Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Mitten
Aug 26, 2004
Intuition as guided by experience

jomiel posted:

^^ that looks great!

I'm looking at these bamboo needles on Amazon: circular & DP. These seem like a good deal--

I have the set of 7" DPNs. So far, they have been working great. The smaller ones are a little too bendy for my taste, though I generally prefer aluminum needles. I have also found the points to be just a touch rough in places. Can't beat the price though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Mitten
Aug 26, 2004

Drei posted:

From a while back:

Do you have any advice for how to go about lining the bag? I'm almost done and I still can't find a very good tutorial. I'm a bit nervous about it because last time I tried lining a bag I totally ruined it.

I used this tutorial link: http://www.futuregirl.com/craft_blog/2008/01/tutorial-sew-lining-for-crocheted-bag.html

Mine came out pretty good for my first time. I could have sewn it to the bag better, but hand sewing has always been a pain for me.

Bad Mitten
Aug 26, 2004
Tent and Anniversary sale at Webs in Northampton, MA this weekend! They will also have local farmers selling fleeces and their own yarn nearby. If you are within a few hours, you should make the trip. It's about a 2 hour drive from NH for me. I went to their sale last time and made out like a bandit.

Bad Mitten
Aug 26, 2004

Anne Whateley posted:

2. What yarn should I use? I can't get to an upscale LYS, but I really want to avoid Red Heart or anything similar. What's the best yarn I can get at a store like Jo-Ann Fabrics or Michaels?

Have you looked at Knitpicks.com? It's not a local store, but they sell wool in lots of colors for starting at 1.99 a skein. I bought the color cards to keep as reference. They were cheap, a few bucks. I have been pleased with what I have gotten from them so far.

Bad Mitten
Aug 26, 2004

jomiel posted:

Thanks for the suggestion. Their yarn colors on the website looks so dark that I've been afraid of ordering :(

They do seem to lack pastels. But, that isn't my taste for the most part.

Bad Mitten
Aug 26, 2004

elbow posted:

So I'm making this entrelac scarf, really simple, but I've come across something I just don't get.

I'm at the first all-block row now, which started on the WS. The pattern says to pick up and purl 7 stitches, but how am I supposed to do that? Do I pick up one, move it to the left needle and purl it, pick up the next one, move it to the left needle and purl it? Right now I'm just picking them up and not purling them, since the squares are more like rectangles anyway, I figure the fewer rows the better, but am I doing this horribly wrong?

Pick up the loops with your left needle, it's a lot easier.

Bad Mitten
Aug 26, 2004
Yep, you still have to purl them, if only to provide a base for your next row of knitting.

Bad Mitten
Aug 26, 2004

Pile of Kittens posted:

My favorite pair of needles is a pair of aluminum 8s, and one of them has a very bent tip from my friend trying to jimmy his window with it.

My favorite pair of needles is also a pair of green aluminum 8s. Mine were my grandmothers. They must have been her favorites as well, the finish is all worn off on the tips.

Bad Mitten
Aug 26, 2004

Phishi posted:

Exactly the input I was looking for, thank you! Now if only the Options set had a 16 or 17" cable... but they've only got 24 and up.

Get the longer cables. Once you go Magic Loop, you never look back. I bought a full set of DPNs that I regret now that I've tried magic loop on circulars.

Bad Mitten
Aug 26, 2004

elbow posted:

Plus I'm a complete retard when it comes to pinning the item to the towel; it all looks great just after I've pinned it, but I come back an

It's a shame, because I know that all of my knitted items have come out looking much nicer after I block them.

Protip: buy some interlocking foam mat squares. I bought mine at Target in the back to school section. I have also seen them in the kids section in the form of a hopscotch mat. You can put them together in various configurations, whether to block a long scarf or a sweater. They stack to store easily. Best of all, they don't hold onto the water as much as a towel, so stuff dries much faster. I even aim a fan at my item to speed up the process. I generally can block a scarf in the evening and have it ready to go by morning.

Mine is solid, but along the idea of this: Foam Play Mat

Bad Mitten
Aug 26, 2004

guaranteed posted:

I got a set of the Harmony circulars from knitpicks.com. The wood is kind of garish to my eye, but the cables are very nice and flexible, and I already had a lot of metal circulars in common sizes. They've worked well for me so far.

I have the Harmony set, and I couldn't love them more. I already have every size in circs and DPNs but, I haven't used any other needles since these arrived in the mail. I have since gone on to buy the other sizes of tips and cables so I would have the complete set. I have heard that some people find them too pointy, but I like a pointy needle. I am seriously considering getting the metal tips, too. As a side note, the Harmony fixed sock circs are pretty awesome, too.

Bad Mitten
Aug 26, 2004

Look Under The Rock posted:

Today I had a Yarn Snob Moment -- I am teaching my boyfriend's six-year-old to knit and she began playing with the cat by teasing him with my brand-new ball of Lamb's Pride. She's totally oblivious, just throwing it around the room and I'm feeling my sphincter tighten and I'm going "Wait Lily, that's actually nice yarn, take this instead..." and start looking around for some acrylic...

...and couldn't find any. I didn't want to be one of those annoying uptight people who get all up in arms when you touch their nice yarn, but I really didn't want the cat chewing on my Noro or Lamb's Pride and I just didn't have any crappy yarn around.

Curses.

I had that same moment twice this week. My nephew came to me asking for yarn I didn't need to use in a weaving project for art class. My initial reaction was "But I need all of it!!!!" Even though my stash numbers over 300 skeins at the moment. My next reaction was "I'm not giving up my hand-dyed wools, silks and alpacas to be covered in glue and tempera paint" But after consideration, I did find a few skeins of fun fur and some other novelty skeins that I was unlikely to use, and even a few ends of my nice skeins . And it felt good to be rid of them.

Today, I visited my mum for her bday. She offered me a garbage bag full of yarn that was my grandmothers. Had to be at least 30 to 40 skeins. All acrylic. UGH. I took it though. I have no idea what I'm going to do with it all. All acrylic sport weight in garish 60s and 70s colors.

I can't help being a yarn snob. It's one of the few areas where I can actually afford the nicest stuff available (except quivit). It's my only luxury

Bad Mitten
Aug 26, 2004

Aardvarklet posted:

Hahaha, this cracks me up because last night I had a dream that I was at a craft fair and was trying to decide between teeny tiny skeins of qiviut. The whole time I was trying to brainstorm with my mom about what we could make from 20 yards of the stuff.

I've never actually seen any in person, does your LYS carry it? I've only read about it/heard the legends.

I haven't seen it in person. I think yarnmarket.com carries it. I usually shop online, or make the 2 1/2 hour trek to Webs (yarn.com) when I need yarn. I don't think they have any. From what I have seen you can get a ball of lace weight for about $80 to $100. Thank goodness I am not a lace knitter (yet).
I also think that donating the acrylic is a nice idea. I have also considered redying it and knitting some charity items as well. If I push it, I can knit 4 worsted hats in a weekend.

Bad Mitten
Aug 26, 2004

Kusaru posted:

This may be a hard question. I have a friend who is pregnant and is a vegan and general animal lover. I would like to knit her some baby things! Does anyone have any yarn suggestions for nice feeling cotton, small-scale humane animal farms that provide wool, or anything like that? I remember once her being wary of buying a wool coat, so it would have to be something that is provably from a "good" place.

You can find handspun, hand dyed yarns on etsy.com. Some are also from small farms, so they are sheared, spun and dyed by the same person. I don't knit with cotton, so I don't have any suggestions to offer. Just out of curiosity, what problem did she have with the wool coat? It doesn't hurt the sheep to be sheared, after all.

Bad Mitten
Aug 26, 2004

Talise posted:

Even better, you can order a set of 40" cables for 3.99. and then magic loop EVERYTHING. I'm currently using magic loop to make a beret, and I find it much less fiddly than working properly in the round on 24" circular needle as is suggested by the pattern.

Get the 47" cable, too. Those extra seven inches make all the difference for me. When I first started knitting socks magic loop two at a time, I really had trouble. When I got to turning the heel, I had so little free cable on either side that I kept pulling it in. I had to put a stitch marker to mark the sides. But on a 47" I have loads of play. I bought a full set of harmony fixed circs in the small sizes in 40", then went back and ordered them all again in 47". And then, ordered them a third time in 47" and nickle plated. I probably will end up replacing all of my harmony tips with nickle plated.

Bad Mitten
Aug 26, 2004

Anne Whateley posted:

If they're from the same dye lot, and they don't specifically tell you that every ball is a super-unique handpaint that can never be matched, and the skeins look identical when you hold them up together, I would just go for it. If all those things are true, then chances of a striking difference are low enough that I personally wouldn't find it worth the extra effort of switching every row. That said, if you're the play-it-safe type and you hate frogging, it can't really hurt.

IIRC, Dream in Color doesn't have dye lots. What I would do is start a swatch with the end of your first ball then switch to the new ball halfway. If you can't tell where the join is, you are good. If you notice a difference, then alternate skeins for about 2 inches before using the new one. It would depend on the pattern, if you want to carry it along the edge or cut it and weave it in on every change.

Bad Mitten
Aug 26, 2004

Molly Bloom posted:

Following the shawl incident, I have prepared everything for my first steek tomorrow.

I may die.

I haven't tried steeking yet. I have half knit a scarf that will eventually need to be steeked but I put it away because the Harrisville felt like brillo. You must post a trip report on steeking. For science and knitting.

Bad Mitten
Aug 26, 2004

madlilnerd posted:

How many of you buy your yarn from independent retailers and Etsy stores?

I buy the vast majority of my yarn from Webs(https://www.yarn.com) and my local LYS. I also have several skeins purchased at fairs and festivals that are by indie dyers/spinners. I got to Michaels, Joanns or Ac Moore only as a last resort.

Bad Mitten
Aug 26, 2004

Klams Jam posted:

I've decided what I'm going on to next - the Noro striped scarf. So pretty!
http://brooklyntweed.blogspot.com/2007/04/noro-scarf.html

I'm going for 211, 234 and 236. I just hope it looks as awesome as the other ones I've seen. http://www.getknitted.com/acatalog/info_NO_SG.html

I have made two. My advice, keep knitting even if the colors don't seem to be gelling in the first few inches. They will work themselves out and it will look great.
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/BadMitten
These are mine on Rav. I also recommend the Multi-directional scarf for Noro.

Bad Mitten
Aug 26, 2004

madlilnerd posted:

Why do I always forget that stocking stitch is poo poo for scarves because it makes them roll up?!

If you really love stockinette, you can still do a scarf. Just add a border of garter on either side, just 3 to 5 stitches wide will help with the curl.

Bad Mitten
Aug 26, 2004

Klams Jam posted:

I finished my Noro Scarf!

I love all the colours and can't wait till it's cold enough for winter woolies to wear it!

That looks great! Don't worry about the curve, it won't be noticeable if you put the short side against your neck. You can even call it a "design feature". Be careful, these scarfs become addicting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Mitten
Aug 26, 2004

Pucklynn posted:

loving colorwork.

Are you doing some demented stranding/intarsia combo? Why so many little balls of the same color? If you really need the individual balls yarn bobbins will save your sanity.