Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

CureMinorWounds posted:

So I went and wrote my own pattern for a cabled scarf that's reversible, cause I really didn't wanna have an ugly wrong side to a lovely scarf.

Check it out on my Ravelry! What do you guys think? Does it look neato? I'm pretty proud of how it turned out!

Witchcraft! :catstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Fooley posted:

I'm working on a double-knit scarf with acrylic and my thumb is KILLING me.

I'm working on a double-knit cowl in acrylic too! I've found that going extremely slow helps.

The downside is that after two weeks I'm about ten rows in. Only 46 to go! :suicide:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I think the main problem with knitty is that it hasn't changed in almost twelve years. Back when it first came out I remember that it was the place to go for knitting patterns online. Your only other option was following various knitting blogs and those horrible '100 free patterns in no order!' websites. Knitty was the first place for designer-quality patterns all in one place.

But right now there's no real reason for it to exist anymore. If I wanted to make a shawl I'd go to raverly for a pattern. If I made a pattern (either for free or for sale) I'd post it on raverly. It would be one thing if knitty had amazing patterns that you couldn't find anywhere else, but for years I feel as if the patterns are always some sort of shawl, socks, and maybe a hat. Nothing special at all.

On the other hand, that rainbow plushie is cute. :shobon:

And Anne Whateley, maybe you could help me out over PM. I've been meaning to knit myself fingerless gloves forever, but I got the weirdest shaped hands in the world. I have yet to find any that fit me even after careful measurement. :smith:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I actually like the style of the connectivity gloves. But then I looked up the silverspun yarn it uses and I was not prepared for that level of crazy.

Also Octo is adorable and there is no way in hell I'll ever knit it.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Anne Whateley posted:

They used to claim it was totally tarnishproof, which is obviously 100% bullshit, but apparently the lawyers got to them on that one. The way they're advertising it as a cure-all (totally not a medicine WINK WINK!!) is really gross and awful. Literally preying on old ladies and scamming them for poo poo. I'm all for conductive gloves, but man, gently caress SilverSpun. I should go through their stuff and find actionable claims we can report to the FDA.

I didn't even think about it tarnishing! I was focused more on having thin threads of silver poking into my skin or maybe it flaking out of the glove through day-to-day use.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Look at this.

This is a photo on a professional website.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Word of advice? Hit up MsBabs first. Like as soon as you can. The last yarn festival I went to that stand was INSANE. Huge lines and filled with people. I couldn't even get close to it!

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Valdara posted:

What's so awesome about MsBabs? Everyone keeps saying the same things about how amazing it is, but no one says what's amazing about it.

I honestly have no idea. I only found out about MsBabs because of the huge mob of people. When I asked my knitting group about it they all answered along the lines of "It's MsBabs! MSBABS!!!"

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

MarsDragon posted:

I made mittens! The pattern is Robots vs Downtown, and the yarn is Claudia Handpaints fingering. The yarn was actually pretty bullshit, there were three separate spots where one ply just disappeared so I had to break and rejoin it. Plus I know there's a break in the remaining variegated yarn somewhere, because it broke when I was winding it on. Screw you, Claudia.

Still, they came out really well. Now I'm casting on my big gradient handspun for a shawl. We'll see how that goes.

Holy poo poo that is amazing :stare:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

New Knitty is up.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I love how the author tries to make Hybrid Vigour sound like a brilliant new knitting idea when it's just a poncho. A slightly fancy poncho, but it's a drat poncho.

Correction. It's a poncho that bunches up horribly on one shoulder. I want to reach into every photo and adjust the damned thing.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

petecas posted:

Haha, naalbinding thread in there! Time to take it far more seriously than anyone expected.

I am in awe of your naalbinding skills :stare:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Well, I hope no one here backed the FibroFibers kickstarter, because the comments are filled with people demanding refunds. Looks like the old 'took the money and ran' kickstarter story.

I almost backed this one, too. Dodged that bullet.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
My favorite part is this comment from her:

quote:

The other thing I want to address is that Kickstarter rewards are not preorders. Kickstarter is not a shopping platform. Kickstarter is a way for people to support projects they're interested in and the perks are just that - perks.

It's your own fault for supporting me and expecting something after I told you that you would get something in return for your support!

e: Holy poo poo, that form post of her's is amazing! Cold Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeping! :argh:

Wandering Knitter fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Apr 21, 2015

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I did that for a year when my yarn stash got too out of hand. It worked wonders, but the side effect was whenever I'd go to a yarn store I'd buy some notions or patterns instead. Guess I gotta go cold turkey on that now. :haw:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that's beautiful :aaa:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

effika posted:

It's literally just a couple of feet of broken rib stitch, too. Maybe I ought to submit my beginner's garter stitch scarf-- it was once admired by a regionally famous guitar player. That's probably good enough, right?

:bang:

It wouldn't be so bad if they present it as "Hey Gaiman fans! Interested in knitting? Here's an easy scarf you can make once you learn the basic stitches! Welcome to the hobby!"

The crazy thing is that There's a matching Sherlock hat that goes with it but Knitty doesn't mention it at all. Same photo shoot and yarn and everything!

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Wow, I've never seen that rant used outside of video game mods and webcomics before.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Just wanted to share with everyone that I managed to shove an size four bamboo knitting needle under my thumb nail.

That's all.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

left_unattended posted:

Jesus, Wandering Knitter, :nms: that poo poo :cry:.

Everyone's going to develop a bamboo needle phobia with me, drat it. :colbert:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Aw hell, I love Westknits but I really don't need another project to start.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I got the yarn for a hitchhiker and it somehow prolapsed into a yarn knot I can't begin to unravel. :smith:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
For the love of God and all that is holy do not use Lion Brand Homespun for your shawl.

"But it looks so warm!" You'll say, "And I love all of the colors!"

It's a horrible trap set by Lion Brand to crush your soul as the yarn pulls apart AGAIN because you pulled it too tight and your needles just broke through the yarn again and oh God there's puffs everywhere where did all of these puffs come from they're in my lungs send help.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
My Mom asked for "a nice warm wrap" and picked out homespun for it. She never asked for anything before that, and years later she's still using it.

Love you, Mom.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I've met crocheters who swear that it's far less of a pain to crochet with than knit. So it might work?

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I knitted a tiny alpaca with some leftover alpaca yarn once? :v:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Finally, a sock pattern that speaks to me!

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Oh hey new Knitty, let's check it ou-

Wow uh. That's...

Yeah I have nothing nice to say here.

Idea: Knit this in silver and go as a generic thug from an 80's action movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006