Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
That may be a situation where a boost power supply would be a good plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
OK, help me wrap my head around this one. I created a touch sensor out of a common collector amplifier with a 2n5306 darlington, a +5v bias voltage (for 4.3 at the emitter) and +12 fed to the collector (it's what was set up on my board at the moment). Load is a 2.2v drop LED with a 47 ohm resistor (ignore the bad sizing for now).

Like a good Darlington amp should, I get full current through the LED when I touch the Vbias with one hand and the base with the other. HOWEVER, when I touch my hand to only the base, the LED dimly lights and I measure about 43 mV across the load resistor, calculating to about 600 uA of current flowing! Dividing this by average Darlington gain of 10k, I get a base current of 60 nA. Is this body capacitance at work, or what the hell is going on?

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
Sadly, I have a bachelor's degree in Electronics Technology (kind of a split between component level technician stuff and theory-based Engineering stuff) and have effectively pissed away all of my collected knowledge on the subject because I never use it at my job. Almost 4 years later I'm working with machines that use black-box repairs (Doesn't work? Pitch the whole goddamn board) and I'm so out of practice, I can barely work my way through simple circuits.

But that's about to change! With my sizeable idle time at work, I'm gonna get back into shape. Long story short, thanks for the thread! :hfive:

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Jonny 290 posted:

OK, help me wrap my head around this one. I created a touch sensor out of a common collector amplifier with a 2n5306 darlington, a +5v bias voltage (for 4.3 at the emitter) and +12 fed to the collector (it's what was set up on my board at the moment). Load is a 2.2v drop LED with a 47 ohm resistor (ignore the bad sizing for now).

Like a good Darlington amp should, I get full current through the LED when I touch the Vbias with one hand and the base with the other. HOWEVER, when I touch my hand to only the base, the LED dimly lights and I measure about 43 mV across the load resistor, calculating to about 600 uA of current flowing! Dividing this by average Darlington gain of 10k, I get a base current of 60 nA. Is this body capacitance at work, or what the hell is going on?

How are you biasing it? Also, if you're using the darlington shouldn't you get around 3.6V at the emitter?

Putting things together from a verbal description is hard. Maybe you could invest in drawing it, maybe in a simple CAD program (this goes for people in general)?

And there are a few things in the human body model that could explain it. Capacitance is one. If you continue touching it, how long does current keep flowing?

ANIME AKBAR fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Feb 9, 2008

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I got a resistor, trimpot, capacitor, NPN, PNP, and LED assortment. I also got a 555, 556, and dual opamp.

I figured I could use the 555 to make lights blink using information found in the datasheet. I'm switching on an NPN to avoid burning out the 555.

I model this thing in LTSpice, and the waveform looks good. When I wire it on the breadboard, the LED is always on. What did I do wrong? If I don't hook the 555 to voltage, the LED is NOT on, so I know that's doing something.

Oh yeah, I'm using a slightly dead 9v battery to power the thing, that's why V1 is 8.4V. The voltage hasn't drooped at all in the last couple of days, so I guess I'm not drawing that much current.

R1 and R2 are 50k pots, everything else is fixed resistance.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I model this thing in LTSpice, and the waveform looks good. When I wire it on the breadboard, the LED is always on. What did I do wrong? If I don't hook the 555 to voltage, the LED is NOT on, so I know that's doing something.

The most likely problem is that something is hooked up wrong. Double-check your wiring and component pinouts.
It is also possible although less likely, that your transistor is leaky/damaged. Try another one.

clredwolf
Aug 12, 2006

Biggest obvious fix I see is to move the LED to where it's going into the transistor's collector, not out of the emitter. In other words, swap the LED and the transistor's positions. The transistor measures current flowing from the base to the emitter, so it's probably 'seeing' some pretty weird changes since the LED should be stopping current when off.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Ok, if I remove the LED/transistor entirely and just read voltage at pin 3, still nothing. I've triple-checked everything. I've even duplicated this circuit on BOTH sides of my 556 to no avail. What gives?

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

The talk of flip flops a few pages back brought back horrible memories of my intro to digital electronics class where we made a timing circuit using nothing but flipflops. I can't even remember how one works now!

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Ok, if I remove the LED/transistor entirely and just read voltage at pin 3, still nothing. I've triple-checked everything. I've even duplicated this circuit on BOTH sides of my 556 to no avail. What gives?
If it still doesn't work, make sure the datasheet says it is meant to work on that supply voltage (make sure you're looking at a datasheet for the right type of 555 too).

Also, just to try, take the bypass cap off the control voltage pin. I can see too large of a capacitance there possible screwing things up. 0.1uF is all you'll ever need.

And what does the voltage across the timing capacitor read?

ANIME AKBAR fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Feb 10, 2008

clredwolf
Aug 12, 2006

I just built the circuit with and without the LED and it seems to be working (battery w/8.5V). Check your connections and make sure caps are put in the right direction, etc. If that doesn't work, try a different 555.

clredwolf
Aug 12, 2006
Hmm, anything I should be changing in the OPs now? The tutorials aren't a huge hit, so I'm not looking to update those for now.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Ok, I'm back. I'm still dicking with that 555/556 blinky light maker.

I've put this circuit on a 555 and both sides of a 556. Identical behaviour in all of them.

When I touch the "output" pin to Vcc, the LED latches on. When I touch Vcc to "THRS" it turns off.

This doesn't make any sense. It won't turn on when I hit "TRIG" or "CV" just "THRS". Did I burn out a 555 and both timers in the 556? What other faults could exist?

How can I check to see if my 555/556 is burned out/dead/whatnot?

turbo sex bat 4000
Mar 12, 2001

do you know what the waiting lists are like even to get into an apprentice jerksmanship
What's the best sketchy ebay store/angelfire website to buy luxeon type high power LEDs from?

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Ok, I'm back. I'm still dicking with that 555/556 blinky light maker.

I've put this circuit on a 555 and both sides of a 556. Identical behaviour in all of them.

When I touch the "output" pin to Vcc, the LED latches on. When I touch Vcc to "THRS" it turns off.

This doesn't make any sense. It won't turn on when I hit "TRIG" or "CV" just "THRS". Did I burn out a 555 and both timers in the 556? What other faults could exist?

How can I check to see if my 555/556 is burned out/dead/whatnot?

Umm you should never touch an output directly to a low impedance (either supply rail). That'll kill the IC quick. Touching thresh to Vcc should make the light should go off, so that's okay.

Don't just go making random connections with the Vcc or Ground. Not without some resistance anyways. The schematic you posted will work, guaranteed. If it doesn't, then either you goofed up or a component is dead.

hook it up in astable mode again. Here is a good test circuit for it (maybe use a bigger timing cap so it's slower):

taken from this awesome 555 website, which you should read thoroughly.

Make sure everything is right. Then probe the capacitor voltage. It should be changing between 1/3Vcc and 2/3Vcc. If it's above 2/3, make sure your discharge pin is attached. If it's below 1/3, make sure the trigger pin is attached. If it falls and rises between 1/3 and 2/3, then it's working.

turbo sex bat 4000 posted:

What's the best sketchy ebay store/angelfire website to buy luxeon type high power LEDs from?
What's wrong with digikey?

Wonder_Bread
Dec 21, 2006
Fresh Baked Goodness!
Nevermind, I figured it out.

Wonder_Bread fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 15, 2008

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

mtwieg posted:

Umm you should never touch an output directly to a low impedance (either supply rail). That'll kill the IC quick. Touching thresh to Vcc should make the light should go off, so that's okay.

Don't just go making random connections with the Vcc or Ground. Not without some resistance anyways. The schematic you posted will work, guaranteed. If it doesn't, then either you goofed up or a component is dead.
Yeah, I'm using a 1k resistor as my "test probe".

quote:

Make sure everything is right. Then probe the capacitor voltage. It should be changing between 1/3Vcc and 2/3Vcc. If it's above 2/3, make sure your discharge pin is attached. If it's below 1/3, make sure the trigger pin is attached. If it falls and rises between 1/3 and 2/3, then it's working.

When the light is on, the cap is at rail voltage. When the light is off, it's at 0v. I think these chips are burned out.

phorge
Jan 10, 2001
I got banned for not reading the Leper Colony. Thanks OMGWTFBBQ!

turbo sex bat 4000 posted:

https://www.dealextreme.com

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

sithael posted:

My pack of linear ics had 11 apple II sound chips. I wish i knew how to use them. I also got 26 hex inverters which make easy oscillators.

poo poo I'll take them off your hands. I can figure out how to work them.

iamlark
Feb 24, 2007
huh?
edit: Nevermind, I found the info I was looking for. I just didn't look hard enough.

iamlark fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Feb 19, 2008

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
could you post the whole thing? I can't make heads or tails of the table.

iamlark
Feb 24, 2007
huh?

iamlark fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Feb 19, 2008

Jdohyeah
Apr 15, 2006

You... accuse... me?

iamlark posted:

cool

mrbill
Oct 14, 2002

A Tutorial for Starting with ATMEL AVR Microcontrollers

This is pretty good.

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

I got my Jameco grab bags the other day and drat were the parts crappy. I recommend the Electrolytic grab bag without question but the TTL one was basically 40 line buffers and a few CMOS NAND gates. Nothing really worth it at all. The Analog IC bag was just a ton of poo poo that is basically useless.

I guess you get what you pay for.

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Zupht0r 6000 Turbo Type-R

Cuw posted:

I got my Jameco grab bags the other day and drat were the parts crappy. I recommend the Electrolytic grab bag without question but the TTL one was basically 40 line buffers and a few CMOS NAND gates. Nothing really worth it at all. The Analog IC bag was just a ton of poo poo that is basically useless.

I guess you get what you pay for.

I'm not so sure I can recommend the grab bag for resistors. I didn't get a single resistor between 43 ohms and 2.2K ohms, and the vast majority (over 1/3rd) were 3.3K Ohm resistors. I didn't order the grab bag to get a bag full of the same resistor!

sithael
Nov 11, 2004
I'm a Sad Panda too!
Finally got my Futurlec stuff. The Linear IC grab bags had alot of common ics (alot of voltage regulators though) , but all the grab bags are organized and labeled into smaller baggies. Cool, I hate sorting stuff!

clredwolf
Aug 12, 2006

sithael posted:

Finally got my Futurlec stuff. The Linear IC grab bags had alot of common ics (alot of voltage regulators though) , but all the grab bags are organized and labeled into smaller baggies. Cool, I hate sorting stuff!

That's amazingly awesome. Jameco just kind of lumps everything together and sends it out the door. Sorting parts suck, especially when you can barely read the drat letters on some of those ICs.

And yeah, Jameco's resistor pack was kind of worthless. Lots and lots of 10k ohms, but nothing over 100kohms at all. That's kind of important for some things, you know? Their electrolytic grab bag was alright though, I actually use those.

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

clredwolf posted:

That's amazingly awesome. Jameco just kind of lumps everything together and sends it out the door. Sorting parts suck, especially when you can barely read the drat letters on some of those ICs.

And yeah, Jameco's resistor pack was kind of worthless. Lots and lots of 10k ohms, but nothing over 100kohms at all. That's kind of important for some things, you know? Their electrolytic grab bag was alright though, I actually use those.

I definitely recommend the elecrolytics because they are a good range of values and voltage ratings and are actually useful. Oh i got the potentiometer grab bag and it was good too. Huge range of values and its a pain in the rear end to find proper potentiometer values.

For resistors you can get a presorted box of 1-1MOhm values from most electronic stores.

clredwolf
Aug 12, 2006
I know, I was just kind of hoping the jameco grab bag would be sufficient. I've got some megaohm resistors lying around anyways, so I'm alright there.

Jabab
Feb 25, 2006
Easy question:
If I have 12V DC power supply, with 3 30mW LEDs (3.5V typical forward Voltage typical) in series, what resistor do I need (type, resistance and W)?

scholzie
Mar 30, 2003

If I had a daughter, she'd probably be pregnant by the time she turned 12.

Jabab posted:

Easy question:
If I have 12V DC power supply, with 3 30mW LEDs (3.5V typical forward Voltage typical) in series, what resistor do I need (type, resistance and W)?

No freebies - 3 LEDs, 3.5V each... that's 10.5 volts, yes? 12 - 10.5 = 1.5V

Your resistor must drop 1.5V. I'm assuming you meant 30mA not 30mW. That's 0.03A. So:

R = V/I. V = 1.5V, I=0.03A. Do the math, pick the closest standard nominal value to the calculated R.

scholzie fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Mar 2, 2008

wuddup
Jul 13, 2003

Edit: I won't ruin the fun

scholzie
Mar 30, 2003

wuddup posted:

Edit: I won't ruin the fun

You referring to my [/ma] or something else? I've been up for close to 30 hours now because I was moving and I'm probably nothing (edit: "not" - see?) thinking straight enough to be posting on the internet. I'm too wired from caffeine to go to sleep though.

wuddup
Jul 13, 2003

Nah, I had solved it and didn't want to spoil the answer.

scholzie
Mar 30, 2003

oh, ok. I am apparently paranoid, too :)

Jabab
Feb 25, 2006

scholzie posted:

No freebies - 3 LEDs, 3.5V each... that's 10.5 volts, yes? 12 - 10.5 = 1.5V

Your resistor must drop 1.5V. I'm assuming you meant 30mA not 30mW. That's 0.03A. So:

R = V/I. V = 1.5V, I=0.03A. Do the math, pick the closest standard nominal value to the calculated R.

I would've thought it would be I=0.03A*3 so 1.5/0.09 because there's 3 LEDs. Also there's different types of resistor like 5% 0.25W resistors for example. How do you know what to pick?

SnoPuppy
Jun 15, 2005

Jabab posted:

I would've thought it would be I=0.03A*3 so 1.5/0.09 because there's 3 LEDs.
Nope. The current in must equal the current out.

Jabab posted:

Also there's different types of resistor like 5% 0.25W resistors for example. How do you know what to pick?

P=I*V

In your case it should be 1.5v * 30 mA = 0.045 W

A 1/4 watt should be fine

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Jabab posted:

I would've thought it would be I=0.03A*3 so 1.5/0.09 because there's 3 LEDs. Also there's different types of resistor like 5% 0.25W resistors for example. How do you know what to pick?

Nope, connected in series, the same current flows through all components. If 30mA is going through one, it goes through them all. Once you find your resistor's value, you can calculate the power with P=I^2*R.

From the above, that's 50ohms, so .03^2*50=.045W, or 45mW; a 1/4W resistor is plenty.

Even if they are 30mW LEDs, you can still get a current from them directly I=P/V. .03/1.5=20mA.
Using 20mA, that's a 75ohm resistor, coincidentally at 30mW. 1/4W is still fine.

babyeatingpsychopath fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 2, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scholzie
Mar 30, 2003

Nope, connected in series, the same current flows through all components. If 30mA is going through one, it goes through them all. Once you find your resistor's value, you can calculate the power with P=I^2*R.

From the above, that's 50ohms, so .03^2*50=.045W, or 45mW; a 1/4W resistor is plenty.

Even if they are 30mW LEDs, you can still get a current from them directly I=P/V. .03/1.5=200mA.
Using 200mA, that's a 7.5ohm resistor, pumping out 300mW; so a 1/4W resistor is NOT enough.

.03 W / 1.5 V = 20mA, not 200mA. You can't divide a number by a number > 1 (edit: oops) and get a bigger number than you started with. You'd need a 75Ω resistor.

scholzie fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 2, 2008