Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

jomiel posted:

Edit: I have a sock question:

In Ann Budd's Getting Started Knitting Socks book, in the heel portion of each stitch directions, there is a line like "k10(11,12,12,14) then turn around and p20(22, 24, 26,28)" and then supposed to use these stitches to do the heel flap. But the expanded explanations with diagrams in the front section of the book doesn't have this. Is this additional half-row on the left supposed to compensation or the additional half-row that comes in the short rows for the heel? If I do this, would my heel look a bit lopsided? And does it matter if I do this additional row or not?

I've never seen that in sock instructions before. Weird.

I've also neve noticed a lopsidedness in my socks, so you're probably safe leaving it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
The idea is that you don't leave it in too long and over-felt it. Like you said, not so important with a purse.

For what it's worth, my front-loading washer can be stopped in the middle of the cycle by turning the dial to "stop". It doesn't drain that way, so you have to be careful reaching into the hot water and so on, but it's helpful in a felting emergency.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
I recently discovered and am obsessed with TechKnitting : http://techknitting.blogspot.com/

Not updated very often, but I find it pretty fascinating whenever it is.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
So I am knitting the fir cone shawl right now, from Folk Shawls. I decided to use the same modifications that Eunny Jang used in hers (google for awe-inspiring pictures) which involves much smaller yarn and needles than called for.

Right now I'm nearing the end of the second chart for the borders. There are 202 stitches per side, for a grand total of 808 stitches total EVERY ROUND. Every odd round is charted lace and every even round is all knit stitches.

And I just realized I made a misatke on one side.

Which means ripping out 404 lace stitches and then 808 knit stitches.

Someone please pour me a drink. :cry:

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

The Virgin Mary posted:

OUCH.

You may already be doing this, but here's what I learned after finding myself in a similar situation: start threading Lifelines.

I was working on a Crystalline shawl and accidentally drank a bottle of wine, and thus some irreparable damage was done. I was whining to my LYS person and she told me about these. I use them on nearly everything now, not just lace.

Ha. I knit my first pair of socks stinking drunk. That was a good idea...

I probably should have used one, yeah. It was going so well up until that point though! This isn't the first mistake I've made of course, but it's the first time I haven't noticed until it was too late. Usually I figure it out because something doesn't match up at the end of the row. :(

Anyway, yeah. I'll probably stick in a lifeline when I rip back. Tomorrow.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Pile of Kittens posted:

See if you can pick up the row below the fuckup before you start ripping, like this shows you here: http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter03/FEATwin03TT.html

Ooh, that's a good idea too.

I may just put in a lifeline before ripping, if I can stomach it. This yarn is TINY and the needles are small and it's a 24 inch circular with 800-something stitches on it so it's really hard to see what's going on, but anything - ANYTHING - would be better than ripping back and somehow losing a bunch of YOs or god only knows what else.

God, I hate pulling out SK2pssos. UGH.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Kalista posted:

I have my "drunk" knitting (usually plain stockingette socks) and my "not even a glass of wine knitting". Yarn-overs and alcohol don't mix well with me.

I'm about two-thirds of the way through the Wing o the Moth shawl, using Douceur et Soie yarn, a mohair and silk blend. It's not too complicated though, purling on the wrong side, and ends up being really easy lace to read. The biggest downside is looking like I had an aquamarine cat sitting on my lap when I'm done knitting it. drat mohair. I can't wait to finish it though!

Lifelines have been my friend, though I haven't had to use them yet (knock on wood)

http://www.knitspot.com/knitting_pattern/wing-of-the-moth-shawlscarf-p-7.html

I thought I would find lace incredibly confusing, but really I think reading the stitches is the only skill truely necessary. I've gotten a lot better at telling the difference between decreases thanks to this project! Completely lost count of the number of times I had to look at every single stitch in a row while muttering the repeat to myself to figure out where I screwed it all up.

That shawl is gorgeous!

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Pile of Kittens posted:

See, why would you even try to put yourself through something like that? I only crochet with yarn that small.

Good luck! I say you put the lifeline in while sober, and then get sobbing drunk and rip it and complain a lot, and take pictures. It's the way REAL knitters do it.

I'm a dyed in the wool (haha) knitting masochist. When I said I knitted my first sock stinking drunk? It was also about a two weeks after I learned to knit. Apparently I love torturing myself.

I still haven't fixed this. It's been like three days. Miraculously, I keep finding better things to do...

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
I did the mohair lace thing too, but luckily I quit two pattern repeats in because I could not get the stitch count to stay what it was supposed to be. I'm so lazy I never even tried to frog it. I think it's still on the needles in my stash box.

I'm still tinking my shawl. I did a whole round worth (809 stitches I think) and then I found the mistake (at least one of them) and now I'm pulling out just that row. No way am I going to do another entire round just to get back to where the mistake was made. I'll have a giant float in the back to be my working yarn for re-knitting this row, and then I can just go back and pick up again with the knit even round.

If I don't stab myself in the eye with the needles first.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Kalista posted:

I realized I hadn't started a new half-pattern repeat in a triangle section of my mohair shawl - 8 rows later. I decided to only tink back 4 rows because I could live with 2 right-side rows being pattern-less. It took me over an hour per row to knit back, and just last night I was able to start reknitting that section. I was hoping to try to finish it in time to wear to the symphony tonight, but obviously that ain't happening.

Mohair! :argh:

Oh God, I feel your pain. I really, really do. I'm still halfway through tinking my stupid thing, and it's not even mohair.

I should have used lighter color yarn, perhaps. Or maybe I should have just thrown myself in front of a bus.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Goldaline posted:

I actually had an idea I'd like to bounce by my fellow knitters. I recently was invited to put a piece in a local 'eco-fashion' show. For the past week or so I've been hoarding old sweaters and frogging them completely back to balls of yarn. I was thinking of grouping them by color, and knitting with 8-10 balls at once on very large needles and making a very, very big cable. Just a cable. Then I'll probably make it into some kind of garment, but my main concern now is--will it be terribly difficult to knit with that many strands at once? Will I get all tangled? Should I spin them together into a mega-yarn before attempting this? (I've never spun before...)

I've seen people do it before, I'm sure it's possible without any spinning. I was actually accosted by a crazy guy in a Papa Gino's once who was doing that. He was nuts but the blanket he was knitting looked cool. :)

I think really the key is giant needles. And patience.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

fap posted:

You do knit nice and straight, especially for your first project. And I want to give your doggies kisses! I still have my first swatch, which was supposed to be a square. It's more like a smiley face and has tons of dropped stitches. Whenever I'm on a difficult pattern, I break out my swatch to remind that I've come a long way. Oh, and it's great to show people who want to learn how to knit, and then show them a current or finished project. I guess I'm just a little crazy :)

Also, I lost my brand new wallet while visiting a yarn store in California, so I'm bummed. It was a pretty nice (and brand new) wallet too. :( I did pick up some Kureyon for a hat, and some Noro Taiyo too. I love the Taiyo (cotton, silk, wool and nylon), it's pretty soft. Has anyone else heard of this yarn, cause it's the first I've seen it.

I just saw it for the first time on Monday (I got to go to WEBS). It's beautiful! I love Noro.

I bought $50 worth of sock yarn. I need help.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Pile of Kittens posted:

I made more yarn. Hand-dyed and spun by me!

Lately I've been getting the urge to learn how to spin, and I suspect it's really only because I just can't wrap my head around how it works at all. Lord knows it's not like I have time for the hobbies I have NOW and need another one.

Anyway, lovely stuff!

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
I just looked back up in the thread, and I posted on April 28th that I had majorly hosed up my fir cone shawl.

I JUST finished fixing it, this past weekend. I was in major denail for a long time, and then I took ages to pick back the stitches (no way could I have ripped and actually picked them all up again). Picking out lace stitches SUCKS rear end. Especially tripple decreases. Goddamn.

When I got back to the section where I had screwed up, instead of going around and picking out a whole other round, I just picked out the stithces from that side - leaving a really long float that was the working yarn when I first knitted that section. Attached at both ends. Then I put it down for another few weeks...

Of course when I re-knit it I ended up running out of yarn at the end of the row, because my tension must have been slightly tighter this time around (I WONDER WHY) and I had to go back and loosed each stitch...and then I had too much leftover and had to tighten up, and then I had to transfer the stitches back to the other needle so I could start knitting the normal way again and they were all really tight...argh!

But I'm back on track. I've been working on this drat thing for two years now. Only three chart rows and an edging to go...(watch me run out of yarn).

Whenever people tell me that knitting must be such a nice, relaxing hobby, I just laugh.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Shnooks posted:

Stupid question coming up!

I am knitting these and the ribbing around the wrist is loose. My hands are also super duper tiny.

Do you think it'd be strange if I weaved elastic into there?

Some people get elastic thread in a matching color to knit into the ribbing on socks, so I don't think it would be terribly weird at all, no.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

elbow posted:

^^^^ This is pretty much why I have yet to do any lace, it just scares the hell out of me, and I would never have enough patience and discipline to actually finish it.

It's really not that different than anything else - it helps to be able to "read" your knitting (like, look at the previous row and follow the chart and make sure you did it right) rather than just counting on # of stitches. I SHOULD have noticed that I was doing something wrong because I ought to have run out of stitches at the end of the row, but I guess I wasn't paying attention that one time.

Now that I've fixed my little problem, I have ten rounds to go, and then the edging. If I can not make any more gently caress-ups, all I really have to worry about is running out of yarn (I swear I had another skein of this somewhere but I can't remember how many times I've joined new balls on and of course I used the really fantastic invisible felted join).

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
I really love the knitpicks circulars I have - seriously the easiest cable on a circular needle I have ever used (and I've used some seriously expensive needles). The only thing stopping me from getting the set is that the smallest needle size you can get is 4 and this pisses me off for some reason. I want to use it for magic loop and stuff with teeny needles and sock yarn or something. Hmph.

I'm knitting even as I read this thread, I just started a Hemlock Ring blanket. Man, this is a pretty pattern. I'm already thinking of making a second one as a Christmas present.

Is there a goon knitting group on Ravelry? I'm on there but I basically use it as a pattern search machine, I haven't explored the other parts of the site much at all.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Look Under The Rock posted:

Today I had a Yarn Snob Moment -- I am teaching my boyfriend's six-year-old to knit and she began playing with the cat by teasing him with my brand-new ball of Lamb's Pride. She's totally oblivious, just throwing it around the room and I'm feeling my sphincter tighten and I'm going "Wait Lily, that's actually nice yarn, take this instead..." and start looking around for some acrylic...

...and couldn't find any. I didn't want to be one of those annoying uptight people who get all up in arms when you touch their nice yarn, but I really didn't want the cat chewing on my Noro or Lamb's Pride and I just didn't have any crappy yarn around.

Curses.

I have an entire tupperware under-the-bed storage thing of yarn I bought before I knew what the hell I was doing. Too bad I don't have any cats.

I cannot believe it took me until just now to get the thread title/ravelry group pun. Shameful.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Finally got around to taking some pictures of my stuff in progress (except I forgot the shawl I'm still not done with and the neckwarmer I made in a day and a half but still haven't put the button on).

I need to work on my photography skills.

Hemlock Ring blanket. If anyone is planning on knitting this, be aware that the chart Brooklyn Tweed offered to go with the original line-by-line instructions is correct but it's sort of lined up wrong. This is Cascade 220 I bought because I was totally going to design and knit a cardigan for myself. Ha.

Scarf...this is the "fern lace" pattern on Ravelry - very simple, made with Art Yarns. 100% silk/70% mohair 30% silk. Gorgeous stuff, quite a splurge though.

Wine and Roses mitts in nice orange Alpaca Sox that I got on sale - I love these but if I made them again I'd do something different with the bottom (it curles) and do more repeats at the top (my fingertips get cold, too, dammit). Also I'd probably use a smoother yarn, this is nice stuff but it's fuzzy and that sort of obscures the lace pattern.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

philkop posted:

Hey there, new knitter here. Been knitting for about a month or two and all I've made so far is scarves and beanies. Working my way up to a nifty cardigan soon, but I was wondering what you guys use to stitch up pieces. Iv watched youtube vids and read how tos, but with all the amazing knits I see here I figure I should ask the goons. Iv been "Mattress stitching" if you want to call it that. My pathetic excuse for a mattress stitch leaves hideous gaping holes in all my beanies! Any alternatives? perhaps I'll start working them in the round.

I would definitely reccomend knitting them in the round - even perfect seaming leaves a line of selvedge inside, and that's ok for sweaters but on a hat or gloves or socks I wouldn't want it. Well, maybe a hat with a seam is less objectionable, depending on how much hair you have and such.

Mattress stitch shouldn't leave big holes though - maybe check out a tutorial in case you learned it from a bad source or something? Here's one from knitty that I used: http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEspring04/mattress.html

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Santclair posted:

Hey knitters, what's going on here?

On the left needle is a long-tail cast on, on the right is the knit, in the center is :confused:

I'm trying to teach myself and was practicing just the basic knit when I found the gap between my needles getting larger...and larger...and larger...
I get the impression that this isn't supposed to happen :(

What's causing it? are my cast-ons too loose/knit stitches too tight? It seems to be drawing slack from the left.

Also, what in god's name are you supposed to do with the tails once you're done casting on?

I don't know...do you still have the same number of stitches you cast on? I've had that happen when trying to join in the round and one of my cast on stitches gets dropped off the needles. See how it's two strands of yarn? A cast on stitch is just one strand looped through another, so if it pulled out it would probably look just like that.

It could just be tension though.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Talise posted:

I'm pretty sure these (Boye Needles) are the needles in question. It really depends on the size of your Michaels as to whether or not they have them. If they do, they're in with the normal needle selection. If you have a Joann's or Hobby Lobby they carry them as well. The set is usually listed at 69.99, which means you pay $35-44 for them depending on the coupon.

Do yourself a favor however, and just order the Knit Picks.They're dreamy. Promise.

I told my dad to tell everyone in my family that I would love those knitpicks interchangables. God willing I won't get an ugly sweater that doesn't fit this year.

I do love the knitpicks circulars, they're so...slinky. And I just splurged on myself this afternoon and bought three sets of 0, 1, and 2 addi turbos. Mmm.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

nolen posted:

Speaking of circulars, what's the set of interchangeables that's recommended around these parts?

I'm drawn to the Denise set, but the Harmony set looks nice as well. Does it really boil down to personal preference?

I've heard good things about the Denises but never used them.

I just got a Knitpicks set for Christmas from my sister in law and it's lovely.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

jomiel posted:

That's pretty awesome! For some reason I keep trying to imagine it as a hood though, with an extra little cowl neckpiece at the top.

My new sock project:

edit: a question: I bought the KnitPicks Harmony wood sock needles, and they are so much smoother than my bamboo DPNs. Does this mean my gauge will become looser than before, since I can't pull on the yarn as tight?

Ooooh...what pattern is that?

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

teknicolor posted:

You say boot sock, but I don't see myself ever being able to wear those with boots without coming away with really strange sock lines on my leg. :P

Anyway I'm working on my first large project omg omg here's the rav link. God I hope it turns out ok I'm worried about the picking up stitches thing I have to do for the arms/neck.

Picking up stitches freaked me out the first time I did it, too. A good idea is to divide the area you're picking the stitches up from into sections and divide the number of stitches you need to pick up so you know you need X number of stitches picked up in each section - it's easier than making 100 stitches fit evenly into a whole armscrye or whatever.

I had to pick up something like 400 stitches around a shawl a while back and doing that was the only way to save my sanity.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Mnemosyne posted:

I've only dabbled a little bit with knitting in the round (due to the fact that I was using those annoying Clover bamboo circulars with the super stiff cables), so correct me if this is wrong. I've read that you don't actually need a second set of the same size tips for knitting in the round with two circulars. Since you're only technically knitting with two of the tips, and then sliding the work down/back around to the other end, the ends that you are knitting off of can technically be one size smaller than the tips you're knitting on to. Then you don't have to buy a second set of tips of the same size.

I'm pretty sure the rule is that whenever you're knitting with two needles in the round you always use two ends of the SAME needle, then switch to the other needle and use both ends of that one. Knitting from one off onto the other one would land you with all the stitches on one needle and I don't know what you'd do then.

I could be massively wrong, though. It's not like it's never happened before.

I mean, that would work if you were using the interchangable ones and taking the one set of tips off the cord for one side, knitting the other side, and then switching the tips to the other cable...is that what you mean? Two cables, one set of tips?

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
To me it looks like they want you to start chart A but at the very beginning you start on stitch seven - you're starting the chart in the middle but then you repeat so you'd do stitchs 7-10 - so purl, purl, purl, purl, then you go back to the beginning of chart A and do 1-10 four times. Then you do chart B, then you do chart C 1-10 four times and then you do chart C just the first four stitches.

It's just to make the very middle of the middle chart actually end up in the middle of the sweater.

Am I making sense?

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Blue_monday posted:

I'm coming to my wits end here. Where can I find a good place to order wool online? (that will ship to Canada)

I was looking for Malabrigo yarn but I'm open to any website with a decent selection in various fibers.

WEBS ships to Canada, although I don't know if it's much more costly or what. (yarn.com)

Also Knitpicks, although they only sell knitpicks brand yarn, but it's amazingly cheap and quality so you might find something you like there.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Lackadaisical posted:

ARG, I'm so jealous of all of you. Almost four years ago I taught myself to knit and I still haven't had the courage to get past simple scarves or an insanely easy bag.

How did all of you get to the point you are now? Some of the stuff you people knit is amazing!

Just go for it. I started a sock within two weeks of knitting, and it's not because I'm a genius - just remember, there's really only TWO kinds of stitches, and you only ever do one stitch at a time. :) You can do anything, it just might take longer than usual if it's super complicated.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
I once spent $80 on TWO skeins of yarn which I made ONE scarf out of. I was feeling kinda indulgent that day for sure.

It's an awesome scarf though. No regrets. :)

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Lackadaisical posted:

I was wondering if someone can help me track down a pattern or just give me instructions. I'm looking to knit a tube thats open on one end and closed on the other. It needs to be about 2-3" in diameter.

Help? :)

edit: I should mention I don't have DPNs and have no idea how to use them anyway

Yeah, the easiest way would be DPNS. They're easy to use though! It's exactly like knitting flat except you have some extra needles acting as stitch holders on the other sides, basically. You only ever knit with two needles at a time, just like you would if you were using straights or circs.

The best thing about dpns is that you can knit down to whatever tiny number of stitches you want, even just three.

Oh, you could do it with two circs too. In that case half the stitches go on each needle and the only rule you need to remember is only use ONE circ at a time to knit - don't knit stitches from one onto the other.

Personally I'd start with the open end and then decrease every other round until it was like three stitches and just sew it up.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
For whatever reason I canNOT do continental or combined. It feels so wrong to my hands. And I have really good hand eye coordination (20+ years of piano).

Oh well. At least I'm decently fast at it the way I do it.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Admiral Goodenough posted:

Wow, this is my next project for sure. I often lose interest in a sock project after I've finished the first one. I have a lot of single socks in my drawer.

Aaaand I'm continental all the way. Actually, I think that knitting a lot and using my left hand to carry and move the thread has helped me gain more dexterity in my left hand.

It's really easy, once you get past the casting on! I tend to cast on to a separate needle and then slide everything over. All you really have to do is 1. keep track of which ball of yarn goes with which project (otherwise they'll be stuck together) and the usual 'only knit with two ends of one needle at a time" rule for working with two circs.

I'm using this method right now to knit two mittens at once, but of course I've complicated it VASTLY by having them be colorwork mittens so I've got uh...six balls of yarn going at once.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
It is eight thousand degrees right now and I don't even have air conditioning and I'm knitting 100% wool socks. I'm even wearing the finished one on one foot because I always do that while I knit the mate.

This is a special kind of insanity.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

zamiel posted:

I don't know if I missed it or not, but I just remembered about Freecycle, and hopefully just snagged myself a bag of misc. yarn for free. Just waiting to hear back from the lady. If anyone else out there is as dirt poor as I am right now, can't hurt to take a look, or maybe give out some yarn you got as gifts that you just hate to other folks who could use it :)

Another good way to get lots of yarn for pretty cheap is to buy a decent sweater from goodwill and rip it up. Just make sure the seams are stitched up, not cut and sewn.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

RubySprinkles posted:

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you should try using smaller needles, like a size 11 or 10.5. As for felting, be sure to keep an eye on it if you are machine felting. (I find hand-felting a bitch, so I usually machine felt.)

Right now the gauge she's getting is 15 stitches=4 inches - that's more stitches to the inch. She wants less stitches to the inch, so bigger stitches, bigger needles.

That said, 10.5 stitches/4 inches is less than 3 stitches to the inch - that's REALLY big to me. I can't imagine getting that with two strands of worsted. Most big bulky yarns are 3 or 4 to the inch. Maybe it's a mistake?

Felted patterns are really forgiving anyway, I'd just go with it. Maybe look it up on ravelry and see if anyone else mentions this same issue.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Z Is Overrated posted:

I don't mind recalculating patterns like this, it's just that I'm always worried about running out of yarn and then having to get yarn from a different dye lot whenever I do. But now that I think about it, any weird color changes that come from adding yarn would be covered up by the "hair", so I think I'm gonna do this.

I did look it up on Ravelry before, but I didn't see anybody mention having any problems with it, so I just assumed I was making the mistake here. It's good to hear that it should be forgiving though.

Thanks a lot, I'll start it again tomorrow.

I found one person who had the same problem you did. I'm really surprised though, I can't imagine getting less than three stitches to the inch with two strands of worsted. Maybe I just knit tight (I don't think so though? I usually have to go down a needle size or so).

Also thanks a lot for making me want to knit those too. Goddamn adorable.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Z Is Overrated posted:

Make them, we can be slipper buddies!

But I have seven hundred projects on the needles right now!

(Ok, this has never stopped me before...)

Hmm. Planning a trip to WEBS soon anyway...

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
I am having a bad knitting week.

First I spent hours casting on for two socks at a time - the Dancing Sock from New Pathways for Sock knitters - which has a really tricky cast on - and knit on them for ages after doing all the math to make them work with that yarn because my gauge was different AND I needed a different size for my foot and then tonight I realized the two balls of yarn I bought are different. I thought they were just slightly different because of handpainted yarn, but one has green in it and the other totally, completely DOESN'T. They're different. Or one is wildly wrong. I bought that yarn like a year ago and wound it into balls in December and never freaking noticed this?

THEN I got so mad about that I immediately put the socks away and cast on for another sock and then I knit for a bit and then I took the dog out, and when we came back I stupidly left him downstairs while I ran upstairs to change my clothes and when I got back all but 3 of the dpns were missing. What the HELL could he have done with them? He couldn't have eaten them, that makes no sense. They're gone!

ARGH.

Thank GOD I bought a bottle of wine on the way home today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

CureMinorWounds posted:

Should I wait to block it until I have knitted out the back and sewn it on? Or should I knit out the back, block it, and then sew it together? I have honestly never used the steam setting on my iron, so I don't know how well it works.

I pondered knitting it that way, but I wondered if it would give the letters a wonky edge, I'll give it a try later though, going to be busy for today.

The usual advice is to block the pieces separately to the same size - you might use a mat with grid lines on it to help with that - and then sew them together. That way you're sure they're exactly the same size. And it's easier to sew things together that have been blocked already, they're not so unwieldy and curly and stuff.