Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Oh, I've waited for this day (as you can tell by my name) but that doesn't mean I've prepared. So I only have one knit out of 5+ years of knitting on my PC. :shobon:

Everyone, meet Socket!

Isn't he cute? Socket loves giving people flowers and cutting the heads off of mean people. I made up the pattern as I went along, and the eyes were Needle-Felted.

Once I find my camera I'll get some pictures of my other monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Cathis posted:

My god, all I have is 1/8 of a lumpy scarf :(
How long did it take you all to get to a point where you were competent? I still have to stare intently at my needles for doing anything at all.

It took me a year to get decent at knitting, and about three years to get to the point I could do it with my eyes closed. But I still can't do fair isle for the life of me, so it's one of those annoying never-ending adventures :v:

Wandering Knitter fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Oct 6, 2008

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I handspin too, but I'm all out of practice. I used to do it all of the time in college since the student store sold a large ziploc bag filled with roving for ten dollars.

Anyway, does anyone here know any good online patterns for a felted messanger bag? My Aunt Nancy gave me a whole bunch of wool for Christmas and I could use a new bag. A few years ago I tried winging making a messanger bag and it sort of shrunk into a purse.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I'm not too sure where else to turn to, so I'll ask here. I just picked up Knitalong and I've fallen in love with a pattern for a felted paper crane. There's just one problem.

I cannot, for the life of me, figure this pattern out.

Everything goes fine and dandy till I get to this point.:

Row 4: CO 2 stitches, knit till end. (18 sts)

Row 5: CO 2 stitches, purl till end. (20 sts)

6-11: Repeat rows 4-5. (32 sts)

Easy so far. Then this happens!

Row 7: BO 2 stitches, work to end. (30 sts)

8-12: Repeat Row 7 (20 sts)

So...what the hell do I do? It sounds like for rows 7-11 I CO and BO 2 each time, but that really doesn't seem to make any sense. The numbers wouldn't be decreasing, and I'd just be binding off something I just casted on. It's getting to the point where I'm going to re-write the pattern from scratch.

Anyone have any ideas what to do?

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Anne Whateley posted:

By "work" I think it just means "knit or purl, depending." That way you would be decreasing by 2 every row.

But what about the "6-11 repeat 4-5"? Wouldn't that mean I'd have to CO as well as BO on those rows?

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Anne Whateley posted:

A very nice and well thought out pattern.

That looks a lot better. I'll give this a shot right after I finish with Crane Experiment #3.

Anne Whateley posted:

Can you tell us what part of the crane you're making so we can at least try to figure out what shape you should be winding up with?

It's supposed to be shaping the wings. Honestly, when I first saw the picture I thought I would be knitting the neck/body/tail and then picking up the stitches for the wings. In fact, that's the experiment I'm working on at the moment.

Anne Whateley posted:

Otherwise, how are you liking Knitalong? I love the Doppio Gauntlets and especially the Eden Scarf to pieces, but not much else of the book really appeals to me, and the libraries here don't have it :argh:

Pretty much those two patterns and the cranes. I guess I like the pinwheel blanket, but that pattern's as old as the internet as far as I can tell. It's not a great book, but my Mom picked it up when she saw the cranes. She knows I've been going nuts over the past month trying to think of a good Christmas present to make people and thought of me. :shobon: Oh Mom.

Nrapture posted:

Agreed. According to Ravelry, this crane by Seann McKeel is the one in the book (or based on). It has the CO rows completed before the BO rows start.

And this pattern makes perfect sense! Guess they decided to shorten the pattern for the book (it's on a single page) and messed things up. Thank you, both of you, for helping me out. I was afraid I was just missing something painfully obvious in the pattern. :v:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I finished my first knitted paper crane!

The image isn't great, but it's the best I can do until I find my 'real' camera. It came out a bit lopsided, but even when I blocked it out it refused to straighten out all of the way. I'm afraid everything I make is cursed to come out demented.

Now to make 19 more before Christmas! :downs:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Does anyone know any good patterns for a stuffed Octopus or a stuffed dog/wolf? I have two birthdays coming up and I was totally distracted by Christmas present making and forgot. :(

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Rockets posted:

I don't know about wolf, but this lady on etsy has great patterns. I recently purchased the owl pattern, it is way over my head but I'm hoping that by next Christmas I'll be able to make everyone an owl for their stocking. She has Octopus and Dumbo Octopus.

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5162135

I love her stuff, but the octopus is going to go to a baby. I think I'm just going to make a ball with legs for maximum chewage.

And I can't find a dog patter anywhere. Guess people don't think dogs are cute. :(

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I did it.

Twenty God drat knitted and felted paper cranes.

I don't care if no one liked them. I'm proud that I was able to finish all of them perfectly before today.

Go me.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
You can wind the normal balls of yarn, you just don't use the umbrella swift! Which reminds me, I really need to get a new ball winder. I got mine years ago and it's pretty much only holding on from sheer will. If anyone knows if cheap ones exist now I'll love to hear it.

And I'm afraid all I have are some crappy cell phone pics of the birds. I was in a rush to get them all wrapped for the holidays.

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

There's twenty all together. I actually had to take a three day break halfway through because my thumb and index finger got all red and swollen from the sewing.

In the end people liked it, but I'm pretty sure they were disappointed I didn't make Demented Bunnies again this year. I'm already typecasted.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
The one's I've always seen at stores were the metal screw-on ones. I got them cheap but I never use them. Instead I stick with the Denis plastic ones.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
My Mom has carpal tunnel (crocheter), and so did my best friend in college (knitter). There's gloves made for people to help the pain while knitting (ask at your local yarn store) and I think they would just take a lot of breaks between rows.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
The only problem I've had with Denise is I have broken them in the past by snapping the black connecting part right off. I'm not gentle at all. :(

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
What a cute idea! :3: And a lot less tacky then sticking the same thing on a sweater.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I have one, but I keep forgetting that the site exists until someone mentions it.

Like right now!

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I don't know how many of you here are also nerds, but The Sun has the Sackboy (from Little Big Planet) pattern from Simply Knitting for download.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/fun/gizmo/article2056598.ece

I don't even own a PS3 and I want to make it.

It's an Alan Dart pattern, too! I love it when my two favorite past times come together.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I've come to torment you all again!

I just got a knitting pattern for the most freaking adorable octopus ever http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=19842343 but I've already hit a hiccup.

The pattern has k1tb1 in it. Googling it leads to some japanese patterns of all things. Does anyone know what this means? I've emailed the pattern's creator, but I haven't heard back from her yet.

Anyone have an idea?

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

hollaback grandma posted:

PS: How do you guys stave off self-hate after you screw up a project you've spent lots of time and money on? I'm dealing with those feelings at the moment...

It depends.

If it's wool I cut it up, sew it together, and re-felt into something new. I had a failed lunch bag that turned into a pretty sweet demented teddy bear. I'd take a picture of it, but my cousin' cat as claimed it as it's own.

If it's not wool I hide it in a special box I have filled with abandoned or failed projects and I pretend it never happened. :ohdear:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Pickle Pie posted:

Ravelry plug

:swoon:

He's adorable! I want to make one now!

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I wish knitty would do another "small gifts" issue. I always love looking at their patterns, but I really don't knit shawls, sweaters, or socks. :smith:

But a bird from the mobile is perfect for my Mom's birthday, so that's something.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Molly Bloom posted:

Following the shawl incident, I have prepared everything for my first steek tomorrow.

I may die.

I actually had to google "steek".

:gonk: I'm so sorry.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
When my cousin Jennie announced her new baby was going to have an ocean theme I promised I'd make the kid an Octopus. I searched far and wide for a good pattern, but only one of them included suckers. Here is a very fuzzy picture of Jake's Octopus. I finished it about a week ago and the baby was born last Tuesday.

Click here for the full 712x533 image.

Here's the underside where you can see all of the suckers. And for the record the 'legs' aren't supposed to curve, but I think they look better doing that.

This is Little Jake, the owner of the Octopus.

e: Here's the pattern from etsy. Notice that my octopus looks almost nothing like it. http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=19842343

Wandering Knitter fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Mar 29, 2009

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I don't know if this is kosher, and if it's not I'll edit it but I figure I'll let you guys know I'm selling off my knitting books in SA-Mart:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3129599

Now with cheaper prices!

Wandering Knitter fucked around with this message at 07:15 on May 10, 2009

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Aardvarklet posted:

In case anyone's interested, there's a seller on Etsy who's got a bunch of Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino for sale at the ridiculous price of $3. My LYS carries it for about $9.

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6218510

I already picked up 8 of them. Shipping is pretty cheap too.

Bye bye money. :ohdear:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
The only yarn stores near me are really, really fancy. There isn't a single ball of yarn under $10, and I've seen it go as high as $50.

Most my yarn comes from Micheals and Wal-Mart. I'm poor. :smith:

Z Is Overrated posted:

I would like to get more fancy yarn from Etsy or something one of these days, but honestly I know I'd be too afraid of wasting it to ever actually use it.

I once bought a beautiful $25 skein and somehow managed to lose it. I think that scarred me for life.

Wandering Knitter fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 25, 2009

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Thinking about it, most of my current stash has come from Flea Market finds. I got lucky and hit two men looking to unload their ex's collections this year so far.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I have a dyeing question.

I'm getting some undyed silk, and I was wondering if there was a good method to dye it. The only dyeing I've ever done in the past is with Koolaid, and I imagine that wouldn't really work with silk.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Lackadaisical posted:

ARG, I'm so jealous of all of you. Almost four years ago I taught myself to knit and I still haven't had the courage to get past simple scarves or an insanely easy bag.

How did all of you get to the point you are now? Some of the stuff you people knit is amazing!

As soon as I got scarves down I just made more and more complicated items using squares and rectangles. Geometry class finally came in handy! :v:

But the real step between knitting and awesome knitting is figuring out how to use double-pointed needles. After that the world is your oyster.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Aardvarklet posted:

Just saw the new Knitty's up...

Knitty and I seem to have vastly different ideas on what would make a good Christmas present and what wouldn't. I don't even know where those split-mittens would come in handy.

On the other hand I love that little crab :3:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Genpei Turtle posted:

It reminds me of that fake fox stole knitting pattern/kit that pretty much convinced me pick up knitting in the first place.

Man, I gotta find that pattern again. :v:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Z Is Overrated posted:

This guy?

Yes, that's it! Every year I read over the pattern and just when I start looking for the right yarn I remember a birthday or holiday coming up that I need to knit for. I can't remember the last time I knitted for myself.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Ruggedor posted:

So my question is what to do with 2.2 pounds of navy blue wool yarn. I’m so overwhelmed! Help!?

I'll take it off your hands :v:

But if you don't want to send wool off to a strange internet person, I'd suggest testing how it felts and then make yourself a really nice messenger bag.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Malleus Maleficarum posted:

So...pretty...:swoon:

If it makes you feel any better I dropped the same amount during my vacation on yarn, and it's just a grab-bag of random balls. I have no idea what I'll make with them. :ohdear:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I want a magical yarn festival in NJ. :saddowns:

I have to go all of the way to PA to get some super-homemade goodness!

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Firequirks posted:

I guess I'm going to have to break down and order some metal 2mm DPNs online.

I've done that before. :ohdear: After you break some really fancy wood needles you got for your birthday you learn not to knit so tight on small needles.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Anne Whateley posted:

I've knitted a bunch of things on bamboo DPNs but never felt like anything was even coming close to breaking.

Bamboo dpns are the poo poo. I've had clover for years and they're pretty much all I never knit with and I've never had any trouble.

Just stay away from plain wood. :smithicide:

Speaking of which, did anyone else getting that knitting magazine with the free dpns and stitch holder inside? They're pretty much the worst needles I've ever held.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

madlilnerd posted:

I find I am much faster if I work knit rows with the yarn in my right hand and purl rows holding the yarn with my left, but I've been told by everyone I know who knits (who I didn't teach) that this is weird.

You're weird. :v:

I've always found it to be one of those varies from person to person. Some people knit faster one way, some the other. Me, I'm like the slowest knitter I know. I'll take me a month or so for even a small project.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Please stop tormenting me with Noro. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Tatiana posted:

Fall knitty is out! :derp:

Mostly just socks and sweaters. Again. :sigh:

I have to admit that Zozo is a good base for me to modify for my own creations, and I really could have used Sweetspot back when I was in college and had way more free time and access to cool yarn. But outside of that isn't another issue of stuff I don't want to make. Guess it's back to working on my Christmas presents.