Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zratha
Nov 28, 2004

It's nice to see you
I hadn't knit or crochet in a really long time, but recently decided to get back into it and just finished this purse today http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Zratha/grannys-no-square it was a great project to get me back in the swing of things, and I am already planning out my next project. I had somehow never heard of Ravelry and am currently exploring the heck out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zratha
Nov 28, 2004

It's nice to see you
I really want to try circular knitting, but I knit left-handed and feel overwhelmed by having to reverse a bunch of directions for the time being. I think one of the subconscious reasons I prefer crochet is that I find it much easier to convert to left-handedness.

Zratha
Nov 28, 2004

It's nice to see you

GenericGirlName posted:

Knitting in the round is exactly the same as knitting on straights, only you never "turn" the work. Try it. Please just try it.

:negative: I'm VP of a college knitting club and we've had people who knit for YEARS and refuse to work on circulars because "they look too complicated". It's just working in one direction forever. It's even the original way that knitting was done.

Alright. Once I am done this poncho, I will give it a try and will report back.

suddenly cats posted:

When you say you knit left-handed, does that mean you're going left-to-right, or just holding the yarn in your left hand and knitting right-to-left?

(Not that it should matter--as was said above, it's literally just continuing your work instead of turning.)

I knit both continental style AND left handed, so it's like backwards backwards. I tried several times to learn English style, then I tried Continental, then I tried left handed English, and finally, here we are. It is the only way that I was ever able to really get it, but I am extremely left-handed.

Zratha
Nov 28, 2004

It's nice to see you

fuzzy_logic posted:

I'm self-taught and ambidextrous so I usually don't turn my work ever - it took some learning about the "theory" of knitting I guess but understanding that a purl is just a knit from the other side helped a lot. I have no idea why that isn't the first thing everybody learns but whatever.

That's awesome, I wish I had that level of ambidexterity. The only thing I can do with my right hand is cut food.

Zratha
Nov 28, 2004

It's nice to see you
I unraveled a poncho last week because I hosed up and made it too long and my boyfriend thought I was nuts, I think. But really, it wasn't fixable and I remade the whole thing in like 3 days anyway.

Zratha
Nov 28, 2004

It's nice to see you
My Knit Picks order arrived! I am ready to try my hand at knitting with circular needles. However, I forgot to order a new set of needles, so the only ones I have are a pair of US 6 4mm ones. Can anyone recommend a good sock pattern for this needle size + fingering weight wool that would be suitable for a first time trying socks/circular needles/knitting in the round?

Zratha
Nov 28, 2004

It's nice to see you
Started my first pair of knitted socks, and oh boy is it a shift in gears to go from 1 crochet hook to 4 little needles. I feel like I am all thumbs.

What is the average time to complete a pair of socks? 300 years? 4?

Zratha
Nov 28, 2004

It's nice to see you
I have knit before, thank god, just never in the round. I would have killed myself by now if I hadn't.

When my boyfriend saw how slow it was going he said "Why are you doing that? Can socks not be crocheted or something?"

He doesn't get it.

Zratha
Nov 28, 2004

It's nice to see you

zamiel posted:

Hands down (or feet up?) the best sock pattern for a complete noob is Silver's Sock Class. There are three weight options and she walks you through each step clearly. Here's the Ravelry page, too. edit: it's also one of those recipes where you knit til it fits your measurements.

And of course the page is down right now, gently caress. Hopefully it's not for long.

Also of note there are cuff down, so if you'd rather do toe up, I've never done those so I wouldn't know.

That is the sock pattern I am currently using too! So far I am still just ribbing, but it taught me to use 4 DPNs easily. Next I'm gonna try one of her circular tutorials.

Zratha
Nov 28, 2004

It's nice to see you

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Right now and for the next several hours, Norway is broadcasting a national knitting event that you can watch here. Lots of talking to knitters, famous or non, showing different kinds of knitting or precursors to knitting like needle binding, talking about some techniques, lots of fun stuff. Hopefully there will be VODs at some point too in case you miss it or want to rewatch a section.

My god, the woman who is colour blocking now is a monster. She is knitting "slowly" and her hands are hard still to follow.

Zratha
Nov 28, 2004

It's nice to see you
I'm too busy not doing the writing I am supposed to do for NaNoWriMo to come up with a whole other set of excuses to procrastinate not doing the knitting for NaKniSweMo.

Zratha
Nov 28, 2004

It's nice to see you

two forty posted:

This creeps me out in the most remarkable way. Tryptophobia, yall. I would hate to think someone spent years creating a blanket that horrifies in the worst way.

Same. It disturbs me on a visceral level.

Zratha
Nov 28, 2004

It's nice to see you
That is gorgeous.

Zratha
Nov 28, 2004

It's nice to see you

Peppercat posted:

I ordered a ball winder from Knitpicks for $20 and a wooden table swift from Etsy for about $30. This is probably the cheapest way to solve this problem.

I have the knitpicks winder as well and it is one of the best purchases I have ever made. So handy!

Zratha
Nov 28, 2004

It's nice to see you

laertes22 posted:

Thanks for all the answers to my question. Has anyone bought one of the KnitPick winders recently? $20 sounds like a good deal, but I've heard a lot about their quality going down recently. However, I think I might want an inexpensive, good quality winder, and $20 seems a good price.

edit: Also, any recs for an inexpensive, good quality yarn swift?

I bought the knitpicks winder maybe 6 months ago. If you decide to throw it across the room or kick it or something it will break, but I think for normal use the construction is solid enough.

Zratha
Nov 28, 2004

It's nice to see you
Do you have those clothing and toy donation bins anywhere near your house? They are often outside grocery stores or Walmarts. I dumped a bunch of yarn I didn't want anymore in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zratha
Nov 28, 2004

It's nice to see you

Valdara posted:

Those of you who knit shawls, do you actually wear them? Where? I'm such a mannerless "goes to the grocery store in pajama pants and ratty tshirts" kind of person outside work and a "slacks and a men's polo because they fit my linebacker shoulders better than women's stupid clothing" person at work, I just can't fathom when I would use a shawl, but I want to knit one so badly. Before I dive in too deep, what's a good beginner's lace project?

I use them either around the house or when it is a little too warm for a sweater but a bit too cold to be bare-armed, like sitting by a lake in the evening, or having supper on a terrace, for example.