Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
So, I've finished my garter stitch scarf (hooray). I saw a pattern I liked with increases and decreases (gonna work on my purling first, though) that asked for Noro Kureyon. I was able to go to a local yarn store with a friend and it was itchy and stiff to me. I got some Noro Silk Garden, which is alright. They were out of Taiyo though. Has anyone tried that? And do they all really have knots in them? I'm not sure I like the idea of knots while I knit...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Thanks for the Noro advice. I was concerned when everyone I know mentioned knots after I'd gotten a couple of skeins for a pattern to learn increases and decreases (I'm doing one technique per project so I don't burn out). I'll probably try to untie them. The colors mixing doesn't bother me since it's a Lisa Frank Trapper Keeper color explosion themed project. And the Russian join looks really handy.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

So, I'd like to venture into sock making at some point or even work towards making a dead fish hat. While I'm still working through the scarves of newb skills (I'm on the ribbing stitch one, next is increases+decreases), I was wondering if there were any super simple hat patterns or sock patterns people liked for magic loop or knitting in the round on.

I don't know that I can pull off double pointed needles...

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Ooo, thanks. And sock making sounds awesome.

That is a nifty shawl and those are cool socks.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Dead Cow posted:

That silvers sock class has 3 methods. Read em through, and pick one!

Ooo, thanks. I'll probably go with the middle one. DPNs intimidate me and I have terrible hand coordination.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

What sort of stuff would be best suited to a single skein of Noro Taiyo? I've been trying to find more of the shade, but it isn't happening. I am working on learning to increase and decrease, so that's about the level I'm at. Would it be too bulky for socks? Maybe better for a simple hat? Simple scarf?

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Bertrand Hustle posted:

If you are just learning to increase and decrease, a basic ribbed hat is a good project to get you some experience doing that, assuming you know how to knit in the round.

The other thing I like to do when I have a limited amount of a yarn and don't know what to do with it is to look up the specific yarn on Ravelry and search for projects that people used it for.

That sounds like an idea. Noro Taiyo's been really tough to find even online anymore. I think if nothing works out, I may donate it or use it for scarf practice.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Those sound awesome.

Has anyone used Cupcake yarn from Peter Pan? This is the most ridiculously soft, fluffy yarn I have ever used. I went to check out my local yarn store and found it. Since I got a discount on it, I grabbed some and am using it to practice. I kinda want a sweater or shirt and mittens out of it one day, too... I wonder if this sort of material is suited for it? How do you know what yarn works best for say, a shirt?

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Thanks for the tips. I'm not quite to knitting in the round. But soon.

Is it usual for the ends of a scarf to be a little wider? I'm not done with it, and I intend to block them, but it looks like the ends of the scarf are just a hair wider. I counted my stitches and they're the same number...

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

I think I use the long tail method to cast on, since that was what my friend showed me and what I saw in the Stitch 'n Bitch book. That, and knittinghelp.com.

It's nice to know it's not just me, then. I thought it was very odd.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

I like Noro yarn, but sometimes they throw in an odd color I wish that wasn't there.

That said, has anyone found the new Tudor Rose knitting book? It looks really cool and I wanted to chuck it on a wishlist...

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Drei posted:

Yeah, we got Tudor Roses in at my LYS. It is SUPER pretty, not sure if I would ever make something from it, but the pictures and styling are fun to page through. It has a good amount of history on the Tudors, especially the women in the family.

Awesome. I'm told the last one had crazy 80s colors stuff, but the new one is awesome. Haven't seen it anywhere yet though.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Merry Christmas!

I got send some more Cupcake yarn. It's so fluuuuuuuuuffy!

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Awesome!

I finished my stockinette stitch scarf, and am now going to try this one:
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/the-unicorn-pegasus-rainbow-scarf

I have a couple of odd questions. This is my first attempt at doing something with increases and decreases (Although, if someone has a simpler pattern with a similar yarn - I do have some Noro Taiyo and Noro Silk Garden), so it's a bit novel to me.

1) She doesn't say to bind on? Do you just start knitting?
2) And if you're switching yarns, do you just start working with the second yarn after a couple of rows and hang onto the other? Or might it be okay if I just go through with one skein then the other? I did intend to learn striping by swapping yarns at some point, but I try to limit it to one new technique at a time.

Aerofallosov fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Dec 26, 2013

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Oh! Whoops. 3 stitches, got it. So work in the second skein like usual and hold it snug. That's good to know, thank you.

Edit: As it turns out, I'm using two skeins of the same self striping yarn... and I figured out kfb. Wooo.

Aerofallosov fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Dec 27, 2013

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

I apologize for the double post, but as I've discovered the hard way, it seems I am allergic to something in Noro Silk Garden as I've been working with it. :( What are some self striping yarns folks like? I guess Silk Garden is right out now...

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Who has the coconuts? :D Hah! That's great. I'll look around for those. My hands are still burning a bit and slightly swollen, so I guess I'll get my cleaning gloves out and frog the scarf then find a nice bag to stash it in and send it along.

I do have a skein of Taiyo I could try.

And Nazi socks making you suffer seems apt somehow.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

I am sending my Noro Silk Garden off to a friend in return for mystery stash gifts. In turn, I have scored some Mochi Plus in grateful grapes. It is awesomely purple and I could not be happier. I think I like it more than Noro because I am not allergic and also I don't have veggie matter all over me.

Are you able to search Ravelry by technique? I wanted to learn some yarnovers and magic loop in preparation to make my fish hat, but ... I haven't had much luck. And my friend told me to ignore Stitch 'n Bitch's chapter on yarnovers, so I figured I'd just find a pattern with yarnovers in it that's not too complex.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

I wish I could use metal needles. I knit kind of loosely, so my stitches tend to slip right off. :( But some of the wooden ones are quite pretty, so it's okay.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

So I finally started getting a tube shaped sock going with worsted yarn and bigger needles! Thanks for having faith in me, little old English ladies. :)

... the downside is, once I got past the k2, p2 ribbing and did stockinette stitch ... it looks less like stockinette and more like stockinette a little with lots of random stitches. I'm knitting in the round on DPNs (or trying).

Is there anything I need to know? Because it looks really weird and lumpy...

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Antinumeric posted:

Are you knitting knit stitch only? knitting in the round is one sided, so stockinette is knit only, garter is knit then purl. It's caught me out a bunch when I started making gloves/socks. Other than that it could be stuff like accidentally changing direction (easy to do if you accidentally invert the whole thing).

... oh. This is it. I was knit, purl, knit, purling. I forgot that knitting in the round is one sided. Well, the more you learn.

Thanks, guys. And yeah, next time I'll throw in a picture.

Aerofallosov fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Mar 3, 2014

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

Knitpicks is a really different company than it used to be. The original owner, who was actually a knitter, handed it over to her son. Prices went up, production moved to China, quality plummeted. That's without even getting into their appallingly terrible handling of their huge security breach. I think a lot of people are still boycotting over that. So I'm completely unsurprised that the business is suffering and the guy is making another dumbass decision.

Yeah, I heard that, too. Which is a shame because my first pair of knitting needles were from the old Harmony set and they are still very awesome. Oh well. I'd been putting 5-10 bucks each month into a Dyakcraft set of needles (The Darn Pretty interchangeables).

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

I've had good luck with Cascade stuff. I'm still uncertain about high end sock yarn. My feet go in those! they run around! It seems sad to use such nice yarn for running around in. >_>

And ooh, thanks Nibblet. Though, too bad I'm in the UK and apparently allergic to Silk Garden. Which I still need to offload, hmm...

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

I wanted to knit a lap blanket like this: http://www.purlbee.com/the-purl-bee/2013/1/6/whits-knits-super-easy-lap-blanket.html

Would King Cole Ultimate yarn be a good pick? It's bulkier than what they listed. A friend is asking me to knit this for them, and it's a bit of money on the side I could really use.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

I think so, thanks. I got a ball of it as a freebie from a knitting class/club (rollin' with my old ladies).

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

... well, that'll teach me to be out of the country for a year. :( Maybe I'll see if a friend can order some of the last bits for me.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Where would be the best place to donate gently used knitting needle sets? I'm saving to pay off my dyakcraft, but to be honest, having one set of needles with spares forces me to be disciplined about projects so I'd like to pay it forward when I can.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Cool, thanks. It'll be awhile before I can afford to pay off my dyakcraft, but they'll hold them for me. I just figured I'd look around and pay it forward as I can.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Mad Hamish posted:

........jellyfish, you say?

My sea critter pattern book has a jellyfish or two in it, it's pretty neat. 75 Seashells, Fish, Coral & Colorful Marine Life to Knit & Crochet is the title. I quite like it, and have been making little sea weeds to assemble for my sea weed scarf. I may even incorporate some invertebrates into it. Or a couple of fishes.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

I'm worried about overfrogging my yarn, so I'm learning to put a lifeline in. Is there any way to repair slight fuzziness caused by frogging?

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Wow, those are quite nice.

I have a question. I want to knit the Age of Steam and Brass shawl. I have some cool sock weight yarn. Can I use that or should I hold out and check my stash for DK yarn?

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

suddenly cats posted:

From the pattern's Ravelry page:

It sounds like you should be able to, and from a cursory glance at the pattern it looks pretty easy to add more repeats on. I'd say just make sure you have plenty of said sock yarn.

:doh: I missed that. I will see if anyone mentioned exactly how many repeats to add on for that weight of yarn. I have 438 yards of yarn in sock weight (US 0-3 needles). I have size 3 needles, so that should be fine.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Wow, those all look super awesome! I love them. My shawl is coming along. A lifeline saved me, so now I do one every couple of rows. I'm proud it's progressing. Even if it's the Pretty Basic pattern, it's my first shawl. Though, I have no idea what purple with rainbows will match but whatever. It's mine and I am making it. I love these colors.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Valdara posted:

Ok, another pattern request. I have been commuting by bike, and my palms are getting sore. What is the best way to make gloves padded in some areas? Hold more strands together? Knit additional layers on top (if that's possible?)? Something I've never even thought of?

Check out my stash on Ravelry (same handle), and if there's something you'd use from the KnitPicks Memories, I'll give it to you just so I can stop storing it.

May I join in on the swap? I'll take a look and see! Also, one thing I saw that might be good for padded palms was this 'paw pad' print glove. I'll see what my friend says if she has it. What about something like sewing on a bit of fabric and putting a tiny bit of padding in it, then sewing it shut?

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Ack, I'm sorry! I didn't mean to dogpile. There's no rush and I am happy to swap.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

I'm working on my first shawl (Pretty basic is the name of the pattern) and I tried to make sense of the one linked. :( I guess I have a long ways to go.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Those are nice mitts! And I want to try giving socks a go. I have some King Cole DK I saved up for a pair, and some double pointed needles.

But I'm working on this shawl first. I'm on section 6 of 6 of the body in Pretty Basic. I'm proud that lifelines and learning to tink has kept me from frogging it over and over. I love Witch Candy's yarns, but she apparently looped the hank so I had to get help winding it. It was kind of weird.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

A friend of mine is huge on dragons, and I was wondering how well knitted scale mail worked? Like knitting some scales into a dice bag?

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Yup, I found a neat pattern that fits the bill! http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/scaled-pouch I have a DK yarn I want to use for it, so now I need to see if I want to use small or tiny scales.

Edit: The pattern suggests the Ring Lord for scales. Though somewhere closer might be groovy.

Aerofallosov fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jul 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

I kind of have a love-ohno thing about super fancy sock yarn. On one hand, it's so pretty. On the other, this fact makes me feel awful about the fact it'll be going on my feet. Which is why this shawl is the sock weight yarn and my sock project is going to be King Cole DK yarn because it can take a beating.

Also tiny yarn on DPNs made me fling it at a moth.

Good luck, Valdara. >_>