Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

I would think a click would just be a very low frequency square wave. To make a metronome it should be as easy as setting up the 8bit PWM in a microcontroller and setting it to trigger at the frequency you want for a very short time. Mixing it with another signal could probably be done on the atmel too provided you had a DAC.

It would look somehting like this I think

Source 1->ADC(within the microcontroller if it is fast enough)->PWM Source->Add ADC value with click value->External Dac

That is my great flowchart!

Edit: Remember you want to sample the ADC at 2x your highest frequency at least otherwise you will be losing tons of high frequency data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

If any of you are interested in headphone amplifiers or Class D amplifiers I have just started a project over at HeadWize, one of the cool DIY headphone amplifier forums. I am hoping to have revision 1 of the design done by this weekend and hopefully get some prototype boards made by the end of next week. And for what it is worth the post I made was pretty informative on the Pros and Cons of class D amplification so IMO it is worth a read if you are interested in the technology behind amplifiers.
http://headwize.com/ubb/showpage.php?fnum=3&tid=7767&fpage=9999

Now many of you who do know a thing or two about amplifiers will ask why are you going to make a design that powerful for headphones and the answer is simply because this is a technology that is incredibly underrepresented in the audio industry because there is a stigma that it sounds bad, when in reality a good design can sound better than the best Class AB amplifier on the market.