Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
I knit mostly for other people so most of my stuff is out there (hopefully) being enjoyed by its recipients, but I've gathered up what I could find. Apologies for the horrible quality: I have no real camera so these are all taken with my laptop/cell phone.

Rainbow armwarmer made with acrylic. The little grey square is a mini pocket and I duplicate stitched a Space Invader on it.

A not too remarkable fingerless glove. The only noteworthy things are the color (Lorna Laces Shepherd Socks have the most beautiful colorways!) and the fact that this is the first pattern I ever made up. Unfortunately they're not nearly warm enough for the winter.

My Star Scarf! This was my first time double knitting and I was happy to learn that it is stupidly easy. I get a lot of compliments on this one. Made with Cascade 220.

The ubiquitous Kittyville hat from Stitch n Bitch, wore by my lovely hat model. One of my first pieces, I think. The ears are a little wonky so it looks more like a cow hat or something.

And my current WIP...

This is my first real intaria project (I did another hat, but it was simple geometric shapes, not a full image). The pink is Silk Garden and a bit darker than I'd hoped, the black and white are from my stash. Right now I'm trying to work out the decreases because it would have been far too tall the way the pattern is written.

KNITHULHU! I've made a bunch of these for friends and on commission. People just seem to love the little guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math

combee posted:

I would like patterns for these two if you guys don't mind, they look great and fun to knit!

Like I said, it's from the first Stitch 'n Bitch book, which is definitely worth owning if you don't already.

Kalista posted:

Griffindor scarf out of Cascade 220

Out of curiosity, was the pattern much different from this one from atypically? I've made 4 of these so far as gifts and they are probably the most mindless thing I've made. Good for working on in lectures though. One of my birthday presents this year is supposedly yarn to make a Ravenclaw scarf for myself, ala Prisoner of Azkaban, so I guess this is what I'll be doing in class this term.

Drei fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jan 8, 2008

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
^
You probably accidentally knitted into both loops of your first stitch when you started a row a few times. That can happen if your yarn isn't in the front of your work after you turn because it pulls the stitch back, making it look like there's two stitches. It's a pretty common mistake: just watch for where your working yarn is when you turn and keep counting your stitches to make sure it doesn't change.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math

MallcoreMotion posted:

Neat, I never would've expected a knitting thread.

Do any of you guys own the Domiknitrix book? I've heard horror stories about the patterns but I've heard a lot of good things too.

I own it, but I haven't actually attempted any of the patterns yet (Ordered yarn for Snood though, and Sweetheart and the Red Riding Hood sweater are on my wish list). There are some pretty nice instructions in the beginning though, with nice photo illustrations. Also I appreciate the author's effort to provide pieces that require as little finishing as possible.

Also in regards to left handed knitting: I'm a lefty and I learned English style right handed. I really don't think I was at any disadvantage learning to knit; it's just hard to figure out for most people for a while until everything clicks.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math

Pile of Kittens posted:

No, really, I have the same curse as a lot of knitters. No matter how well things seem to be going, as soon as I try to knit a boyfriend something, it falls apart and we break up. So far sewing seems safe (I made the boy some curtains for Christmas), but I'm too scared to try crochet.

That's actually only supposed to hold true for sweaters...

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
^
If you just want to try out the stitch pattern, figure out what the stitch count is and cast on a multiple of that. Usually that's how many stitches you work before you repeat the pattern (ie something like *k3, p2, repeat from * would be 5 stitches). Depending on the stitch pattern it may be multiples of x + y stitches, if there's a border or something like that. Does that make any sense? If not you could post the stitch pattern and someone can figure it out.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math

Midnight Sun posted:

Does anyone have tips on how to get neat edges? My edges are horrible and uneven, and I've tried the technique on Knittinghelp. Is there some secret trick that I don't know about?

Your two best bets are (I don't know what the knittinghelp one is so you may have tried one of these already):

1) At the beginning of the row, when you insert the needle into your first stitch, pull your working yarn as tight as possible, then knit. Repeat for the second stitch, and your edge stitches will be nice and tight.

2) Slip the first stitch of every row instead of working it. This will stretch your edge stitches over two rows so they look more smooth.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
Plymouth Encore is an acrylic-wool blend though.

I myself tend to shy away from acrylics except for non-wearable things. I just prefer fibers that breath better (also, how cool is it that when wool gets wet, it actually releases heat as it cools?). Not that I look down on acrylic users, just personal preference.

Now mohair, that's one thing I can't wear. Too itchy for me.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math

Strelnikov posted:

Alpaca anklewarmers for my friend's birthday -- they were the warmest thing ever and so hard to give away.

Eeee! Those are so cute and I love the buttons! Do you have a pattern for them?

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
This may be a long shot but I'm working on Knitty's Unbiased and it looks like there's not going to be enough yarn to make the fourth triangle. Does anyone have any leftover sari silk yarn, maybe 50 grams or so lying around? I'd be happy to do a trade. Mine is mostly a dark red but any color is fine, I just don't want to shell out another $20 and not use much of it.

Also I think I want to line the bag, but the last time I tried lining a bag with fabric it was a disaster. I had the idea of knitting the same pieces with a smoother yarn at a tighter gauge and sewing it to the sari silk before assembly, would this work or should I just try the fabric out again and hope I don't ruin the whole thing?

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
From a while back:

machinegirl posted:

I lined mine with some quilter's batik. You can see my crappy pictures here. It took a while with a sewing machine, and it's not the most perfect of jobs, but it works fine, and keeps the bag from getting stretched out. The handle? Not so much.

Do you have any advice for how to go about lining the bag? I'm almost done and I still can't find a very good tutorial. I'm a bit nervous about it because last time I tried lining a bag I totally ruined it.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
I figured out I was wrapping my purl stitches the wrong direction too! Last summer I was working on the Gidget bikini from Naughty Needles, where one cup is all knit garter, and the other was all purl garter, and the second cup was coming out waaaaaay too small even when I increased needle sizes. By the time I was using a needle about 4 sizes larger I decided to doublecheck if I was purling right, and I wasn't!

And then I decided that if purl stitches were actually wrapped counterclockwise, knit stitches must be wrapped clockwise. :downs: But I'm better now.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math

Anne Whateley posted:

2. What yarn should I use? I can't get to an upscale LYS, but I really want to avoid Red Heart or anything similar. What's the best yarn I can get at a store like Jo-Ann Fabrics or Michaels?

I haven't worked at Michaels in two years so I imagine they have a lot of new stuff, but a good cheap one is Caron Simply Soft, so long as you aren't anti-acrylic. It is a bit squeaky but it's also quite soft, comes in many colors, and is very affordable. $2.99 for 270 yds last time I checked.

Lion Brand Woolease is okay, an acrylic/wool blend, not expensive, but it's not super soft.

They have been branching out into 100% natural fibers too. I understand Patons Classic Wool is fairly popular for a craft store brand, though I've never worked with it before. Your store should have a sample swatch of most of the yarns hanging in the aisle if you want to do a little fondling before you choose.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
^
Blocking's only going to help so much with stockinette curling, particularly with an acrylic yarn because it lacks the "memory" wool and other natural fibers have. But if I'm looking at it right, you'll be folding it over so it's double thick and the back of the intarsia doesn't show, right? If that's the case curling shouldn't be a problem.

Nice intarsia by the way!

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math

Lackadaisical posted:

I have a knitting question!

I made a bag from one of the Stitch N Bitch books. I wanted to knit a flower to put on it but have no idea how to go about doing it as all patterns seem to call for a crocheted flower.

Any recommendations on how to knit a flower? Or any recommendations on how to learn to crochet? I bought the Happy Hooker book but it's not helping me learn. At all.

Which SnB book is it? I think it's SnB Nation that has a pattern for a headband with knit flowers on it.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
I've got a question regarding knitting gifts for other people. I'm a compulsive gifter, and seeing as I got a job at a yarn store with a sweet discount, I'd really like to knit a bunch of my friends some small things for the holidays, mostly hats, gloves, that type of thing. So my question is, provided I want to keep these gifts a surprise, how should I go about sizing the garments that actually need to fit? I suppose I could tell them I was doing a phrenology study (and seeing as most of us are in anthropology they might buy it), but are there any other ideas to subversively measure someone?

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
I'm thinking about upgrading from my Denise Interchangeables to a higher quality set. It's been a good 5 years of not having to buy straights or circulars but I'm getting tired of the cheap feeling of plastic needles and awkward twisted cables.

I think I've narrowed it down to Knit Pick Options Harmony or Addi Turbo Clicks. But I'm trying to determine the pros and cons and it doesn't seem to be a clear-cut winner. We sell the Clicks at work so I'd get a discount, though they're still a bit more than the Harmony ones, but I love the look and feel of the needles and the case is very sleek and cool now that they redesigned it. But the Harmony needles look lovely as well and I do like working with wood. Also, apparently the cables don't have memory so they don't retain coils or bends like the Denise and Addi ones. But I don't like the binder-style case with no labels.

Can anyone else throw in their two cents on the sets?

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math

Tatiana posted:

Well the Harmony set is currently on sale.

Okay that pretty much decided it for me. Even with my employee discount the Addi Clicks are still about $60 more and I can't really justify spending that much more money right now. I'll see how the Harmony ones turn out and maybe I'll one day get the Clicks if there's some issue like the cable join key thing, but as is I'm pretty excited.

When I ordered the set, I also noticed that they have interlocking foam mats for blocking for $20. Seems like a good idea, but I found these for a tad cheaper and I don't see why they'd work any better or worse.

Does anyone else use Soak for their knits? I used the Aqua scent for a while but got sick of it/lost in when I moved. But we had a new scent at the store called Sola Evening Garden which I picked up and am loving so far. It's fresh and slightly fruity, almost floral but not so much that I can't use it for guy stuff.

I'm not sure if I've got enough time to do all of my holiday knitting before the holidays. I've been doing mostly smaller stuff, hats and gloves and such, but I foolishly let my guy pick his scarf pattern, and he picks a lengthwise knit linen stitch scarf made with Rowan Tapestry (wool soy blend, very clingy which made it extremely painful when I had to rip back 1 1/2 inches the other day...)

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
Ohmygod we got the nicest yarn in yesterday. Diamond Luxury Cashmere Silk. It looks and feels just like a cloud and I couldn't stop fondling it. It's pretty affordable too given the fiber content and meterage. I got a ball to play with/make a Branching Out for my mom. If I like it enough and since it only comes in white I may try my hand at dyeing it as well, though it would be my first time and I't hate to waste a ball of this stuff.

If you find this yarn at your LYS I highly recommend giving it a squeeze!

VV
Congrats, it looks great! Casting off HP style scarves gives you one of the biggest senses of accomplishment cause it's just so drat long!

Drei fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Nov 21, 2009

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
^^
Blue Sky Alpaca has this cardigan that I plan to make for the boyfriend. Might be a bit pricey if you use BSA but anything with ~20-24 st gauge should substitute.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math

Sex Hobbit posted:

Looks simple, but SPORT WEIGHT? Start it tomorrow and maybe you could give him that for a retirement present XD

BSA sport weight is a misnomer - it's actually between an aran and dk weight. No clue why it's called that. It is lovely yarn, thought.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
Cascade 220 is Peruvian wool, which is not as soft as merino. I do have a few scarves made up in it and it's nice enough but slightly scratchy to my sensitive skin, so I'd imagine it wouldn't be so nice for babies. Also unless you're using the superwash it's handwash only, which most people don't like in baby blankets.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math

Etheldreda posted:

Just when I had finally, finally decided not to add anything to my yarn stash, I got a gift certificate for Christmas. I got a skein of Handmaiden Mini Maiden wool/silk

Handmaiden stuff is amazing, isn't it?! I'm making a seafoam scarf for friend with Lady Godiva right now and I'm a little reluctant to let it go. At work last week we just got a bunch of new stuff from them including 100% Lace Silk in the most lovely colors, but in my experience along that lightweight a yarn is the road to madness...

Does anyone own a Namaste bag? I'm thinking of getting one but am not sure which one. I'm not a huge fan of big bags so I was going to get the Zuma...till my friend pointed out the zipper and fasteners make it look like a grumpy frog. The other one I'm drawn to is the Newport. I don't think I'd ever need space for a huge project but if it was big enough to slip my MacBook in for school also that would be swell.

On a random note, I was working on a project in class today and a random girl asks "Are you knitting? Would you make something for me?" When I said I would if she paid me she replied scornfully "I'll pay for the thread!" :rolleyes:

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math

Scooty Puff Jr. posted:

When I first started knitting at school, EVERYONE asked me to knit them something, from mittens to harry potter scarves, to a full body-suit.

I said I would provided they bought the yarn and paid me for my time, but since none of them want to go to a yarn store to pick up said yarn, I'm still getting away scot-free! (Until someone takes me up on it...yikes.)

I'm fine with making stuff for friends - since I don't want to end up with too many FOs lying around the house unused I usually gift my projects anyways, and if a friend requests something specific I usually just want compensation for the yarn (which if a good deal for everyone thanks to my discount). But yeah, totally random person I've never spoken to before? My time is valuable and I expect to be compensated for that too.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
For storage I've got two sets of interchangeables: the Denise comes in a case that works fine for storage but I wasn't keen on the Knit Picks Harmony bag, so I picked up the Offhand Design Traveluxe which fits the needles and cables perfectly, and also has room for some crochet hooks, darning needles, needle gauge, and I use the zippered pouch for my DPNs. It's also really pretty and fuzzy... :3:

I also kinda covet the Fiona handbag from Offhand but it looks like they're being discontinued.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
I agree that sideways knit scarves make really good dude scarves, but so far I'm digging the look of the linen stitch best:

Made for my boyfriend as a "serious" alternative to his Hufflepuff scarf, using Rowan Tapestry. My dad immediately requested one for his birthday :doh:

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

How does it not curl? When I knit linen stitch it curles up like a sumbitch. I've seen two linen stitch scarves that didn't apear to curl now though.

It's very nice btw!

Thanks! I have no idea why it doesn't curl though; since linen stitch is stockinette based you'd think it really would. v:sho:v It wasn't even curling before I blocked it either. Maybe it has something to do with the fiber? It is a mystery...

I've decided to embark on making my first pair of socks. The plan was once I get the technique down just to make very simple plain socks with my favorite yarns since I'm not really keen on fancy lacy cabled socks. Then I found this pattern and totally fell in love. I think they'd be gorgeous done up in Starry by Dream in Color, but it would also be the most ambitious project I've embarked on.

Maybe I'll get a few plain pairs done before I consider it...

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
You can use pretty much whatever you want in lieu of an actual cable needle, just so long as you can hold your stitches to the front or back of your work and then slip them back onto the right needle. Sometimes if I'm lazy I'll use a DPN of the right size so I can actually knit the stitches right off it without slipping them back.

My friend's got a pretty good tutorial for cables on her blog if anyone's trying to tackle them for the first time.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
So I've finally decided to tackle socks and am on the heel flap right now. I'm following the Yarn Harlot's "Good Plain Sock" pattern from her book, and the instructions say to work the heel for 28 rows "or until the flap is a square". Well, 28 rows later and the length of my heel flap is a little more than half the width. Should I just keep on knitting back and forth until the dimensions are one to one, or are all the extra rows going to mess me up later?

I think part of the problem may be that I'm using a 9" circular instead of DPNs so working back and forth on that is likely tightening the stitches. Should I get the DPNs and redo the heel flap instead?

VV Thanks, I feel less worried now.

Drei fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jan 29, 2010

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math

Dancingthroughlife posted:

I'm looking for a really soft yarn that doesn't felt. Any recs?
E: In worsted weight please!

Off the top of my head, Debbie Bliss Rialto Aran is a really nice soft superwash. Also Blue Sky Alpaca Worsted Hand Dyes (it's BSA though, so not so easy on the wallet!) It's got a really interesting texture to the ply; like the fibers were woven instead of twisted.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math

Dancingthroughlife posted:

^^^
Lol, that's why I haven't bought Harmony sticks.
Thanks for the recs. If I find a gorgeous yarn in a lighter weight, can I double it up to make it heavier?
I love how Blue Sky Alpacas Brushed Suri looks, but I don't know about knitting something so thin.

Two strands of a yarn held together will have a gauge of about 70% the gauge of a single strange. :) So two strands of an aran (18 st gauge) held together will have a rough gauge between 12-13 st.

Anyone else hear about the yarn coming out of NZ with possum as a fiber? We got some in at work and it's quite soft and warm, but on the other hand it's a kill fiber. True, possums in NZ are pests that are destroying the habitat there, and the fibers are a by-product of the government's attempt to cull the population, but I'm not sure I love the idea of knitting with hair that was plucked from a dead animal. :gonk:

Drei fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 1, 2010

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
Haven't done one of these in a while: FO picture parade!

Turn a Square hat, designed by the awesome Jared Flood. Yarn is Cascade 220 and Silk Garden.

Fetching in Cashmerino Aran. Kinda wish I had used Rialto because the yarn is fairly pilly.

Mock Cable Button Scarf, less than one hank of Luxury Baby Alpaca Sport. This pattern was awesome for making a last minute gift for my grandma (done in a day) and is nice since you can use a smallish ball of really nice yarn to make something pretty special.

Lyerka Scarf, a pattern that comes free with Lorna's Laces Pearl yarn (which comes in a clam shell shaped container with a plastic pearl. Really simple, semi mindless lace pattern.

Drop Stitch Scarf with Lady Godiva. I loved this pattern and yarn so much! I was a little sad to give it away, but it was for a friend's birthday.

Hurry Up Spring Armwarmers with Silk Garden. I made these before in Kureyon and was going to remake them with the same stuff but went for Silk Garden instead. Wish I'd remembered I'm allergic to mohair beforehand. :( Luckily my friend wanted to try them on and they fit her perfectly.

Cthulhu fair isle hat! Done in 220. I actually remade it because I wasn't thrilled with the final size and needed to figure out a better way to block.

Foliage done with 2 hanks of Mirasol Sulka. I sorta wished I'd done a different yarn or at least a different color since the lace is somewhat lost on my dark hair, but I'm still happy with how it turned out. Also it forced me to learn Magic Loop since I didn't want to buy DPNs just for the one project.

Branching out, done with only about 2/3 a ball of Luxury Cashmere/Silk. This was for my mom and was a total labour of love. I'm a little embarrassed it took so long to finish since it's supposed to be an easy lace project, but seriously, on 3.5 mm needles each 10 row pattern repeat took 20 minutes and only gave me 1.25". Also the yarn was a bit finicky for frogging. Still, I'm very happy with the finished product.

Geez, it looks like over the past 4 months I've limited myself to hats, scarves and gloves. But I'm finally breaking out of the cycle and my first sock is nearly done. Also my store has asked me to knit up a sample pair of the Prarie Boots from Coco Knits and I'm totally psyched to cast on for them. And once I get the nerve up to invest the time and money I'm going to tackle the Central Park Hoodie.

On a different note, there's a very sweet guy in one of my classes who seems really interested in my knitting, and I'm fairly sure he wants to knit. I am definitely in favour of this, so the question is, how should I get him started? I was thinking of picking up Son of SnB for him but looking at it, it seems more written for women who want to knit for men than for men themselves. I know there's a book out there called something like "The Crochet Dude" which looks like a by men, for men sort of deal: anyone have similar recs for knitting?

Drei fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Feb 3, 2010

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math

Notgothic posted:

I have two copies of Knitting With Balls; people think "oh hey, Notgothic knits and is a boy, perfect!" Assuming I can find the second one, I don't see why I couldn't mail it to you, Drei (if you're in the US). I'll take a look through my room for it this evening. Most of the patterns are interesting, the only really dire one I can remember off the top of my head is this vest. That said, I didn't learn to knit from it (I just asked this girl I was interested in at the time if she would teach me). So I can't say if it's a good teacher or not.

That's kind of you, but I'm actually in Canada. I think I've seen the book at my university bookstore so next time I'm in there I'll have a looksie. Thanks for the rec, though!

Re: pooling - I like the effect quite a bit in the scarf which is nice a big, so it almost looks like striping along the bias. I can see why someone might not like a big honking splotch of color on their sock, though. Also I'm a fairly loose knitter so had I gone down a size on my needles I'd probably end up with something different.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math

Scooty Puff Jr. posted:

I moved to Vancouver about 5 months ago and the yarn stores here are fabulous! Though quite spread out, which is lame for us public transit-takers.

Welcome to the city! Have any preferred LYS so far? (The correct answer is Urban Yarns) :). I don't know if you're signed up for our newsletter, but if you haven't skipped town to avoid the Olympics shenanigans the owner is keeping the Point Grey store open late to watch the torch pass by next Thursday, and there will be wine and such (not that I encourage knitting or especially yarn shopping while drunk, but I;m sure my boss does!)

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
I've agreed to teach of friend of mine to knit since he saw me making a sock and expressed interest (I knew we would be good friends when he asked about the fiber content of my hat and then rather than nodding politely and backing away, actually asked about the merits of alpaca vs. wool). He's meeting me at my store tomorrow so we can pick up some yarn and needles and since it's our Stitch 'n Bitch Friday nights we may stick around for that. Any tips on effective teaching? I know he's specifically interested in socks but right now I'm aiming for a garter stitch scarf.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math

Wandering Knitter posted:

When I teach people to knit I take a long time teaching them how to cast on, since most people find that the hardest part.

Yeah, I've been thinking about that, and how it might be easier if I cast on for him for the first project and come back to cast on later. Because other wise it's like "here's a complicated thing that you do with yarn. Ok got it? Alright now let's learn an entirely new thing that you will do for so long you will forget about the first one". If I get him comfortable with the knit stitch I can at least teach him knitted and cable cast on afterwards.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math

Blackish Sheep posted:

We should be friends :3:

I have a whole collection of bizarre patterns and weird poo poo I've discovered online. Allow me to share some of my favorites:

Knitty: Housefrau

Hey, one of my coworkers designed that!

Anyone else doing Ravelympics? I'm pretty sure the yarn gods REALLY don't want me getting mine done in time; I've had 2-3 yarn tangle situations so bad scissors were the only way to salvage anything, ripped the project 4-5 times before deciding to switch to a new pattern and finally after one more ripping have just completed the ribbing portion of the Razor Cami.

My boss, meanwhile just has to seam the Cowichan sweater she did in a knit-off against another girl at the store and still has ample time to do Sahara for her Olympics project.

At this rate I'll probably not even cast on my Central Park Hoodie before warmer temperatures make it obsolete. This is more or less okay, though, because I am adoring the patterns from Louisa Harding's new books Belle and Bijoux. They're just so unapologetically girly and the yarn is lovely and affordable!

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
Looks like you missed the increase round after the ribbed rows. *k4, m1 to the end will get you 120 stitches.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
If you do a make one increase (lifting up the horizontal strand between the stitches with your left needle and knitting it) you need to make sure you knit that stitch so it's twisted, which prevents a gap. If you pick up the strand front to back, knit through the back loop, and vice versa. The easiest way to figure out how to twist it is to knit it in the way that's most awkward to do. If you're struggling to insert your right needle in the stitch, you're doing it right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
Stockinette based patterns curl, and there's not much you can do about it. Even blocked to hell animal fibers will still find a way to keep the curl. v:shobon:v It's a little late to do this now, but adding a border of garter stitch (knit the first and last 3 or so stitches on every row) helps it lie flat.