Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007

Shnooks posted:

Just finished this hat :) It's a big basic slouchy beret. I'm thinking of putting a giant button on it. Sorry about the crappy camera.

oo! nice. What pattern/what yarn did you use? That yellow is fabulous, and it's got a really cool sheen to it!

Micomicona fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 24, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007

Leon Belmont posted:

I don't know if this site was posted or not but it's pretty helpful.
http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory.php

My God, I love that site. An excellent (the best?) online resource for free patterns. The site is a compilation of just about every site, and so has a very diverse pattern selection--everything from little funfur nordic barbie sweaters to a knitted companion cube.

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007

deety posted:

A big benefit of using circulars for something wide is that your project ends up mostly resting in your lap, so your wrists and forearms aren't supporting the whole weight of it.

I really love circular needles.

Yeah--I'm knitting a shawl on a pair of circulars, and man alive--as it gets bigger I get more thankful that I am using circulars.

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007

jomiel posted:

Beginning of my first sock:

It's going to be thick though, at about 5 stitches to the inch :(

No shame in thickly-gauged socks! they make your feet exceptionally warm :3:

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007

Midnight Sun posted:

Remember, boys and girls: Always label your left over yarn! Or else, you'll encounter felting disasters like this:

Superwash + felting = DO NOT WANT!

Well, I guess on the plus side you've got a cool little elf-boot foldover effect going on there...

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

What fun pattern would incorporate some new stuff and be a step more difficult, without taking forever to knit up? I've done tons of scarves (because rectangles are easy), and I'm not really interested in socks (I'm scared of 'em, too).

Bags are a good idea, and so are mittens (if you don't live in mitten climes, you can make some fingerless mittens, which are easy and can pretty much be as simple or complicated as you wish).

But don't fear socks! socks are wonderful projects, useful, portable, ridiculously fast to knit up, and not so scary as they seem. Plus, you get to knit with like five needles at once and feel like a total yarn badass, and who doesn't like handknitted socks?

You can start out knitting a pair in worsted weight something, and use them as house slippers. Check out this site, which outlines the whole sock process with pictures and everything and holds your hand through the construction of a simple plain sock.

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007
Does anyone have any reccomended knitting blogs or anything? there's knitty, of course, and I used to read Eunny Jang, but it is sadly ended as she is now in charge of actual publications. There's a bunch of people who knit and write about it on the internet, but most of them are crazy people. There's one woman out there who makes hat patterns, and they are all about her boyfriend. I didn't even know you could write a knitting pattern about your boyfriend, but there you go.

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007

Kalista posted:

Oh man, I could just post out my entire blog feed for you, but then I'd look like a huge dork. So, my favorites are:

The Yarn Harlot ( http://www.yarnharlot.ca/blog/ ) - I just saw her speak here in Seattle and she's even cooler in person than she is on her blog. She'll make you laugh, I promise. Go back and read through her archives, they're worth it. She's also spearheaded the cause of knitters raising money for Doctors Without Borders and has raised $500,000 so far.

Mason-Dixon Knitting ( http://www.masondixonknitting.com/ ) Kay and Ann are also funny ladies, but their content can range from lots of knitting content to little knitting content. They are nearing the end of writing their second book together, so their posting is a little sparse sometimes. Also worth going back through their archives.

The Blue Blog ( http://alison.knitsmiths.us/ ) Alison updates almost every day, and is the host of Sockapalooza (which is about to start it's yearly sign-ups again).

The Knitspot ( http://knitspot.com/ ) Anne designs the most wonderful lace! She has a cool garden, a cool husband, a cool house and updates almost every day. Her blog is just great to read.

Jared, at Brooklyntweed ( http://brooklyntweed.blogspot.com/ ) doesn't post much, but his photographs are amazing. Read through his archives.

Grumperina ( http://www.grumperina.com/knitblog/ ) hasn't posted as often lately, but she's got great tips and hints and some good free patterns. It's worth reading her archives as well.

If I'm looking for a new blog to read, I'll usually start by checking out the favorites that these blogs above have listed as their favorites. If nothing else, it's a great way to kill a boring afternoon at work.

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

I recently discovered and am obsessed with TechKnitting : http://techknitting.blogspot.com/

Not updated very often, but I find it pretty fascinating whenever it is.

My God... It's beautiful...

Thanks everyone, this is perfect!

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007

Midnight Sun posted:

My latest project; a mohair wrap. If you want to keep your sanity, don't knit with hairy yarn!

true dat. Back when I started knitting, I got sick of scarves and decided to learn how to knit lace! So I picked some ridiculously complicated pattern (all sorts of crazy cast ons, didn't know how to read charts, etc), and some tiny laceweight fluffy pink mohair (what was I thinking? I dont like pink or fluffy!) and started along my merry way before getting SO FRUSTRATED. To add insult to injury, mohair is super hard/impossible to frog, especially if you suck at knitting, so I just ended up throwing what I had used away...

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007

Midnight Sun posted:

This is a fugly nest tote:

Oh! is that knitted or crocheted? I've been looking for a pattern for a knit bag like that for ages (I came into a bunch of kitchen cotton, and one can only make SO MANY WASHCLOTHS)

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007

Midnight Sun posted:

It's knitted, the pattern is here. Elisa's Nest Tote from the purl bee.

Oh my god, perfect! This is just what I've been looking for. Thanks! I will post pictues when I'm done.

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007
oh my god that octopus is amazing!!!

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007

elbow posted:

I did two projects for the Ravelympics but only finished one before the deadline. I finished the cowl yesterday, but haven't blocked either of them yet.

My first fair isle project:

And my first time using Noro, still not sure what I think of it. I'm really proud of myself for mastering the moebius cast-on, even if it took me 3 tries to get it right :)

Oh those are gorgeous! I'm working on the same pattern (halfway through mitt number two) with Drops Alpaca (mmmmmmmmmmm). I wasn't man enough for the moebius cast-on, unfortunately :(. Once I get my camera working again I'll post pics.

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007

elbow posted:

Thanks! What colors are you using? I love browsing through the Endpaper Mitts project page to see what amazing combinations people have made.
Unfortunately I discovered that one of my mitts is short one pattern repeat (:downs:), but after blocking you can't really tell that much, so I'm not going to fix it.

You should definitely try the moebius cast-on, it's so easy! Granted, it took me 3 tries, but that was only because I didn't read the part where it said that every time you loop the yarn from under and then from above the cable, you end up with 4 stitches instead of 2. That would have been a huge cowl.

I actually kind of regret my color choices: a beautiful mulberry and a dark tealy green. Both lovely colors, and lovely together in the ball, but when they're knit up there is pretty much no contrast so you can't see the pattern as well. I've fallen in love with the yarn though, and I love the mitts themselves (even without pattern definition, they fit great and look awesome), so I figure once I finish up with it I'll buy more and make another pair (mmm maybe a pumpkin orange and a cream).

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007

Midnight Sun posted:

Some more felted stuff: A wine bottle bag with needle felted heart.

(Cat and wine not included.) :3:

the GIANT WINE COZY DWARFS THE SURROUNDING FLORA AND FAUNA

But no seriously, it looks awesome! Cute cat, too. I'm afraid of felting, though I'm not sure why because from what I have heard it is pretty forgiving.

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007

Wheats posted:

Whoa, that's way less expensive than I expected. My biggest issue with buying online would be cost, but maybe it won't be such a problem. Thank you so much!

Yeah, usually I am very wary of buying yarn online (how can you tell it is nice without touching!?!) but I have had excellent luck with knitpicks. the yarn is quite nice, and the price is certainly right!

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007

Z Is Overrated posted:

Also, is anyone else really bad about blocking things? I finally got around to blocking a scarf that I had finished knitting a little under a year ago, I've got another finished scarf that's waiting until Friday (when the ironing board won't be in use), and I recently finished a sweater that I know will be ages until I get to. I know I should block my things, but I just don't wanna :(

please validate my bad blocking habits

I've been knitting for four years, and I only just blocked something yesterday (granted, I'm mostly all into socks and other small things, which don't need blocking as much) and that was only because it is lace and really really needs to be blocked.

Even so, I need to re-block it because I was impatient and unpinned it before it was %100 dry :(

I'm also really bad at weaving in my ends, though that is a pretty neccesary step. I generally wait til I have like three or four things that need weaving and do it all in one horrible go.

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007

Bad Mitten posted:

Protip: buy some interlocking foam mat squares. I bought mine at Target in the back to school section. I have also seen them in the kids section in the form of a hopscotch mat. You can put them together in various configurations, whether to block a long scarf or a sweater. They stack to store easily. Best of all, they don't hold onto the water as much as a towel, so stuff dries much faster. I even aim a fan at my item to speed up the process. I generally can block a scarf in the evening and have it ready to go by morning.

Mine is solid, but along the idea of this: Foam Play Mat

ooo good idea! I should pick up some of these guys--blocking on a towel on your mattress during fall in Portland is just a recipe for sadness and mildew. I can't even get my drat dishes to dry in a day, much less a woolen item!

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007

Mnemosyne posted:

Hopefully this will help me get a handle on knitting in the round. I bought two Clover bamboo circulars, but the cord that runs between them is really, really stiff, and it makes it very difficult to work with. I tried "magic loop" with them, and then I tried two sets of circulars, but I got really frustrated and gave up on both of them within a few rows. How does anyone knit with those stupidly stiff cords?

Oh! I thought it was just me! I tried magic loop with two little clovers, as their dpns have never done me wrong, and swore off the whole technique out of frustration. I ought to invest in a nicer set and try again (or at least try the soaking trick)!

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007
Oh my god guys new KNITTY:

https://www.knitty.com

I've just added about ten things to my ravelry queue. Uh oh, I guess it's time to go yarn shopping! :haw:

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007

Molly Bloom posted:

Oh, god....aeolian is so on my list now. Shipwreck shawl might be on there, too.

I swore to myself I'd never knit another shawl after my last one took me two years to finish, but dang both of those are tempting...

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007

Molly Bloom posted:

edit: oh jesus gently caress, I went to block it and heard 'twang'. Now there's a huge goddamn hole in it. I'm just throwing it the gently caress out. I cannot do this again.

aaaaAAAAAUUUGH!!!

oh my god, your post made me physically cringe. I'm really bad at blocking because I am terrified of this very thing.

This is why socks are good! Just get em wet, put em on, and kick back with your feet up for a while!

Micomicona fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Mar 14, 2009

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007
god i loving hate knitting on two circular needles. I have a sneaking suspicion that this is really because i go out and buy the cheapest circs there are, so the cords are all loopy and lovely and figgly and i hate them arrrgh!

Does it get less fiddly with nicer needles?

As for gaugeing: gauge for socks y/n?

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007

TauntTheOctopi posted:

Socks? Pfft. Who's afraid of socks?

Only my second socks ever.

And since I can't really get a good picture of my own foot, here's the pattern.

I've lusted after these since the pattern came out and they were totally worth it!

... Also, I wish I could find a knitting group! Two of my friends are learning to crochet so maybe we can get a group together if they stick with it.

oh...

oh my...

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007
Yeah, I have a wicker knitting basket as well for my living room (as of christmas upgraded from a pretty nice basket to a totally sweet lined basket with a drawstring top and pockets and poo poo!--thanks aunt bethie!), all of my "not touched yet" and "projects I got so sick of I took out one of the needles to open an envelope" yarn is in a couple of those big thick zipping plastic bags (the kind that comforters come in) stuffed under the bed.

It's a pretty good solution for our closet-less apartment, and it is nice to whip out the bags every once in awhile and get all excited and surprised about yarn I forgot I have.

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007

Ha! Yeah, baby socks are a good idea.

You should have seen me turning my first heel. I was in public, wrestling with an ugly rear end sock, and yelling "What the poo poo is this!?!?"

ha ha! Turning your first heel in public is never a good idea--I did mine while watching a movie with a friend, he turned to me to say something and I just snapped "WOULD YOU JUST STOP loving TALKING TO ME RIGHT NOW"

heels = zero to crazy bitch in like two rows

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007

Goldaline posted:

Exactly! I really dislike posting on there now, it's poorly set up, and just a place to get a pat on the head. Once in a while I do, mostly to try and drive traffic to my blog, but it's just not any use if I actually need help, advice, or constructive discourse. I really wish there was a sewing/garment making site along similar lines to ravelry...

There's kind of burdastyle, but even that is not nearly approaching the awesome that is ravelry.

I personally hate craftster for pretty much those same reasons; someone could post a piece of poo wrapped in red heart yarn and people would say stuff like "how creative!" "what a nice poo!" "thanks for sharing!"

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007

FelicityGS posted:

I have a knit to show off!

I'm really pleased with it. It grew to be 72 inches across from 55, and 32 inches long from 24.

Ha ha, glad to see that I'm not the only one who blocks on their mattress.

Lovely shawl, by the way! What is the pattern?

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007
I'm knitting my first sweater http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/poets-pullover and am having serious sleeve fatigue. Body's all done, first sleeve is all done, and I just can't bring myself to finish the other one. I've had to frog and redo like three times, and it just doesn't look the same as the other one, and suddenly the pattern is confusing to read, and blaaaah.

I guess I could block it and wear it road warrior style, with one sleeve?

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007
So I'm making a whole fleet of felted slippers for Christmas presents for my lady-relatives. They're all knit up, and I'm at the felting stage. Now, this is my first time at the felting rodeo, so I'm totally at a loss in terms of what I'm doing. I followed the directions, and they have felted down to the right size and gotten all thick and undifferentiated, but they're oddly... hairy.

What am I doing wrong? The only thing that I can think of off the top of my head is that they kept escaping from their pillowcases during the wash... could that be it? Do they just need more time felting? and if so, is there any way to stretch them out so they don't end up way too small afterwards?

Or can I just give them a shave or something?

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007

Peppercat posted:

My soon to be husband and I are headed to Portland in September for our honeymoon. I was hoping that some of you might live up that direction and could give some recommendations for a LYS or two that I can visit for souvenir yarn? So this isn't a post completely devoid of knitting- I made a cowl! :D

Congrats on the wedding!

As for yarn oh lord you are coming to the right place for yarn. Awesome LYS are everywhere here! I myself prefer to go to Yarn Garden because I live just a few blocks away and it is huge and awesome.
http://yarngarden.net/

I haven't been to this one yet, but the concept is just about the coolest thing ever--Yarnia. You go, and they have all these spools of single ply of different colors and fibers; you order a custom blend and they spin it up for you and you buy it by the pound!
http://www.yarniapdx.com/

I'm sure there are about four billion more worth visiting too. Also, keep in mind that we haven't got any sales tax here... just in case you needed any more excuse to go yarn crazy...

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007
Hey knit-goons,

So I've been working on my first-ever sweater for like a year now--well, not really a year, I hit a road block months ago and set it aside. UNTIL NOW.

This is the pattern:
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/poets-pullover

The sleeves, as it turns out, are WAY poofier at the top than they look in the photo, and while they look lovely on a smaller frame, they make my beefy linebacker shoulders look even beefier. The body is all done, though, and I like that part a lot.

What's the protocol for changing the sleeves entirely? Can I just take the sleeves from some other pattern? How do I make sure it fits the armscye properly? I don't understand sweaters :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007

It's actually quite complicated - involving calculus - to figure out the right set of numbers for sleeves/armscye and I don't understand it either. But, I think these things tend to have semi-standard numbers so it might not be too hard to find another pattern that you can use.

Another thing would be to pick up stitches from around the arm hole and knit the sleeve downwards, see if you can find instructions for "top down set in sleeve".

Aw nuts. Calculus is scary! I kind of like the idea of top-down sleeve though... How hard can it be? (oh god so hard :ohdear:)

zamiel posted:

Have you gone through the finished projects to see if anyone else altered the sleeves? It's one of my standard tricks when I want to change something, because someone once told me not to repeat someone else's work/research if you didn't have to. Bastard made me lazy.

A couple of people made some sleeve edits that will de-poof it a bit (though not UN-poof it), I think I'll try knitting one up like that and see if that works.