Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Midnight Sun posted:

What kind of knitting technique is this? It looks really awesome! :aaa:

I'm curious about that too. I only recently started knitting and I'm pretty bad at it, so I'm doing simple projects, but I want to step it up a bit. I started knitting a tube scarf last night with circular needles, going well so far!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Kalista posted:

I forget what the stitch pattern is called, I think it's a herringbone of some sort, but the scarf pattern is here: http://www.sheepinthecity.prettyposies.com/archives/000079.html and a video explaining the stitch is here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qenzg_-uAl0 . I've made two scarves with the pattern and it is a really cool look. It ends up taking more yarn than a normal scarf would, and it's best to use larger needles (by two sizes or so) than the yarn calls for because it's a very dense stitch.

(Hope you don't mind me answering, Antis0ciald0rk. Your scarf is fantastic and you're I will definitely keep my eye out for that yarn, it's gorgeous!)

Thanks so much! It doesn't look too difficult, it'll just be a little tricky to get used to.

I also found this video, which shows it more up close, so that could be useful too for anyone trying to learn this stitch.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

I have a pretty dumb question. I'm used to knitting from balls of yarn, but now I ordered my first really nice yarn, and it comes like this:

How do I knit from this? As in, how do I pull the yarn?

I'm ridiculously excited about knitting with this :D

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Midnight Sun posted:

elbow: Make someone hold it out for you and roll it into a ball before knitting, like this:

or use one of these:

effika posted:

If you do not have a yarn swift or a patient friend as Midnight Sun does, you can also use one of those spinny lampshades (sometimes you have to loosen the nut on the top).

If you want to wind a center pull skein, it's dead simple. It's best explained in pictures, so I'll point you here.

Thanks to the both of you. Anyone have any advice on how to convince my boyfriend to sit still for such a long time? :D

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

DaisyDanger posted:

I was feeling adventurous last night and bought some circular needles and the set of 4 needles with the pointed ends. This pattern I have calls for only 18 co and they recommend circular needles, so how on earth am I supposed to do this with circular needles? I don't even get the "science" behind it.

Use magic loop knitting: http://www.knittinghelp.com/apps/flash/video_player/play/14/1

If you haven't made anything with circular needles before, it's really easy, but you might want to watch the videos on this page just to see how it's done: http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/advanced-techniques.

Great custom title by the way :)

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

I'm making a really simple scarf for my boyfriend, 24 sts, 4k 4p etc, so basically just a really broad rib. Of course now that I've started it, I noticed that the edges are curling up along the length of the scarf. The yarn I'm using is Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Chunky, it's 55% merino wool, 33% microfibre, 12% cashmere.

Can I block this after it's done, and if so, will that stop the curling?

edit: Okay, I think it'll be okay if I just spray it and block it that way, so I'm going to keep on knitting this. If anyone thinks this is a bad idea though, please let me know ;)

elbow fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Feb 8, 2008

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

MallcoreMotion posted:

Ribbed scarves are pain in (my) rear end. I found a pattern a while back for a ribbed scarf that started to garter a few stitches in the beginning of the row and again at the end. So like... k4,p4, k4, p4, k4, p4, k4. Then second row, you would k8 p4, etc. You get the idea. And apparently the garter on the edges is to prevent it from curling.
A few years ago my friend made me a ribbed scarf but it curled really bad and she didn't know to fix it. So I tried to block it and it didn't do poo poo. I ended up tearing it apart.

Here's a neat pattern for a rib scarf:
http://www.fuzzygalore.biz/patterns/reversible.shtml
And another:
http://www.crazyauntpurl.com/archives/2008/01/mistake_rib_wha.php

The one I mentioned before was on a guy's knitting blog and I can't find it to save my life. But those two links have really neat patterns that I'll probably try when I have time.

Nevermind, I found it. 1) I'm retarded and bookmarked it a while back, 2) it's not a guy's blog, it's a site labeling the scarf as a guy's scarf and 3) Tada!
http://www.ballostringdesigns.com/free/knit/bensscarf.html

Thanks for the advice! I guess I'll start over and do a k2p2 pattern with two strands of yarn, that should help. I just hate switching yarn every two stitches :)

boobookitty posted:

I personally learned from the first Stitch 'n Bitch book, and that was after trying to learn unsuccessfully from a couple of sources before (one of those learn to knit kits and Knitting for Dummies). As mentioned before in this thread, http://www.knittinghelp.com is an invaluable resource, especially since it shows you how to do stitches in both the continental and English styles. Sometimes books can have confusing diagrams, and that's where the videos can come in handy. But I know people who absolutely feel that they need to be taught in person, too. It all depends on what you think works best for you.
Stitch 'n Bitch is quite clear, but when I started learning how to knit, I found it hard to learn from a book because I didn't 'get' the way the stitches work to form something. My mom showed me how to do a simple rib, but after that I learned almost everything from videos (knittinghelp.com and youtube).

Now I'm really enjoying learning how to do new stuff -- on Friday I learned how to do a zigzag and cables all by myself, you wouldn't believe how proud I was, haha.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

MallcoreMotion posted:

Would it be easy to do on circulars?

If you're talking about the double knitting technique from the video: absolutely. If you look at her needles, she's actually using circulars.
I recently bought a bunch of bamboo circulars for dirt cheap, and I'm using those as regular needles. All you do is turn the work as you would with regular needles, you don't use the cable for anything, just pretend that the needles aren't connected.

edit: If you mean knitting in the round and then sewing the top and bottom to make it flat, I'm sure that's not too hard either, just follow the pattern and when you've reached the end of a row in that pattern, continue in the circle and do the same row but in opposite colors.

elbow fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Feb 18, 2008

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

jomiel posted:

^^ that looks great!

I'm looking at these bamboo needles on Amazon: circular & DP. These seem like a good deal--and I wouldn't need to buy a straight needle set because I can just flip my work on the circulars around, right? Is there ever an instance when I'd want to use single point needles?

That is a good deal, but you might be able to find them even cheaper on eBay. It's worth having a look.

I can't tell you whether you'd need to use single point needles ever, but I haven't had to. I guess it would keep your work neater since the needles are the same size all over, whereas the tube on circular needles is often smaller than the bamboo.

Midnight Sun, I really like that scarf! Usually not a big fan of pink, but I like the combination :)

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Does anyone here have experience with felting in front-loading washing machines?
I'm supposed to check on the felting every 5 minutes, but I can't open the door before the water has drained, and every felting guide I've read so far says that you shouldn't keep the project in the machine while it's draining.

Can I leave the project in while it drains anyway, or will that really damage it? I don't see how it would, to be honest, since draining doesn't involve any spinning.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Thanks guys, that's very helpful. I just knit a swatch and will be felting that tomorrow. It's fairly thick and rough wool, so I'm sure it'll be fine.

I'm making a handbag, so the fit isn't too important at all. Unfortunately it's a bit too big for me to felt it by hand :(

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Midnight Sun posted:

Remember, boys and girls: Always label your left over yarn! Or else, you'll encounter felting disasters like this:

Superwash + felting = DO NOT WANT!

I guess I have my work cut out for me tomorrow...

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Oh wow, that's awesome. I love the handles and the flap!
Do you have a pattern for this?

I felted a swatch yesterday and it turned out fine. I'm about 75% done knitting the bag, so hopefully I can felt it this weekend :)

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Thanks. I'll probably wait a while (finish my other projects!) and then see if I want to shell out 7 dollars or find a free pattern that looks like it.

It's so cute though!

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

jomiel posted:

Hahaha. Now I want to try to make a felted bag too. I was thinking about Knitty's french market bag as a lunch bag--but I haven't felted anything before. If I make substitutions with some Patons or other wool, would matching up the gauge of the swatch be enough? And as for felting, do I just reach into the washer water and fish up the bag to see how far it's progress? Or how would I do it?

Also I'd like to try out lace, but it's not really my style to wear shawls or wraps. What other applications can I do lace besides making pillows and table coverings?

Obviously I'm no expert, but I'd make a swatch beforehand and felt that, just to make sure that it shrinks at about the same rate as the yarn in the pattern.

It's probably also smart to read this guide, just so you know how to do everything.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Anne Whateley posted:

What fun pattern would incorporate some new stuff and be a step more difficult, without taking forever to knit up? I've done tons of scarves (because rectangles are easy), and I'm not really interested in socks (I'm scared of 'em, too).

What about a bag? Easy and fun, and there are so many different ones out there! If you're on Ravelry, I'm sure you can find a pattern you like there :)

E: Beaten by 15 mins, but I still think it's a good idea!

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

As much as I love Ravelry, this makes me cringe so badly:

Anyway, I'm making the Doctor's bag right now, and have gotten to the sewing and lining part. I really want to line it to make it a bit firmer (and to be able to put a piece of plastic at the bottom), but I don't have a sewing machine. I can sew by hand fairly neatly, so do you guys think that'll be okay?
I'm really dreading sewing together the sides and base, having to pick up stitches there, but I think the bag will look awesome when it's finished :)

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

http://techknitting.blogspot.com/

That's a really good website, I'd never seen it before. I'm saving lots of useful explanations, and I suspect I'll be spending quite a few hours there today. I don't think I've ever seen explanations and illustrations that clear.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Kalista posted:

Here's a taste - stitchingnut's needle-felted tea cozy.

Holy poo poo. I mean, I'm not a big fan of it per se, but that's amazing work.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Kalista posted:

Hahaa, speaking of your avatar, this project was mentioned in that thread several times:

bluecanarygirl's caterpillar cardigan

Oh, that's so adorable :) I'm totally going to make this one day (way in the future, when I have the skills to make this and to be a mommy).

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Does anyone know of any good online guides/videos to learn how to spin with a (top whorl) drop spindle?

I think I understand it, but there seem to be different techniques out there, particularly when it comes to the way the yarn needs to be hooked onto the spindle.
I have yet to actually buy a spindle and roving, so maybe it'll become clear once I can actually practice it, but I'd just like to read some more about it.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

So I'm making this entrelac scarf, really simple, but I've come across something I just don't get.

I'm at the first all-block row now, which started on the WS. The pattern says to pick up and purl 7 stitches, but how am I supposed to do that? Do I pick up one, move it to the left needle and purl it, pick up the next one, move it to the left needle and purl it? Right now I'm just picking them up and not purling them, since the squares are more like rectangles anyway, I figure the fewer rows the better, but am I doing this horribly wrong?

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

So I do still have to purl them? Wouldn't that look weird, with the yarn half wrapped around the stitch?

I'm secretly just continuing like this :pseudo:

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

After reading a Knitty article just now about picking up stitches, I've discovered that while I thought I was simply picking up stitches, I was actually already picking up and purling :downs:

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

You have a few options:

- If you're not completely frustrated with books yet, try Stitch n Bitch to learn some basic techniques. There have been a few other recommendations for books in this thread.
- Try to find a local knitting group, I'm sure there's someone there who is willing to teach you!
- Watch the videos at https://www.knittinghelp.com I find them very clear and easy to follow.

Try a local charity or second hand shop for bigger needles if you don't want to buy 'proper' ones from a yarn shop, and get yarn that is easy to knit with. Maybe you could get needles from a family member who knits?

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Seerows Kindness posted:

What is the "right side" and "wrong side"? It's hard to google for a picture or site that'd tell me flat out what it is because the terms are so vague. :(

The right side (or RS) is the side your work will be facing when you're wearing/using it, so for instance the outside of a sweater or a hat. The wrong side (or WS) is the other side (quite often the ugly side!) so the inside of the sweater. Even flat items that don't seem to have an inside or outside (for instance a scarf) will often have a right side and a wrong side: the right side will show your pattern/stitch nicely, while the wrong side will show the reverse of your pattern, and often doesn't look too pretty.

When you're doing garter stitch (knitting all rows) both sides will look the same, but if you're doing stockinette stitch, the right side will look like this:

(knitted stitches)

and the wrong side will look like this:

(purled stitches)

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Is Ravelry working for any of you? It's been down since Friday evening (UK) for me, which I think is sort of absurdly long.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

^^^^ This is pretty much why I have yet to do any lace, it just scares the hell out of me, and I would never have enough patience and discipline to actually finish it.

fap posted:

Edit: anyone doing the Ravelympics? I signed up for the Hat Dash, and I don't know if I can do it. (I'm a very slow knitter.)

Hats generally don't take too much time to knit, I'm sure you'll do fine :)
I'm doing WIP wrestling (I have to line my ugly doctor's bag and finish a cardigan/capelet type thing), mitten medley (Endpaper mitts) and Cowl Jump or something.

I'm in Team Zissou, which is the awesomest team out there, obviously!

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

I did two projects for the Ravelympics but only finished one before the deadline. I finished the cowl yesterday, but haven't blocked either of them yet.

My first fair isle project:

And my first time using Noro, still not sure what I think of it. I'm really proud of myself for mastering the moebius cast-on, even if it took me 3 tries to get it right :)

I'm making matching fingerless mitts to go with the cowl, hopefully I can manage with the slightly less than one full skein that I have left!

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Micomicona posted:

Oh those are gorgeous! I'm working on the same pattern (halfway through mitt number two) with Drops Alpaca (mmmmmmmmmmm). I wasn't man enough for the moebius cast-on, unfortunately :(. Once I get my camera working again I'll post pics.

Thanks! What colors are you using? I love browsing through the Endpaper Mitts project page to see what amazing combinations people have made.
Unfortunately I discovered that one of my mitts is short one pattern repeat (:downs:), but after blocking you can't really tell that much, so I'm not going to fix it.

You should definitely try the moebius cast-on, it's so easy! Granted, it took me 3 tries, but that was only because I didn't read the part where it said that every time you loop the yarn from under and then from above the cable, you end up with 4 stitches instead of 2. That would have been a huge cowl.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Whenever a pattern says to knit in the round you will need to use circular needles or double pointed needles.
Some scarves are worked in the round and then blocked flat (Midnight Sun posted a really nice scarf in this thread that's done in the round). The advantage of this method is that you get a thicker scarf, and there's no ugly wrong side, which can be important in case of a 'fancy' pattern.

It's odd that you only have to cast on 8 stitches though, that would make a scarf that's 4 sts wide, unless you have to increase and there's some sort of rounded end to the scarf.

If you need more help you can post the pattern here if you'd like, or if you want to find a different one you might want to have a look at Ravelry to see what's there.

Edit: I misread, I thought you were making a scarf but it's a shawl. I honestly have no idea why you'd knit a shawl in the round since they're generally quite thin and delicate items, not something you'd want folded over.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Oh wow, that's stunning. Quite the project to tackle, but I'm sure you can do it :)

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Phishi posted:

Well, I KNOW the larger ones would come in handy. But smaller ones would be nice too, for those mid-size things to do on circulars, like hats, and big scarves. (I have a lot of family who could use big, warm tubular scarves. :) ) Should I just buy the few smaller ones I'll need for those?

Also, how portable is magic loop knitting? It doesn't seem the easiest to finagle that in and out of a bag... If it's possible though, I'm all over that!

You can use magic loop for smaller things as well, that's the beauty of it!
It's very easy to take with you, too, you just get to the end of a round, which means that half your stitches will be in the middle of the cable and the other half will be on your right needle. Then you move the stitches so that they're both on 1/3 of the cable (so you have a little bit of cable sticking out on one side and the needles on the other), or you can even just move them all together into the middle of the cable (as long as you can easily count the stitches and split them in two again).

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

I'd add 3-4 more tassels per side, it looks really odd now.

I don't really find tassels that hard to make though, how do you go about it?

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Grok posted:

I followed these instructions.
It's more of the "getting them to connect to the scarf and not look cruddy" bit that's annoying.

Ah, yeah. I just wrap it around a piece of cardboard and then use a crochet hook to pull it through the end of the scarf, that way the thickness of the tassel fills up any hole.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Wow, that is such an awesome project. Keep at it, you might be surprised at how much you can accomplish.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

That's really pretty. Reminds me a lot of Veronik Avery's Lace Ribbon scarf, which I started but will probably never finish.

I've entered my first swap, and I'm really excited about it. Just having trouble thinking of something for the small/gift part, but I have 2 months to come up with something :)

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Z Is Overrated posted:

Also, is anyone else really bad about blocking things? I finally got around to blocking a scarf that I had finished knitting a little under a year ago, I've got another finished scarf that's waiting until Friday (when the ironing board won't be in use), and I recently finished a sweater that I know will be ages until I get to. I know I should block my things, but I just don't wanna :(

please validate my bad blocking habits

I hate blocking so, so much. It's not fun at all, and I never have enough space or time to let things dry. Plus I'm a complete retard when it comes to pinning the item to the towel; it all looks great just after I've pinned it, but I come back an hour later and it's completely messed up.
I hate ironing too and I don't even have a decent ironing board, so that method doesn't work for me either.

It's a shame, because I know that all of my knitted items have come out looking much nicer after I block them.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Bad Mitten posted:

Protip: buy some interlocking foam mat squares. I bought mine at Target in the back to school section. I have also seen them in the kids section in the form of a hopscotch mat. You can put them together in various configurations, whether to block a long scarf or a sweater. They stack to store easily. Best of all, they don't hold onto the water as much as a towel, so stuff dries much faster. I even aim a fan at my item to speed up the process. I generally can block a scarf in the evening and have it ready to go by morning.

Mine is solid, but along the idea of this: Foam Play Mat

Thanks, I've seen this recommended before. I'll have to have a look when I next get paid, faster drying and no towels to wash and dry sound like a good deal :)
Any UK goonettes know where I might find this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Awesome, thanks :)