Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

edit: sorry, drat my husband for not logging out. my post is below.

coconono fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jan 8, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

starshaped posted:

Glad to see more spinners! I started off on a spindle back in 2004 but didn't really get the hang of it until sometime in 2006. I bought a wheel, an Ashford Traditional, in 2007 sometime and I've spun mainly fingering weight yarn with it.

My wheel. I bought it from a woman in town who restores wheels, so I got this one for a good price. I love this thing.

400ish yards of 100% superwash wool I gave to my mom for Christmas. A friend of mine dyed it.

Another 400ish yards of some unidentified roving I got from a friend after I bought my wheel. It's pretty scratchy but I love the colors.

Those are some of the most beautiful handspun I've seen in a long time. I'll take pictures in a couple days, I just had oral surgery earlier this morning and probably couldn't hold a camera. My handspun isn't so good, it's pretty thick and thin, and some parts of it didn't spin at all. I think I'm over spinning in some parts and underspinning in others. I'm determined to make a good batch though!

Kalista posted:

Whoo, more handspinners! The 2020 yards of lace shetland that I finally finished plying over the weekend is now drying. The whole thing was an experiment in taking raw fleece to the final product. I was swearing I would never ever ever do it again when I was covered in grease and sheep mud/poo poo up to my elbows and my apartment smelled like a barn, but watching the fleece turn into fluffy white balls of fiber and then eventually into beautiful creamy lace makes it almost a repeatable experience!

Are you a spindler, or have a wheel, or both? Personally, I couldn't get the hang of a spindle for the life of me, and went right to a Lendrum wheel.

I've used a good deal of stuff from Knitpicks, I love their metal Options set, and I'm considering buying another set of tips, since I always have too many things on the needles at once. Keep an eye on your order status though, since I read on Ravelry that the Harmonys have been on back-order and they don't always email you to let you know that.

I've got a bottom whorl drop spindle from Annie May. It's pretty well balanced and it came with some really nice batts to practice on. I've also got a rougher Corridale (?) wool and some Tussah Silk to spin up. I'd buy a wheel if I could afford it :( I'm thinking the results would be more consistent. I wanted to spin from wool thast I washed and picked, but my husband said he didn't want the mess and the smell in the house. I'd love to try carding though, it looks fun!

As far as knitpicks goes, I'm not too happy with the speed of my first order, but I understand that they're moving to a new warehouse. I was reading on ravelry today where some chick threw a hissy fit over it. Too much work, it'll all work out in the end. Plus they shipped my order on the 8th :dance: I also picked some noro up off ebay, now I just need the other color for the Noro Striped Scarf I want to selfishly make for myself :p
Another vote for Antis0ciald0rk. You make very cute stuff :)