Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

jomiel posted:

Halfway done on the first sock ^^^
I messed up the eye of the partridge heel on some of the rows but oh well the socks are for me and it's hard to tell anyways

I should really stop buying variegated yarn :sigh: They never turn out as well as I hope they would
Here is the original skein

I think they look great!

i will take any unloved variegated sock yarn and give it a good home

quote:

Although sometimes variegated yarn works out:

Ooooh, nice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005
That reversed eye of partridge heel is great! :)

Metal two-at-a-time magic loop socks are the best, do the socks, doooo eeet.

Dropping stitches:

I have a tiny crochet hook I use to ladder them back up.

If they are in a place that's impossible to fix (I have found stitches I dropped before turning the heel when I'm well into the cuff-- Lorna's Laces is sticky yarn) I just tie them to their neighbor and wash my hands of it.

(That goes for larger items too. Sometimes I am much too lazy for my own good.)

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Here are some socks!

Socks, Again by effika, on Flickr

Socks, Again by effika, on Flickr

Modeling wool socks in 90F weather :supaburn:

I really like how one of the socks pooled. I was working from two ends of the same center pull skein so I expected variations in pooling, but not to that extent!

Yarn is Saki by Prism Colors in Thunderclap and is a good soft, yet sticky, sock yarn. Hardly any excess dye ran out when I blocked them, too!

Pattern is Two Toe-Up Socks on One Circular Needle from Silver's Sock Class. Her instructions are really good for first-time magic loop wranglers, and is so easy I had it memorized after the second pair of socks I made with it.

Ravely project link for all the details.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

FelicityGS posted:

Those came out great!

Thanks!

Sex Hobbit posted:

I started a KnitPicks Hue Shift Afghan two years ago, when the kit first came out.

Last night I finally finished the first quarter :suicide: I have got to work on this thing more often.

Nice! It's so bright and sunny. I love mitered squares for mindless knitting. I used 1088yds of only one color, and mine took 16 months. Persevere, you'll love it in the end.

Well guys, I finally started a Clapotis, using a hank of Shimmer from the Knit Picks "cool" sample laceweight pack from years ago. It's going to be deliciously soft, but I'm not sure the color (Bayou) is for me. Somebody may be getting a very nice Christmas gift.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Peppercat posted:

Pattern is Morgentau on Ravelry.

:f5: Added to queue! That's beautiful; your friend will be very happy.

I like that it's a lace shawl without much openwork-- I need something a little more wind-blocking during most of the cold season.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Here's the Clapotis I've been working on in Knitpicks Shimmer hand-dyed, Bayou colorway:

I know laceweight always needs blocking to not look like a pile of ramen, but I think I like it with undropped stitches better. Hmmm... maybe I'll drop just the first 13 set-up columns and wait to drop the rest until the end. Then the dropped stitches can be a "deliberate accent" if I decide to keep the rest unblocked.

Also, I stopped twisting stitches on either side of the dropped stitch after the first dropped stitch repeat. I found the twisted stitches were staying very open and looked sloppy, most likely due to the yarn choice (two-ply lace loves to pop open like that). The non-twisted stitch areas look very neat and clean, and it's easier to do, so hooray for that.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Safari Disco Lion posted:

The problem with not doing the twisted stitches is once you drop the stitch between them, the untwisted stitches will become very loose and sloppy looking, because a twisted stitch when pulled just gets tighter, where an untwisted stitch when pulled opens up. But if the standard stitches look good to you and the twisted ones are coming out ugly anyway, it should all work out.

Yeah, I've seen them work properly before in heavier-weight yarn. For whatever reason, with this yarn they're just looking sloppy instead of neat.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
The bulk of the yarn's never been an issue for me (I made a scarf out of that gigantic diameter designer stuff years ago), but a yarn without any give kills my wrists. The way I knit requires the yarn to stretch a bit, apparently. Using needles that give a looser gauge helps, but I still avoid most projects with non-stretchy yarn.

Looks like you have several variables to test out!

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Anything with a lot of knitting is going to sag. To help keep it in shape, take a few pages out of the fashion industry's playbook:

• Use a very fine gauge and a very lightweight yarn
  • Introduce stabilizing elements-- cables/ribs (but be careful of the weight!), seams, panels of non-knitted fabric, belts, straps, etc
  • Use the inevitable sag to your advantage, and take away some weight by using lace stitch patterns
  • Make sure the yarn is a sproingy one. This is not the time for silk or cotton, this is the time for merino.
  • Elastic thread can help a little on the horizontal stretch, but will not work very well for the vertical stretch problem.

Also, consider separates that you can wear together as a dress-- this will decrease the amount of weight each knitted stitch will have to carry, and can give you even better sizing customization with fewer calculations.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I usually get a pair of long-legged socks done in about 3-4 months. That drawer would represent years of knitting for me!

Re: new Knitty. I sort of like Krydda (rav link), but the way the lace panels are shaped would have to change for me. Especially in the back. It would look like arrows pointing at my booty.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Silver does have some use as an antimicrobial substance, but it's limited to whatever comes in contact with it. (The Ag+ ion readily interacts with biological molecules, so it's used in things like wound dressings a lot. Here's one review article; you can search PubMed for lots more.)

However, that company is full of bullshit. I hate those companies.

Also can't you just buy some conductive thread (anywhere from $2-$6 per 30ft) and weave that in/hold it with your yarn on the glove tips? There's even an Instructable on harvesting your own out of old power cords.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Giant Metal Robot posted:

I fixed my laddering problem by always knitting a few stitches off of the next needle so the transfer point between needles was always shifting. I haven't made socks though. Is that a bad idea for socks?

It's fine for socks, but knowing which sets of needles is the front and back helps if there's a pattern, or if there's shaping to be done. At some point a heel and toe have to be worked-- depending on how you do those it's possible it won't matter at all, and possible it will totally screw it up.

For ladders, the best advice I've received: Knit the first stitch on the new needle/side a little tighter, and knit the second stitch MUCH tighter than normal. Go back to normal gauge for the rest of the needle.

Also Magic Loop (using Addi Turbos or even Denises) helps tremendously for me. The fewer spots for ladders to form, the better!

I finished my Clapotis (Ravelry project link)! There are 21,698 of these things listed on Rav right now. :psyduck:

(More pictures are on the Ravelry page.)

This is Knitpicks Shimmer in Bayou (from one of the packs they did a few years back). I used 43g of yarn for a scarf-sized Clapotis, and unblocked dimension are 44" x 7" (straight section), 50" tip to tip.

I stopped twisting the stitches about a foot in, and I am very happy with the results. I don't know what was up with this yarn that made it behave the opposite of how twisted stitches are supposed to behave!

effika
Jun 19, 2005

laertes22 posted:

Thanks for the running gear recs! What is a good cast on for hats? I normally use long tail, but I was thinking German twist, for elasticity? Thoughts?

I like cable cast-on, done two needle sizes up for things that need stretch. German twist looks like it should be good, too.

I do all my hats top-down because I am too lazy to swatch so the cast-on doesn't matter as much, though. :ssh:

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Amykinz posted:

Did anyone else on the Knitty mailing list get almost spam from knitty a couple of days ago?

Are you talking about the "Knitty partner" thing? I got that and unsubscribed so hard. I'll look for their stuff to show up on Ravelry instead.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Dante Logos posted:

So here's a scarf that I have been working on. I am a total newbie at this, but I wanted to make something nice for a lady friend. All I have been doing is alternating between knit and purl with dropping the first stitch in a row but I have no clue how I got these raised rows. It would be awesome if I was doing it in purpose but I don't know what I am doing or how to replicate it. Any pro knitters in the know? And should I keep going or unravel it? I've done it a couple times already so I can live with it.

Sorry for the bad quality. Dropped my phone one too many times. Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: fixed the photo. Oops.

Those ridges come from doing the same kind of row twice in a row. Doing it on purpose is called garter stitch.

You might leave them as "accent rows" if you don't want to re-knit the piece. ;)

Also, be advised that the scarf is going to roll up into a tube. Stockinette (what you do when you alternate a row of knitting and purling) is notorious for this. That can be a design feature or a bug, depending on how you view it.

e:fb!

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I loooove hemp for bath stuff. Just the right amount of tooth for bath stuff, it's durable, and it comes in weights that won't take forever to dry.

It has absolutely no give so my wrists hate knitting with it, but everything turns out so nice that I put up with it.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

jomiel posted:

I knit a cashmere scarf and now all yarn is like way too rough. What is this tough life :v:

What yarn/pattern? This is lovely!

I wear my cashmere-blend scarf a lot more than my other scarves, because it's not itchy even when it's too warm outside for scarves. It's heaven.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I made a thing!

Girl Friday Sweater by effika, on Flickr

(Ravelry project with full notes and more photos)

Pattern is Girl Friday from Knitty

I made it longer and looser, and I'm glad I did. That removed a lot of the frumpiness from the sweater.

Also: our cat loves this sweater and always wanted to sit on the project while I was knitting it.

Try to block it? Fat chance.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

That is gorgeous! I love seeing interpretations of patterns that show the thing in a whole new light.

Also your cat is so pretty!

Thank you!

The cat accepts your compliments and has gone back to bathing.

So does anybody get in a little bit of a funk after finishing a big project? I always feel like I do when I've finished a really good book.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I saw the new Knitty stuff during my Ravelry free pattern browse with breakfast... I scrolled past them like I do any uninteresting new thing without realizing they were from Knitty. :eng99: indeed.

It seems like a lot in this issues is repetitive-- all of the sweaters feel like tweaks of earlier sweaters.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

wwjebusdo posted:

So has anyone ever used the Denise interchangeables? I need a set with a 16" cord and up to size 15 needles for bulky hats, but also longer cords and smaller needles for shawls. The reviews seem to switch between people who love them and people who say the connectors are crap. Need some input.

They are my primary needles, still, even with all the cool new kits. Mostly this is because I keep spending the money for a new kit on yarn.

They are perfectly adequate needles. The 50" cord you can get for a few bucks is great. The connectors are fine, but I did have one cord's pop off sometime in my fourth year of ownership. Superglue fixed it, but customer service said they'd send me a new one if I wanted. The connectors will catch your yarn, but it's something you get used to. Despite that one connector, the set has been great quality.

I can magic loop on them IF I am using worsted weight or above and the ambient temperature is above 70°F. If you magic loop a lot you probably would be better served by another kit. This was all that was out (except that terrible Boye kit) when I started so I made it work.

If I needed to pick another set, and I didn't want to spend a lot of money and I liked plastic needles, I'd go with Denise again. If I had unlimited money I'd probably get an Addi or Knitter's Pride set.

a friendly penguin posted:

Last minute Christmas gift hats:

That is a lovely hat!

effika
Jun 19, 2005

wwjebusdo posted:

Five rows from the end of an aran weight shawlette (Black Death) and I am now both in awe of those people who knit those huge lace weight shawls and convinced that they are utterly insane. Same for people who make stockinette sweaters.

I picked the pattern because I only had two skeins of the most luscious yarn I've ever knit with but now I'm really thankful I don't have more. In the skein it feels almost like cotton and not that great but while knitting it feels like yummy, plush, marshmellowy goodness. It's for my mom but I don't want to hand it over (I will).

Oh, that's going to be gorgeous and squishy and warm when it's finished!

Keep at it! The first laceweight scarf I made took me forever to finish just 400yds of knitting. The boost I got from finishing it made me love knitting lace, and I've had a second lace scarf since, plus plans for more...

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Fionnoula posted:

Well I did it, I posted it for sale, for $3.00. OH GOD, I'm all flopsweaty.
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/hulk-goes-to-market-bag

For the record, I gave it a shot with two colors, one for the bottom and handles and one for the mesh body. The 120yd skeins are NOT big enough for the entire mesh part, but the 200ish yard skeins work out nicely with leftovers. For the bottom and handles, the 120yard skein works well.

I've got a few spare balls AND a cone hanging around, so this is right up my alley! Sounds like some good summer knitting.. :)

I made some socks! (Ravelry link)

Sherbet Socks by effika, on Flickr

(It was 37°F outside when I modeled these-- positively warm considering the weather lately!)

Sherbet Socks by effika, on Flickr

The heel is too small-- I tried a slipstich heel, and it's tighter than I'm used to. If I can't live with it I'm going to try replacing it as if it were a worn out heel. The idea of cutting out perfectly sound knitting that I just finished is both exhilarating and terrifying!

Fleegle's symmetrical short rows are magic, by the way. My socks barely have any short row holes!

effika fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jan 11, 2015

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Mizufusion posted:

Those look great! I used the Fleegle short row/heel method on some socks I knit for my husband and it's amazing. No gaps, perfect fit, and stupidly easy. I had a lot of trouble getting these to fit right and had to rip out one of the heels twice. The Fleegle method totally saved this project, because I might not have finished them otherwise. His feet are actually about 12" long, so it was a lot of knitting, even on US3 needles. Poor guy felt guilty every time I had him try them on and something didn't fit right, but I figure if I'm going to spend that much goddamn time on something, I'm going to make sure it goddamn fits right. :colbert:

Sorry for the terrible cell phone pic, but it's the only one I got before giving them to him, since he practically lives in these socks now.

Thanks! I've used a different short row method each heel, and Fleegle's is definitely the easiest and least gappy.

I think being worn so much there's few pictures of them is a good sign for a pair of socks. Those look cozy!

Phishi posted:

Very nice!

I actually just finished a pair of socks for my dad that I've been working on for 3 years. Pics to follow once they are dry after their washing! Pattern is Casadh, you can find on Rav (I'm on my phone, links is hard yo... And I be lazy).

I immediately cast on a pair of vanilla socks for me using that needle, and godDAMN the first few rows of two socks on one circ are *fiddly*.

Thanks! Yeah, the first two rows always make me question my needle size, but then I get to knitting a few more rounds and it's all good. So little room to work with the stitches.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

wwjebusdo posted:

So uh...I made three shawls in a month and have one 60% done on needles now and another started.

I'm a bit addicted.

Maybe, but these are gorgeous!

quote:

This is a hate-knit, if there is such a thing.

I love that it wouldn't behave during blocking, too. Figures.

I'm currently hate-knitting on a lengthwise linen stitch Koigu PPPM scarf. I was given the yarn (yay!) but it's in colors I will never, ever wear (boo!) and I don't have a recipient in mind yet to gift it to. You know how sometimes you'll see a retired woman's first forays into dying wool felt, or watercolor, and it's got All of the Colors and the dominant color is brown-ish grey because everything ran together? That's what this scarf is like. It's an art project, commentary on growing older and learning curves... at least that's what I'm telling myself. Maybe I can enter it in an exhibition somewhere and it'll sell and I won't have to look at it any more.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

MarsDragon posted:

I made mittens! The pattern is Robots vs Downtown, and the yarn is Claudia Handpaints fingering. The yarn was actually pretty bullshit, there were three separate spots where one ply just disappeared so I had to break and rejoin it. Plus I know there's a break in the remaining variegated yarn somewhere, because it broke when I was winding it on. Screw you, Claudia.

Still, they came out really well. Now I'm casting on my big gradient handspun for a shawl. We'll see how that goes.

These are amazing!

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Shiny Penny posted:

How difficult does this pattern look?

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEss10/PATTtorreyana.php?printOption=printNoImages

It's listed under their "hardest" level but it doesn't seem too terribly difficult. I've done a few shawls now but this will be a bigger project for me. I'd like to try the worsted size.

If you've done a few shawls I think you'll be fine. I think it's listed as being so hard because it combines a lot to keep track of in the pattern with some techniques that aren't used much outside of lace.

Go for it!

effika
Jun 19, 2005

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I finished my sweater, and made a matching one for my cat Vesta.

Does she wear clothes well? Vesta is so cute with her matching outfit!

Phishi posted:

It's a little vest for Vesta. :3:

AAAAHH :kimchi:

effika
Jun 19, 2005

left_unattended posted:

Out of curiosity, am I the only weirdo who looks at a pattern and knows *exactly* what shade it needs to be knit in? It only happens every so often, but I've had Mrs Peacock in my queue for over a year now, and I've always known that it needs to be in a shade of purple that's pretty close to the one in the pictures - it just won't work in another colour. I'll have to look again in the daylight, but I'm pretty sure I've finally found that purple. Beyond excited.

Sometimes! I knew my Girl Friday would need to be in something gold/mustardy.

I've got a skein of Madelinetosh Prairie in Norway Spruce (dark teal leaning greenish) that I think would make a lovely Mrs Peacock. (I'm short a hundred yards on it, though, I may pass.) Definitely a dark color. The deep purple in the pattern photos looks very rich. I think it'd be hard to top that.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

:drat:

Long color-change yarns are magic combined with stitchwork like that.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

I've decided to do this pattern: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/revontuli--huivi-northern-lights

I've found the most perfect shades of green (Fells Point - http://www.neighborhoodfiberco.com/products/) to use, but unfortunately it's the type of variegated yarn that changes color rapidly, as in it'll go from light green to dark green to yellow green, etc all within the same yard. Whereas there are others that will be light green for a couple of yards and then change to dark green for a couple of yards and so on.

Are there two different names for these different color changing yarns or are they both called variegated and I have to inspect it carefully to see the way the colors change? It's not hard (except online sometimes) but searching for colors like this in the future would be easier if there was different terminology.

Also, do you all think that the people who have done this project just used variegated yarn, or does it look like they've just changed skeins at the end of every significant chunk of knitting? I went through the notes of a lot of people's projects and didn't see anyone indicate that they had used different colors so I am under the impression that everyone didn't have any troubles finding colors that they liked in the color changing type of yarn that works best. My LYS really only seemed to have soiid colors with subtle variatios or the rapidly color changing yarn.

I'm sure the person I'm making it for will like it anyway, but for future projects, it would be nice to know. Thanks for your help!

I've heard yarn with slow-to-change colors referred to as "long color change" or "long repeat" yarns. I hope a term is settled on so that it's easier to search Ravelry for them! Some dyers will call attention to these yarns as they're getting popular, but inspection is still the best way to tell. (Searching Ravelry for projects in that yarn is also a good idea.)

I looked at the yarns used for Northern Lights-- the first page is almost entirely long color change yarns. If you click on something that is only a line of solids, you can see how they changed for repeats. This search for Knit Picks Palette shows how that can turn out. Contrast that to something like Schoppel-Woole Lace Ball for a long repeat yarn.

I think variegated will still look pretty! You can always switch it out with a solid every other repeat or two-- I see some of those in the project gallery, too.

e;fb Anne! So quick on the draw. :)

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Thanks to you both! I feel much better informed now. And I think I will use the yarn for something else and search for the perfect color in the slow-to-change vein of yarns.

I had wanted to use the suggested yarn for the pattern, the Aade Long, but I couldn't find it online to purchase in a color that I liked. How does one find these mystical yarns? I guess, in general, where do all of you knitters purchase yarns of fine quality online?

I look at Webs, Love Knitting, JImmy Beans Wool, and for smaller companies I visit their website. My local yarn store also carries a very good selection.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Pile of Kittens posted:

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEff15/PATTbakerstreet.php

Are you loving making GBS threads me? This is the lamest bare excuse for a pattern I've ever seen, which exists solely so this "designer" can say she designed something for Neil OMIGOSH Gaiman. I am so angry at knitting right now. How can knitting make me so angry???

I need help

It's literally just a couple of feet of broken rib stitch, too. Maybe I ought to submit my beginner's garter stitch scarf-- it was once admired by a regionally famous guitar player. That's probably good enough, right?

:bang:

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Does she mind some white in between colors? That can help get rid of the muddy colors risk.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Valdara posted:

It turned out pretty well. Not a whole lot of ugly muddying, and the purples are deep, the oranges bright, and I am overall very happy with it.

I think that's some of the best you could hope for out of that color combo. Looks great!

effika
Jun 19, 2005

It came out very lovely! That's a great color, too.

hamjobs posted:

Your shawl came out absolutely beautiful!

I agree with you, though, just after seeing her "there are no errors, you're all just terrible" notes on the pattern.

I had to see for myself:

a helpful knitter on the pattern page posted:

As an avid shawl knitter, I would like to make a suggestion that might make the pattern easier for novices. In the pattern you say to knit seven repeats of rows 3 through 33. This may be misleading as it doesn’t include parts of the pattern repeat that need to be knit.

:bravo:

the designer posted:

To the naysayers and party poopers out there, I’d like to remind you that:

you’re not forced to knit this pattern, if there are mistakes in any of the versions is because the people working on it are only humans,
we’re only humans. If you cannot deal with mistakes, move on and go find something else to knit,
did you notice that we are doing this FOR FREE? Do you really think the best way to repay us is by trashing us over the internet?

:downsbravo:

effika
Jun 19, 2005

hamjobs posted:

I'm knitting a pair of Rose City Rollers in Manos del Uruguay Alegria, colorway Locura Fluor and they are very Lisa Frank Barf. I love them.

This got lost in the shawl stuff, but I highly approve of Lisa Frank-esque socks. I love loud socks!

Aerofallosov posted:

I'm working on my first shawl (Pretty basic is the name of the pattern) and I tried to make sense of the one linked. :( I guess I have a long ways to go.

The one linked is more like trying to follow a Splendid Table cookbook recipe. Unless you already are a comfortable cook, you won't see what's been left out, what's wrong, or what could be done an easier way. (I love listening to the Splendid Table but their cookbooks need a better editor.) I wouldn't be discouraged in any way by that pattern. There are plenty more that make sense!

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Valdara posted:

I can't decide on a show/movie to watch. For some reason they cleaned out my list, and I can't remember what shows I wanted to watch to look them up and see if they're still available. I'm mad at Netflix right now, but I'm sure we'll make up eventually.

Edit: So, I've got the first two inches or so of the first sock toe done, and the whole time I'm thinking, "What kind of weirdo has feet shaped like this?" Then I looked at pattern pictures. Everyone. Everyone has feet shaped like that, and I'm the weirdo mutant with the chisel shaped feet of bluntness.

http://whatthehellshouldiwatchonnetflix.com/

The neat thing about socks is that they'll stretch and morph and fit your feet just fine, probably. Also, if you go toe-up again, you can change the number of cast-on stitches at the beginning to get a shallower toe to handle a less severe toe line. (Or fewer stitches to get a steeper line, depending on what kind of chisel you meant. And you can make your socks left & right mirrors, too.)

Fancy sock talk:

I have store-bought socks with luxury fibers and I've worn through them. I have hand-knitted socks with luxury fibers and haven't worn through them yet. The socks are much thicker, and you'll be paying attention to them more so you can catch the holes/thin parts for repair. Just make a bunch of socks so your nicest pair is in rotation with several others to spread the wear around.

If it has cashmere, I do tend to use it for stuff other than socks. If I get gifted some cashmere sock yarn I'll definitely have to use it for socks, though, to honor the intention of the giver.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Whenever I think about socks, they just seem like so much :effort: to me. Am I missing some magic sock secret that makes them actually wonderful? To me socks equal a lot of attention with the DPN and the rapidly changing instructions. Maybe it gets easier after the first pair?

Tell me your sock secrets.

2-At-A-Time Toe-Up Magic Loop so I avoid second sock syndrome and can try them on during construction. I can also make the cuffs as long as I want!

Magic Loop with plain socks lets me not look at the socks while knitting, so I can converse with friends, or binge watch Netflix if I've nothing else to do.

Variegated colors so I keep knitting to see what the next color will look like.

Wearing my first pair of socks and finally having warm feet in the winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I made a Clapotis out of Madelinetosh Prairie, a laceweight merino single:

Clapotis Wrap by effika, on Flickr

Clapotis Wrap by effika, on Flickr

Ravelry link

So I discovered, upon editing that detail shot, that I've been twisting all the stitches. My fingers went on auto-pilot. I'll pretend it's on purpose to highlight the "knitting with spaghetti" look that a single gives. Yes, definitely that, and not that I got distracted and never bothered to look at what I was actually doing.

MarsDragon posted:

While I was dyeing, I also kettle-dyed a tonal red:

That's 8 oz of Corridale. It came out lighter than I expected - I was throwing dye into the pot until it wouldn't accept any more, but there were still undyed spots. And I wanted darker reds, but the shop just didn't have any. Still, I think it came out okay. It's a lot easier to deal with undyed spots in roving than it is in yarn.

(this all should probably go in the spinning thread, shouldn't it...)

I don't care-- I'm not in the spinning thread, and you posted pretty pictures of proto-yarn. :allears: