Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

machinegirl
Apr 16, 2002

*sigh*
I seriously suck at taking pictures of my knits. So here's two.

Here is my Calorimetry. I don't mind it being super huge. I have a lot of hair, so it fits okay, actually. It's knit out of SWTC's Karaoke, in a limited color way unique to my LYS. SWTC is located a few miles down the road from the LYS. I haven't seen any of the special color ways in a while, though. :( I wanted to make a matching scarf, and maybe wrist warmers. Ah well.

Here's a crappy shot of my Unbiased. I lined it with a quilter's batik, and also made the bag more rectangular, and the strap super long. It stretched out a lot more than I anticipated, so I'm going to line the strap, too.

I'm working on Cozy, from Knitty in Cascade's Venezia. It's going to end up being really heavy, but really warm too. I'm probably going to start up a pair of socks for my upcoming trip to Las Vegas, because socks are probably easier to knit in a car than a shawl-type object. I'm thinking of Knitty's Broadripple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

machinegirl
Apr 16, 2002

*sigh*

Aery posted:

Do you know the # or name of that colorway? It looks IDENTICAL to some that Kat from SWTC sent me and I love it so much. She put about 4 in there that I haven't been able to find anywhere before or again and it's killing me!

I don't have the tag any more. :( I got it in Decemberish of last year. If it's the same, it will mention Un-EWE-usal on the label somewhere. Unless they weren't labeled. I'm in love with it too, and wish I could find more. I'm due for a trip to my LYS before Friday. I'll take it in and ask, if you'd like!

machinegirl
Apr 16, 2002

*sigh*

kumquatsforall posted:

I just started knitting, and my friend really wanted this hat off of Shanalogic, but didn't want to pay the $35 for it, so I got to work.

As modeled by Tako the Octopus. It no longer looks like a boob thanks to the ruffle, hooray.
I just got a book about knitting stuffed animals, and I'm very excited about that.

That. Is. Sickeningly. CUTE. So much that I must make myself one soon. Also where did you get Tako the Octopus? I have a Tako the Ocotpus-sized hole in my life that needs filling!

machinegirl
Apr 16, 2002

*sigh*

fap posted:

Also anyone have any knitpicks needles? I've got the Harmony Options and I love em! They didn't break the bank (at my LYS, the Boye set was over $100), they're beautiful and easy to use too.

I got them for Christmas, as well as the sock needle set. I haven't used the circs (except for moving a project off my Denise and onto the Knit Picks), but I'm currently using the sock needles. I've got a pair of Broadripple socks, from Knitty on the Knit Picks, and those needles knit way better than the same size Clovers I have a pair of Yoga Socks on. And they're prettier, too!

machinegirl
Apr 16, 2002

*sigh*

Drei posted:

This may be a long shot but I'm working on Knitty's Unbiased and it looks like there's not going to be enough yarn to make the fourth triangle. Does anyone have any leftover sari silk yarn, maybe 50 grams or so lying around? I'd be happy to do a trade. Mine is mostly a dark red but any color is fine, I just don't want to shell out another $20 and not use much of it.

Also I think I want to line the bag, but the last time I tried lining a bag with fabric it was a disaster. I had the idea of knitting the same pieces with a smoother yarn at a tighter gauge and sewing it to the sari silk before assembly, would this work or should I just try the fabric out again and hope I don't ruin the whole thing?

I lined mine with some quilter's batik. You can see my crappy pictures here. It took a while with a sewing machine, and it's not the most perfect of jobs, but it works fine, and keeps the bag from getting stretched out. The handle? Not so much.

I believe eBay has sari silk yarn for pretty cheap. I may have some laying around, but I don't have time to check out my stash right now.

machinegirl
Apr 16, 2002

*sigh*
My socks are a thing a beauty and wonder. Finished them Sunday. Why did I not start knitting sock earlier?? I want to wear handknit socks 24/7!

machinegirl
Apr 16, 2002

*sigh*
Thanks everyone! :D

jomiel posted:

^^^ Those socks look great! What yarn and pattern was it?

The yarn is Cascade Fixation. Yay for cotton. I don't really need wool socks in Phoenix, AZ. :( The pattern is Broadripple from knitty. Pretty easy for my first sock that's not Fuzzy Feet sock!

machinegirl
Apr 16, 2002

*sigh*

Genpei Turtle posted:

Knitting in dirty places

This is why I love my drawstring bags from Ravelry. The yarn comes out the top with the string of the bag around my right wrist. If I'm waiting for my ride to work, the project bag goes in my purse to the right of where I'm sitting.

I'm currently working on a Clapotis in SWTC's Bamboo during lunch at work. Two days in, and so far, not a single person has commented on my knitting. Strange. I'm used to someone at work at least asking me about it as soon as the knitting comes out.

machinegirl
Apr 16, 2002

*sigh*

Brazilian Werewolf posted:

NO I WAS TOTALLY WORRIED ABOUT IT TOO but it's because we're used to like, tiny stretchy socks. I gave them to my boyfriend and they seemed GIGANTIC but they fit him perfectly and he loves them to death, so no worries.

I have the opposite problem knitting socks for my girlfriend. I'm 5'10 and wear a size 11 shoe, and she's 5'3 and wears a size 5 shoe. I'm looking at this sock thinking "there is no way in hell this tiny thing is going to fit on her foot." and then she tries it on and it fits perfectly! A plain, mid-calf stockinette sock for her takes up LESS THAN HALF a ball of Tofutsies. Sweeeet. She's getting socks for EVERYTHING EVER.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

machinegirl
Apr 16, 2002

*sigh*

Fooley posted:

I got a book with some cool sock patterns, but I have big manfeet. Is there a guide to scaling up?

Also, this Soak stuff that they started selling on ravelry. Do you mix it with the water when you block, so it smells nice after?

I have big ladyfeet. I just keep doing repeats until I reach the beginning of my toes. The sock toe and any stretch in the yarn make for a snug, but not stifling, fit.