Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

riichiee
Jul 5, 2007
What's a quick and easy program to use to simulate logic gates?

For my course I'm learning how to use Altera Quartus II, but I'm not sure if it can do GUI simulations of logic gates. I can do the waveform simulations, but would like some visual feedback (on the actual wiring diagram) of what's happening.

The Falstad Circuit Simulator worked ok for this, but is just a bit clunky.

Any idea's?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

riichiee
Jul 5, 2007
I've got the Block/Schematic file already created.

Basically, what I was hoping to do (if it's possible) was to click on the Input Pin's to toggle them high/low, to see how that effected the schematic.

Currently I use a simulation waveform, which I can set the timings/values for the input pins, which then gives me the outputs.

I'm using the Web Version and currently just getting my head around the software to see what is/isn't possible.

riichiee
Jul 5, 2007
This is basically what I want:

Click here for the full 894x497 image.

I've added the Green/Red lines in paint.

Just to be able to actually set inputs on the schematic high/low and follow the logic through the diagram.

I simulate the logic with the waveform, but at the moment I'm finding it a little clunky, so was hoping for something a little more visual.

Thanks for your help btw ;)

riichiee
Jul 5, 2007
I'm a 2nd - 3rd year Mechatronics student looking to do a variety of projects over the summer to help increase my understanding of electronics and my practical knowledge.

I'm already pretty familar with programming (spent a couple of years coding in C before going to uni as a mature age student) so I'm looking for more hands on stuff. Ie, projects that involve AC circuits, Op-Amps, BJT's, motors etc..

To get myself started, I figure I'm going to need some gear. I would like some feedback on whether these are worth getting or if there's something I'm missing. So far on the list I've got:

- 12V Lab Power Supply.
- Oscilloscope (anyone recommend a good cheap one? Thinking about getting the Picoscope))
- Probably some sort of invertor.
- Various IC's.

Also, anyone got any interesting projects? I'm thinking of maybe making some sort of basic audio synthethiser. Would maybe take in 12V DC and output sine waves at different frequencies with different filters?

EDIT: Is there also a decent (free) SPICE software package that I could use?

riichiee
Jul 5, 2007

Zo posted:

Build your own DSP-controlled inverter instead. Good little project to get started on.
It's always good to build useful things if you can.

Great idea, will look into that.

Looks like i'm going to try and pickup an CRO off ebay. 2 channel USB Picoscopes are $299 AU brandnew, and $399 for a hardware one.

I've already got a soldering iron, although I need to use it alot more as my soldering skills are pretty poor.

riichiee
Jul 5, 2007
I'm trying to order some male to female single pin connectors.

Just something I can connect to a pin on a microprocessor board, then plug the other end into the breadboard.

Any idea's on what to search for? (and maybe an aussie source for them) Since it's so general I just can't seem to find them.

Thanks!

riichiee
Jul 5, 2007
Basically these: http://www.embeddedmarket.com/products/Single-Pin-Connector-for-interfacing/?&cur=USD

But with one male end (not essential, I could just cut the wire) and from an australian source.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

riichiee
Jul 5, 2007

taqueso posted:

I thought they were called flywires, but I got results for "female jumper wire site:au"

How about :
http://www.australianrobotics.com.au/?q=node/213

Cheers, perfect.

Thanks for your help guys.