Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

madlilnerd posted:

I like the sweetspot one a fair bit, but honestly, I'd rather do it with cheapo yarn odds and ends or recycled jumpers, because the end result doesn't look to me like it's worth the financial investment of all those yarns. It's a pretty cool effect, but still, it just looks so hodge podge that you might at well buy a ton of cheap yarn and space dye it yourself.

Oh there is no way in hell I'd buy the yarn they suggested. I'd just try out the various variegated yarn I have just to see what happens. Actually that sounds fun. I'll have to remember it after Christmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Midnight Sun posted:

I love felting. :)

Most my projects are felting. It's just so much fun, and I get to cheat when it comes to sewing!

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

justFaye posted:

Is it Fun Fur? I hate that stuff. I made a hat for my boyfriend's niece last year and it was the most hideous project I've ever worked on. She ended up looking like a Russian with a pastel barf hat (the hat, when worked with that yarn, looked like one of those stereotypical Russian fur hats). At first it felt soft, but the most I handled it, the more it would trap the moisture from my hands and then feel "squeeky." But she loved it anyway. She's also 7.

There is a layer of hell reserved for the man who invented fun fur. I swear every time I teach someone how to knit that's the yarn they show up with. It's fragile, impossible to catch fallen stitches, and just so :gonk:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

madlilnerd posted:

I had no idea that people learnt to knit on anything but cheap DK acrylic and a pair of 4mms.

:ohdear:

I showed up to my first knitting lesson with a ball of Lion's Brand chenelle in black. Not also was it impossible to tell if I dropped a stitch but it broke if I pulled it just a little too tight. I'm shocked the woman teaching me didn't slap me for that.

madlilnerd posted:

My first knitting needles where a horrible pair of pink child sized ones that came with a "look mum I can knit" set I got when I was about 5. They were really flexible and nasty.

My first needles were a pair of bamboo needles my Mom got me as a 'you can do it' birthday present. I still got my lucky number 11s :unsmith:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

philkop posted:

Update. Ok my mind is thoroughly blown. Apparently this isnt knitting at all. But some kind of crazy yarn weaving thing called friendship bracelets.

http://www.friendship-bracelets.net/index.php,

Seems way to intense for me right now, but im going to try to pick it up. Il post if i create anything worth posting. Anyone else tried these?

You don't know what a friendship bracelet is? :smith: Kids these days...

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
We made them at non-religious camp, too. When there was nothing else to do all the girls would sit at the picnic tables and spend hours making them for each other. Every now and then I make an easy one out of leftover yarn scraps whenever I need a a little :unsmith: to get through the day.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I so want a stocking hat but I already have a few dozen handknit hats. :ohdear:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

teknicolor posted:

I have loads of scraps and half-skeins, so what is everyone's favorite scrapbuster pattern? I've been making tiny mittens for xmas giftwrap pizzazz, and I've made a few small giftbags too, but I'm getting bored with those, so give me what you've got please!

Bunny Nuggets

http://rebeccadanger.typepad.com/rebecca_danger/2009/04/its-the-first-free-pattern.html

Not also are they a great stash-buster, but they're also my Christmas presents this year!

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

On that note: I'm loving DONE with Christmas presents! :neckbeard:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

FirstAidKite posted:

Scarf 1:

This one.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

lol

She deserves it! She insisted on hosting thanksgiving and yet made everything "diet" because she's a fatass and wants to lose weight. Also she owes me money. And about a billion other horrible things.

Just write her a nice, polite email asking for the money.

After I did that my annoying Aunt never bothered me again! :v:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

hollaback grandma posted:

Often white or bare colors don't felt well or at all because of bleaching processes. Even if they're 100% non-superwash wool.

It's true. Every year I forgot this and make a snowman for someone only to wind up with a half-felted monstrosity.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Ozma posted:

Do any of you guys do any needle felting?

I do! :dance:

I highly suggest the needle felting tools made by Clover. Also, be very careful when needle felting if you're holding the item in your hands. :ohdear:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Ozma posted:

I haven't been holding it in my hands, but I think I'm doing it wrong because even when I'm working it on a piece of foam I'm constantly jabbing myself with the drat needle. :(

No, you'll do that. A lot. Like a lot a lot. :(

Ozma posted:

I tried to make a little mushroom and it looks, well, like a 2 year old made it or something.

If it helps I finally found out after doing this for years that Clover sells heavy weight and light weight needles. And here I just thought I kept randomly getting "bad" needles.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Shnooks posted:

So, what's the actual difference between heavy weight and light weight? I saw them and just bought the light weight because I wasn't doing any intense needle felting, but I wasn't sure why I would need a heavier weight.

I swear the light weight needles aren't as sharp as the heavy weight ones. Maybe it's for thinner projects? Like maybe a thin scarf or something? I'm not too sure.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Oh god don't get it on me, I had some kind of loving brilliant idea to knit all but two christmas gifts...starting mid november. IDIOT.

After years of doing this I learned the truth the hard way: Just make a lot of one type of item for everyone. It's the only way you can get through the holiday season in one piece and of sound mind.

This year everyone's getting little plushie bunnies. :3:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

YAY! Welcome to the thing that will eat most of your discretionary income, time, and sanity for the rest of your life! :)

It's true! :v: Beware yarn stores. They're little slices of heaven that will suck your wallet dry. I have a whole box of awesome yarn that I have no idea what I'm going to do with because of those stores. :smith:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

This is why I have so much sock yarn - I can always know exactly what I'm going to make with it, at least GENERALLY, and how much to buy. I have a bunch of single skeins from when I first started too, and I still have no idea how to go "ok, I would like to make a hat of this so I will buy this many". Oh well.

I have a $20 ball of sock yarn sitting on my shelf as a reminder to never let the nice lady at the yarn store talk you into buying stuff.

I don't even knit socks. What the hell am I going to do with sock yarn? :smith:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Anne Whateley posted:

My obsession is gloves! Especially fingerless, but you can do whatever you want. If you go on Ravelry, there are a ton of non-sock patterns for sock yarn because there are a ton of people in your position.

I made fingerless gloves long ago and it was such a nightmare I'm afraid to do it again :ohdear:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Anne Whateley posted:

:ohdear: What went wrong? What pattern did you use?

It was Knitty's Knucks. It was one of my first dpn projects and pretty much everything that could go wrong went wrong. I wore the original pair for years until they mysterious vanished along with a hat I made that my Mom hated.

Or you could sell it to me. What does it look like? :)

It's blue-grey and it's made of CRAB SHELLS or something like that. I think it was accidently packed away with the non-Christmas decorations, but if you're still interested in about two weeks I'll message you :v:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
So at AC Moore's today I saw an automatic yarn winder. And I gotta say it looks dreamy. :swoon:

Has anyone here tried one before?

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Aww Jeez, I've been drooling over that frog pattern for ages. :3:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Okay, I need some help.

My little sister uses a knitting loom, and she wants to start making blankets.

Does anyone know where to buy the large pink loom featured in this picture?

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

CureMinorWounds posted:

Hobby Lobby, they are called Serenity Looms. They're in the needlework department. :D

There's no Hobby Lobbys in my state. :smith: Does anyone know where I can get one online?

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Yargh posted:

EXCEPT mine is looking mad rondo (12-14 rows in):

Congrats to me for making what looks like a bow. gently caress. :byodame:

Oh God :gonk:

Yeah, I agree with madlilnerd. I think you're twisting your yarn the wrong way between knits and purls.

And Christmas presents? Every year one of my Aunts picks up random balls of yarn for me as a present. They've ranged from random goodwill wool older than me, to fancy sock yarn, to cheap dollar store fun fur.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

madlilnerd posted:

So, for Christmas I got 2 balls of Noro Silk Garden, in shade 8 (a sort of oceany mix of greens and blues).

I don't need a hat, gloves or scarf. I don't wear wrist or legwarmers.

What am I supposed to do with it?

Edit: I think I'll do this but larger to make a cushion cover.

You could post pictures for me to drool over. :smith:

Now I have to sit here and not blow all of my christmas money on Noro Silk Garden.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

madlilnerd posted:

Perhaps we could work out some kind of stash swap?

:ninja: Hit me up a PM or on AIM if you want to work something out. I also trade in plushie kittens and bunnies!

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Holy poo poo. I've seen people use swifts and ballwinders before, obviously - well, I've had it done for me at the yarn store, but I never realized it was FUN. Wheeeeeeeeeeee.

Ok maybe I'm easily amused.

At my old yarn store (before it closed :smith:) the owner had two little daughters who'd fight over who got to wind up the customer's yarn. I always bought two balls of yarn just so they could share.

I didn't get anything knitted related for Christmas, but I have a *big* project planned and I'm trying to dig up the courage to buy three "monster" balls of yarn that are like 1900 yards or something crazy like that. I'm trying to find a picture online but I think it only exists in AC Moore stores.

And the bunnies I knitted everyone for Christmas?

They got a "Meh :geno:" from the family.

I don't think I'll be knitting gifts next year. :smithicide:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Man what the hell. Ingrates! Anyone who doesn't appreciate someone willing to take time to make something for them with their own two hands doesn't deserve a present.

This is the fifth year I've knitted gifts for people, and the 3rd where I've just made lots of one type of item but each one is personalized. Maybe they're sick of getting random plushie creatures.

I honestly got more praise and thanks over the oreo truffles I made for the party than the gifts I gave out. Maybe I'll just give that out next year.

Ooh, what are you planning? A blanket? Shawl? Life size stuffed German Shephard?

I'm working on a prototype toy right now, and if it all goes well I'll be sure to post about it. :ssh:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Shnooks posted:

Dude, I wound my yarn on a winder for the first time last week and my yarn looks awful. It's all hosed up and tangled :(((

Suggestions on how to not do it again?

Yarn could have gotten tangled up in the gears, and sometimes non-wools just don't wind up right.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Yes, as fun as it is don't wind it so fast your arm hurts. It's really fun, but not for the yarn! :v:

So next year I've promised myself to actually use my Ravelry account, and to find a knitting group in real life. Maybe now I'll be more social. :ohdear:

e: There's a near endless supply of knitting groups in my state, and yet none even remotely close to me. :saddowns:

Wandering Knitter fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Dec 27, 2009

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

hollaback grandma posted:

:swoon: Why does it only come once a year?!

I would be terrified beyond words to use those dpns. I've broken so many wood needles in my time it's not funny. :gonk:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Etheldreda posted:

I did manage all by myself to lose a ball of Noro Silk Mountain turquoise yarn somewhere in transit, though. My carryon bag was overfull and it must have rolled out in the waiting area or during a bag check or something. :(

There is nothing sadder than losing yarn. Somewhere in my house are two balls of fancy, handspun yarn that cost me $50. Just waiting for me to find them again. I hope. :smith:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I picked up this book with my Christmas money:

http://www.amazon.com/Reversible-Knitting-Brand-New-Groundbreaking-Patterns/dp/158479805X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262307649&sr=8-1

And I was wondering if anyone else here had it. The patterns in the first half are downright baffling in a good way (fake crochet what the gently caress) but there's far more ugly sweater patterns then I would like. :( At least the one bag pattern looks vaguely interesting.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Here's a question for you all.

Would anyone be interested in a yarn swap? Not also do I have that blue-grey sock yarn someone wanted earlier, but I found a stash of bamboo wool an Aunt gave me as a white elephant gift this Christmas.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Actually I was thinking of either making a Destash Swap topic here, or in SAMart

Would people be interested in that?

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
:siren:YARN SWAP THREAD:siren:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3249996

Post everything you got there, and if you have any more ideas for the OP please tell me!

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Ozma posted:

Holy poo poo, shrimp and crab shell yarn? My inner Jew recoils!!!!!

Apparently it's supposed to be naturally anti-bacterial or some crap but I didn't care because I could have crab shells on my feet!

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Robin Sparkles posted:

Found this after following a link in another thread;

http://www.harrietcarter.com/customer-favorites/yarn-organizer/

It looks so cool! My cat would hat it though, because he wouldn't be able to eat all my yarn.

God I wish it was never pointed out that she's knitting a crocheted blanket.

And she's holding the knitting needles like chopsticks.

:ohdear:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

madlilnerd posted:

I told someone this once after they asked me to make them a jumper and the answer I got back was "but you ENJOY knitting! Why should I pay you to do something you enjoy?!"

I just quote that it's cost of yarn plus $10 an hour (ps I'm naturally a slow knitter) and that usually shuts them up. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
My knitting bag is my Timbuk2 bumblebee bag, because I am all types of badass. :c00lbert:

Unless I'm in a rush. Then my knitting bag is one of those 50 cent Wal-Mart reusable bags. :smith:

e: The rest of my yarn lives in four small fabric bins on my shelf. I'm pretty proud of myself. It used to be those plus two large Tupperware bins.

Wandering Knitter fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jan 9, 2010