Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Oh, yeah, I'm thinking of a first attempt just plain stockingette, to see if I can handle it and not gently caress it up, and then go nuts with cables or something. After the last year I want a project I can just zip through quickly, so stockingette knit in the round is a very appealing prospect! Like making a sock, but on needles that aren't toothpick-sized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

GF helped me do some measurements and now I'm figuring out yarns. I like the colours of this Lion Brand Fisherman's Wool and it's kind of cool that it isn't dyed, but I feel like it's only partially scoured and reviews seem very 50/50 on whether or not it's actually soft. Anyone here tried it?

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Oh, if it's too itchy for a hat then definitely not for a sweater, then. I will continue my search for a locally-available yarn.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

That sweater is beautiful! As for spinning, haha well, from what my GF gets up to it can be pretty addicting! I think fully half the space under the bed is taken up by her fibre stash.

Cast on my Flax sweater (minus garter panels on the sleeves - if I like how this goes I'll do another one with a cable panel in that spot?) yesterday and I'm already halfway through the yoke. The collar seems to be awfully loose BUT I am trying out the option where you add the ribbing later by picking up the stitches, which I may come to regret because it's something I haven't enjoyed in the past.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Patons Classic Wool, worsted, in Heath Heather which is a nice greyish-brown. Entertainingly, it's almost the exact colour as some alpaca my girlfriend just finished plying.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

That's just a design feature, and if someone doesn't immediately understand that then their aesthetic sensibilities simply cannot comprehend the scope of your artistic vision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

HungryMedusa posted:

How did this go? I finished my sweater and am wearing it tomorrow for Easter. Liked the pattern so much I am doing a second with a chart I designed for the yoke. I have so many other projects I need to finish but cant stop knitting

Yeah, I finished the body last week and am almost done the first sleeve. It's a little annoying wrangling all of this sweater while knitting the sleeve but I think it's going to all be worth it.

I think the 1x1 ribbing on the hems looks like poo poo at the moment but I suspect that will be rectified with blocking.