Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
I made a Spockboy

Click here for the full 558x776 image.

(on ravelry)

I'm not entirely pleased with the face (he looks very... scowly). Other than that, I'm really surprised at how well he turned out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Cynodont posted:

I think he's quite adorable.

As for the scowliness of the face, well..

Spock isn't really the most smiley of people. I don't think it's very out of character.

Thanks! And I reckon you're right about the face. Now I can at least claim that he's *in character*.

By the way, is there a SA group on ravelry?

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Dyrim posted:

I'm ambidextrous -- I write and eat with my left hand, and I use scissors with my right. I learned to knit by throwing, then later learned continental. I find that continental goes much faster for larger scale projects, but when I'm new at something, or it's relatively small and intricate, I prefer throwing. Right now I'm knitting using the two-at-a-time on one circular needle method, and I'm throwing all the way. When I build up some confidence, I'll try it in continental.

Here's what I've got so far:

I never throught I'd be able to do this, but it's a lot easier than it looks.

Wow, this is my next project for sure. I often lose interest in a sock project after I've finished the first one. I have a lot of single socks in my drawer.

Aaaand I'm continental all the way. Actually, I think that knitting a lot and using my left hand to carry and move the thread has helped me gain more dexterity in my left hand.

MIDWIFE CRISIS fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Aug 10, 2009

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

madlilnerd posted:

:swoon: What pattern is this? It's gorgeous!

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

madlilnerd posted:

Or knit it twice as wide and fold it together. Sometimes I just knitting spazz and forget all that though. I don't know why.

I wanted to try some easy colour work so I looked into using slipped stitches. The whole scarf uses slipped stitches so in each row you're only knitting with one colour. This created some really nice texture which unfortunately got hosed when I viciously attacked the acrylic scarf with an iron in a vague attempt to flatten it. The whole thing is worked with two rows of grey and then two rows of black, slipping any grey stitches you want to show up and vice versa.

I started out with a brickwork pattern which goes like this:
[work over a multiple of 6, minus 1 e.g 23]
G= Grey B= Black
Repeat the instruction inside the stars
Row 1-G Knit
Row 2-G Purl
Row 3-B K3 *Sl1 K5*
Row 4-B *P5 Sl1* P3
Rows 5&6 are the same are 1 and 2
Row 7-B K6 *Sl1 K5*
Row 8-B *P5 Sl1* P6

The other patterns on the scarf are just straight rows with slipped stitches or a variation of the brickwork, apart from the squares, which can be found at:
http://www.smart-knit-crocheting.com/mosaic-knitting.html

I hope this helps :)

Thank you so much for writing that out, I fall more in love with this pattern the more I look at it. I'd never even heard of this technique before, but it sounds like a lot of fun.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Hi! Does anyone know of a classy gent's scarf that knits up pretty quickly? I really want to knit something for my dad this christmas, so I only have between now and the 24th and I'm not the fastest knitter :( I'm reasonably confident with different stitches and stuff, the only requirements are that it looks nice and isn't too time-consuming.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Those patterns all look great, I'll probably bring them to the LYS and see what yarn I want to use, decide based on that. Thanks for the help :)

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

left_unattended posted:

I don't like laceweight yarn. I hate winding it, and I don't like knitting with it. It's light and it's pretty, but I'm terrified of breaking it by pulling too hard and my tension is all over the place. I knit much looser, and more unevenly. And I make so. many. mistakes. Does anyone else have this problem? Is it likely to go away as I get more experience with laceweight? Lace patterns are fine as long as the yarn is heavier, and I don't seem to have problems with my tension.

Yeah, getting the tension right with thin yarns is a pain for me. Heavy yarn forever :black101:

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Urgh, how do you know if you have enough yarn for a project if you're knitting something without a pattern? I want to knit a sweater based on an old favorite, which is basically just a boxy body with two arms attached. But I want to wear it in the summer so I'm using cotton instead of whatever mohair blend the original is, so I can't just weigh the original to get yardage. The yarn I'm using was on sale when I bought it, so I'm not sure there is going to be more :(

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

FelicityGS posted:

I'd knit a swatch, weigh it or unravel it to find out how much yardage that uses, then do the math to figure out from there.

Alternatively, check Ravelry for patterns similar to that that use cotton and see how much yardage it took. That's my lazy route and it usually works for ballparks.

Both great ideas, thanks!

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

I've just started the body of a sweater. It's knit in the round, but I don't really understand what I'm supposed to do when it says WS in the pattern. Do I turn the whole thing inside out?

I'm at the beginning of the third paragraph.

MIDWIFE CRISIS fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 12, 2013

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Fionnoula posted:

That doesn't read to me as if it's in the round. It reads like a flat-knit piece, knitted back and forth on circular needles so you can fit all the stitches on.

Urgh, you're probably right, I should have read this more thoroughly before starting. :( Would that make the final product a flat piece that you only sew up on one side?

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

It's Beatnik on Knitty, but with this modification from Ravelry. I probably just automatically assumed circular needles = knitting in the round. In the instructions for doing the seams it says "sew side seams", which confused me since there should only be one side seam, right? I would really like to not have to sew the ribbed bottom together, so I'll just leave that already joined and continue the rest of the body in back-and-forth and sew it up when it's finished.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

This turned out far more complicated than I initially thought. Thanks for the help anyway :)

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Giant Metal Robot posted:

Does anyone have any advice on softening scratchy yarn like Icelandic wool? I knit myself a nice hat with Lopi, but it has coarse, wiry hairs that make it annoying to wear.

Interested in hearing about this too, I have a Icelandic sweater I knitted a couple of years ago in the same yarn that I haven't blocked or anything yet.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

It's really pretty! How did you do the painting?

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

I'm not insane for wanting to take on this beast, right? I really want to do it in navy blue and bronze.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/embrace-octopus-sweater-pattern
I already have a sweater project, though, and I feel bad about starting a new, especially one this complicated :(

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Bertrand Hustle posted:

This is my first go at cable knitting. I was gonna post the end, but it's not crazy interesting, just 16 repeats of whatever this is called:

1: knit across row
2: p1, *k1, p1, rep from * to end

Seriously I forgot what it's called. :(

Looking good! What's that yarn, the color is gorgeous.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Speaking of gauge, I just completed a set of lace socks that I made some major adjustments to because I used a much thicker yarn than in the pattern. It was a major confidence boost, I've never dared deviate from the pattern before :)

I have another pair of socks in a wool/acrylic mix that turned out too big, though. Is there any safe way of shrinking them a bit or should I give them to someone else?

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Can you describe what the problem is when you try to knit with the berocco yarn? Maybe it's something that can be fixed :)

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

I knit an Icelandic sweater with Jarbo's Icelandic wool, and I think it ended up costing me over 80 dollars. But it's the warmest thing I own, so it was definitely worth it.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Sehkmet posted:

Also, does anyone absolutely hate the effort that you have to put into blocking, but absolutely love the results? Asking for me. It took me over an hour to get this done with blocking wires, but oh man it looks great now.

This is so pretty :swoon:

Blocking is definitely a chore but it's so rewarding, I get such a kick out of seeing how neat everything is after. Is that one of those play area mats you're using to pin it on?

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Those all look amazing and so well-made, but I especially love the ones that say "kaldt som faen". Danish?

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

That looks AMAZING :eyepop:

The fact that you made it from scratch, yarn and all, just blows my mind. I really want to try my hand at spinning someday, it sounds so interesting.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Had anyone deliberately shrunk wool mittens, especially a patterned piece? I'm making patterned mittens (two colors evenly distributed over the whole hand), and I know they're going to turn out slightly too big but I can't be hosed to unravel it and get smaller needles now. It's a thin, two-strand pure wool yarn. I'm thinking I could maybe put the mitten on my hand and submerge it in lukewarm water once it's done and then dry it flat to see what happens.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

My boss decided we are all taking a four day long, online class about IT and my colleague are complaining about how boring it is to just sit and watch. Meanwhile I am making so much progress on my mission to knit socks for my entire family :smug:

I love having simple projects that I can do almost on autopilot while I watch something else. Knitting pretty things with patterns, lace or complicated proportions is also satisfying, but being able to make a pair of socks every week makes me feel like I'm actually accomplishing something.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

:same:

If my apartment burns down I'm blaming SA.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

I'm about to put away all my winter clothes to make space for summer clothes in my wardrobe, and now I'm wondering if there is anything I should think about before storing knit clothes. Most of the items are made of wool, or wool/acrylic blends. How do you all do it? Any tips and tricks?

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Going to order some balls :wink:

Thank you!

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

This is going to sound obvious, but try out new techniques with thick yarn on large needles. Easier to see and understand what is going on.

Make sure your shoulders and arms are relaxed.

If your knitting looks uneven, you can gently stretch the fabric in different directions to see if the yarn can be distributed more evenly across rows.

Also, you will want to learn how to pick up dropped stitches! Accidentally dropping a stitch and having to redo a couple of rows loving sucks, so this is a skill that will save you lots of time :) also allows for the extreme pro move that is deliberately dropping stitches to fix mistakes you've made on previous rows.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnTH56geOpo
e. you don't need a crochet hook for this, it just makes it easier

If you're knitting socks you have to start the second one IMMEDIATELY after finishing the first one or it's never going to get done.

MIDWIFE CRISIS fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jan 3, 2023

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

I just looked up how to change between knit and purl in English style :psyduck:

continental 4 life

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

I'm going to be knitting a lot of socks this year for a charity event, but it's so annoying to bring knitting projects on dpns when traveling. There are so many needles involved and the risk of one slipping loose in the bag is too high. Is there a smart way of storing dpn projects for travel?

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

They have the funniest name too :cthulhu:

Thank you all for the dpn transportation ideas!

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Can you freeze wool? I found a wool mitten that has obviously been eaten by some type of bug, maybe carpet beetles.

I am freaking out a little, I have so much wool yarn stashed in the apartment. Will it be damaged if I bag it all up and throw it in the freezer for a couple of days?

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Love the color in the first pair especially :3:

How did you dye it? I've never tried dyeing.

DRINK ME posted:

I tried to force myself to knit continental so I would be faster and complete more projects, but I just couldn’t stick with it.

I can tell you that WIP hell is the same if you knit continental!

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Niemat posted:

Thanks!! Just to clarify: are you wanting to know the technique I used to get that "pattern" of colors? The equipment? The dye? Happy to talk about any or all parts of the process, but I'm also wanting to make sure I'm answering in a way that's helpful! :)

Especially the pattern, how do you make different color stripes like that?

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

This photo bothers me. It looks like the scarf was cast on from the long side based on how it is striped. But there isn't a cable/wire in the world long enough to cast on 17 FEET of stitches :psyduck:

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Yeah like maybe it's just a skill issue but I wouldn't be able to knit 17 feet of intarsia stripes while high on pain meds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

The mystery is how they cast on 17 feet horizontally