Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stijl Council
Jun 16, 2003

Hip to be Squares

Ozma posted:

I don't know if many of you get the KnitPicks catalog but I just HAD to bitch:

Is it physically impossible for them to put more than one or two appealing sweater/jacket designs in one catalog? I think almost every single one in this one was unflattering. Open it up to the first page and you've got a sweater that looks good on top and completely befuddling on the bottom. I think it mentioned something about "shape flattering knit patterns" but the one they demonstrated made it look like the woman had two saddlebags in front. WTF?

I think a lot of it is their yarn substitutions, or maybe their models. Off the top of my head, they've recently had their version of sweaters from Stefanie Japel's book (Fitted Knits) and Veronik Avery's book (Knitting Classic Style) that look horrendous in the catalog. But in both books, they look like terrific designs --- I desperately covet both of the ones they've featured --- and it's not like the models in the books are emaciated or seem oddly proportioned.

I do like KnitPicks' needles, though. They're one of the few places you can get metal DPNs in sets of five that don't cost an arm and a leg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stijl Council
Jun 16, 2003

Hip to be Squares

jomiel posted:

^^ that looks great!

I'm looking at these bamboo needles on Amazon: circular & DP. These seem like a good deal--and I wouldn't need to buy a straight needle set because I can just flip my work on the circulars around, right? Is there ever an instance when I'd want to use single point needles?

17" is kinda short for circulars IMO. But the price is really good. Just be aware that if you want to knit a sweater in the round, or work back and forth on a blanket or something similarly gigantic, you'll probably need to get some with larger cables.