Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

I'm so attracted to the noro sock yarn, I'm just really worried that it's going to snap or wear out in one wearing. I knit pretty tight.

Not sure if this has been answered, but it will wear out extremely quickly--the sock yarns are still single ply, so they simply aren't tough enough to stand up to wear. A lot of people have holes develop in the heels after only a few wears.

Serenity Dove posted:

You don't have to pick wraps back up? Well, my life just got easier. Cheers!

I've never picked them up, but I also do short rows this way (which I find a bit easier).

felgs fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 11, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Serenity Dove posted:

Thanks for the link, I've bookmarked it so next time I need a hand it's there. I'm really excited since my grandmother has ordered me a set of Knitpro harmony wood circulars, (birthdays are good for something after all). I've done my first pair of socks on a lovely 79p charity shop needle. Even after dipping it in hot water hasn't done a great deal so I'm looking foward with glee to my snazzy new needles.

It was really fascinating the other day since my grandmother looked out her old metal circular needle. It's been in the family since her grandmother before her and is probably over 100 years old. She offered to give it to me since she can't knit anymore but we decided it was best for her to keep it and have it as something nice to pass on in however many years. It's really cool when you have a piece of the past like that. I know that knitting has been in the family for generations but I'm estranged from quite a few branches of the family for various reasons, it's nice to have links like that. :3:

Glad to be of help!

KnitPicks Harmonies have to be my favourite wood needles, if only because they don't tend to bow as readily or feel as delicate as the dozens of other wood brands I've tried. I hope you enjoy them, because they're quite wonderful to work with. I get angry at the cable, but I also have this strange standard of a cable that is in no way ever in my way, which isn't going to happen!

I'm the first known knitter in my family, so I don't have sort of cool history like that--you're so lucky! Sometimes it makes me want to have kids one day just so I have someone I can pass the craft on to, as knitting is pretty much a really important facet of my life. Instead, I just try and teach the people in my area and stuff as a compromise.

edit to add:

Spiteful posted:

Recently i've been making my own fingerless gloves but I find when I work increases for the thumb gusset that holes start to appear between the knitted stitches and the increased stitches.
I'd post a picture but they're dark grey and now the holes are sewn up. Clearly i'm making a noob mistake somewhere.

For holes by increases, that's often due to increases. My favourite type of increases in those cases are make 1 left and make 1 right, called 'raised increases' here. They are also called L-linc and R-linc by Bordhi. A kfb increase shouldn't be leaving a hole unless you're knit loose, in which case blocking uses lets the stitch relax again.

If you mean the hole by the thumb and hand, where hand and thumb join (not sure what that area is called), that's a fairly frequent thing no matter how you knit, and sewing it or picking up a few extra stitches is about the only way to solve it.

And in a totally non-useful information, I finished my Triangular Summer Shawl from Knitted Lace of Estonia at last!

I'd been working on it for ages, and so it's nice to have it done. I don't have any real changes I made to the original pattern, so not a whole lot to talk about there. It's Skacel 2-ply merino lace in purple, on size 3 KnitPicks Harmony circulars.

felgs fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Mar 12, 2010

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Serenity Dove posted:

I think I should bite the bullet and try knitting a full lace item one day, if anything I imagine it would develop some confidence working from more complicated patterns?

It's kind of funny, but other than how slippy the stitches want to be if you're knitting loosely, I find lace to not be so bad as everyone thinks. The really fine Shetland shawls that take forever to make and figuring out how to tension nupps in Estonian lace are perhaps the worst it ever gets.

That said, I'd suggest a lace sampler scarf. I made one a while back to use up a skein of yarn I had laying around, and it really lets you see a variety of patterns and test the water! Knitty had one in an old issue, and there's a handful for free on Ravelry too.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

I keep them in the KnitPicks set case that came with, since Knit Picks also don't label their needle sizes. I also have a small cardboard tube I use to hold my standard sizes.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Aardvarklet posted:

Well, my love affair with knitting has slowed considerably these last few months--I have a new baby and I'm just finding that I do a lot more sewing these days because of the quick gratification when making baby clothes. I'm also finding that sewing is a big money saver for me because I'm making things cheaply and quickly that I would be buying otherwise. With knitting, I'm really just spending extra money and not making anything terribly practical.

I have a few bins full of really nice yarn and I'm thinking of selling a good portion of it off. Any suggestions on the best way to do that?

I'm hesitant to rely on Ravelry because it seems like a sort of passive way to sell things.

A few of the ladies in my knitting group will sell their yarn they don't want on eBay, so that's an option. They seem to do quite well.

And I'm sure a few goons might be interested in yarn, myself included.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Bob Shadycharacter, how is Malabrigo sock? I love Malabrigo, but I've never tried their sock yarn.

In other news, I test knit some yarn for a dyer I like, and now I have a new shawl for myself:

It's the 198 yds. of Heaven 'shawlette' but knit with a sport/heavy fingering on US 10.5 needles since I wanted it to be big and airy. It's 28" from top to tail and 62" from one side of the wing to the other. I'm just waiting rather impatiently for it to dry!

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Glad to see I'm not the only one bothered with knitty. I think I usually end up knitting stuff from years ago, but I'm not on a sock kick, and I'm not really a huge fan of the shawls they always have--they just don't appeal to me.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

I spindle spin too! I've got a couple, and I'm at a point where I'm getting consistent yarn, but it's hard to vary much from that.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

I love that hat Blue_Monday. The colours and cables really work well together.

Personally, I hate Noro yarns and will never ever use them. Is anyone else here like that?

Bob Shadycharacter, I happen to know a woman who is amazing on two straights. She stubbornly refuses to ever go into the realm of knitting in the round; she's been doing it so long that her seams are invisible and you often can't tell she's never touched a circular or dpn in her life. It's rather crazy. But I entirely agree about knitting stuff in the round that is round! I'll even knit large shawls on circulars just because it keeps the weight on my lap when it's gotten large.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Zombie Pirate posted:

I'm mostly still just starting (knitting) (and lurking in this thread) but I want to be able to knit everything on circulars- so much easier to carry around.

There's no reason you can't. You just flip back and forth like you would with straights if it's a flat object. You have to worry a little more about length if you're knitting something round, but it's not too much extra.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

That's my main issue with Noro. It's got some amazing colours, but for the price it goes for, I want something with some actual quality. Knots, how rough it feels, and the fact it's nearly as slubby as a first time spinner's yarn are not what I'm expecting out of something that costs as much as it does. Never buying it again.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

I have a knit to show off!

Self-designed triangular shawl knit in KnitPicks Palette 'Grass.' I think it only used about 1.5 balls, but I'll weigh it when it's done blocking to find out for sure. This is going to a friend soon, so I have to snag my pictures while I can.

I'm really pleased with it. It grew to be 72 inches across from 55, and 32 inches long from 24.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Micomicona I based it off a stitch in Haapsalu Shawl (which makes me so happy as I'm a total Haapsalu lace nut) called crow's foot, and the edge is a top-down garter variation of a typical Haapsalu border. When I have the time, I'm going to write/chart it and give it out as a free pattern. It was actually relatively fast since I used fingering weight and 6.5mm(US 10.5) needles. If anyone wants the pattern when I write it up, I can link it after write-up--supposing that's alright here.

Drei, I love the Central Park Hoodie, but I just took a look at Que Sera. What a tough choice! It depends on how fast you knit as to which you want to do. I always knit lace faster than cables, so I'd likely get it done while the weather was still ok to wear it. It really just depends on what you want. I love those socks too! As for needles, I think DPN's are just dandy, but if you get a longer cable needle and magic loop it might work out better for you. I'm using a 2mm 80cm long needle right now, and I'm surprised at how nice it is. (Still won't give up my dpn's any time soon though).

Captain Stinkybutt, you can do it! After you do that first huge project, all the little ones that follow seem to go that much faster. At least that's how it was after I finished the Summer Triangular Shawl.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Captain Stinkybutt posted:

Speaking of which, why is it that every yarn store I go to has a hideous web page?

http://www.knitche.com/

They have the best website I've seen for LYSes. Ergh. Online yarn retailers are usually fine, Ravelry is great but man these local stores.

Personally, one of my LYS's has one of the better designed sites I've seen. There's a few things I wish were different, but in relation to other stores, I certainly won't complain!

Knitted Together

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Sex Hobbit posted:

Ahaha, gently caress meeeee. :doh:

Yup. The link to the samples and more info was just going to another page to say "HAH April fools!"

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Drei posted:

I've made Haruha and Branching Out and they are both lovely. Not sure how well cotton will hold the lace pattern, though.

Cotton blocks really well in my experience. You might want to make a very diluted starch solution, but from what I understand even that isn't necessary.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

I'd say just get him a gift card for something he'd like or something else he'd appreciate. My dad and brother are both like that, and I've long since given up on knitting them stuff. I always ask prior what kind of knit thing a person I intend to give a gift would want, because it's not worth my time to knit something with nice yarn they'll never use/look at.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

I fail at knitting this week. I started a new pair of socks. I knit the ribbing. That was easy. Then I knit an increase round, as per the pattern. That was easy too.

Then I apparently suffered a short coma, forgot I knit the increase round, and tried to knit it again on top of itself, all the while saying to myself "Geez, I made a lot of accidental increases on the last round of ribbing". Duuuurrrrr.

So I ripped back and redid the increase row, then tried to go on.

Only to realize I read the increases wrong and I'm missing a fuckload of stitches now.

ARGHH.

I hate those days. I either end up spinning (and then consistently dropping my spindles till I'm ready to scream) or just tossing it all down and possibly frogging.

The city knitting group I'm part of took a field trip on Saturday to a yarn store for the owner's birthday. There was cake and lots of yarn--and a storewide 20% off sale. Despite telling myself not to spend too much, I came home with more fiber than I know what to do with and a new spindle (I did manage to resist buying a wheel).

I also got some knitting done, and now my Aragorn socks are all finished!

I started them during Ravelympics, and after hitting a serious time crunch and picking a different entry over these, I never got back to the second sock. Now I have a pair, hoorah!

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Drei posted:

^^
Gorgeous! Aragorn is definitely on my to-knit list once I have a few more basic socks under my belt. How challenging did you find the cabling?

I have a deep-seated love for all cabling, and these are just over one stitch each time (so I suppose it's a traveling stitch motif). Being able to cable without a cable needle makes it a ton faster since you're only ever crossing one stitch over another. Otherwise, it makes a lot of sense, and visually it cues itself so that using the chart isn't really all the necessary after a repeat or two.

It's a cuff down sock, and the designer made some really intriguing (but not difficult to implement) choices about how to get the sock the way it is--I really like them because it didn't feel like I was knitting 'another pair of socks' since the construction had things I hadn't seen in another sock.

Molly Bloom, that's utterly horrifying. None of my relatives do that, but mostly because the one time one of them came close to messing up a piece I threatened them with bodily harm and a 10" steel US 10 needle.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

My boyfriend is really alright with the yarn shopping trips, but I do try to keep it pretty fast since he doesn't really have much to do when we go. He mostly just tries not to touch anything and browses/follows me around while I fondle the yarn and try to make up my mind already. It's really quite nice.

I've also finished the first of 2 projects for my mother for Mother's Day:

It's an Undine, but it's a super teeny one--not quite a yard wide or long. It's less than 190 yards of yarn (since I used only one ball of Mini Mochi). I did a bit of modifying to the pattern to pull it off: 7 repeats of B instead of 18, chart d in 4 garter stitch patterned rows instead of the 8.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

I suppose I could thread the dental floss through the stitch and do it that way but I don't want to go blind or anything. Thoughts?

For the life of me I can't find the store, but they sell dentist's hooks (I believe that's what they are, they're for medical use and have a super super teeny hook at one end) for threading small beads. I cannot find my catalog from them to save my life, nor remember what the company's dang name is.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Drei posted:

What are some shawl patterns that people really like? My mom's birthday is in July and this has been a rough year for her (forced into early retirement by her rear end in a top hat principal) so I'd like to make her something super pretty and lovely. Thinking about using either SweetGeorgia's Cashsilk Lace (soooo soft) or Handmaiden's Mini Maiden (a bit thicker and gorgeous colorways).

MMario is excellent, he's in my fav designers. Pine and Ivy is super pretty, and it's on my list to do. The designer, Anne Hanson, has a ton of really good lace shawls/stoles available, and I like a lot of them. Free wise, and still well done, the Vernal Equinox shawl is epic, a semi circle, and quite lovely. Knitty has the Shipwreck Shawl , which I had started on. I probably shouldn't have picked it for a first lace, because I ended up frogging it after a needle broke, but I remember enjoying it for quite some time. I know a number of people haven't done the beads with it either.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Blue_monday posted:

Finished my Akimbo shawl! http://ravel.me/Media/a1

From now on I'm going to have to start paying attention to changing needle size. This scarf cost like $60 to make. :|

There's a little voice in my head wanting to know if you blocked that.

I do so love the colour choices. :3

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Lumiruusu looks stunning, and may give me something to do once I finished the Vernal Equinox shawl. How did the octopus go? I have a chronic disorder where I can't finish any single amigurumi/stuffed animal ever.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Genpei Turtle posted:

That is awesome. Your stitches are so even! When I finish my current project (men's sweater made from sock yarn and 2 1/2 pt needles, yes I am insane) I am going to have to pick up that book and give a shot at that. How big is it when it's finished?

I'm with you on the insanity--I'm doing a stranded sock yarn lady's cardigan that's steeked and goes down to about midthigh. Oh dear.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Meow Cadet posted:

I'm a newbie knitter, and am trying DPNs for the first time. I want to make http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/hempathy-h20-tote but I'm having a hell of a time getting started. I can't even get 2 rows done without freaking out and starting all over. I think it's the thin yarn, and the tight circle that gets me.

Should I practice first with more cast on stitches? Or maybe with larger needles? Or should I just try to get the darn thing started for the umpteenth time and just press thru it.

I adore dpns, but I'll admit those first few rows are fiddly. My first row ALWAYS has a huge gap between the beginning and end of the round. Other than just being patient and not freaking out that it's not as tight as it seems it should be, there isn't much for it. It gets so smooth after those first few rounds. Try tightening the first and second stitch at each new needle. The really important thing is making sure you aren't loosing stitches as you go on, which is why I prefer wood to metal--that bit of extra grip they offer really makes a difference getting started.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Meow Cadet posted:

Well, there's only 6 cast on stitches, so there's only 2 stitches per needle when I start. I have a feeling that's my problem, it's just so darn tight. I can't get a handle on what I'm doing before I have to switch to a new needle.

I am using clover bamboo needles. I don't really have anything to compare them to (except the crappy boyle metal ones that came with my "teach yourself to knit" pamphlet) but I like them.

That really likely is it. I have a set of 4" dpn's that I eventually got specifically for thumbs and tiny stuff. It's another one of those just plow through it till it gets comfortable. Those first few rows are the hardest.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

I think what you're meant to do is place the one stitch on a safety pin before you knit it, cast on 4 new stitches, and carry on. The cast on is exactly that--you're adding new stitches, and you'll knit those as you go on. A pretty good resource as to how this is meant to look, Eunny's Steeking Chronicles are pretty useful--just be prepared to see lots of things being cut.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

I don't see it, but you do have the stitch there on the safety pin still? I'd assume so, since I don't see a big run away of stitches.

Otherwise, because you're adding extra stitches--4 is wider than 1--then yeah, it's gonna look a bit funny. When you graft/three needle bindoff/do what you're meant to for the sleeve, that'll disappear. Right now, it's just the extra fabric that's doing it.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Ozma posted:

I know, right?

I haven't looked at the site for a while (can't get it to load here at work) but I wonder if they'll ever put up the beatrix potter patterns again. I'm obsessed with peter rabbit and benjamin bunny. No, really.

But at the same time, I hope they never do for the reason wandering knitter just related. Just out of curiosity: who actually owns size 1 or 2 DPNS? I own straight needles, sure, but the thought of size 2 DPNs actually makes me panic a little.

I've got four sets of 1s and 1.5s, two sets of 2, two sets of 0s. I hate magic loop for socks. Like Bob Shadycharacter said, after a while everything else is huge.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Serenity Dove posted:

I actually just kept both colours live at the same time. So I would change a colour and just keep the thread there, if that makes sense? I'm not sure if that counts as intarsia. It means there's loads of strands at the back but since I'm backing it with fabric I didn't really think that would matter. The thought of having to weave loads of ends in was unbearable. I framed it with 10 stitches of garter on each side and the rest was stockinette. I just made sure I kept everything quite tight so the strands of wool wouldn't dangle off the back but not tight enough to scrunch everything up.

You aren't doing intarsia then; you're doing stranded knitting. I find I prefer stranded to intarsia because there isn't a ton of ends to weave, too. I did one blanket with intarsia--never again!

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Does anyone else get frustrated with the huge quantity of triangle shawls that are really just "knit this one stitch type, switch to a different one for the border?" It's nice to learn how the construction of a triangular shawl works, but it just seems super formulaic. Not saying they're bad, just I want something more interesting, because now that single stitch pattern just bores me to tears. This is sort of inspired by the Knitty 'surprise' shawl pattern, which is a giant garter thing with a lace border.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

The Virgin Mary posted:

I'm glad it's done because the new issue of Vogue Knitting came in the mail today. I'm casting on for this right now.

While the stole is quite pretty, I spent a good few minutes not seeing it because of the model's hair.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

The first book of that series--New Pathways for Sock Knitters--covers both toe-up and cuff-down conversions. It's probably the only thing I really regularly use from that book; her designs really aren't my cup of tea. Cookie's Sock Innovation also discusses how to resize, and it's all cuff-down (plus there isn't a single sock I wouldn't knit in it).

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Wedemeyer posted:

:blush: I hope it's okay to solicit advice here here, but....

I want to make a rainbow scarf that has diagonal stripes in a basic garter stitch. The problem is whenever I switch to a different color there are noticeable, gaping holes between the stripes. pic Homemade pattern

Should I keep going and just close the holes by knotting them together afterwards? Or would it be easier to knit individual colors then sew them with a tapestry needle and extra yarn?

Also, has anyone ever tried knitting a scarf from the long side/horizontally? Apparently it can be done with circular needles, but I don't have any. I wonder if I can make some with dowels, string and a pencil sharpened :raise:

Another option is to make sure you're crossing your strands properly when you switch. If you scroll down a bit, Knitting Help has a great video for how it works on this page. You'll want the intarsia video most likely.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

The bulky weight Suri Dream is fun to work with, and on really big needles to make it lacy can make a pretty big blanket. Pallete is great, and Stroll is always great if you like socks.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Anne Whateley posted:

Or...I could Kitchener the whole thing! Am I the only one sick enough to enjoy Kitchener stitch?

I like Kitchener stitch too. Also, drat. I should just sell the crocheted squid I made out of acrylic to the indies!

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

I finally finished my biggest lace project to date!

The pattern is the Vernal Equinox shawl; I used Skacel merino lace (my absolute favourite lace weight) on size US3 needles. It took me from end of April to June 21st to both finish and block it. This is probably the most proud I've ever been of anything I've done.

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

edit to turn into a thumbnail so it doesn't stretch the page

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Pembroke Fuse posted:

This is really lovely. Very ephemeral. Great work!

I have a super basic question. I'm knitting a long scarf-type thing in stockinette stitch and it's curling into itself on the sides. Is there any way to eliminate the curl when the project is done? Maybe through blocking? Or am I doomed to have a long tube?

(Also, thank you everyone that suggested I turn the chevron pattern sideways. I started charting it out and found that because of certain repeats, it would be a huge headache for me. I'm just knitting the pattern as is; which turns out to be just fine because it's looking pretty spiffy!)

Thanks you.

Like was already mentioned, stockinette just curls. I usually border it with garter stitch on shawls--two stitches on each side works for me. Rib is also good; I'm particularly fond of seed stitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Wedemeyer posted:

When a pattern tells you to "purl6 [yo, p2togetherp1] 4 times, p4" does that mean it carries over onto the next row? All my holes aren't lining up.

If I understand what the instruction says correctly, then no. You should be doing purl 6, then yarn over, purl 2 together, p1 four times, followed by purl 4 at the very end of the row. I'm assuming this is just for one row, and there's nothing in that row (like a slipped stitch or something) that would be required to be dealt with the next row.