Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

dopaMEAN posted:

I actually just gave up, temporarily, on the ribbing and went with a stocking stitch so I could practice more. I think you might be right about moving the yarn, as I was not doing that at all. Also, when I was following the pattern it was described as K3P2 row 1, K2P3 row 2. So maybe I was messing up how the stitches were aligned, by always staring with the knit?

I'll try ribbing again tonight and see if moving the yarn doesn't fix my problem. Basically, I was getting stitches that were crossed over each other, really tight, or doubled. It was so confusing!

It sound like you are doing exactly what I was doing until a couple of weeks ago, i.e. not moving the yarn when switching from knitting to purling.
This video makes it really clear:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epLZfxF64nI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Sounds good!
The purl bit will tend to close in on themselves so that curling sounds normal. As to how long it takes? I'm not very fast so it might take me a week or two to make a scarf in a reasonably fine yarn, like you are probably using. I made a 4x4 rib scarf a little while ago and after a day or so, switching between knit and purl became pretty automatic, so much so that when I started the Irish hiking scarf, I kept having to redo stiches that I had unconsciously done 4 of when I only needed 2.

If you want to make a super quick scarf I find the quickest thing is to get a fancy hairy THICK yarn and big needles - you can run up a garter stitch scarf in a couple of hours that will look very nice :)

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Vulvarine posted:

I'm taking up moebius knitting and I was wondering if anybody knows of a good reversible lace pattern that doesn't curl. Doesn't have to be identical on both sides, but I'd like something attractive. The closest I've found is Old Shale Ridges (similar to feather and fan, but with some purl rows). Also any other attractive reversible stitch patterns, especially ones that some out springy and soft (seed stitch is no good).

This cable knit scarf is reversible and pretty simple to do:

http://www.cometosilver.com/patterns/palindrome.htm

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I'm sure this has been answered a thousand times before, but dammit, it's a long thread :mad:

What's the best place you guys have found for buying yarn online for a reasonable price?

I want to make the norwegian felted slippers for christmas prezzies but am finding it difficult to get 100% wool yarn that is not superwash (and the wool I have come across is upwards of 7 euro a ball :(

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

madlilnerd posted:

http://www.blacksheepwools.com/

I also use Readicut. But Blacksheep had an amazing stand at the knitting and stitching show I went to a month ago, everything was so so cheap (but you had to buy a whole pack of 10).

Oooh, they do look good, thanks!

Now, new question; is this kind of thing http://www.blacksheepwools.com/acatalog/Pure_Wool_Dk.html feltable?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Pookah posted:

Oooh, they do look good, thanks!

Now, new question; is this kind of thing http://www.blacksheepwools.com/acatalog/Pure_Wool_Dk.html feltable?

I'm a doofus, they have a whole section devoted to felting wool, and at very reasonable prices - gonna bag a selection today (plus some cross stitch patterns) thanks again for the link, it's awesome :D

Edit: Got 1 each of the lightweight felting wools and a really nice cross stitch kit on sale - awesome :D

Pookah fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Nov 15, 2011

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Question: I was trying out this pattern:

http://knitandstitchblog.co.uk/?cat=22

(first on the page)

And was thinking I could knit a christmas tree if I modify it slightly so that in rows 11 and 12 instead of casting on 10 stitches in each row, I cast on 14 the first time round and 18 the second time, to make the triangle shapes increase to make a tree shape - what you you knitters think?

( Reason is my cousin is spending a year in New York, and she'll be away from home for christmas for the first time ever, so I thought a knitted christmas tree with darned on decorations would be a sweet reminder of home and very portable :3: )

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

I think that is a great idea! I would alter it even more though - see how those shapes have the decreases in the middle? Well, you might not be able to see but anyway. If you cast on 18 say, and decrease every other row just inside the edge stitches it'll be more straight across the bottom while still a triangle shape.

EDIT: or you could do something like these too: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/little-christmas-tree

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/purled-christmas-tree

Thanks v. much for the hint - I'll try it out in the next few days and post my results :D
(the double-pointed needle, in-the-round patterns are a wee bit beyond me yet)

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Pookah posted:

Question: I was trying out this pattern:

http://knitandstitchblog.co.uk/?cat=22

(first on the page)

And was thinking I could knit a christmas tree if I modify it slightly so that in rows 11 and 12 instead of casting on 10 stitches in each row, I cast on 14 the first time round and 18 the second time, to make the triangle shapes increase to make a tree shape - what you you knitters think?

( Reason is my cousin is spending a year in New York, and she'll be away from home for christmas for the first time ever, so I thought a knitted christmas tree with darned on decorations would be a sweet reminder of home and very portable :3: )

So I followed Bob Shadycharacter's advice on doing the decreases at the outsides rather than in the middle, and it came out really well (well, it's my second time doing something with decreases, so I'm pretty proud)

I'm planning to darn decorations onto it and them maybe back it with satin and stuff a little filler in to make it a bit puffy.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

A while ago I posted about maybe knitting a chrismas tree for my cousin, since she was going to be away from home for Christmas for the first time (year away in New York).

Anyway, thanks to some good advice in this very thread, I successfully knitted said tree, got some bauble-shaped beads from the local bead shop and decorated it all over. It really did look awesome :D

Then her parents decided to buy her return flights as a surprise present, so she was here for the day, which was super awesome. I decided to give her the tree anyway, and Oh My God, did it go down well - she said it was the best present she has ever recieved and when she goes back, it will be hanging up whereever she is living until may at the very earliest.

:3:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Tourette Meltdown posted:

Putting my money where my mouth is re: knitting!
Laertes, the first thing I ever knit - a seriously sad, teeny tiny (like 18" long) scarf made out of cotton yarn.

No, seriously, it is so small.

Your other things are lovely, but I have a real soft spot for people's first projects - yours just so perfectly bocketty.

:3:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Pile of Kittens posted:

Seriously, it's supposed to be fun. It's a hobby. Stop torturing yourself.

Brain, read this and absorb it.

I got my first migraine in many many months and juust realised that the trigger has to be the fact that I just started knitting again after a break since early last winter. I was also working on a pattern where I had to concentrate on individual stitches instead of my usual brainless rib stitch-type projects.

The day after the migraine I started working on the same drat project because, hey, it's fun and I want to finish it! :downs:

I think I need to get new glasses. And maybe a new brain.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Pile of Kittens posted:

I just came down with norovirus and spent a day and a half puking into a basin near my bed. Now I'm better and I've been cleaning up. Guess where I found my missing ball of yarn that I hand-dyed specifically for Christmas presents? :suicide:

Just tell your giftee that it's a new colorway from noro!

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

On phone so no pics but I'm ridiculously proud that, because of repeated lockdowns here (Ireland) severely limiting outdoor activity, I finally FINALLY learned how to knit a hat on straight needles. I made 5 in the first lockdown, some hilariously ugly, and am back in hat makin' mode for the current six week lockdown. They are so easy, so fast and so flexible, they really are a great little project - big enough to keep you at it for a few days, but small enough to not get boring - I've got three on the go at the moment, because I have no attention span :)

Edit: also, because of weird incoherent public policy stuff here, yarn is deemed non essential and thus hard to get, so I've been unmaking really crappy things I knitted in the past and turning the recycled yarn into better things. Ripping bad work is surprisingly satisfying, who would have thought???

edit: HATS

Pookah fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Nov 2, 2020

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

You seriously spun the yarn AND made the sweater??? That is so goddamn amazing.

edit:

Midnight Sun posted:

I said I wasn't going to knit anyting for my daughter for the first day of school this year, but a week ago I found myself with a lot of leftover yarn and nothing to knit. So naturally, I had to make her something. Finished this at 2 am last night, my hands are so sore!
Pattern is White Rose from Drops Design, I made it straight instead of A-line, and i didn't knit the balloon sleeves. Quite happy with it! Made with Drops Baby Alpaca Silk.

Now I really don't know what to do. I've done something that I never usually do, and that is to start a new project before finishing my UFOs. I started a Tiril Snøkrystall Pullover back in November last year, I've knit both sleeves and started the body, but now I'm not feeling it at all. For the first time I want to just rip it all out and make something else.
That jumper is just lovely, and can I say your daughter has absolutely glorious hair, I am so envious :)

Pookah fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Nov 28, 2020

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Midnight Sun posted:

Thanks! The red hair skipped a generation, both my husband and I have boring dark blonde hair, so this was a surprise. (My father has red hair, so I haven't been sleeping around, haha.) She has very deep red and super thick hair!

Same thing happened to my cousin - she also got her grandpa's red hair when no-one else in her family did :)

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

drat, this thread is HARDCORE.

At this point, I fully expect someone to post about their genetic modification/cloning project to create a rainbow sheep from which they will shear, wash, card, spin, wind and then knit a simply gorgeous fairisle sweater :colbert:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Nthing that knitting too tight is absolutely normal when you're starting out.
Just keep going and find your own rhythm, it'll sort itself out. Stay away from fancy textured yarns, they are a pain in the rear end for splitting on the tip of the needle, and for messing with tension.

You've only just started and you can already do plain, purl and knit two together? I started knitting when I was about 10, and only worked out how to switch from plain to purl within a row after about 30 years. It took forever for me to realise that the yarn moves between the needles to switch from plain to purl, now I love knitting ribbed things, they are so cosy!

(In my defence, I am very left-handed, so most tutorials were inside-out to me and I just couldn't get it)

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Pham Nuwen posted:

No, I'm only doing knit or purl on any given row, not switching within a row. I should try that, though...

Give it a whirl! There are loads of good videos to demonstrate exactly how it works -it's absurdly simple, I don't know why I just couldn't get it at all.

Edit: Hats are a great small project that can be useful for practicing increases/decreases and all sorts of stitch combinations. I made a bunch of hats during the early 2020 covid lockdowns in Ireland, and while about half of them are terrible, they were all useful tools for learning,.

Pookah fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I'm far too feeble a knitter to post my own work, but I can please post the loveliness that is super simple Norwegian felted slippers.
You need feltable wool, and the basic ability to to plain knit
It's just that simple. You knit a series of colored squares, knit a small set of attached squares, sew them all together, using feltable wool, and felt them into slippers.

It's bloody magic is what it is, and it only needs you to be able to do the most basic plain stitch.