Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

guaranteed
Nov 24, 2004

Do not take apart gun by yourself, it will cause the trouble and dangerous.
I haven't advanced all that far into the knitting world, but back when I first picked it up in high school, I had a book that had you just make garter stitch squares with one strand of white and one of various colors held together. You could either use them as pot holders or sew them together for a nice thick afghan. I wonder where that went...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guaranteed
Nov 24, 2004

I think the difficulty was what she was referring to.

guaranteed
Nov 24, 2004

I got a set of the Harmony circulars from knitpicks.com. The wood is kind of garish to my eye, but the cables are very nice and flexible, and I already had a lot of metal circulars in common sizes. They've worked well for me so far.

guaranteed
Nov 24, 2004

Antis0ciald0rk posted:

Is anyone else thinking about participating in Lion Brand's current knit-along? http://blog.lionbrand.com/2008/11/13/join-us-for-our-knit-along-and-get-the-pattern-free/

The pattern is only free until 11/27/08.

I'm not sure if it's something I would wear, but I'm going to have a lot of time off for the holidays and I could certainly use a nice, challenging project that could be a potential gift for someone else.

I'm mad about that, because I bought that pattern and made the sweater a couple months ago. Of course it's been sitting in my to-be-seamed pile because somehow I never get around to that part. For all I know, it'll turn out to be too small or something.

guaranteed
Nov 24, 2004

I just happened to run across this octopus on Ravelry, if you want to buy the pattern for $6:
http://www.moltingyeti.com/shop/pulpo.html

guaranteed
Nov 24, 2004

TSA posted:

Knitting needles are permitted in your carry-on baggage or checked baggage. However, there is a possibility that the needles can be perceived as a possible weapon by one of our Security Officers. Our Security Officers have the authority to determine if an item could be used as a weapon and may not allow said item to pass through security. We recommend the following when bring knitting needles on an airplane:

* Circular knitting needles are recommended to be less than 31 inches in total length
* We recommend that the needles be made of bamboo or plastic (Not Metal)
* Scissors must have blunt points
* In case a Security Officer does not allow your knitting tools through security it is recommended that you carry a self addressed envelope so that you can mail your tools back to yourself as opposed to surrendering them at the security check point.
* As a precautionary measure we recommend that you carry a crochet hook with yarn to save the work you have already done in case your knitting tools are surrendered at the checkpoint

This makes it sound like the small amount of metal in the wooden Harmony needles is not likely to be a problem. Personally, I wouldn't take interchangeables on a flight anyway. If you did lose them to security, it would wreck the set. I'd just invest in a plastic or bamboo pair specifically for the flight.

e: I do find that kind of funny, though. I suppose metal needles might be stronger than wooden, but the Harmony ones at least are much sharper-pointed than any metal needles I have. Seems like bamboo straight needles would be a better way to go if you're trying to avoid injuries with them, rather than a garrote with sharp, pointy ends.

guaranteed fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 30, 2008

guaranteed
Nov 24, 2004

Rockets posted:

So after the first 38 stitches (it's 80 stitches in total I think), I flip over as if I'm at the end of the row and knit in the other direction?

No, you work the pattern all the way across the row, and when you're done, there will be 42 stitches remaining on your needle total.

In other words, you knit 2 stitches, then you do the k1, p3tog all the way across until there are only two stitches to go, knit those, and you should have 42 on the right needle.

guaranteed
Nov 24, 2004

Malleus Maleficarum posted:

I also use DPNs for round projects, but it's because I can't stand the feel of circs. I have a blanket on circulars right now and I can't even stand to work on it because of all that loopy bullshit.

If you're talking about the cables looping around and causing problems, try the KnitPicks ones. The cable is much more supple and doesn't curl up the way the cheaper store ones do.

guaranteed
Nov 24, 2004

Yeah, I was going to get rid of my Susan Bates needles entirely, until it occurred to me that I could use them to hold projects I wasn't working on at the time. They're a royal pain.

guaranteed
Nov 24, 2004

You're doing great! That's the look of every row a knit stitch, usually called garter stitch in the US. When you learn to do purling, you'll knit a row, then purl a row, and you'll get the look you're looking for. Keep it up!

guaranteed
Nov 24, 2004

Circulars are easier, but DPNs are worth gaining the skills on, in my opinion. I used to have a lot of trouble with them until I switched from metal to bamboo needles and the stitches stopped dropping off the other end so easily. Once you're good at it, it's nice to have the option. I usually choose a circular if I can possibly work the stitches smoothly without straining, but DPNs otherwise because I just find magic looping annoying.

guaranteed
Nov 24, 2004

I do virtually everything on various Options circs from knitpicks.com now. I don't want to come off sounding like a fangirl or something, but the cables are much more flexible than the cheap kind you get from the store. They have sharper points than the cheap ones, too, which I like but some people might find annoying, depending on their knitting style. They have three different kinds of tips -- metal, wood, and acrylic. I haven't tried any of the metal ones because I still have so many storebought metal needles, but I would assume they're the slippiest. The wood ones are very nice, lightweight and almost as slippy as metal because they're laminated, and then the acrylic are just a bit stickier. They're see-through, though, which is cool but also can take a little getting used to when you're trying to count stitches. I still prefer bamboo DPNs, though, because the stitches stay put a lot better.

guaranteed
Nov 24, 2004

Well, I'll be darned. How weird is that?

guaranteed
Nov 24, 2004

One good exercise I learned years ago is to stop once an hour and take five minutes to stretch by putting one arm out in front of you, palm up, and then use your other hand to press your fingers down and back, hold for a bit, then switch arms. You can feel it pulling in your wrists. Don't hurt yourself, but bend your hand back till you can feel it. Over time, you'll be able to stretch further. I can't say whether that stretch is responsible, but I have remarkably little trouble with my wrists on all but the very busiest days.

guaranteed
Nov 24, 2004

Number 8s are a good basic needle to have for worsted weight yarn. Try browsing some of the yarn company sites for free patterns. Some patterns are quite nice, others are not so good. I know lionbrand.com has patterns for pillows and things, and I'm sure others do too.

guaranteed
Nov 24, 2004

Well, that gets a little complicated. Basically, if a pattern calls for size 7 needles, you can probably adjust for it by using a lighter yarn and/or knitting tighter than average, and if it calls for 9s, you can probably use a little heavier yarn. Basically you need to find the gauge in the pattern (something like 24 stitches to 4 inches) and see if you can knit to that size. Otherwise you have to add and subtract stitches, and that's something that some people are really good at and others aren't. Personally, I'm blessed with enough needles that I use the needles that give me gauge instead of trying to do it the other way around.

Of course, all that applies to things like sweaters that have specific sizes. If you're just knitting an afghan or a pillow, it hardly matters. Your stitches might be tighter or looser than the example, but it'll still be a pillow.

If you find you need a certain size needles and really can't afford them, you could try asking here. I don't have a lot of extras, but I do have some I don't use much. Or ask for some for Christmas. The Options sets discussed above are really nice, and on sale now if you know anyone looking for a present for you.

guaranteed
Nov 24, 2004

Yeah, get ready for two crochet hooks and a crochet pattern book, some ugly yarn, and something else "cute" that was at the yarn store.

It's pretty easy to find free patterns for mittens and hats in all sorts of needle sizes. Just browse around. Knitty has lots of good patterns, too.

guaranteed
Nov 24, 2004

Mnemosyne posted:

I failed at Magic Loop and using two circulars until I realized the problem was that I was trying to use craptastic cheap circulars (Susan Bates and Boyd). On the cheap ones, the cords are so stiff that they just coil back up onto themselves and get all tangled and it's a pain. I know some people manage to make it work with them, but as a very new knitter who was teaching myself with only the internet for guidance, I couldn't do it. I took the cheap ones back and sprang for some of the Knit Picks interchangeable needles, and now Magic Loop is easy as pie.

Yeah, I never got magic loop at all until I learned it by accident with the KnitPicks needles. On another beginner's note, if you're going to be learning double-pointed needles, I strongly recommend bamboo over aluminum, as the metal ones are so dang slippery and heavy it's hard to keep from dropping stitches. Bamboo is lighter and much stickier.

guaranteed
Nov 24, 2004

OK, did you cast on the right number of stitches and divide them between four needles?

guaranteed
Nov 24, 2004

OK, so before you put the needles around in a circle, the tail is at one end and the working yarn is at the other, right? So when you bring the needles around in a circle, you want to join it into a circle by knitting the first stitch you cast on. At that point the working yarn and the tail will be at the same place. After this you're just going to go around and around in a long spiral, always in the same direction. Make absolutely certain the stitches aren't twisted on the needles -- the cast-on edge should be at the bottom all the way around and not wound around the needles, or you'll have to rip the whole thing out later.

guaranteed
Nov 24, 2004

February Lady is pretty easy, but I highly recommend using lots of stitch markers to mark off small sections of repeats in the lace so you can see right away if you've gone wrong, and writing down or otherwise keeping careful track of which row you're on. I haven't done a lot of lace and I had to frog a couple of times before I really got into the swing of things.

guaranteed
Nov 24, 2004

How stupid is that? I could do a lot more damage with my nice sharp KnitPicks needles than I could with either scissors or the cutter thingy. Oh well, at least we can defend ourselves if a hijacker ever acts up on our plane, I guess.

guaranteed
Nov 24, 2004

I don't have any that small, but I just let my bigger ones warp. It hasn't caused me any problems yet.

guaranteed
Nov 24, 2004

Is this the same stuff?
http://www.marymaxim.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10054_3074457345616708054_-1_15019_15020

It looks like it's on sale.

guaranteed
Nov 24, 2004

I just queued this yesterday, though I like it best with high-contrast colors. e: of course it's not actually a cardigan, sorry.

I'm undecided about this one: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/16-button-yoke-cardigan

guaranteed
Nov 24, 2004

Windy posted:

I'm in need of a decent men's scarf pattern. I looked through ravelry but there aren't too many(free patterns) that caught my interest other than this one because it doesn't appear to be too bulky. I'd love any suggestions if you've got 'em.

I'm doing this one in alpaca for the red scarf project, and it is so squishy and nice I'm going to do another for me and another for my husband when I finish it.

guaranteed
Nov 24, 2004

I didn't know they had DPNs that short. They'd be nice for all the mitten thumbs I'm going to wind up doing before Christmas. I have a set of their sock needles, and they're 6".

guaranteed
Nov 24, 2004

Captain Stinkybutt posted:

I'll have to post pictures later, but the grab bag has more eyelash yarn than I will ever use. Somehow, though, I don't hate it. There's also some shiny yarn and some pretty spool of a jumbly white maybe sport? weight yarn. It's not a bad grab bag, it's just surprising. Now to figure out what in the world to do with fire orange/yellow eyelash yarn!

Ooooo! Ooooo!

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/fiery-dragon-scarf
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/chinese-luck-dragon-scarf

Not sure if that second one uses eyelash or not, but it's still cute.[url][/url]

guaranteed
Nov 24, 2004

zamiel posted:

:circlefap: I am so in love with this ball of yarn...damnit japan! Is there a name for that style where it's got a MC and then a CC ply that goes from one color to another? Only thing I've seen like that is Caron Shadows but it's acrylic and I don't like how it feels.

Crystal Palace Taos does that. I know I've seen others, but I can't think of them right now.

Roflex posted:

So I was helping my neighbor run some errands and while waiting for her to come out of the bookstore I noticed an AC Moore. Didn't even know there was one in town, so I went in, and...

:woop: :woop:

Got 3 skeins. Probably don't need more than 1.5 of them but you never know.

Well, what do you know. Don't you love it when things work out?

guaranteed
Nov 24, 2004

Try soaking them with a bit of hair conditioner. I haven't tried it, but I've heard it suggested before.

guaranteed
Nov 24, 2004

On the subject of double-points, I have vowed to never knit on metal dpns again, as they're just too heavy and slippery for my knitting style. If some poor goon is in need of metal needles, I'm happy to send them out. I have a set of four #2 (2.75mm) silver, a set of 4 #3 silver, and a set of four #8 blue needles.

guaranteed
Nov 24, 2004

FelicityGS posted:

Try them after you've knit on double points for a while. You'll find you've got a little more control because your hands are used to it, or at least I have. Are they silvalumes (Susan Bates)? Those are slicker than ice, which doesn't help; Inox/Prym tend to be a little more grabby. And the Susan Bates 2mm (US0s) are a gift from heaven, and my favourite double point. Whatever paint they used makes it a bit catchier and not slick at all really.

I'm not sure anymore, but I believe all three sets are Boyes; they might be Susan Bates, though. I got them all at Joanns when I was just getting back into knitting and hadn't even tried bamboo.

I've been working on bamboo and birch dpns for quite a while now, and I don't have trouble with them at all. I was just looking at them all last night and realized that if I needed another set of #8s right now, I'd go to Joann's and buy some before I'd use the metal. Just not my thing.

I just got a set of 00 carbon fibers for my birthday, and they're amazing. They flex less than my 0 wooden ones. Now I need to find a project for them ...

dopaMEAN posted:

How much would you want to get for them?

They're free to good home(s), I'd just like to think that maybe someone who can't afford to go crazy buying needles can make better use of them than I will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guaranteed
Nov 24, 2004

I did a moebius cowl that said to use Cat Bordhi's cast on and pointed to a video. Let me see if I can find it...

E: Here's the moebius pattern: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/bulky-mobius-cowl , and here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVnTda7F2V4