Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Donna drinks Tab to make her tab purses. You loving know it.

Did you guys get the knitpicks today? Nice to see that hansi singh (sp)- maker of the loch ness, dumbo octopus, and anglerfish patterns- now has a book. Maybe that's old news to the rest of you, but I was pleasantly surprised.

It actually had some feasible patterns elsewhere this time around, which is unique for me. The felted fruit purses were cute and I enjoyed the sock patterns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

madlilnerd posted:

It's a traditional housewarming gift where I come from.

No really, I have no idea. I can only presume that at one point I was knitting a bear. A very small bear...

Sell it on etsy as a voodoo ghost bear. I'm sure an asking price of $20.00 is perfectly reasonable.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

madlilnerd posted:

I was thinking of making less shoddy, more appealing ones (maybe a panda...) and selling them for $3-$6 but now I don't want to :smith:

Although if I took your suggestion, it might end up on Regretsy and that's pretty much a guaranteed sale and $20. Hmmmm.

Awww. :(

It is a guarantee for regretsy in that condition. But a well-made severed bear head might be kind of funny. I mean, I'd buy a PATTERN for it, maybe not the actual object. Do one of a panda with a pool of knitted blood and...

OK, I am into weird knits.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Mochimochiland is great. I just did Hugs + Squoze, and I also bought the patterns for butterfull and sausage dogs.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

I'm not normally a lace person but that's absolutely gorgeous. Great job!

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

madlilnerd posted:

think pot holders are retarded.

Fine! Be that way! I'm not going to show y'all my carrot patch potholder when it's done.

I actually don't know how to BO with double knit. I've never done it before. :(

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

You weren't making me feel bad, I actually agree. Potholders are pretty much the ultimate worthless knit. At least with a toy, you KNOW it's worthless. Potholders are the things you make when you want to pretend you do something useful when you really can't.

I mean, the one I'm making will probably just hang up up the wall in the kitchen, so it's certainly useless. It'll be like all the tea towels I embroider: oh so cute and always perfectly arranged in the kitchen, but I inwardly get a little upset when my boyfriend actually USES them and something gets spilled on them.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Blackish Sheep posted:

Hey you guys, not cool. Toys have some purpose I'm sure of it! Guys? Guys.....?

:(

They're fun to knit and awesome to have around but very rarely do the toys you make on your own have much purpose. That's why I knit more toys than anything else!

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

TauntTheOctopi posted:

Separate your colors onto 2 needles and proceed as though you're doing a 3 needle bind off.

Also, go toys! 90% of what I make. People seem to like them better as gifts compared to other knit items (no pressure to wear them, I guess). They also tend to be more impressed with toys, which is important when your entire motivation in life is praise and attention, like me.

Yeah, don't ask me why I get a zillion more compliments on quick knit toys than I do on clothing items that I slave over.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

I might be interested in buying some from you too, depending on what you have .

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Aardvarklet, the pricing seems fine. I'm a picky knitter though: would you specify if your home is smoking or non? I'm still interested in my order regardless, I just want to know if I need to be messing around with that first.

Here is a link to aardvarklet's SA-Mart thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3281938

I'm OK with linking in DIY forum in general because it's not your average "OMG RENT IS DUE BUY MY DVDS PLEASE" thread. Or I just like yarn so I bend rules to suit myself because I'm a tyrant.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

Well thanks! That's probably at least 50% because I suck at photos. You can't see all the dog hair knitted right in! :)

That's one of the good things about having shorter hair: when I knit now, I don't end up with a project that has half a head of long hair knitted into it. It was GROSS. I grew my hair out to the small of my back and yuch. You don't realize how icky that gets until after it's gone and you're finding hair everywhere.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Ugh, the new knitty. That Emmaline pullover... I get that you want to use a really nice earth friendly yarn, but stockinette with a wobbly yarn like that? Looks BAD. The eyelets just look like mistakes.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

As with anything, it probably depends on a couple of factors.

I knit a purse with one cable on both sides a couple years ago and felted it a little (it still has some stitch definition). I'll attach a picture; sorry there's a doll next to it, this seems to be the only shot I have. But I think it's still more or less identifiable as a cable. I've done other felted things with cables and while I don't think it's worth it to do anything intricate, it does show up on a felted piece and looks interesting.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

The power of suggestion: I saw the link, then saw aardvarklet's post, and STILL clicked knowing that I would be equally tempted. NO NO NO

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Despite my bitching about knitty, I decided to try the Summit Shawl as I'll need a nice shawl for an upcoming formal event and still can't quite get excited about frou frou crap.

Aardvarklet- I'm using the Tulare. Regardless of how this particular project pans out, I love working with it.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Aardvarklet posted:

e: Also, buy more of my yarn, people! We're trying to buy a house!

Maybe in another week or so. I had to lie about your yarn just to get it in the door.

"Oh, I, uh, this is just something some stranger sent me for free or whatever."

:( I'm not 'sposeta be buying any more yarn until I use up the mountains I have already.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

That's a gorgeous shawl.

I was just making Branching Out for my mom for mother's day but now I probably have to ditch it. I hosed up one of my fingers big big big time working on a craft project and can't knit at all. It will take a long time to heal, too, so I doubt I'll be knitting for several months--- or at least, I won't be able to knit much at one time. I tried today and was in agony after one row and realized that my left ring finger apparently DOES have a function when knitting.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Yep, I've tried it and I liked it.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

I finished two projects with aardvarklet's yarn: I THINK I put them in our ravelry group.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Son of a bitch, sorry about that gigantic image. I just now noticed it. I suck.

I don't know if there's a better way but my solution would be to unwind the balls and soak in woolite. But it's not the washing part that will suck- it's the drying. I wonder if you could tie a knot in the end and put it in tumble dry low and just check on it frequently?

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Summit was actually really easy/fun to knit- you memorize the pattern pretty quickly, so it goes by fast too.

I LOVED the Tulare. I think I annoyed my boyfriend by constantly saying "oooh, this is so much nicer to knit with than my normal icky acrylics!"

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

I know, right?

I haven't looked at the site for a while (can't get it to load here at work) but I wonder if they'll ever put up the beatrix potter patterns again. I'm obsessed with peter rabbit and benjamin bunny. No, really.

But at the same time, I hope they never do for the reason wandering knitter just related. Just out of curiosity: who actually owns size 1 or 2 DPNS? I own straight needles, sure, but the thought of size 2 DPNs actually makes me panic a little.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

You guys are so much more hardcore than I.

Smaller isn't harder in terms of skill, but it's harder on my hands. I'm just not suited for delicate work, period.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

It's not the wheel that pisses me off, it's the carefully organized bins of yarn off to the right.

Ohhhh, you think you're hot poo poo with your yarn all put away nicely in organized bins, eh? WELL YOU KNOW WHAT?

SCREW YOU!

I spent several hours last weekend cleaning up my yarn stash only to give up about 75% of the way thru because it was just annoying me to untangle everything. I pretty much throw all the acrylic stuff into one big bin and leave it. Only the nicer yarn is actually put away carefully.

I had read about it in here so it SHOULDN'T have been a surprise but I went to Beverly's last weekend and for a split second I thought "What, they're carrying Noro now?" It was the lion brand stuff. I'm not really a snob about acrylic- I'm also not spellbound by Noro the way some are- but man, it looks gross and FEELS gross as well. I wonder if it will actually "work" to rip it off so blatantly. The people who are fond of Noro wouldn't really be taken in by a lion brand ripoff, right?

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Look Under The Rock posted:

I actually love untangling messes of yarn. It de-stresses me for some reason. I wish people would outsource their stash untangling to me.

I enjoy it to a point. When I spent about an hour detangling one tiny bit of cotton yarn, I started to get a loving headache.

And I'm the same way about throwing away bad yarn. I know I have absolutely no use whatsoever for a ton of it but can't throw it away all the same.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Oh, it gets worse.

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Robinnoel/condom-amulet-bra

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Robinnoel/grr-string

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

I don't make dishcloths but I do make plenty of potholders because we're constantly misplacing them.

I make washcloths on occasion too because I like to have seed stitch washcloths that are nubbly enough to scrub well but airy so I can steam my face a bit with them and still breathe at the same time.

I will never, ever knit underwear or bras. The very notion of having even good yarn on my privates gives me the creeps.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

It looks like a clown threw up? I see one of those horrid crochet dolls that grandmas used to make all the time as cozies for anything from toilet paper to napkin holders.

If I had an ounce of talent, I really would make a clown throwing up a clot of that yarn.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Fooley posted:

Also "uh"'s are unnecessary in text.

Nuh uh. In informal writing they can be used to convey a sense of confusion or can be used purely for illustrative purposes. Uh, at least, I think they can be. ;)

I finally started on my first pair of socks. I can see why people get so into it. There's something very satisfying about turning a heel.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Someone was asking about the SnB Red Heart: I just made a little shawl with my bamboo ewe and I enjoyed working with it and definitely like the end product. I'll see how it ages I guess, but for now I do recommend it.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Look Under The Rock posted:

I'm going to break one, I just know it -- I knit like fast rough sex.

You won't, but what frustrates me about sock knitting is that you have to pay attention to the pattern or note what you've done so you can replicate it. Patterns are more like suggestions for me, I very frequently just wing it as I go along with some sections because I know how stitches will look. When I started socks recently I realized that I probably can't quite do that anymore, lest I end up with one sock slightly bigger than the other because I waited a couple rows to do something.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

It's fine to mention your sale in here. If the CC mods get frumpy I'll take the heat. ;)

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

17 yards is loving criminal.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

TauntTheOctopi posted:

I made some totoros for my boyfriend's birthday yesterday.

ADORABLE. I love Totoro!

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Can you even wear it? I mean, I'd be petrified of having anything happen to it. I'd want to seal it up in a glass case.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

TauntTheOctopi posted:

I usually really like her construction and appreciate how clever it can be, but I really don't see why the ears couldn't be knit in the round.

I wonder that sometimes, too, but then I work smaller toy projects requiring lots of feet and think "jesus christ I never want to make anything in the round again."

I've made the anglerfish and jellyfish from her book and really enjoyed both.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

DEFINITELY a really crazy or interesting yarn.

There are so many different yarns that I'd never get myself, but would love as a gift.

Notions are pretty tricky for me, actually- if I get needles, it's inevitably just size 8 (how is it that I have about 50 sets of that) and stitch markers that I won't really like. But I bet that really varies depending upon the knitter.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

zamiel posted:

I finished the penguin a couple days ago! Still not sure he's 100% right but my bro is in lurve with Tubby. After I took this pic I attached the feet at the front a bit so they weren't all floppy.

Aww, I love that!

Just saw this on craftzine's blog and thought I'd share:

http://blog.craftzine.com/archive/2011/01/craft_pattern_lazy_weekend_swe.html

Looks like a pretty simple pattern with a decent result. I'm putting it on my to do list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

neongrey posted:

Still, with a very large amount of weaving-in ends, I managed to cover up the giant gaping holes.

Welcome to my knitting world!

Sounds like a learning experience, but always keep in mind that you'll sweat the details of every project while the recipient is usually quite thrilled to get neat handmade stuff. ;) She loves it so that's all that matters!