it just did not want to unravel and I gave up after one sleeve. Poor sweater. Next time I'll be sure to get something I can actually work with.. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Drei posted:

Anyone going to be at Stitches West? I'm going with my knitting group tomorrow to hit up the marketplace, would be cool to run into some other knitgoons!

I just heard about this! I'm going to try to go, but no promises.