Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ern Malley
Nov 11, 2005

:d: :d: :d:
If you don't mind knitting a test swatch and doing some basic math calculations based on the stitch and row gauge measurements, I strongly recommend the Improv tutorial series. https://ktslowcloset.com/2016/08/14/improv-basic-pattern-for-a-top-down-seamless-sweater/

It's Karen Templer's method for a top-down seamless sweater that you can completely customize however you want. Things like the neck style, torso length, sleeve width - whatever you want, her guides show you exactly how to make that happen, and all you need is an accurate swatch so you know your gauge.

I used this guide to knit my first sweater after I had six months of knitting experience, and it was a great time.

The only caveat is that this method is done entirely in stockinette, not cables like you want. But you could probably work a cable in there, like maybe a little cabling down the side of each sleeve. Or just do a first sweater in all stockinette (maybe jazz it up with something like stripes so it's not mega boring to you), and then, with that experience under your belt, do a second sweater that you've figured out how to make with lots of cables. Also check the blog comments on each of the tutorial sections, there might be some people who asked how to insert cables and got good advice from the author/other knitters.

Edit!
Aha, I knew I was forgetting something - yes, there's an additional blog post on how to do the sweater in a stitch pattern of your choice (like cables!): https://ktslowcloset.com/2016/08/17/how-to-incorporate-a-stitch-pattern-in-a-top-down-sweater/

Ern Malley fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU