Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
You can always go down a few needle sizes if you want to get a smaller gauge without having to knit tightly.

You also didn't mention what length of circulars you were using (and what type of project), but if you're using too long a circular for the project, the stretching that the stitches are forced into will shrink them as a result. So long as it's still long enough to hold all the stitches, a short cord may help a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math

Grabbed this one, thanks!

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
Buy one get one free pattern sale from Tin Can Knits!

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
Since knitting in the round makes a spiral, your last stitch of your bind off row is going to sit slightly higher than the first stitch, and they're not joined together so it can also gap. If I'm doing a BO in the round and I want it to look more smooth, I'll pick up a stitch or two from the beginning of the bind off row and continue the BO with them - makes it look more evened out.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
Circulars limit the circumference of what you can make (general you should use a cord that's shorter than the circumference of your knitted item, though not so short that your stitches are popping off), at least if you're using them traditionally and not doing magic or traveling loop. DPNs don't have a circumference limit, though some people find them fiddly, especially for the first few rounds.

The thing with hats though is they get smaller at the top, so you can't really knit the entire thing on circulars unless you do use one of the loop methods. So if you are doing a bottom up hat (cast on for the brim and decrease for the crown shaping) on circulars, you will eventually have to change your method when the stitches are too few to fit around your cord. You can absolutely use DPNs from start to finish, provided they're long enough to accommodate your stitches without slipping off either end, though a lot of beginners get nervous trying to juggle them. I personally (and recommend to people not comfortable with DPNs but want to learn) to start off with a 16 or 20" circular for an adult hat, and switch to DPNs when the decreases make it hard to keep going. That way you have a relatively stable bit of fabric made that keeps the stitches from sliding around too much when you switch.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
I've never been drawn to any of the stashbuster blanket patterns - I've seen some nice ones where the color scheme works out, but I use so many different colored and pattern sock yarns that it would look too hackneyed and not something I would display in my apartment.

I am, however working on a pair of Frankentights that I will wear the poo poo out of when they're done.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
Yeah, we got Tudor Roses in at my LYS. It is SUPER pretty, not sure if I would ever make something from it, but the pictures and styling are fun to page through. It has a good amount of history on the Tudors, especially the women in the family.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
Stitches South (also in April) is held in Atlanta if you're willing to make the drive. If it's anything like Stitches West it's got an enormous vendor hall you could easily spend 2 days in, plus tons of classes taught by well known designers and instructors.

I don't think there's much comparable to WEBS, but you may want to look up other yarn stores in the area (Yelp reviews usually give a good sense of customer service, I use Ravelry to get an idea of what yarns they sell). If you go visit be sure to chat with the employees there if they seem friendly, maybe mention you guys just moved here and they may have recommendations including yarn festivals or knit nights (some stores host weekly ones). You can also go online to see if there are any local knitting groups (searching groups on Ravelry for your city may yield results, or meetup.com). When I first moved to my city I was feeling down about too, and finding a group where I fit in was one of the best things I could have done.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
I feel your pain, the mohair content in Silk Garden feels like a torture device to me to knit and wear.

Beyond the other, non-mohair varieties of Noro, Crystal Palace makes self-striping yarns in fingering and worsted called Mochi and Mochi Plus, and Knitpicks has Chroma which is similar, all single ply yarn with gradual color changes. Not quite like Noro but I like it.

Schoppel also makes striping yarns I quite like, in lace, fingering (Zauberball!) and worsted. The worsted has possibly my favorite color way name: Wer hat die Kokosnuss (who has the coconuts?)

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math

Aergo posted:

Does anyone here knit socks on those tiny 9" circular needles? I received one in the mail instead of some dpns I ordered and I'm wondering if they're worth trying out.

I love mine and use them for socks all the time, but they're not for everyone. It feels awkward and uncomfortable for the first few rows, but once you have a bit of fabric knitted I find it gets a lot smoother.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
No need, I just work back and forth with half the stitches and keep everything on the needles.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math

jomiel posted:

My cardigan is done :D
ravelry page

It's the Featherweight Cardigan from Knitbot, done in fingering weight KnitPicks sock yarn with my new HiyaHiya size 6 needles (they are so great!). Took me a month though I only have 1-2 hours knitting time per day.

I love that pattern. Surprisingly quick for a lace or fingering weight.

Super random but do you have the same username on Ravelry? I noticed a jomiel recently joined the message board for my knit group though I don't think we've met at one of our meetups yet. (If it is you, you should definitely join us soon, we're awesome).

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
Knitters on Tap, we meet pretty much every Wednesday and sometimes on the weekend. I usually work till 8 but try to swing by after. We are very nice and welcoming to new people!

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
It's easier than fair-isle but about half as fast (since you're knitting two pieces at the same time, essentially).

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
Well this is upsetting. I met her at Stitches this year and she was super sweet and seemed passionate about her work. Her yarns and colors some of my favorite - and it seems like too many dyers have closed their businesses in the past year or so.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
Yeah, uh...professional hand-dyers are a little more involved than hobbyists at home with a pot and some Kool-Aid are. It takes a lot of practice and skill to obtain consistency when you're making the types of colorways we're talking about here. Plus there's all the other aspects of running a retail and wholesale business, which I've witnessed get the better of people who don't have to deal with serious chronic health issues.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math

jomiel posted:

Darn, looks like I just missed it tonight! I'll try to make the Nov first week one :) I live in the Sunset but I have not ever gone to a knit night before and I want to find new knitting friends.

Yo - I actually moved out of SF a few months ago, but some of the best people I knew there were from my knitting group (Knitters on Tap, Wednesdays in the Lower Haight.)

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
TCK makes really great patterns worth spending the money on, and are lovely women, to boot. I've used their Simple Collection to get a few people starting on knitting, or knitting particular items they were afraid to. I finished the Lush cardigan and really enjoyed its construction.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
Sweet Georgia is having a spring cleaning sale tomorrow, both online and at their studio. I'm tempted to go there but I just bought a huge amount of yarn from Princess Animal's closing (including some Sweet Georgia stuff).

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
There's sadly not too many LYSs in the city any more (the one I used to work at just closed at the start of 2015). If you're willing to go to East Bay, A Verb for Keeping Warm is really good, and if I recall correctly carries fiber.

Probably the best LYS in the city proper is Imagiknit which has two big rooms full of yarn, but I vastly prefer Verb because the selection just seems better curated and easier to browse through. Imagiknit is in a great location though, so you could make an afternoon of yarn shopping, getting ice cream at Bi-rite Creamery, strolling Dolores Park, and then checking out the stores on Valencia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
You could consider adding the design with duplicate stitch after the fact.