Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

effika posted:

Calorimetry headband, from Knitty. I used Classic Elite Beatrice, and it has become my new favorite yarn. Buttery soft merino, and it's nice and tight spun so it hasn't pilled yet.

That's great! Calorimetry bugged me because it was a really really easy pattern but there were some errors in it in my opinion- if you knit it as written it's a HUGE son of a gun.

Love the socks in here too. I still don't have the patience to tackle socks, I'm strictly a scarves-and-purses gal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Sensibletron posted:

unwanted fun fur

WHAT!?!?! There's no such thing!!

Oh Fun Fur, how I love you

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Google Embryo posted:

I'm glad to see that not everyone is using 100% natural fibers. Stitch N' Bitch makes me feel like a douche because I'm always reaching for the acrylic, but you guys make me feel better for being so cheap. Not only am I broke, I also have a mild wool allergy and knitting with it for a long time gives me a rash.

I get SO irritated with people who think you'll burn in hell if you're not using 100% natural stuff.

Sorry folks, but I don't think the world will end if I buy wool-ease or even red heart. :) Yarn snobs bug me! I love really beautiful yarn and am really interested in hand-spun stuff and really respect those who do it. But I knit on a budget PLUS I actually don't mind the feel of acrylics depending on how they are- whereas 100% wool makes me incredibly itchy. I'd rather knit with materials knowing that I'll utilize them whether they're acrylic, cotton, a blend, etc than knit with something just because it's natural-only only to have the item sit in a closet.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

boobookitty posted:

Well, I know that the Stitch 'n Bitch books Happy Hooker and Son of Stitch 'n Bitch books feature projects with synthetics for sure.

I haven't checked out either. :(

There really aren't THAT many yarn snobs that I come across anyway- I think most of us just use what feels comfortable. I've just stumbled into a few in yarn shops that make you feel like total scum if you dare to even look at a Lion Brand product.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

boobookitty posted:

I guess I get a little turned off by acrylic because people who know I'm into the fiber arts tend to give me just whatever acrylic they have lying around or get at a garage sale or whatever.

Yeah, that does happen a lot. I inherited a dead relative's yarn stash- my grandmother thought I'd be overjoyed to get it but my reaction was "thanks but no thanks for giving me 3 boxes full of bright red and green acrylic yarn that smell like old ladies."

Most of the time I don't like getting yarn as a gift anyway, unless the person giving the gift knows to give you several skeins. I have lots of well-meaning family members who get me one skein of yarn that's expensive and pretty but difficult to use because it's only one skein. :( One friend gave me some really interesting alpaca yarn and I started a project with it and had to pay a ton of money to track down more skeins just to finish it.

effika posted:

My go-to yarn for any project (unless it requires felting) is Caron Simply Soft.

Yep, I use a lot of Simply Soft. I used to make all my mario mushroom scarves out of it. :)

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Shnooks posted:

The pattern is Le Slouche(pdf) by Knit and Tonic. It's a super easy pattern that can be changed around and altered for any type of stitch or yarn.

I'm making it! I'm on the hunt for a hat that doesn't look awful on me. I made that cabled rasta hat from stitch and bitch nation and it looks OK on me but it also makes me look like I'm trying hard to be cool. :(

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

boobookitty posted:

I was one of those knitters who started off using by using fun fur, too :blush:. Probably the absolute worst kind of yarn I can think of to begin knitting with.

It's a pain to knit with but when used sparingly or used for really specific projects I think it looks cute. :(

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

I don't know if many of you get the KnitPicks catalog but I just HAD to bitch:

Is it physically impossible for them to put more than one or two appealing sweater/jacket designs in one catalog? I think almost every single one in this one was unflattering. Open it up to the first page and you've got a sweater that looks good on top and completely befuddling on the bottom. I think it mentioned something about "shape flattering knit patterns" but the one they demonstrated made it look like the woman had two saddlebags in front. WTF?

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Stijl Council posted:

I do like KnitPicks' needles, though. They're one of the few places you can get metal DPNs in sets of five that don't cost an arm and a leg.

Yeah, I buy from them but if that's the stuff they pimp from books... yipes! I had WANTED that lingerie knits book before I saw sample patterns in the catalog. :(

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Kalista! I learned 2 years ago that I was twisting MY stitches too.

I've been knitting since I was little. I've been twisting them my WHOLE LIFE. I could never figure out why it seemed so "hard" for me unless I was going in the round.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Lost Mustard posted:

A collage of kitties I made using this pattern: http://geobabe.livejournal.com/195349.html

I made a little knitted version of my kitty with that pattern.

My cat will carry it around with her sometimes, which she does with her toys a lot (we can't tell if she thinks she's carrying a baby or a fresh kill!). It's adorable. :)

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

I love that bag!!! And the flatman scarf is hilarious.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Are you up for sharing the octopus pattern or..."

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

TauntTheOctopi posted:

I got the octopus (and the others I'm planning to do) from http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?ref=sr_list_1&listing_id=12697476

AHA! I knew it seemed vaguely familiar. Too bad it's sold out for some reason (???).

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Micomicona posted:

the GIANT WINE COZY DWARFS THE SURROUNDING FLORA AND FAUNA

Which makes it seem as though there is just enough wine for someone like me. :)

Don't be intimidated by felting. It's lots easier than you might think and the results can be cool.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

TauntTheOctopi posted:

I've been busy since we last spoke. I'm back in my element with toys, although I'm not really happy at the way he turned out.

Pasha from Knitty.

It looks good, though! I've made a bunch of those and it's hard for me to keep from making the belly look wonky no matter how careful I am.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Windy posted:

Do any of you knitters have carpal tunnel? I'm wondering, have you any tricks for working through the pain? Lately I can only knit for about ten minutes, then I have to rest for another 10-15. The scarf I needed for Christmas didn't get done on time because of it :(

Honestly, I never did figure out a solution. It completely sucks because I just don't knit much other than really quick projects these days. I think you honestly just have to take lots of breaks and just keep a timer nearby so you don't get too wrapped up.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

NumbersAndNoise posted:

New finished object: Tom hoodie from Jane Ellison's Queensland Collection 9 in Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride Worsted.

Front:

Click here for the full 480x640 image.

Hot! I need to go whole hog and just knit a hooded sweater for myself one of these days; I've amassed a collection of balaclavas and cowls but they don't do it for me anymore. :(

Hobo Camp posted:

Any Thanksgiving weekend yarn sales?

@ Joann's? Sales, sure. Product, no. I won't buy much from them anymore these days if I can avoid it (I am a psychotic quilter who legitimately holds a grudge against them for a kefluffle last year involving a TOO EDGY QUILTING MAGAZINE- how sad is that?), but their yarn selection hasn't done much for me. Beverley's has been better lately. Even the Ace Hardware store that I go past on my way to work has a better yarn selection than Joann's on most days.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Anne Whateley posted:

This sweater has the charming, euphonious name of Pull #480-T7-260 by Phildar Design Team

NICE.

The quilting mag drama was regarding Mark Lipinsky's magazine, Quilter's Home. It's a quirky little magazine that's obviously geared towards younger folks, and they had an issue dedicated to art quilts- ones with race, sex, and religion as themes. They packaged it in plastic to be safe and Joanne's still refused to carry it because it was "controversial." In the end I think it was a good deal for him- I think it sold out and people like me got subscriptions as a result, so he should be happy they did it. :)

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Do any of you guys do any needle felting?

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Wandering Knitter posted:

I do! :dance:

I highly suggest the needle felting tools made by Clover. Also, be very careful when needle felting if you're holding the item in your hands. :ohdear:

I haven't been holding it in my hands, but I think I'm doing it wrong because even when I'm working it on a piece of foam I'm constantly jabbing myself with the drat needle. :(

I tried to make a little mushroom and it looks, well, like a 2 year old made it or something.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

Oh god don't get it on me, I had some kind of loving brilliant idea to knit all but two christmas gifts...starting mid november. IDIOT.

It's the loving holiday season. It makes us think we can do the impossible. I actually contemplated knitting a baby blanket yesterday for someone and thought "Yeah, I can finish one by Friday if I just work really hard..."

I made myself turn around and march out of the yarn store before I did anything stupid.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

It'll be a faster knit on the circulars anyway. If I'm not doing anything too complicated on circulars, I can knit up blankets fairly quickly.

ps- garter washcloths are fine. :) When I get really bored and want something to do with my hands, that's what I do. I also make doubleknit cotton potholders, but to talk myself into thinking it's more sophisticated than it is, I start from a corner rather than a regular old horizontal row.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Holy poo poo, shrimp and crab shell yarn? My inner Jew recoils!!!!!

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

I'd do a yarn swap but:

I buy super cheap yarn no one wants
It's not organized
I use a tiny bit here and there for other projects so I rarely have a whole skein sitting around anyway

:( Now that I'm thinking about it, though, I want a scarf made of crab yarn. Why does it have to be SOCK yarn? LAME.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

madlilnerd posted:

I told someone this once after they asked me to make them a jumper and the answer I got back was "but you ENJOY knitting! Why should I pay you to do something you enjoy?!"

What if you enjoy painting? Writing? Balancing books? Teaching?

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Dancingthroughlife posted:

E: Should also mention this is my first project ever.

This is how you learn! Trust me, better to figure it out sooner rather than later. I didn't realize I was purling backwards for YEARS.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Purling is harder for me, particularly as I am bad about stitches. They're frequently way too tight.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Do you live in England? No? Then knit the loving AMERICAN way, OK?

I'm super lazy, I'm just making an afghan now in garter stitch, but to at least make it look like I'm not totally lame I'm going at an angle so the lines are sideways.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

The Young Marge posted:

Which makes me curious - how do you guys store your knitting gear?

I have a needle roll that my great-grandmother made for my grandmother and just a giant tote bag for any projects that are in progress. My yarn just goes into big bins under my desk. I actually need to clean up my yarn collection and start purging a bit.

I've made needle rolls for other people; it's a pretty easy project and looks pretty cute, but it's admittedly not a great solution for circular needles if you want it to roll flat and look tidy.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

So, this stitch-n-bitch yarn is red heart?

I'm not a yarn elitist so I don't mind using red heart in the slightest, but I thought it interesting. Does it hold up well?

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Captain Stinkybutt posted:

Completed with poorly lit pictures!

About 8' long and it took me about 4 days on and off. I'm really happy and now I can work on MORE STUFF. Heck yeah.
I have a thing for that yarn too. Is it "Corinthian" or whatever? I have a scarf I knit in seed stitch and a smaller throw, too.

I usually get into a groove with knitting for a couple months at a time, with projects off and on. Then my hands hurt too much and I become a knitting voyeur in this thread. I finished that shroom toque from knitty and am going to do "urchin" too and I imagine that, at that point, I'll be sick of it again.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Captain Stinkybutt posted:

That one is Herb Garden Homespun from Lion on 11 needles CO20 garter stitch. :)

They're kind of similar colorways though so I could see the confusion!

You're right, they are. It's more evident in the image I quoted. I like that one too, Corinthian just has a more reddish tone to it I think.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Shnooks posted:

Things like scarves are boring as hell for me. Something that could probably take me a week to knit takes me over a month .I just made my roommate a scarf that was Row 1: k1, Row 2: k1,p2 and it took me over a month to finish.

I am capable of doing harder work but typically stick with scarves and easy projects because I have two problems when it comes to crafting:

I like really mindless work

I don't like the process as much as the finished product

So if I knit something, I tend to be obsessive about it until it's done. If I do something off and on, it never gets done. I'm worse with my quilting: that's another hobby where being impatient does you a great disservice, but I can't help it. Simple stuff is what I do best.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Dancingthroughlife posted:

Captain Stinkybutt, how did you like working with Homespun? Trying to decide between that and Amazing for a scarf.

It knits pretty fast for me. I've never used my bamboo needles with it, but I'm sure it wouldn't be too bad if you happen to own them. It also softens up a bit after you wash it. It holds up very well, too. I'm wearing a scarf I knitted with homespun about 9 years ago and it looks pretty good considering the abuse it's taken over the years.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

I can't quite tell what it is, but it looks like something I'd do. Are you knitting some stitches backwards?

You guys have talked about ravelry for years but I confess: I just NOW broke down and signed up. Oh my god! I thought it was very different. I've found so many projects. I'm working on Hugs + Squoze (http://blog.craftzine.com/archive/2010/02/new_mochimochi_pattern_hugs_sq.html ) as a last-minute V-Day present for my boyfriend. :)

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Firequirks posted:

I never thought that knitting would be the place that I find a really fantastic web app.

I was thinking the same thing when I signed up. It has interesting levels of interaction: if you just want to look for projects, that's fine. If you just want to post pictures of what you make, that's fine too. Or you can post your own patterns (free or for sale), yarn for swaps, post in groups, talk just about yarn, etc etc.

I wish craftster was set up like that. A thread here on SA is fine for those of us who like to share what we have, but a site devoted to DIY crafts shouldn't have that sort of forum setup, since it makes it difficult to effectively search through projects or just find pattern info. Craftster seems to be about 90% "look at what I made" with no real patterns or crafting information, just pictures that are interesting.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

"Your shop is PERFECT!!!"

God bless Regretsy. Perspective on your handiwork is always good. I know a lot of what I make is total crap (which is why I do not sell it!!), but some of these people... clueless doesn't even begin to describe it. No one wants to buy your first attempt at a doily and no one wants to buy your ~~*faerie inspired*~~ bottle with glitter and puffballs in it, so gently caress off with you.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Never before have I been happy over my lack of crochet skills.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/slinky-ball

Gee, thanks grandma

a slinky ball

super duper!

Actually, I'm forcing myself to learn to crochet but no, I will not make slinky balls. EVER.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Oh my lord. Sorry to link another, but:

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/all-in-one-outfit-w-vest-for-american-girl-doll

...I wasn't a particularly girly girl but when I dreamed of having an american doll, that was NOT what I had in mind.