Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math

Captain Stinkybutt posted:

I really want to make the Inamorata but there's no way I can afford about $90 worth of yarn for a shirt right now. :( Anyone have suggestions on a suitable substitute?

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEss10/PATTinamorata.php

Debbie Bliss's new spring yarn Amalfi would work. It's a DK weight, mostly cotton but it does have linen and silk in it. Solid colors only, but the texture is pretty neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
Well the threat is called "Show me your knits" so you'd really be doing it a disservice if you did not post these socks. :colbert:

I love Casbah with an undying passion. Socks with cashmere? Count me in! What colorway did you get? (The Sweet Georgia colors are amazing as well, I'm dying to make a pair of knee highs with her Snapdragon colorway, if only to annoy my coworker who hates bright happy colors).

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
I'm trying to decide what my next garment project should be. I'm just finishing the straps of a camisole and want to do a sleeved project because I haven't done one in about 4 years, and that one was just bad news all around (for some reason 18 year old me thought a cowboy jacket made of HOT PINK faux suede tape yarn would be totally awesome). I'm torn between two choices.

1) Central Park Hoodie. I've had this in my queue for ages and thought this was going to be the project I'd recut my garment teeth on. However 1) it's going to be about $100 in yarn (with my employee discount) plus as fickle as Vancouver weather is, I doubt it's going to get much colder from here on out. On the other hand by the time I finish the hoodie it could be well into winter again.

2) Que Sera from the latest Knitty. I don't know what it is but I love this pattern, and the cotton and the lace would make it more suitable for the weather. The yarn would cost $50-$60 depending on if I go with the BSA cotton or the cheaper Debbie Bliss Pure Cotton. I'm also considering making this as a retirement/birthday gift for my mom, but I'm not 100% sure it's her style.

Any thoughts?

On a different note, here are two recent FO's for all you foot fetishists.

Prarie Boots from CoCo Knits (both pictures are the same boots, but you can wear them either way). Since they're for the store as a sample my boss picked out the yarn and buttons so I don't totally love the finished look, but it was a super fun, easy project.

First socks! I ended up not really liking how the colors striped up (looked a lot better in the ball - who thought the green fading into purple fading into yellow was a good idea?) but that's ok because they don't really fit! I know what I did wrong though and hopefully future pairs will come out much better. I used 9" circulars for these which, while being almost half the cost of the bamboo DPNs were a major pain at certain points, namely the toe decreases. I'll have to decide if I want to go through that again or just suck it up and spring for the DPNs.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
They're actually too small around the ankles, but yeah, the ribbing stretched more than I wanted, so I may have to get some needles a size smaller to do those in the future. I think the main problem is twofold: first, I misread the heel directions and thought that I needed to alternate knit or purl and a slipped stitch on every row, not just the right side row. This had two effects: a heelflap made of bulletproof fabric (Achilles would like them, at least) and I ended up knitting about half again as many rows as the pattern suggested. So instead of picking up all the edge stitches I tried to distribute 16 pickups evenly over the 22, which I believe caused the tightness. Oh well, we live, we learn, we knit some more!

VV
True, but that requires some effort of thinking on my part. I like me my mindless knits!

Drei fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 31, 2010

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
I'm at Urban Yarns (the Point Grey location, but a few of my samples reside at the Edgemont location!)

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
Hah, I was semi-believing that until they got to the Aflack fiber.

VV
Hey, don't feel too sheepish. It's honestly not that implausible - my store started carrying buffalo and yak yarn that retails $60 and upwards.

Drei fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Apr 2, 2010

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
I've made Haruha and Branching Out and they are both lovely. Not sure how well cotton will hold the lace pattern, though.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
What about socks? If he's someone who likes practical things warm, handmade socks can't really go amiss.

VV
I think a good quality wool/nylon blend is more hardy than a 10-pack from Walmart, plus even if the wool gets worn away it usually leaves the nylon in tact, so darning is pretty easy. If you don't want to sign yourself up for free darning services though I can understand that.

Drei fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 5, 2010

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
^^
Gorgeous! Aragorn is definitely on my to-knit list once I have a few more basic socks under my belt. How challenging did you find the cabling?

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
My SO's pretty conscientious about my knitting (probably figures if I work myself into tears about a mistake I made then he does not want that anger and frustration directed at him). The worst thing he's done was spill tea on a silk shawl I had on the desk and even then it was chamomile and just made it smell nice. What he does do that annoys me, but isn't really his fault is if he tries to talk to me if I'm counting stitches or rows. My solution is to start counting aloud in a very deliberate voice and he gets the hint (makes me feel like a jerk but it works).

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
There are crochet hooks which are as small as .6 mm, made exactly for the purpose of attaching tiny beads. They're basically a piece of curved wire. I once sold one to a woman because her dentist said she should use small crochet hooks to clean between her teeth. :gonk:

VV
Reminds me of this:

Drei fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Apr 20, 2010

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
What are some shawl patterns that people really like? My mom's birthday is in July and this has been a rough year for her (forced into early retirement by her rear end in a top hat principal) so I'd like to make her something super pretty and lovely. Thinking about using either SweetGeorgia's Cashsilk Lace (soooo soft) or Handmaiden's Mini Maiden (a bit thicker and gorgeous colorways).

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math

Look Under The Rock posted:

I actually love untangling messes of yarn. It de-stresses me for some reason. I wish people would outsource their stash untangling to me.

I've got good news for you!

Join this group and post your location so local knitters with tangles can contact you.

I just found out that Sweet Georgia has added a Yarn of the Month Club in addition to their Fiber of the Month club. I'm not a spinner but I adore her yarn and colors so I'm tempted to drop the cash but I'm always hesitant to spend money on mystery items. $65 for 3 skeins of 4 oz yarn in an exclusive colorway...should I risk it?

I finished sock #3 (the first half in a pair for my boyfriend). It definitely came out better than my first pair but I think they're still a bit tight (they fit me pretty well but my boyfriend swears he loves the fit). I tried doing the ribbing on 2.0 mm needles and switching to 2.25 for the rest but I think next time I freeform a sock I'll knit it all on the same size needles and just do a round of increases after the ribbing.

(my boyfriend's foot, not my, for the record).

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
I saw a pretty cool concept for a book at the bookstore the other day - it was called Socks A La Carte by SWTC. Remember those kid's books where you could dress up the doll or the robot or whatever by flipping each third of the page individually to get all different combos? This was pretty much the same, only with a sock: cuff, leg, and heel/toe. Then it would give you the pattern for each component and you can mix and match to create 100s of sock types.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
When you knit with one color/yarn, each stitch is connected to the stitch before it and the stitch after it. When you join in a new color mid-row, it's not connected to the preceding stitch, hence the gap. As FelicityGS has said, the tutorial on intarsia will show you how to twist the two colors before you start knitting with the new one, thus closing the gap.

On the subject of DIY circs, someone linked me this today: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=6638

I personally wouldn't do it because I can predict that getting a smooth join will be very, very difficult, and if there's one thing (well, one of several) that gets me frustrated is a clunky join. It may be tempting to try to save a few bucks and do it yourself or get some cheap needles (I'm looking at you, Aero), but for me, at least, if I'm not enjoying the process of knitting, it's not worth the savings.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
Finally finished my second Citron!

Going down a needle size from the last one made a huge difference in how it turned out in the silk. As much as I love this yarn the pattern really is more suited to something with animal fibers, to better hold the ruffle. Still, this one came out a lot better (albeit smaller) than my first attempt, so I'm pretty happy with it. Boring as hell to knit though, and the last 12 rows with 540 stitches plus bind off were a little soul draining.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math

Phishi posted:

Anybody got a good resource on how to do small rufflies? I found a shawl I'd really love to do, but it's only to be found on some Swedish website, so I wouldn't understand it anyway. There's also the fact that it's pretty easy to reproduce... as long as I can learn how to do ruffle!

Are the ruffles along the edge? You could try something like what they did in Citron where you do a rapid increase with a kfb every stitch, then work the last few rows and cast off. The increase in stitches will cause them to bunch up, creating ruffles.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math

Socks!

I'm working on Ann Campbell's Circle Socks and so far it's a pretty fun, easy pattern. The circles make a nice stretchy leg if you're having trouble with bagginess, plus it uses an eye of the partridge heel and modified star toe, which you might not have used before, and may find you like the fit better.

Now for my FO spam, because with all the free time I have this summer I'm getting a lot more knitting done.

Second pair of Prairie Boots. I love the color of this yarn much more than my first pair, plus I ad hoc'd a lining with some Brushed Suri which is just exquisitely soft. Plus I finally got down to Button Button in Vancouver and got some awesome buttons (sewing the buttons on took about as long as knitting the slippers, yeesh). The foot's a little baggy but they're for lounging around the house, so I'm ok with that.

An Abrazo for my Mumsy's birthday. I liked this design a lot because I prefer smaller shawlettes, but the short row shaping gave it a nice elongated shape without using too much yarn. My first project with beads! I'm officially a convert.

Bonus cupcake for a friend's birthday:

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
The newsboy cap from SnB Nation uses the plastic canvas you use for needlepoint. Should be easy to find at most big craft stores, and they come in different colors so you can match to the yarn. Can't remember the pattern off the top of my head but I think it used short row shaping to make a wide crescent shape, purled one row so you can fold over the purl ridges, then knit a mirror image of the top part.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math

Is the Yarn Harlot recipe somewhere online, or is it in a book or something?

It's in "Knitting Rules", which isn't really a pattern book but has some basic stuff for the general categories of knitwear. Silver's Sock Class is pretty much the same sock pattern though, just not in formula form.

I finished my Que Sera. It's not perfect and I'm not sure, in retrospect that the color/fit is "me", but it was still good to get my first garment in a few years done. Plus I'm working on a top-down pullover right now and it's nice to see the difference in the construction techniques (definitely preferring top down right now).

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math

I want to knit a sweater for myself, but I have a small waist and enormous boobs and I am not confident in my abilities to make something fitted. I don't want to wear a huge sack either.

I'll just knit for my super-skinny ex or my size-zero mother.

Re-endorsing top-down patterns here. You can try your project on as you go and adjust as needed to get a perfect fit! I made the body of this sweater as the pattern was written, found it was too baggy, so I ripped back to add more decreases at the waist.

If that's too plain a top, I adore Stitch Diva Studio's patterns. They're all top-down, wonderfully feminine and usually include several variations.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
Finished my pullover!

(Sorry for the crappy mirror picture, no one was around to photo me).

I'm really happy with the way this came out, and it totally sold me on top down designs. The only seaming was for the gaps under the arms, and tacking the cowl down in the back. Also, super easy to adjust the patten for a custom fit! The alpaca was a bit warm to work with and wear for the season, but it's gonna be a sample in my store for 6 months anyways. Soooo soft.

I think I'm going to take a little break from garments though, and concentrate on my Ishbel, some socks, and maybe a few toys.

(Scooty, if you haven't been to Urban Yarns in a while, we just got more Sweet Georgia in! I'm not sure if it's made its way to North Van, but we got her new merino and cashmere sock yarn and the colors are absolutely droolworthy.)

Thank you so much!
VV

Drei fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jul 21, 2010

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
Obviously I'm biased because I work there, but I really enjoy the SnB we have at my store Friday nights. It's not huge right now in the summer, but in a way that's nicer to have the 3-4 regulars in and the occasional drop in. The demographic is pretty narrow at the moment - all women in their 20's, but we have a nice range of conversation from knitting to movies to our personal lives. Last Friday the new-ish girl who was always pretty quiet finally piped up to ask what this Ravelry we were all talking was. The ladies all looked at her for a moment and then one of them said "We...are about to change your life." :3: Knitters!

Unfortunately, I believe that the SnBs at the North Van location were canceled indefinitely, due in part to a crazy lady who was obsessed with the employee's special brand of tea, and a girl who worked in sex toy store and was way to graphic in relating her sex life.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
Not too mention the lack of competition for dates within a knitting circle! Not that I'd like to date a knitter...it would ruin all the mystique of knitted gifts. Plus I'm sure we'd fight over the last skein of sock yarn.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math

How do you change how the colors will pool? I knit a pair of socks for my sister with some awesome variegated yarn, and while the first sock knit with one color making a spiral, it made a blob on the other sock. Is there a way to alter how they'll stack up?

Even changing needle size or the stitch count by a bit will make a different in how the colors stack. There's a book, Knitting Socks With Handpainted Yarn which goes into pretty elaborate detail about pooling and how to alter it.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math

Wedemeyer posted:

What's easier to knit socks with, DPNs or circulars? I tried out some DPNs but they kept slipping out or getting in the way or suddenly I'd end up with two needles working. :confused: If I use circulars, I'll still need some DPNs to do the heel, right?

Hiya Hiya makes 9" circulars which I use for socks. You don't need DPN's for the heel, you can just knit half your stitches then turn your work to knit back and forth. It does get tricky when you're doing the toe decreases - I manage by doing a pseudo magic loop for the last rows, but good golly it is uncomfortable to do. So it's up to you if you want to put up with that, or DPNs, or doing a combo.

Roflex posted:

Does anyone make fixed-cable circs in larger sizes with larger diameter cables? I've got some 9-13 US circs which are nice for doing quick hats but the stitches on the cable ALWAYS shrink and I end up not ever able to keep a consistent gauge because of it, and half the time have to physically pry the stitches back "up the ramp" onto the needle part because they've shrunk so much.

e: Basically I'm looking for Big Fat Circs with Big Fat Cables.

Addi makes their Turbo needles with up to a 60" cord, with the full range of needle sizes up to a 20mm (which has gold glitter in it, for some reason).

EDIT: Whoops, misunderstood the question. I know that the BIG needles from Addi have nice fat cords, but I think for the sizes you're looking for, they're still the regular cords.

What cord length are you using? Maybe if you use a shorter one (16" if you're not already), the stitches will bunch up more on the needles and not slide?

Drei fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jul 23, 2010

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
I fell in love with a color combination today, in a mulberry/merino blend yarn. It's a hot pink paired with an off-white, almost goldish. Now I need a pattern to combine the two.

I'm thinking a beret/tam style hat, with some colorwork. This is the best I've found so far, and while I'm not in love I'll be happy enough to make it if there's nothing better. It's mostly the fair isle pattern I'm not digging as much; I like less traditional patterns like the Beaumont Tam or Fiddlehead Mitts. Does anyone have any pattern recs for a DK weight yarn? I could probably make it work for a pattern written for worsted weight too.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math

Yarn! posted:

when the bus went over a bus.

See, a bone needle should be the least of your worries when this happens.

Okay knitters, I'm bringing my decision for hats to you guys. Which should I make, this or this? I would have to take a pattern repeat out of the Selbu to make it work for my yarn, but that should be fine.

The yarn I'd be using is this lovely stuff in Oatmeal and Cherry.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
Finished my Ishbel!

I blocked this sucker three times in the past 2 days...the first time the cast off was WAAAAAAY too tight and I had to redo it which made me very unhappy. Second time I tried blocking in on my mats but they weren't big enough, and third time I used my mattress and I got it more or less the shape I wanted it. I'm finding the more I like the look of a lace pattern, the less I enjoy knitting it. Ishbel's charts were very repetitive and kinda boring yet they were different enough (5 different charts!) that I couldn't turn my brain off. But I really love the look of the finished product!

Right now I'm trying to churn out some smaller projects - a bunch of little toy monsters, a second sock, a third glove (lost one, had enough yarn to make a replacement), and my dad's birthday scarf, but I'm already anticipating some of the larger projects I have queued up for the cooler season.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
Some people say that I'm a little neurotic the way I organize my knitting projects/time but I find it works so that I get through projects relatively quickly without getting burnt out on any one of them. Basically, I have it so if I have free time/hands in any situation, I'm knitting.

One project goes in my purse, usually a sock, which gets done when I'm in a bus/car. Since I moved to within biking distance to my school/work, my sock progression has become minimal.

Another one goes in my backpack, usually something bigger, and not much more complicated than a plain garment or a simple lace pattern. I knit these ones in class, and since this summer I'm taking two classes which meet twice a week for 3 hours, I've made a lot of progress during these.

One for the coffee table for casual TV knitting.

One for my desk for things that require more focus.

I also go to my store's SnB once a week and that gets me another 3 hours of knitting. If I'm hosting the SnB rather than coming on my own time I pick something easy so I can respond to customers without messing up.

Maybe it's a tad obsessive, but having something to do every moment of the day makes me happy!

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math

madlilnerd posted:

I've wondered about this, as I have a 20 minute bus journey to work, but I don't want my project to get filthy. The yarn I'm using at the moment is drawn from the outside of the ball, so I just know it would jump out of my bag. And my bag gets pretty grubby on the inside (shoooooes) so I'd have to have a bag for my knitting, which would mean I was taking 3 bags to work (I put my handbag inside my backpack so I don't have to transfer stuff between bags constantly).

Namaste makes really nice bags of different sizes with lots of compartments for all your belongings, knitting included. I like them because they have magnetic closures instead of zippers, so yarn won't snag. If you didn't want to get a whole new bag for all your stuff, you could also look into project bags with drawstrings (Blue Sky makes some that are appropriately called Pretty Cheep Bags), or the cheapo alternative, as mentioned before, a ziploc with a hole poked through.

Zombie Pirate posted:

How do you guys get away with knitting on the bus (or in class)? Every time I try, I get the evil eye until I put my needles away (I've been using 5mm dpns, so it's not like I'm brandishing a giant pointy thing). I'm thinking circulars might help this, but I'm not sure. I can understand people not wanting me to knit in class, even though I never knit things in class that I really need to pay attention to (because I should be paying attention to the lecture).

Are you getting the stink eye from passengers on the bus, classmates, profs, or all three? If it were me personally, and it wasn't like the prof was telling me outright to put it away, I'd just ignore them and knit on. Who cares what random strangers think of your pastime, so long as it isn't actually disrupting them? I do usually use circulars though, so there is less of a chance of accidental pokes.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
So the slippers I made a while back are comically big and floppy around the foot and I'm thinking about felting them a little so they fit better and have more structure. Anyone have any advice for selective felting? The ankle and leg fit fine; it's just the foot I want to shrink. Also since the upper part has a suri lining and buttons I'd rather avoid getting that part wet, if at all, so I think I'll have to do it by hand. Just not sure the best way to go about doing it.

Drei fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Aug 8, 2010

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
Welp, since it's in the round, I can think of two ways of working in. Knitty has a hat pattern which incorporates intarsia in the round but it's kind of a pain in the rear end. My suggestion would be to use duplicate stitch, which I think would be fine so long as the triforces are on the smaller side (I've used them to stitch initials into Harry Potter scarves).

Drei fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Aug 12, 2010

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
Finished my cabal of monsters! They were all balanced on my bookshelf last night so it was a bit creepy trying to get to sleep with them all staring at me.

Penelope

Albert (should have used bigger needles, his arms are way too stiff. Also, just a bit :downs:)

Frances (I think she turned out the best)

Olivia

Maddox (the gooniest of monsters)

Bonus Knithulhu (who, much like an infant, cannot hold his own oversized head up on his own)

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
Thanks everyone, I'm glad you like the monsters!

When you knit blocks of color with intarsia, when you switch colors you're leaving the tail of the previous color on the left hand side. If you're knitting flat that means you come back to the where you left off when you dropped that color (since you turn the work) and can pick up that tail no problem. But when you're knitting in the round you're coming around to the right hand side of the block every time, but your tail is on the wrong side.

I hope that makes sense. It's definitely easy to visualize than explain in text.

As for your info sheet, what you have sounds pretty good. Only other things I might recommend is an explanation of gauge (which a lot of newbies have trouble grasping - the relationship between yarn weight and needle, etc), and maybe a suggestion for a basic knitter's toolbox (scissors, darning needle and so forth) and possibly some good beginner's books.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
I made Frances Revisted (and posted it a few pages back). I used Misti Alpaca Worsted, which looks like it's pretty comparable to the Berroco (both worsted, 50/50 alpaca/wool blends). So if you like the yarn, I say go for it! It's a pretty quick pattern and easy to add additional shaping if needed.

One thing is that even though the pattern uses 6mm needles, I ended up going up to an 8mm (and I'm usually a loose knitter) to get gauge. I think since it is alpaca you definitely want this to be a loose knit so you don't swelter.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
I love those.

Aaaaand I'm on the hunt for the perfect cardigan pattern, which is eluding me. At work we've got two new colors in Rowan Lima, a dark red and a purple, and I'm infatuated with the two together. I really want a little cardigan to incorporate both colors together, but my hours on Ravelry have yielded nothing. I'm thinking either something with small cables, or with a one color fair isle on the yoke.

So far I'm thinking of doing this one in purple, with the sleeves and bottom in red, but I'm not convinced. Anyone have any recommendations? Lima's a 20 st gauge.

Drei fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Aug 23, 2010

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
If it's an exposed edge (ie not going to be seamed) I usually slip the first stitch of each row purlwise (rather than knitting it). This stretches that edge stitch over two rows and makes it look neater.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
No, every row. Don't knit the first stitch, just slip it. That way it only gets knit when it's the last stitch in the row - ie it is only knit every other row.

EDIT: Now with possible helpful photo?

This is the center panel of a blanket I'm making, which is done in garter stitch. I've slipped the first stitch of every row. See how the edge stitches look kinda big and loopy? Once I block it that extra slack will go away as those stitches are forced to stretch over two rows, which results in a much cleaner looking edge. Also note that near the stripe I accidentally knit that stitch, hence why it is looking rather lumpy.

Drei fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Aug 24, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
Gorgeous colorwork!

Here's a few things I've recently completed - nothing too exciting, but it's been a productive summer!

Crazy Zauberball socks! The colors didn't photograph quite as crazy as they are in real life, but I'm happy because these are the first socks that fit my feet relatively well!

Fairly boring linen stitch scarf for my dad's birthday. (Why can't dudes be more fun to knit for?)

The Brattleboro Hat, featured in the newest IK issue. Totally not my colors but it was for a store sample. Buttons!

A Marian Cowl. This literally took two hours, done on 15mm needles. I was chatting with my boyfriend on Skype as I was working on it, and he kept laughing at me because of the comical size of my needles.

On a slightly unrelated note, today Amanda Seyfried came into my store, and I learned that she 1) has excellent taste in yarn, and 2) hates knitting on DPNs.