Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

^^nice shawl.

I started knitting last month and really wish I had bought circulars instead of straights. Oh well, perhaps I can still sell the set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Nibblet posted:

Hey, I have a favor to ask. Does anyone have or know where I can get a hold of the Wallace and Gromit knitting pattern series from Alan Dart? I can only find a couple on eBay but I really want the whole set (I think there are 6 patterns).

Anyone with any information, it would be greatly appreciated, please!! Thanks!

Email consumer.ccuk@coats.com and ask them.

However, they say they do not have all the patterns in the archives and only sent me Timmy and Shaun. Perhaps you'll have better luck.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Timmy is a little lamb from the Shaun the Sheep kids spin-off show.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

I finally finished knitting something!

Garter Stitch mitts, nice easy pattern:

Oh man my arm looks so pale

And this not yet blocked shawl:

I don't have enough room to block it and will have to go to my friend's house. Never blocked anything... it's just wetting and pinning it, right?

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

That was really helpful, thanks! I wouldn't have thought of using wire/thread to keep the top straight.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

EVG posted:

What pattern did you use for this?

Garter Stitch Mitts by Ysolda:
http://ysolda.com/2007/11/25/garter-stitch-mitts/

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

I've spent more time in the past month buying yarn than knitting. My stash just keeps on increasing.

CureMinorWounds posted:

But I have a question, what exactly is DK weight yarn? Is it a little lighter than worsted, like sport?

DK is in between worsted and sport.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

I finally got round to blocking my shawl. It was my first time blocking something and the change was amazing. The top isn't completely straight but I'm fine with that.

Fooley posted:

Got a skein of this in #5. Its darker and there's more black in person. Suggestions?

A scarf and a hat.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

My first project was a pouch for my GBA SP. Just knits, purls, two button holes and some seaming. Really simple and quick.

Xinica posted:

I rarely knit using diagrams, and I always forget that you start from right..

:psyboom: I didn't know this. Aw gently caress! At least my cardigan doesn't look too weird.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Fionnoula posted:

Did any of you watch the BBC show Sherlock? I NEEEEEEEED to make a Dr. Watson jumper.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/dr-watsons-cabled-crew-neck

As it says on the page it more a bunch of notes with instructions on how to do the cable and chevron pattern. It's also not identical with two extra cables on the body and other small mods.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Hypothetical Mcgee posted:

On a related note, does anyone have any tips for a stretchy cast-on? I've been making some fingerless mitts and they always end up too tight on the cast-on edge.

Try this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n8E3I6Cg2k. From the same woman in teknicolor's link.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Helanna posted:

Any recommended online yarn stores in Europe?

Fyberspates - Lovely fancy yarn. Based in Wales.
Blacker Yarns - Simple British yarn, great customer service.
Hejhog - Decent prices.
Stash - Nice variety on brand yarns, nice clearance selection.
Kemps - Great prices, terrible website.
Colourmart - They sell oiled yarn on cones. It's great quality yarn at great prices but you must wash the oil off.

Get a Ravelry account and some cheap yarn to practise with. Crochet hooks are a good idea too.

e: Texere - Their own brand yarn is nice.

Sodium Chloride fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Dec 1, 2010

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

dopaMEAN posted:

So I decided to learn to knit Sunday. Since then I've logged ~9 hours of knitting, and I have about 1 inch of curled up (but well stitched) scarf to show for it!

I think a scarf is a really bad idea for a first project and you should start with something smaller. Your gauge will change as you get used to knitting and the scarf will look better at the end than at the start.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

I just splashed out on an Addi Bamboo click set. The needles are much smoother than my cheapo bamboo set. Now I can try out magic loop!

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Dead Cow posted:

Maybe it's just me, but the bottom part of the omelet shawl looks like little vaginas.

I was planning on knitting that! Now all I see is vagina.

Gonna do this shawl instead.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

I finished a few things.

I hate how these mittens turned out. On the left mitt you can tell where I inserted the flip top and the flip top is a bit wonky.

The colour change was forced as I ran out of yarn and the company didn't have any left. But Colourmart kindly sent me the dark navy for free(!) so I could finish this.

And a Moebius cowl.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah that is the snapdragon mitts. The moebius cowl pattern is here.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

^^ Cute!

I finished a scarf. It was the first time I'd done that sort of bind off and it sort of looks like pink and purple nipples. :geno:

Still got three skeins of this yarn and I have no idea what to do with the rest of it.

Sodium Chloride fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 9, 2011

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

I liked the hat idea :)

Did the top of the hat with kitchener stitch instead of pull yarn through the last loops which I think looks weird. Also the pinks made a nice swirl before the decrease rows.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

knitta please posted:

This yarn is super pretty and looks really soft. What is it?
It is Fyberspates Scrumptious. (Rav Link) You can only get solid colours these days as I think she doesn't dye them herself any more. Nice yarn but the normal price is £14 :aaa:.

quote:

General question: What is a good first adult size sweater to make? I was thinking of doing Owls on Ravelry, as it seems like a decent pattern to modify in the future - thoughts?

The might have got fixed with the pay version but many people comment that it has 'a poofy back'. I think a top down raglan would be easier as a first sweater since you can try it on as you go.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

madlilnerd posted:

because she's moving house she put up an open invite for people to come round to her flat and dig through piles of yarn and fabric.
(....)
What should I do with it? I could never knit an adult item of clothing on it, I'd go insane.

Does she have any yarn left? I like free yarn.

As to what to do with your yarn there is a spinning technique called Navajo plying that can by used for knitting which involves tripling the yarn from a single source. It is basically a series of giant crochet chains. I recently made a small swatch with this technique and it works great.

Good video here.

Sodium Chloride fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 12, 2011

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Is there somewhere I can get more information about her sale?

I am torn between 'yay more yarn' and 'no, I have too much yarn'.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

You could restart the yarn swap thread.

Your friends email bounced which I am taking as a sign that I don't need more yarn. I don't have space for more yarn anyway.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

That nice entrelac sweater on Knitty reminded me of something I saw when I was younger:

Ugh. Unflattering and makes her look like a huge cushion.

Bonus:

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Finished a hat:

It's hard trying to take a half decent picture when there's so little light. The hat didn't fit on psyduck so I used a bowl on a bottle.

Used kitchener for the top. A simple knit, fits my head perfectly and the cashmere is really soft.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

I finished a jumper. First time I did any seamed and three needle bind offs. Yarn was Navajo plyed.

The arms are a bit tight but I think that's how it's meant to be.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

It's Beatnik from Knitty.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

FelicityGS posted:

You say the yarn was n-plied? Did you make you? I am jealous--I don't have the patience to do a full sweater's worth of yarn.

Sorry, I should've been clearer. I meant Navajo plying as shown in this video, making a thicker yarn from a single source. The yarn I used was a fingering weight tripled to aran-ish weight. I didn't mean to imply that I made the yarn, although that would be awesome!

Sodium Chloride fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Dec 3, 2011

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Spiteful posted:

Alright, so my boyfriend has asked me to knit him a sweater..
WHAT DO I DO!?!?!?! OH GOD, THE CURSE... THE RISK... HOW DO I DEAL WITH THIS CRISIS? :derp:

Make him pick the pattern, yarn and of course make him pay for all the materials.

Not an Anthem posted:

Goddamn. How difficult would this be for a first timer? The only thing I want out of knitting is lots of sweaters.
I wouldn't choose that pattern for a first timer. For a start the cables on the sides are not typical cables, they have a column of twisted stitches that were incredibly annoying to knit.

Something easier, quicker and more forgiving like a top down raglan would be a good choice.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

:sigh: Shoulder doesn't match up and I should've seen the problem coming. I think it's an error with the pattern although no one who's done this pattern has complained about it.

The solution is fairly easy but requires frogging :suicide:

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Amykinz posted:

Not to imply anything, but are you sure you have the "right sides" facing out on both of those pieces?

It is the right side. The pattern is a 3 by 2 rib so the divide for the back and front should be between the two purl stitches (the smallest size does this).

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Amykinz posted:

Wooooo-eee that's pretty! What pattern is that?

I'm pretty sure that's Ethereal.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

It is hard to sell hand knitted items, mainly due to people not valuing hand knitted things.

Recently the BBC had on a little Christmas spot on tv with various people wearing horrible knitted jumpers. Originally they wanted the jumpers to be hand knitted and wanted to pay £20, knitters told them to go jump. In the end machine knit jumpers were bought for £70.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

That is a terrible recipe. I made a similar hat (Swirl Hat) and k2 p2 worked fine.

You could try a twisted rib instead.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Badly written. There's nothing wrong with that pattern. There's a lot of pointless waffle for a simple hat.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Made my first sock/felted thing:

(Sorry for the crappy photo. I thought adding the Nintendog would help the focus and it didn't)

Not the best job but they would have been great during the Euro cold snap the other week.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Serenity Dove posted:

Can anyone suggest any good wool shops in London?

In that immediate area there is Liberty on Regent Street, All the Fun of the Fair on Carnaby Street. A bit further south near Waterloo is I Knit.

If you're near Islington then there's Loop, who stock Wollmeise.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

I find using two circular needles easier than using magic loop, and the cable doesn't go all crinkly.

FelicityGS, that is a very pretty shawl and I would be interested in having the pattern :)

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Please send me the shawl pattern.

e: ta :)

Sodium Chloride fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah, there's not a lot of choice in London, especially South London. I have nothing near me.

Same issue with haberdashery. Just nothing. Went to Hobbycraft and they didn't have any separating zips but did have poo poo loads of novelty yarn :argh:.