Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dyrim
Aug 2, 2005

Damned disreputable.
I'm ambidextrous -- I write and eat with my left hand, and I use scissors with my right. I learned to knit by throwing, then later learned continental. I find that continental goes much faster for larger scale projects, but when I'm new at something, or it's relatively small and intricate, I prefer throwing. Right now I'm knitting using the two-at-a-time on one circular needle method, and I'm throwing all the way. When I build up some confidence, I'll try it in continental.

Here's what I've got so far:

I never throught I'd be able to do this, but it's a lot easier than it looks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyrim
Aug 2, 2005

Damned disreputable.

Robin Sparkles posted:

I'm using silver's sock class to make a sock (maybe two, we'll see how it goes), but my fingers are KILLING ME. What do you guys do to stop this?

I've found it to be like playing the guitar--you start to develop callouses very quickly, especially if you're using sharp needles.

Speaking of sharp needles, I've found the Knitpicks Zephyr set (the clear acrylic) to be really difficult to use. The clear plastic actually makes it harder to see what you're doing with the needle, the joins like to come unscrewed--even when I've used the little tightener--and halfway through my neckwarmer project, my size four snapped in half. I had to run out to my LYS and get a new set of circs. They set me up with some Addi turbos, and now I'm in love.

I can't have been that rough on the acrylics, since I was using Noro Silk Garden yarn. If I'm too rough with that, it comes apart quite easily.

Anyway, I've long since finished that neckwarmer and completed a second. I also knit my first hat and gave it to a co-worker who helped me pick out the yarn. Now I just need to finish my Giants-themed scarf for my brother-in-law.