Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Yes, please, I would say all fiber arts are welcome here!

There are some really lucky gift recipients upthread, wow!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Speaking of spinning and dyeing, I completed my second sweater of the year Saturday.

The oatmeal color is a blend of merino and camel down that I made with a cheap blending board from Etsy then spun on an Electric Eel Nano wheel and plied on a spindle. The red and greens are american merino all spindle spun and plied. I like the wheel OK but really love spinning on a spindle.

I get my roving from RH Lindsay which has been awesome because I can get enough to spin a sweater from but it isn't super expensive and they let you get as little as a pound. This sweater weighs a tiny bit over a pound. The yarn weight is dk/worsted depending on where you measure.

I might be addicted to making my own sweaters. This one I started in May, but took a break to make my husband some hats. I really love all of the steps, especially the ones that have wet roving or yarn drying in the sun.

Awkward christmas bathroom selfie:

Sirius Jayne posted:

Fantastic! Thanks for the insight. I was fortunate enough to get a Jenkins Swan spindle, and I think I’ll give that a go. Right now I’m knitting Christmas Balls with Arne & Carlos, but once we get past the new year I’m planning a spinning holiday (ok a long weekend to play with fiber). I may or may not have already fallen down the rabbit hole of preparing my own fiber. My black lab is blowing his coat and as I’m brushing off his weight in fur nightly, I’m eyeing it, wondering if i should stash it in a bag somewhere until I come across something pretty but maybe too slick for me and wondering how adding a pinch of lab would turn out. . . I will NOT dye my own fiber. There. I said it. Now if I go back on that I’m a liar. I hate liars! Hahahaha

Dyeing really is great. My dyeing equipment is a metal colander, pot and lid all from Goodwill. I paid under tenbux for it all. I wrote "for dye only" on them in sharpie, and I just steam away on the stovetop. Sometimes I get great results, sometimes I get mud or unexpected combos, but that can be over-dyed too :devil:

I have a bag of my late dog's undercoat that I will spin someday. I don't have a lot, so I haven't committed to anything with it, but I am glad I thought to keep it. If you can gather yours, why not!

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Thanks everyone! Fiber stuff is the only creative thing I could bring myself to do during this stressful rear end year. Especially spindle spinning felt really meditative and in the moment. And also something you can do outside while drinking beer which helped.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

It was closed. Someone should start a new one or maybe mods can re-open the old one?

I would start one but I have 0 experience with actual spinning wheels.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

That is a really beautiful gradient

I cast on a sweater Monday and am hauling rear end to get it done by Sunday. Hopefully my hands still work after

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

That is awesome! Well done

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

What do they like to knit? I just bought some Brava from Knitpicks for dog sweaters and it seems real nice. It is 100% acrylic.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

If they only use straight needles, a flat knit hat pattern like this would be a good next step:

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/flat-hat-4

And I didn't even really consider the environmental impact of acrylic yarn, yikes. I use 99% wool and spin most of that myself now. I have not gotten around to spinning any plant based fibers, but I want to try some of the more exotic ones like banana and rose.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

effika posted:

Easy knitting! Age of Brass and Steam Kerchief, using McMullin Fiber co Posh DK in Honeycomb. It's snuggly and warm!

That is gorgeous!

I gifted the sweaters I made for my dog and her two best friends today. They are so cute and such compatible doofuses. I do have to say I really don't like acrylic yarn though! This was knitpicks brava as I mentioned upthread. It felt soft and is a good easy weight, but as I knitted it, I found it splitty with none of the wooly ways to make it stick to itself. I am a confirmed yarn snob and love wool above all. That said, they turned out cute and are machine washable which is a huge plus for dog sweaters.

HungryMedusa fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Dec 24, 2021

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Lovely shawl. All these socks are making me want to try some - I never have!

I went to a fiber fest this weekend and picked up some Blue Sky Woolstok worsted. As a yarn snob, this stuff is great for how inexpensive it is! Nice and soft and will make some kick rear end hats.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

Testing out photo thing - I had legit stopped even trying as I couldn't get imgur to work for me at all for more than a year.

Not been doing much knitting this year as I've been trying to spin down my fiber stash - this will of course lead to a similar issue with yarn stash next year but that's a problem for future me.

Did you spin that? The colors are great

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I have a ball of dark brown Fishermans Wool I have not used - in my opinion it is extremely rough and I couldn't use it against my skin

I made some hats from Blue Sky Woolstok and that seems like it has OK softness bang for the buck.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I am working on an Alpine Bloom sweater and am really hoping to knock a big chunk out of the body this weekend

Bonus in the pic, the Ashford traddy a college friend got me hooked up with. I need to get spinning on her soon - my first wheel!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

It is lace that was part of the pattern - I was a little scared because I am not a great lace knitter! The pattern as a whole is really fun, the sleeves also end in it but you need to graft it on which I am bad at so we will see!

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

What yarn did you end up going with?

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Mad Hamish posted:

Patons Classic Wool, worsted, in Heath Heather which is a nice greyish-brown. Entertainingly, it's almost the exact colour as some alpaca my girlfriend just finished plying.

How did this go? I finished my sweater and am wearing it tomorrow for Easter. Liked the pattern so much I am doing a second with a chart I designed for the yoke. I have so many other projects I need to finish but cant stop knitting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Aerofallosov posted:

Yup! Don't mind the goober wearing the sweater. I made the sleeves a little bit shorter because I mismeasured, but it is nice I won't have to worry about catching things with a long sleeve.

Love this!