Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Midnight Sun posted:

Promise to knit him something cool. :D

DON'T DO THIS O_O

No, really, I have the same curse as a lot of knitters. No matter how well things seem to be going, as soon as I try to knit a boyfriend something, it falls apart and we break up. So far sewing seems safe (I made the boy some curtains for Christmas), but I'm too scared to try crochet.

Maybe it's me :emo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Midnight Sun posted:

Felted wine box bag.

Um. Is box wine not completely terrible where you are? Because that's a lot of effort to wrap up bad wine.

I do buy the stuff for mulling though. Enough spices and sugar and it's just wine-chai!

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Midnight Sun posted:

No, we have lots of good box wine in Norway. Almost every bottled wine also comes in a boxed version, so it's not just a bag for wrapping up lousy poo poo. ;)

As usual, you guys are WAY ahead of the curve. Everyone argues that it's the boxing process that makes it bad, but I know better!

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Midnight Sun posted:

Micomicona, i recommend you to join the waiting list on Ravelry. It's the best knitting resource ever.

This is so true. My friend just put himself on the waiting list just because he wants to look at the way they've organized the information and done the visuals - he doesn't knit, but he's really impressed with the design of the place!

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

Ha. I knit my first pair of socks stinking drunk. That was a good idea...

I probably should have used one, yeah. It was going so well up until that point though! This isn't the first mistake I've made of course, but it's the first time I haven't noticed until it was too late. Usually I figure it out because something doesn't match up at the end of the row. :(

Anyway, yeah. I'll probably stick in a lifeline when I rip back. Tomorrow.

See if you can pick up the row below the fuckup before you start ripping, like this shows you here: http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter03/FEATwin03TT.html

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Ooh, that's a good idea too.

I may just put in a lifeline before ripping, if I can stomach it. This yarn is TINY and the needles are small and it's a 24 inch circular with 800-something stitches on it so it's really hard to see what's going on, but anything - ANYTHING - would be better than ripping back and somehow losing a bunch of YOs or god only knows what else.

God, I hate pulling out SK2pssos. UGH.

See, why would you even try to put yourself through something like that? I only crochet with yarn that small.

Good luck! I say you put the lifeline in while sober, and then get sobbing drunk and rip it and complain a lot, and take pictures. It's the way REAL knitters do it.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Viewers Like Me posted:

I don't think this is off topic. Mazzmatzz the creator of those cool Doctor Who knits is in trouble.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7400268.stm

Weird. Did she not put the "this is for personal use only!" disclaimer at the bottom? How is she responsible for other people ripping off her pattern and selling it without giving due royalties to the character creators (BBC) and the pattern creator?

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

What's with the mohair hate? I made a green mohair scarf (see Moss Scarf on my ravelry account, FeedMeACat), and it was no trouble at all. It's boucle and not-very-tight wool that gives me guff.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

How do you even USE those?! I'm imagining I'll need to teach my boyfriend synchronized knitting to get anything done with those.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

I made yarn! Yay for drop spindles and being too sick to knit, but not too sick to spin.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

fap posted:

I'd also say a drop spindle. I've always wanted one from here: http://www.goldingfibertools.com/ or from here: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5207884 Both of them are beautiful. Just don't get her one of those kits that come with fiber, the spindle I got with my kit was total crap. Buy the fiber separably off of etsy. If she needs help figuring out how to spin, send her to youtube for drop spindle video instruction. That's what I did.

This pretty much works. You can go pretty cheap (google products returns $10 wooden drop spindles, and a few ounces of plain wool to get started is just $5 more or something), or you can get her one of those nice hand-carved spindles with some squishy hand-dyed merino to play with and a lesson or two at your LYS.

But you might want to get her some cheap wool to begin with just so she doesn't get depressed at turning pretty roving into barf on her first try! I know I would.

Oh, and my pound of Corrie cross came in the mail and I'm researching dying options. Anyone have experience with nice, easy to use dyes? Not sure if I want to invest in a bunch of colors AND the weird chemicals to mix with it AND handling equipment (extra crock pot, basters, etc) since I'm just starting out. I don't want to be limited to the Kool-Aid colors, though. I was thinking nice emerald green and black...

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

I made more yarn. Hand-dyed and spun by me!

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Lately I've been getting the urge to learn how to spin, and I suspect it's really only because I just can't wrap my head around how it works at all. Lord knows it's not like I have time for the hobbies I have NOW and need another one.

Anyway, lovely stuff!

It's really easy - you just use a machine (a wheel or a a spindle) to add twist to a string of fiber, and then when you're done you get it wet and smack it around a bit to convince the fibers that this twisted state is the way they want to be. It CAN be more complicated, but I just summarized single-ply in two sentences.

Think of it this way - if uneducated peasants did it in the olden days, you can probably manage it with the internet's help!

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Windy posted:

Hmmm, are you sure those needles are the same size? It may be foreshortening, but the different colors also make me suspicious.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Windy posted:

Yep. Both are also stamped with "7" and I double checked the diameters before starting. I found a 6, 10 and ...6.5 or something. I think there were two of everything at some point but I only rummage so much through other peoples things ;) I think they were tossed because both are slightly bent, or at least not completely straight.

My favorite pair of needles is a pair of aluminum 8s, and one of them has a very bent tip from my friend trying to jimmy his window with it.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Janelle posted:

http://www.coatsandclark.com/Crafts/Crochet/Projects/AfghansThrows/SB300-003+Diamond+Trellis.htm

Ok, there's the pattern I'm working. I get through row 3, turn and am having trouble. I have actually finished row 4, but when I go to work row 5, the instructions for the row don't match what I have. Is there anyone who can help decode? This is my first time following a pattern. Thanks in advance.

*I will edit to add, I tried to work more of the afghan with what I had, ended up unraveling a whole row, but I got it so that the directions in the 5th row match what was done in the 4th. Got all the way to the 7th row and my diamonds do not look like diamonds and there is some bunching.

'st' can mean any stitch, including the double stitches (from the previous row) or loop?

Depends on the age of the pattern. Modern patterns count loops of any kind - from knit-back-and-fronts, yarn overs, and so on. However, you may have one of those patterns that magically assumes you're dropping the YOs from the previous rows.

Do you end up with the right number of stitches in the row? Or do you get to the end of the written row and still have three stitches on the left needle?

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Janelle posted:

No leftover stitches, and the stitch count is right. I can crochet according to the next row, however, it's not making the diamond shaping, it's bunching instead. :shrug:

How many repeats have you done?

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

elbow posted:

^^^^ This is pretty much why I have yet to do any lace, it just scares the hell out of me, and I would never have enough patience and discipline to actually finish it.

Lace isn't bad! You just can't screw up.

Janelle, yeah, give it another try with at least two repeats. Sometimes it just doesn't happen until you do it a couple times. Or, you can pick another pattern. That's what I do when a pattern pisses me off.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

I think it means they all go in one stitch.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

deety posted:

I've been hearing this book mentioned on different sites for as long as I've been knitting, but it's out of print and used copies are really pricey. I think this one may have been her personal copy, though I'm not exactly sure because there was no note inside. I'm about to start on the thank you note, but I thought I'd share the mind-blowing concept of 30 different cast-ons first.

GASP I thought there was only one! :saddowns:

ninja edit: I'm joking, I just hear it a lot.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Mnemosyne posted:

I have two questions for you ladies (I'm assuming this thread is all ladies?).

1) Does anyone use those Denise needle kits? I'm getting annoyed at having to buy a new pair of needles for every project, and that seems like a nice solution. I was thinking about asking for a set for Christmas.

2) I'm about to knit some fingerless gloves (so I can teach myself knitting in the round). I've got some...eh, cleaning problems, so I wash things obsessively. What's a good yarn to use for something that's going to go through the washing machine on a very frequent basis? Am I stuck with Acrylic? I've seen here that you can buy "superwash" wool, but I don't know if that still means it'll get screwed up if I wash it a lot. I'm seeing a lot of info about a lot of new types of fibers being used in yarn, but I don't see a good place to read about the properties of said fibers.

I just pick things that use needles about the size I use. Also, why do you wash often? Cotton washes quite nicely if you insist on it going through the machine. If you just need to sterilize often, you can use anything plant-based with a mild bleach solution. If you're just dropping pasta sauce on your sweaters all the time or something, then you can just hand-wash pretty much any fiber.

Superwash supposedly will wash as often and as much as you want. There are acrylic-superwash blends that are very soft and will hold up nicely. Cotton is fine, and silk is relatively durable as long as you don't overdo it.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Mnemosyne posted:

I'm a compulsive hand-washer, which means that in the winter, I also become a compulsive glove-washer. I even put my leather gloves through the washing machine. Yes, I'm crazy, and medication doesn't help, so I've just made peace with doing a lot of laundry.

I don't feel the need to sterilize, but I do have a preference for washing it warm or hot water. Hand-washing is a bit too much effort when I'm going to end up washing something once a week or more. I guess I'll check out a yarn store and see what kind of superwash stuff they have there.

Actually, the way I wash wristwarmers or fingerless gloves is to wear them and wash my hands up to my elbows with appropriate soap (very gentle hand soap like Dr Bronners works really well). So you can combine your two hobbies!

If you're on Ravelry, there is a plethora of mental health support communities. If you don't want to hang out with other super crazy people, the ADHD Knitters group is really hilarious and great for a laugh about general craziness (especially since ADHD is commonly comorbid with pretty much everything else ever).

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Nrapture posted:

Could it be k1tbl = knit 1 through back loop?

Hm. Count the next row - if it's an increase, it's knit one then knit another through the same stitch's back loop. If it's not an increase, I bet it's knit through back loop.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Splash Attack posted:

Ohhh, so that what it is! I'm dumb and thought 'knitting in the round' was the one where you knit with three needles; I took one look at a diagram of that and went "AHHH"

I'm going to need to buy circulars then, my mom gave me her old stash of yarn and I found two circulars hidden among the yarn, but they feel too small and... not right. :(

Oh, you mean with five? That's pretty easy too. I dunno, circulars flop around and get in the way for me.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

But how will they be able to find their invisible baby once it's in the sack? :ohdear:

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

You are definitely insane. I'd rather shear the sheep myself than do that.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

MORE KNIT CHAT

I made the scarf shown in this article for a friend: http://seattletimes.com/html/homegarden/2013225684_halloweencraft22.html?prmid=related_stories_section

I don't have the horrible Twilight-themed knitting book, so I just started in red and transitioned to black via intarsia. At one point I was juggling 17 little tiny balls of yarn. I wanted to die. It took me two years to drag myself through this project and finally get it off my favorite bamboo size 8s.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

It's cool, just rip it all apart and start the gently caress over. :suicide:

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

HeatherChandler posted:

My mother looks at the pattern and tells me that the baby will get her nose stuck in the bumps and suffocate? Glad SHE can't have any more babies because she would be getting zero blankets from me.

Sorry for the double post, but suffocation hazard was A THING a couple decades ago, so it's probably just her giving you the best advice she knows of.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

I made my boyfriend a cowl.
\]

Then I made myself a cowl.

Then after spinning myself some yarn, I made myself another cowl.

I might have a problem.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Hey guys, I just posted a SA mart thread selling handspun yarn: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3530861

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Yeah, when I made a mobius scarf my blocking idea was just "don't bother". But yeah, you pretty much have it right - you literally cannot lay a mobius strip completely flat, so the best you can do is lay part of it flat, block that bit, then move it around so you can block the rest of it flat. Steam blocking might be a good choice in that situation.

Yeah I'd just iron the poo poo out of it if I were you. I got a lot of compliments on my rainbow cowl at Mt. Baker last weekend, and that totally made up for falling over about a billion times while learning to snowboard. Yay!

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Whoa, you learned to type really young. Didn't know they made keyboards small enough for babies, though. You should write a thread!

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Wow! Is that particularly tedious to do/manage compared to intarsia?

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Fooley posted:

Not terribly. You cast on both colors for each stitch in the chart, then when you're working it you just knit with the front color, bring both strands to the front, and purl with the back color. This is about the only kind of colorwork I can stand since you don't have to worry about tension like with intarsia. Two colors is easiest, but you can do a lot more. Its sort of this crazy guy's thing.

How many stitches did you cast on, and what size needle?

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

zamiel posted:

Weird question...I have just discovered I have mold in my wall. I'm not sure yet how bad it is, just had an adjuster out yesterday and he's got to get someone out here to evaluate it, etc. I'm wondering what I can do with my yarn once the wall is fixed OR I move out. I'm not optimistic since it's an older mobile home.

Good news is at least that most of my stash is in plastic storage bins but I have had some open and moved poo poo around since the problem first started (seems about 2 months ago from symptoms of me and pets) and a few things have been out on my craft table, mostly large skeins I needed to hank for dyeing. I figure the stuff in bins I haven't opened for over 2 months should be fine, but is there anything I should/could do to treat the other stuff? It ranges from acrylic to wool, superwash and non. Discussing it with an insurance agent friend of mine, she mentioned I'd probably have to throw away my bed and such and it got me thinking.

Mold is not too difficult. A very firm washing gets it out of most clothing, but the problem is re-infection, and of course the delicate nature of yarn. I would suggest a serious steaming to kill off the mold and spores, and then gently washing. You may want to put yarn onto a niddy-noddy to do this, because it will let you get the steam and soap into all the strands without worrying about tangling quite so much.

In the meantime, run a dehumidifier and spend as little time inside as you can. Mold is seriously Bad poo poo.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

jesspater posted:

So I know this is the knitting forum, and I am showing a picture of crochet, but I need some expert advise on the colorblocking of my latest project. I am not sure if I like the green-light blue transition. I want this to be completely multi-striped, so any color suggestions I would greatly appreciate! Oh, and I am using http://www.lionbrand.com/yarns/vannaschoice.html

Thanks again!!

Those colors work reasonably well. I'd go for a more orangey red, personally.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Waddley Hasselhoff posted:

Who wants to hear a story about how my knitting bag was stolen at a music festival and the contents found (and retrieved from because I'm not losing my almost loving complete sweater) in the the toilet of a Honey Bucket? I'm down a half finished sock, some needles, and a ball of yarn, but I got my goddamn sweater which is now washed and hanging in my bathroom. "Cleaning feces from wool/silk" is not something I ever thought I'd Google. Yesterday was the worst day.

Here, have a limerick:

Directions were followed to the letter,
My knitting just couldn't be better.
But someone said 'gently caress it!'
And chucked it in the Honey Bucket,
And now it's just a poo poo sweater.

(We came up with a lot of these. It's how I coped.)

What the gently caress?! WHO DOES THAT. (I mean ditching it in the porta, which clogs the suction truck that comes to clean it out, resulting in a headache for everyone, not to mention the mostly-knitted-sweater)

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Seriously, it's supposed to be fun. It's a hobby. Stop torturing yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Does anyone else here ever sulk and hide from their knitting? Whenever I have a particularly troublesome project, I put it somewhere I can see it (I want to keep an eye on that fucker) and glare at it whenever I want to knit, but then I don't pick it up because it's a pain in the rear end.